• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Satoru Iwata won't be able to attend investor meeting this Friday

I wish him well. Hope he returns better than ever very soon. I might not like the direction he is taking Nintendo (at least with respect to hardware) but I respect him deeply and sincerely.

Get well soon sir. You have a world to conquer!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Being the CEO of a big company, especially one so volatile and driven by industry redefining innovations, must be physically incredibly taxing.

Griss

It's always interesting as to how you take health news like this. Is it unlucky that you got seriously ill? Or are you always eventually gonna get sick as you get older and it's extremely lucky that it was caught early when it actually happened?

I'd go for the second. Iwata sounds like he's gotten lucky with this, which is great.

Whether or not he's in the clear, rest up and get well soon Mr. Iwata.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So the meeting is like in 3 hours. Do we know if anyone is going to be live tweeting it?
I believe it's in about five hours.

The 74th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders of Nintendo Co., Ltd.

Friday, June 27, 2014 at 10 a.m. Japan time (reception will open at 9 a.m.)
Corresponds to the following, if I'm not mistaken:

t1403838000z4.png

David Gibson usually tweets from this meeting.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Do we actually expect anything to happen at this meeting as far as game news? Is that commonplace for these events?
No, game news coming from this shareholder meeting is extremely rare, at least in terms of Nintendo presenting something. However, there may be in the answers from the Q&A session some comments about future products. And that's usually what is discussed once the transcript has been uploaded.

More importantly this year is Mr. Iwata's approval rating though.

Rösti;118400717 said:
I believe it's in about five hours.

Corresponds to the following, if I'm not mistaken:

t1403838000z4.png

David Gibson usually tweets from this meeting.

Google tells me it's 7am in Japan, and it starts at 10. I could be missing something in my calculations, though.

Ok I wasn't sure if Dave was going to do it again, but I kind of had a feeling. I wonder if we'll get as much insight into the future without Iwata there. I'll miss his slides. :( But I guess the main attraction this time will be the approval rating.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Google tells me it's 7am in Japan, and it starts at 10. I could be missing something in my calculations, though.
This appears to be correct, I must have made a mistake. This countdown should be correct:

t1403830800z4.png

Does anybody know who will be presenting and fielding questions in Iwata's absence? Miyamoto? Takeda? Will there even be a Q&A?

Get well soon, Mr. Iwata...

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Does anybody know who will be presenting and fielding questions in Iwata's absence? Miyamoto? Takeda? Will there even be a Q&A?

Get well soon, Mr. Iwata...
Takeda, Miyamoto and Kimishima will probably be leading the meeting, yeah. To not have a Q&A at this point in time would not be a good idea, would only create confusion, so I believe there absolutely will be a Q&A session.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Therein lies the problem. Most comments I've read about Iwata are not well-reasoned, simply drive by jabs at either the state of Nintendo or Iwata's character. No amount of reasoning justifies that kind of vitriol and ignorance.

And most of the comments I read defending Iwata are not well-reasoned, simply drive by jabs either the commenters he disagrees with, or the gaming industry at large. Sort of like your drive by jab saying it's just vitriol and ignorance.

It's really best to ignore those types of comments instead of over generalising them to attach those comments to everyone.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
What are the odds of new reveals?
I'd say very low but higher than last year. You can read the Q&A transcript (translated) from last year's meeting here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/130627qa/index.html

I anticipate some questions about the software shown at E3, QOL and Wii U's recent performance due to Mario Kart 8, as well as how Nintendo expects the system to perform during the holiday period and in 2015.

I'll see to making a dedicated thread for the event once we are closer to it.

If Iwata was able to be there, would it have been likely they would detail QOL? Other than today, the next quarterly meeting, or a separate event, when else could they reveal it this year?

Rösti;118404854 said:
I'd say very low but higher than last year. You can read the Q&A transcript (translated) from last year's meeting here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/130627qa/index.html

I anticipate some questions about the software shown at E3, QOL and Wii U's recent performance due to Mario Kart 8, as well as how Nintendo expects the system to perform during the holiday period and in 2015.

I'll see to making a dedicated thread for the event once we are closer to it.

Out of curiosity, do you invest in Nintendo?

I've noticed that you've put quite a lot of thought into this meeting and its potential repercussions. :)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Out of curiosity, do you invest in Nintendo?

I've noticed that you've put quite a lot of thought into this meeting and its potential repercussions. :)
Not currently due to some problems with banking, but I'm otherwise very invested in the interactive entertainment industry. And as Nintendo is a big player and affect a lot of things, I find it greatly interesting following them in terms of operations and financials. I also happen to find Mr. Iwata a nice chap so I'm putting in some extra for this particular event.

Rösti;118403024 said:
Takeda, Miyamoto and Kimishima will probably be leading the meeting, yeah. To not have a Q&A at this point in time would not be a good idea, would only create confusion, so I believe there absolutely will be a Q&A session.

I would imagine Tatsumi Kimishima would do it in Iwata's stead.

Ah yes, Mr. Kimishima. Iwata's possible heir? Thanks for the replies. I will be following this one closely. The insights into Nintendo's business philosophy are always fascinating. Perhaps we will gain a precious morsel regarding Nintendo's future unified architecture. Probably not, but they have talked about it at these events in the past.

According to Reuters, Nintendo Co., Ltd. is refusing to comment on any further details regarding Mr. Iwata's condition...including whether the tumour found in Mr. Iwata's body was benign or cancerous.

This is making me worried about Mr. Iwata possibly having to deal with cancer. :-(

According to Reuters, Nintendo Co., Ltd. is refusing to comment on any further details regarding Mr. Iwata's condition...including whether the tumour found in Mr. Iwata's body was benign or cancerous.

This is making me worried about Mr. Iwata possibly having to deal with cancer. :-(

Well that doesn't sound good :( Hope everything is OK.

ec0ec0

please, arceus, save iwata. We love him :,O

Isn't this a Japanese culture thing? It seems any information in regards to medical issues is left intentionally vague regardless of severity.

Of course by that logic, Iwata would not have revealed his issues in the first place.

Dremark

Banned
I had no idea his medical issues were anything like that. I didn't look into it when I heard he was sick so I just assumed he had some sort of a routine illness he'd naturally recover from shortly.

Anyway, hope he gets better soon and doesn't have any complications of this in the future.

Zalman

I really hope he's fine. :(

BY2K

Membero Americo

That doesn't sound good, that doesn't sound good at all. :(

Mariolee

Will keep him in my prayers. Hopefully the doctors will be able to do the best they can for him. You gotta pull through Iwata. :(

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Get well iwata. You may not be the head everyone wants but you're the head Nintendo needs. I've loved nintendo's output that much more since you've become it's figurehead. I say this as gamer and not as a fan.

maxcriden

Man, that is concerning. I hope he's okay. :(

Top Bottom