• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Drop 5% Following Pre-TGS Announcements, Analysts Comment

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Burai said:
No it isn't. It really isn't.

Cell phone games are the new shit.

Before that Wii was the new shit.

Before that DS was the new shit.

Before that PS2 was the new shit.

What investors want is for them to either come up with the new new shit or jump onboard with the current new shit. Investors want growth. They don't want the companies they've invested in to either stand still or, as is the case with Nintendo, fall back.

What Nintendo are doing are carrying on with the same-old, same-old. That's not going to inspire consumer excitement in their products. It's not going to yield the growth that their investors want.
What customers want is reasons to buy an affordable console, Mario, Mario Kart, Monster Hunter, such system sellers. Nintendo will likely own this holiday season, which will give them traction and growth. This hypothesis is as plausible as the alarmist one, but hey medias, let's talk only about how Nintendo is doomed again.

Cygnus X-1 said:
One can tell Iwata is a developer and not a businessman. And I say it in a good way.

No, he's a smart businessman as well. He should be thinking mid/long term.

This is typical of CEO/Shareholder relations though. CEOs should be caring about the mid/longterm while shareholders only care about short term gains. This phenomenon isn't unique to Nintendo.

One exception to the rule however is Activision, which is focusing almost entirely on the short term (at the expense of its long term health) Kotick probably plans on bailing out of the company as soon as the COD cash cow is milked dry.

E-phonk

Banned
I absolutely agree Nintendo shouldn't release their games on iOS - I do think making iOS apps might be beneficial.

Why not release an iOS app that has the latest trailers? Or the latest nintendo news. A digital "Official Nintendo Magazine" for smartphones? It would take some resources away - but they could also bring the same content to the 3DS/WiiU and build on a digital promotion platform.

Nintendo lacks a bit in their self promotion, while they used to be so good at it in the early 90's with their own tv shows, magazines, etc...

Apple won't let nintendo put a "nintendo power" app on the appstore because it promotes the leaving of the iOS device and playing with a wii or a 3/DS

disco

mutsu said:
Nintendo should just develop strategy guides and sells them on mobile devices for $4.99. Perfect companion to playing the game on 3DS!

And it will just be a troll to the investors.

Have you tried the free Gamefaqs app? I use that.

Burai

shitonmychest57
marc^o^ said:
What customers want is reasons to buy an affordable console, Mario, Mario Kart, Monster Hunter, such system sellers. Nintendo will likely own this holiday season, which will give them traction and growth. This hypothesis is as plausible as the alarmist one, but hey medias, let's talk only about how Nintendo is doomed again.
Sorry, who said anything about Nintendo being doomed?

I presumed that this thread was about Nintendo's stocks and their investors views, not a place for system cheerleading.

Nothing you've said contradicts anything I've said. It's perfectly possible for 3DS to have a successful next year and for Nintendo to still lose stock value.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Burai said:
Sorry, who said anything about Nintendo being doomed?

I presumed that this thread was about Nintendo's stocks and their investors views, not a place for system cheerleading.

Nothing you've said contradicts anything I've said. It's perfectly possible for 3DS to have a successful next year and for Nintendo to still lose stock value.
You are saying Nintendo is staying still, same old, same old, which is not going to yield growth. And that is wrong.

Mario is going to yield sales, MH deal is going to yield growth. Lots of upcoming games will do. Nintendo will update 3DS firmware with new capabilities, they will release a new pink color to attract girls, they will launch and addon to increase control options. They are not standing still.

Following 01Net rumors, medias tend to dramatize things, lots of them ignorant on the subject report alarmist rumors like sheeps. Investors don't know much about videogames neither, nor about Nintendo, and they panick accordingly.

But we should know better.

E-phonk said:
I absolutely agree Nintendo shouldn't release their games on iOS - I do think making iOS apps might be beneficial.

Why not release an iOS app that has the latest trailers? Or the latest nintendo news. A digital "Official Nintendo Magazine" for smartphones? It would take some resources away - but they could also bring the same content to the 3DS/WiiU and build on a digital promotion platform.

Nintendo lacks a bit in their self promotion, while they used to be so good at it in the early 90's with their own tv shows, magazines, etc...

Well, Nintendo/The Pokemon Company did put out a promotional app for iOS/Android so it's not beyond them. Mind you though, they probably wont do it now after the whole Pokemon Say Tap? PR disaster (thanks gaming media!)

Cygnus X-1 said:
One can tell Iwata is a developer and not a businessman. And I say it in a good way.
Shit I had totally forgotten he was a developer.
lRdGj.jpg

Deadstar said:
I wonder if Wii U will be canceled and they come up with something more technologically advanced. What Nintendo will have to do is create games that aren't possible on any other device. I'm talking Avatar quality graphics. Imagine Mario 64 but with Avatar graphics.
Short of buying all the GPU makers, there's not much they can do to keep others from topping their graphical capabilities.

Top Bottom