• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Plunge 17% After Saying Pokemon Go’s Impact Is Limited

Why didn't Nintendo develope the game themselves?

Just because they want to make people believe they still just develop for their own consoles? Seems very childish if that's the case.

Why didn't Nintendo develop Call of Dutuy? I heard CoD sells a ton!

Well, because another company got the idea of doing CoD, not Nintendo. Same as Pokemon GO, the idea of doing a game like that wasn't from Nintendo.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Why didn't Nintendo develope the game themselves?

Just because they want to make people believe they still just develop for their own consoles? Seems very childish if that's the case.

The relationship between Nintendo and Pokemon has always been kinda weird. The Pokemon amiibo don't work in Yoshi's wooly world, for example.

Davey Cakes

Also, Animal Crossing mobile is coming. That's definitely one of Nintendo's more valuable properties as it still sells bucket loads on handheld.

The Boat

We all have a different perceptive

But if Nintendo thinks "fully embracing" mobile doesn't include it's biggest IP's which they would reserve for their NX console, they will be in for a rude awakening

Tomodachi Life, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem are some of their most recent hits, especially the first two among the "expanded" crowd and they've been quite the success as far as "social gaming" goes. Embracing mobile gaming doesn't mean they have to jump in head first and just throw everything on cellphones immediately. The chances we won't see Mario in some form at some point on mobile are pretty low.

Tomodachi Life, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem are some of their most recent hits, especially the first two among the "expanded" crowd. Embracing mobile gaming doesn't mean they have to jump in head first and just throw everything on cellphones immediately. The chances we won't see Mario in some form at some point on mobile are pretty low.

Mario, Zelda, those are the names I'm waiting for

JoeM86

Mario, Zelda, those are the names I'm waiting for

Don't expect main entries of those series on mobile. They won't do that. They said they won't do that. They'll make experiences designed for mobile with the hope it'll bring people to the dedicated devices.

Also, Animal Crossing is bigger than Zelda.

SomTervo

There are several other Pokémon games on mobile, nobody cares.

Not the first mobile Pokémon game.

Yeah but those aren't new. Once people are on a bandwagon, they don't look back, they look forward. Same goes for press outlets. The instant Nintendo would publish a new Pokémon app, no matter how small or shitty, and the press release goes out, the word would spread like wilfire.

Past Pokémon apps are dead and gone. Nobody will pick them back up because there'll be no press release > news outlet > audience informing loop.

Darryl

Banned
an ownership of 10-13% of Niantic for 30M dollars is surreal. that would put the equity in like 300M territory and I don't even know how the company would get that bulky since it would've had to leave Google with that much, since the split and investment occurred alongside production of this game

I would imagine a 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 split evenly between Google, TPC, Nintendo, and employees. I just won't believe Nintendo would have settled for less than 50%.

Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem aren't big for you? Ok...

Zelda isn't bigger than the others title mentioned, especially for the casual audience

I've never played either of those games, so no

Zelda isn't a "casual" game but's well known, they could make a causal game for that IP if they wanted to

Akki

You can choose to disbelieve the PR if you want to, but it probably makes more sense to take it at face value.

You should read Nintendo´s statement. I guess most here have no understanding of accounting. TPC keeps the profits because of taxes and dividends. Nintendo´s profits indirectly because their investment grows in value but this is something that is not reflected on their consolidated income statement.

Nintendo´s share is probably just the trademark licensing.

Nintendo said:
The Pokémon Company is the Company’s affiliated company, accounted for by using the equity method. Because of this accounting scheme, the income reflected on the Company’s consolidated business results is limited.

Its not the stake in Niantic. Its the stake in this project, and I find 13% to be downright unbelievable and an analyst lowball (do not listen to public analyst opinion). Nintendo has a trademark cut that will generally come off of the top of the earnings along with Google/Apple's 30% cut off of the storefront. There is no way I find "13%" as a believable figure.

They have 33%-base ownership in TPC directly, an unknown ownership in Creatures Inc. (its not 10%, that is a made up analyst guess, it has never been disclosed), and a Trademark ownership cut for the characters and Pokemon property. There is a further a large investment from both Google and Nintendo in Niantic directly, and we have no idea how this is being handled whether its shares of the company (as it is private) or funding directly into the project with kick-backs from Niantic's earnings.

There is next to zero chance that Niantic is somehow making more money than Nintendo in this deal. However, if they follow operation as they normally do with external Pokemon projects, the earnings here will not be directly on their own projections but in equity accounting on the side through TPC. Due to this nature of reporting, TPC gains or Pokemon gains on project not directly tied to the mainline games that Nintendo publishes (which will go back to Nintendo) do not show up on the earning sheet directly under Nintendo's own earnings. If the only thing Nintendo is going to factor in to their direct reporting from this app are a trademark cut, then... ya, its not going to amount to much relative to the rest of their business and isn't going to magically swing their reports to some stratospheric highs.

I agree.

JoeM86

No it isn't. It hasn't been relevant for half a decade.

Also he said most valuable not most successful.

"Relevant" is relative. Miis are fundamental to both 3DS and Wii U, are still used for Miiverse etc., and Tomodachi Life, that used Miis and can be considered an offshoot of the Wii Series was very popular, so Miitomo as the first app wasn't a stretch

The guy I'm responding to (Busaiku) said that nobody buys or cares about previous Pokémon apps. You can ask him for evidence. I'm just arguing based on what he said.

Well he has a point. Past Pokémon apps have done terribly even with promotion. The idea that just because it's Pokémon it'll do well is a massively erroneous one.

What the fuck. None of this is true.

The only benefit they would have had as a company was to sell more stock at the inflated price knowing full well the company was over valued on faulty expectations. It would have been borderline criminal to do something like that.
It doesnt jive though. Even an analyst said Nintendo were being disingenuous at best with their statement. The statement doesnt even include the information required to make a sound judgment because it effectively clarifies that the income will be kept off the books in the pokemon company, a company that Nintendo controls (regardless of their 30% public ownership of it, they control the cash floes apparently). So just because you put the pokemon go cash in one bucket (TPC) rather than your publicly traded one (NTDOY) doesnt mean you arent benefitting massively from the cash in take from pokemon go. All it takes is one transfer from TPC to nintendo and suddenly they are doing gangbusters.

Like i said, the more i look into the statement and the situation, the more leery I am of the truth they are trying to paint. It just doesnt jive. There is more than meets the public eye going on here.

Busaiku

No it isn't. It hasn't been relevant for half a decade.

Also he said most valuable not most successful.
Animal Crossing has been one of their most successful franchises in recent years, Fire Emblem has been on the rise. Both are coming to mobile in the next year.
Animal Crossing is probably their 3rd biggest property at this point, far bigger than Zelda.

And there are 3 more unknown games.

SomTervo

Well he has a point. Past Pokémon apps have done terribly even with promotion. The idea that just because it's Pokémon it'll do well is a massively erroneous one.

You're not following me.

My point is that Pokémon has been in a slump for years. The whole brand. Perhaps 'slump' is an exaggeration, but it's not what it was. Thus all the apps they created went nowhere. In Busaiku's words, "nobody cares".

Today, Pokémon Go has come along and totally rejuvenated the brand - beyond even its historic peak.

My point is that if Nintendo released one or more new paid apps now, those apps would do infinitely better than those pre-Go apps, because now the brand has got insane momentum.

I'm essentially saying that while Pokémon Go may not add up to much for Nintendo revenue-wise, it has increased the brand's potential energy so much that smaller products will probably grow huge legs.

Gestault

As someone who said something to this effect in one of the original market reaction threads, this news isn't a surprise. Nintendo is really going out of their way to keep expectations in line, which is a continued sign of their corporate responsibility.

JoeM86

You're not following me.

My point is that Pokémon has been in a slump for years. The whole brand. Perhaps 'slump' is an exaggeration, but it's not what it was. Thus all the apps they created went nowhere. In Busaiku's words, "nobody cares".

Today, Pokémon Go has come along and totally rejuvenated the brand - beyond even its historic peak.

My point is that if Nintendo released one or more new paid apps now, those apps would do infinitely better than those pre-Go apps, because now the brand has got insane momentum.

I'm essentially saying that while Pokémon Go may not add up to much for Nintendo revenue-wise, it has increased the brand's potential energy so much that smaller products will probably grow huge legs.

I disagree. Pokémon hasn't been in a slump. If a slump is what most other franchises aspire to, then gaming is screwed.

You are severely overestimating how "low" Pokémon was.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
You should read Nintendo´s statement. I guess most here have no understanding of accounting. TPC keeps the profits because of taxes and dividends. Nintendo´s profits indirectly because their investment grows in value but this is something that is not reflected on their consolidated income statement.

Well the trump card for Nintendo here might be their internally developed Pokemon Go Plus (which by the way is kind of an example of QoL products - though this is still video game related). This is essentially Nintendo's direct method of profiting from Pokemon Go's success aside from their ownership cuts. How successful it is - or the company predicts it will be is an interesting question.

SomTervo

Lot of my friends have already deleted the app.
Short shelf life with the masses unlike Candy Crush/Game of War etc.

It's a great little app but it's definitely missing some higher-level progression. You can tell quickly that you're not really going anywhere, just building dat Pokédex

We are to believe that Nintendo invested money into a company they hadn't previously worked only to get a trademark licensing fee? I fail to believe Nintendo would do that. I think they wanted to point out that they aren't getting all of the profits out of Pokemon Go but I also don't think they are getting only a licensing fee out of it. Doesn't make sense to me.

JoeM86

Well the trump card for Nintendo here might be their internally developed Pokemon Go Plus (which by the way is kind of an example of QoL products - though this is still video game related). This is essentially Nintendo's direct method of profiting from Pokemon Go's success aside from their ownership cuts. How successful it is - or the company predicts it will be is an interesting question.

Problem is that it seems it has been delayed :/ If the GO Plus had been available when the game just started, they'd probably have made a mint, but the longer they leave it...

SomTervo

What's Go Plus?

I disagree. Pokémon hasn't been in a slump. If a slump is what most other franchises aspire to, then gaming is screwed.

You are severely overestimating how "low" Pokémon was.

Absolutely, I even said 'slump is an exaggeration'; I'm not saying it was dead in the water, of course it wasn't and isn't dead.

Regardless of the whole 'was it in a "slump"' argument – my point is that, brand-wise, Pokémon Go is going to generate loads of revenue for them because it thrust Pokémon back into being a global cultural phenomenon. Nintendo specifically can harness this by putting out small phone apps alone. Indeed, apps which didn't do much for them in recent history (as noted by Busaiku).

Also, Animal Crossing mobile is coming. That's definitely one of Nintendo's more valuable properties as it still sells bucket loads on handheld.

Sure. And Animal Crossing games came to the 3DS and Wii U with Amiibo support and those went over like a fart in church.

Just because it's an IP doesn't mean it'll be a good title.

Busaiku

You're not following me.

Pokémon sales have been increasing the last 3 years, that's not a slump.
It made $1.5 billion in 2013 and $2 billion in 2014.
And it was $2.1 billion in 2015, with no mainline release.

JoeM86

What's Go Plus?

Absolutely, I even said 'slump is an exaggeration'; I'm not saying it was dead in the water, of course it wasn't and isn't dead.

Regardless of the whole 'was it in a "slump"' argument – my point is that, brand-wise, Pokémon Go is going to generate loads of revenue for them because it thrust Pokémon back into being a global cultural phenomenon. Nintendo specifically can harness this by putting out small phone apps alone. Indeed, apps which didn't do much for them in recent history (as noted by Busaiku).

You can't believe that Pokémon Comaster or Shuffle Mobile, if released now, would be huge hits.

SomTervo

That's great, thanks for letting me know - forget I ever said it. Again, it has nothing to do with my argument.

My point in this thread is: Pokémon Go has boosted the brand into being an unprecedented global phenomenon again, and while Nintendo might not get much/any revenue directly out of the app, they will be able to capitalise on this massive popularity if they play their cards right (e.g. by publishing new paid apps or Pokémon games on other platforms - though the latter are higher risk). Basically: The massive share sell-off could be dumb because Nintendo may still get a lot of revenue from it in the long run if they play their cards right.

You can't believe that Pokémon Comaster or Shuffle Mobile, if released now, would be huge hits.

They don't need to be good, or be hits, to make money off the back of something like Pokémon Go. You don't seem to understand how mainstream audiences work. Once something enters popular culture with force, people will consume anything/everything they can about it. And apps are such a low-cost and low-risk venture it's much easier to make money with them.

Like imagine how much the toy merchandise companies are making off it. Nintendo need to get on that.

LordRaptor

As someone who said something to this effect in one of the original market reaction threads, this news isn't a surprise. Nintendo is really going out of their way to keep expectations in line, which is a continued sign of their corporate responsibility.

Given the nature of videogames as a business, I am sure it is also very much in their interest to retain longer term institutional investors rather than short-termist cash and run investors, which this kind of announcement will dissuade.

Even if they don't make money directly from the app, surely the cultural craze surrounding it will bring some positive energy to the Pokemon brand?

This only means anything (from shareholder perspective) if people become willing to further invest in Pokemon merch / media and Nintendo's main business of selling the consoles that those games are played on.

The alternative is if Pokemon GO somehow becomes a consistent Candy Crush/Clash of Clans-type earner and Nintendo absorbs/buys Nicalis and takes that reinvented directly. Or they release other 100% in-house apps that they get all the revenue for, this is worth more (again from shareholder perspective) than only 13% from their ownership in Nicalis.

Of course, but the surge in stock was nothing short of lunacy. It was impossible to maintain irregardless of the scenario.

Edit: so are Nintendo still worth more than Sony now or what?

Trup1aya

what I'm saying is, it's very ignorant value the stock so high based off a single game.

But someone seeing the success of Pokemon go, bet on other Nintendo IPs to being similarly successful on mobile, then the valuation would have made sense

Akki

We are to believe that Nintendo invested money into a company they hadn't previously worked only to get a trademark licensing fee? I fail to believe Nintendo would do that. I think they wanted to point out that they aren't getting all of the profits out of Pokemon Go but I also don't think they are getting only a licensing fee out of it. Doesn't make sense to me.

It´s problably not a lot. I think it´s something like this.

30% Apple/Google
5-10% Google Maps
10-15% Niantic (Ingress data + development)
~50% TPC/Nintendo (I list them together, lol)

Niantic´s share is quite low, first they need to get their development cost back. Second just because you have a 30% share, does not actually mean you get 30% of the whole profits. It depends on the contracts and this is something no one outside the involved parties know.

I´m not saying Nintendo screwed up, this is simpy how they decided to handle the Pokemon IP when they set up the Pokemon Company 20 years ago.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Picture from Forbes:

pokemon-go-owns.jpg

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nintendo created the Pokemon franchise, but the rights to the characters are held by The Pokemon Company. Nintendo owns 32 percent of The Pokemon Company and is reported to hold a similarly sized stake in Niantic, the U.S. lab that developed the Pokemon Go game. Niantic was a Google internal startup before being spun off, and the search giant remains an investor.

From 13%, to similar percentage to TPC in Niantiac (even other facts from the articles are wrong)

Mess.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nintendo-shares-plunge-16-percent-914091

No. Nintendo are idiots.

Unless they are intending to buy more shares of themselves at a lower price. But that would be considered illegal by the SEC, to try to bring your own share price down so you could buy shares.

Not only did they issue a statement saying they dont benefit when that clearly isnt the case ( since they own TPC) but now they are letting the 13% rumor go unanswered yet again.

I see why they did what they did but it literally makes no sense why they chose to release that dumbass statement now.

I more or less have the same harsh level of thinking - like, there had to be a more strategic way to put out their statement which essentially cost them 6 billion.

A lot of people in this thread seem to be downplaying this as a small amount, and I know little about stocks so I guess it's still pocket change, but I think anyone higher up who sees this loss will immediately begin to fire the PR team lol.

Armadilo

Banned
Everyone thought that Nintendo had finally cracked the mobile market but turns out. Nope!

Nintendo needs to actually release games on Mobile

Top Bottom