• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario Odyssey (8 mins), ARMS/Splatoon stuff (5 mins), Fire Emblem Warriors (3 mins), Zelda DLC (3 mins), Mario/Rabbids for surprise announcement (5 mins), Skyrim/Fifa/NBA 2k/indies trailer (3 mins), Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (delayed, 3 mins)

That's what I'm expecting.

Jubenhimer

I have hopes:

If Retro is shown and looks good/up my alley, points in my good book. (I think if 2018 games are shown, this is a more likely one but it may be something I'm not sold on).

If Metroid is shown and looks good and proper, many points in my good book. (I can't be sober about this. I always foolishly half believe there'll be a Metroid announcement).

If Fire Emblem is shown and looks to be a return to form wrt story/characters/world, many points in my good book. (Again, a more likely 2018 showing but given recent expanding on the benefits of "console" FE, I don't think IS means what I want them to mean.)

If varied Japanese support is shown for 2018, ranging from PS4/Switch multiplatform titles to 3DS successor titles (like, say, an Ace Attorney game), many points in my good book. (Japan seems like it was quite wait-and-see on Switch/over-invested elsewhere and tends to be slow to adopt anyway so I can't expect much here, even if 2018 games are shown).

If Atlus in particular shows off JRPG(s) looking like 2018 or so, many points in my good book. (SMT Switch looked far off. Unclear how much is going into these late 3DS remakes).

And I think some of these are more likely than others but none of them is something I'd count on happening.

Throw in Nintendo's announcement habits, which have in recent history failed to excite me, and even if they turn out to have these games, Nintendo might not announce them yet.

And then throw in the fear of a monkey paw, which is a very real possibility if, say, Metroid does show.

Nintendo's recent habit of announcing games much closer to their actual release may be unorthodox, but it at least adds an element of surprise. All of a sudden, a game you'll be playing very soon gets dropped. Plus, it also makes sure you have something to play in the near future.

If you're worried about amount of content, all you have to do is look at the April Direct. Nintendo's shown they can cover a lot of ground in only 30-35 minutes. So the worry that they won't have a lot of content shouldn't matter since time length doesn't matter, what you do with the time does.

There's a chance Nintendo could blow it, but there are reasons to believe they'll be okay.

balohna

Mario Odyssey (8 mins), ARMS/Splatoon stuff (5 mins), Fire Emblem Warriors (3 mins), Zelda DLC (3 mins), Mario/Rabbids for surprise announcement (5 mins), Skyrim/Fifa/NBA 2k/indies trailer (3 mins), Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (delayed, 3 mins)

This seems realistic. Make room for info on online subscriptions. Hoping ARMS and Spla2n are footnotes, and Mario is just a short trailer. I also hope Rabbids is at the Ubisoft presser instead (part of the third party sizzle reel here). This would clear up room for a couple of surprises. If Animal Crossing, Metroid or Mother have announcements (just 1/3) I'll be very happy. Or a cool new IP.

I wasnt expecting much from FE Warriors. But after I saw the images and knowing it is all voice acting, in think in terms of quality, I'm expecting this to far surpass Hyrule Warriors and it could catch some people by surprise.

takriel

All it takes for me is Retro's game not being DK and a Metroid teaser for Holiday 2018. Then I would say that Nintendo did a great job.

Kinsei

Banned
I wasnt expecting much from FE Warriors. But after I saw the images and knowing it is all voice acting, in think in terms of quality, I'm expecting this to far surpass Hyrule Warriors and it could catch some people by surprise.

Eh, it will need something as deep as adventure mode to surpass HW IMO.

Wildo09

"I love this world because you're in it."

Yeah the story will be bad lol.

Ugh, so much cringe. It just needs to be as good as Xenoblade 1, that game had what many considered a generic story but I really liked it, the pace of it especially.

sinonobu

Banned

They said focus on 2017 titles not exclusively on 2017 titles.

MoonFrog

Nintendo's recent habit of announcing games much closer to their actual release may be unorthodox, but it at least adds an element of surprise. All of a sudden, a game you'll be playing very soon gets dropped. Plus, it also makes sure you have something to play in the near future.

If you're worried about amount of content, all you have to do is look at the April Direct. Nintendo's shown they can cover a lot of ground in only 30-35 minutes. So the worry that they won't have a lot of content shouldn't matter since time length doesn't matter, what you do with the time does.

There's a chance Nintendo could blow it, but there are reasons to believe they'll be okay.

They're going to have to dip into 6 months plus for interesting surprises, imo.

If not, we get this:

...with perhaps some small bells and whistles.

They will have an incredibly boring E3 if they do not pass December 2017 in a meaningful way.

Winter/Spring/Summer/Holiday 2018 games are where the good surprises and announcements would be, and it is uncertain how deep Nintendo will be drawing from that well. And then they might not draw exciting announcements in their limited draw anyway.

takriel

Ugh, so much cringe. It just needs to be as good as Xenoblade 1, that game had what many considered a generic story but I really liked it, the pace of it especially.
That's what I'm hoping, as well. And charming voices, of course. I think the British voices helped a lot in making me care for these characters.

suaveric

Let me try this out, I'm basing this on a 32 minute runtime of their Spotlight.

2min Intro, remind people of two days of Live Treehouse coverage that will expand on everything they show in the video, also a reminder for the Spatoon 2 and Arms tournaments.
7min Mario Odyssey footage with talking heads explaining their inspiration from Mario 64. Still labeled as a "Holiday" release even though we know the release date is November 17.
4min Spotlight on FE Warriors, releases in October
2 Min Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Trailer, delayed to early 2018
4min Spotlight on Skyrim, releases in early November
3min 3rd Party Titles Mega Trailer including first look at FIFA and NBA 2k
2min Indies Titles Mega Trailer
3min A peak at 2018 for Switch, showing Fire Emblem and another 2 unannounced games.
2min Mega Trailer with a mix of all the 2017 games coming from all publishers
2min One last thing, Retro's 2018 game. Probably not Metroid.

In general I think this is going to all killer, no filler. Minimal or no skits or people talking about their inspirations for the games. They'll save the inspiration stuff for Tree House when they can interview developers live. Mario/Rabbid crossover is for Ubi's press conference. I don't think Nintendo will dive to deep into it for their video, it will just be in mega trailers. I don't think Nintendo will have anything to say about Arms in the video because it launches that week and I think Spatoon 2 will also have minimal coverage in the Spotlight.

I also think the Look Ahead to 2018 portion could include Retro's game, that it won't get a separate trailer. Also possible that it might be the only 2018 game shown other that XC2.

considering how quickly they went through their last direct, i think this could be ok. If it wasnt for that, i would be more concerned

Red Devil

Let me try this out, I'm basing this on a 32 minute runtime of their Spotlight.

2min Intro, remind people of two days of Live Treehouse coverage that will expand on everything they show in the video, also a reminder for the Spatoon 2 and Arms tournaments.
7min Mario Odyssey footage with talking heads explaining their inspiration from Mario 64. Still labeled as a "Holiday" release even though we know the release date is November 17.
4min Spotlight on FE Warriors, releases in October
2 Min Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Trailer, delayed to early 2018
4min Spotlight on Skyrim, releases in early November
3min 3rd Party Titles Mega Trailer including first look at FIFA and NBA 2k
2min Indies Titles Mega Trailer
3min A peak at 2018 for Switch, showing Fire Emblem and another 2 unannounced games.
2min Mega Trailer with a mix of all the 2017 games coming from all publishers
2min One last thing, Retro's 2018 game. Probably not Metroid.

In general I think this is going to all killer, no filler. Minimal or no skits or people talking about their inspirations for the games. They'll save the inspiration stuff for Tree House when they can interview developers live. Mario/Rabbid crossover is for Ubi's press conference. I don't think Nintendo will dive to deep into it for their video, it will just be in mega trailers. I don't think Nintendo will have anything to say about Arms in the video because it launches that week and I think Spatoon 2 will also have minimal coverage in the Spotlight.

I also think the Look Ahead to 2018 portion could include Retro's game, that it won't get a separate trailer. Also possible that it might be the only 2018 game shown other that XC2.

Something I can agree with is that unless one of the already announced titles gets pushed to 2018, I don't think we'll see anything that doesn't come out this year.

MoonFrog

That's what I'm hoping, as well. And charming voices, of course. I think the British voices helped a lot in making me care for these characters.

I'll probably buy Xenoblade, but I'm not feeling it.

The combat is good as far as MMO-lite JRPG goes, but that isn't going very far...really hoping that they either find a way to make that work better for more interesting role playing and party play or that they do an experimental turn-based system like Takahashi's 90's Square games (which they won't do :().

And then, yeah, really not feeling the art beyond the fact that I assume the game will have interesting play with scale, for which the games are known.

Soundtrack will probably be good too, from who is involved.

Forkball

That's not hard when they only have like three games to get out in that two year span...
Pokémon Sun
Pokémon Moon
Pokémon UltraSun
Pokémon UltraMoon

That's four games right there!

I don't care when it comes out, please announce Animal Crossing Switch. It'll still probably come out before Kingdom Hearts III!

D_prOdigy

Is 'sales talk' thing a meme or something. Because I can't recall any platform holder (at least not Nintendo) talk about sales at an E3 presentation for about eight years

takriel

I'll probably buy Xenoblade, but I'm not feeling it.

The combat is good as far as MMO-lite JRPG goes, but that isn't going very far...really hoping that they either find a way to make that work better for more interesting role playing and party play or that they do an experimental turn-based system like Takahashi's 90's Square games (which they won't do :().

And then, yeah, really not feeling the art beyond the fact that I assume the game will have interesting play with scale, for which the games are known.

Soundtrack will probably be good too, from who is involved.
I think the OST and world design will both be great. But I share your concern regarding art style. It's a terribly generic anime style. It doesn't help that the female characters we've seen so far seem to be plagued by those awful anime tropes. Blushing, shy personality, big boobs, their love interest (male protagonist) being the sole reason for their existence, etc.

sinonobu

Banned
Something I can agree with is that unless one of the already announced titles gets pushed to 2018, I don't think we'll see anything that doesn't come out this year.

The fact that they used the word 'focus' suggests that they will cover games that will come out on early 2018 just like the April Nintendo Direct.

I mean it's crazy to expect 10 new announcements but expecting 2~3 surprises are perfectly reasonable.

Are they still doing the "headlines" thing?

If so, they could fit more in that 30 minutes than they used to fit in an hour since it removed the fluff.

Just back-to-back-to-back trailers.

CheckMate

It's sad that Nintendo still doesn't believe the hype of a good conference.

With a 30 min run-time, and the (typical) Nintendo focusing on the uninteresting, we would be lucky if we get more then teaser for Xenoblade 2, a game which isn't on their current marketing lineup.

Shit. I just really hope we at least see Animal Crossing. Someone please tell me this is a possibility.

I want to believe. But I've realistically set my expectations so low for this. Sigh.

skypunch

Banned
I think the OST and world design will both be great. But I share your concern regarding art style. It's a terribly generic anime style. It doesn't help that the female characters we've seen so far seem to be plagued by those awful anime tropes. Blushing, shy personality, big boobs, their love interest (male protagonist) being the sole reason for their existence, etc.

Did we watch different trailers?

We literally know nothing about any of the characters or the reasons for their existence. And going by the standards usually set by Xeno games, none of that awful anime shit will be in the game.

CheckMate

Shit. I just really hope we at least see Animal Crossing. Someone please tell me this is a possibility.

I want to believe. But I've realistically set my expectations so low for this. Sigh.

Highly doubt they would show it.

Animal Crossing is an A-class Nintendo product, which is why am assuming it will have it's own direct (similar to Fire Emblem) to announce the Switch game + Promote the upcoming Mobile game.

But, y'know, it's Nintendo... Who the hell knows what their thinking...

Shahadan

Depends what you choose to believe.
They have an immediate focus need on animal crossing for mobile. So either you think they use the opportunity to announce AC Switch or you think they won't because it'd overshadow the mobile game.

You can still at least expect a generic slide announcing that a Switch game is happening in 2018 though, like we got for fire emblem. Lol.

I don't think they're going to spend much longer than 6 minutes on any one game. Reveals generally don't last very long in Directs. The bulk of the time in conferences tend to go to game demos. The longest thing Directs seem to have are those Developer Story type segments, and those aren't that long. The whole Splatoon reveal took about 6 minutes and 15 seconds in the 2014 Digital Event. Yoshi's Woolly World took about 5 minutes. Hyrule Warriors took 4 minutes. In 2015, the Star Fox segment took almost 10 minutes, and that includes the whole intro with all the puppets and Miyamoto talking about the game. Nintendo can certainly discuss Mario Odyssey within 6 minutes, and I doubt you'll see any other single game take up more than 4 minutes, especially something like Skyrim where we probably won't have to listen to a story about it.

skypunch

Banned
I don't think they're going to spend much longer than 6 minutes on any one game. Reveals generally don't last very long in Directs. The bulk of the time in conferences tend to go to game demos. The longest thing Directs seem to have are those Developer Story type segments, and those aren't that long. The whole Splatoon reveal took about 6 minutes and 15 seconds in the 2014 Digital Event. Yoshi's Woolly World took about 5 minutes. Hyrule Warriors took 4 minutes. In 2015, the Star Fox segment took almost 10 minutes, and that includes the whole intro with all the puppets and Miyamoto talking about the game. Nintendo can certainly discuss Mario Odyssey within 6 minutes, and I doubt you'll see any other single game take up more than 4 minutes, especially something like Skyrim where we probably won't have to listen to a story about it.

Might just be me, but I really hate those. Especially when I'm not interested in the game. They done it with Yoshi's Wooly World and the developers were just talked about fabric for 5 minutes. I hope Nintendo aren't doing that again this time.

takriel

Did we watch different trailers?

We literally know nothing about any of the characters or the reasons for their existence. And going by the standards usually set by Xeno games, none of that awful anime shit will be in the game.

I'm sorry but that reeks of bad anime tropes.

skypunch

Banned

She is talking to a group with that line, not just one person.

Also, how does "I love this world because you're in it" = blushing, shy personalities, and big boobs?

Rappy

And that's the same as what you wrote earlier how?

And this coming from someone with the most "anime" version of Zelda as their avatar. Not that an anime art style has any bearing with the contents of the story or dialogue.

takriel

She is talking to a group with that line, not just one person.

Also, how does "I love this world because you're in it" = blushing, shy personalities, and big boobs?

And that's the same as what you wrote earlier how?

And this coming from someone with the most "anime" version of Zelda as their avatar. Not that an anime art style has any bearing with the contents of the story or dialogue.

Look, I really want this game to be good, but that particular trailer didn't instill much confidence. I will gladly eat crow if the E3 information blowout gives these characters great personalities and depth. Let's wait and see.

And Rappy: I think BotW also had some bad female anime tropes. Zelda is not exempt from that, unfortunately.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Even when Nintendo had hour long conferences they'd still leave stuff out that was only revealed on their website/the show floor. E3 is a multi day event so the thought that they'll announce everything during the briefing has been a misconception for years.

If Nintendo manages to show off several big surprises in a 30 minute video about 2017 games, great. They'd need to do it at a very brisk pace though. And if that's the case, why limit yourself to 30 minutes? What does this mean for third party games? I'm sure there will be at least a couple of notable third party games coming out this year. Will Nintendo ignore them again? I think there's plenty of reason to reign in your hype with this announcement. If Nintendo knocks it out of the park, awesome. I want to see a lot of great Switch games.

But again, if they have so much to show, why limit yourself to 30 minutes? You can fill 30 minutes with news/details of games already announced alone. Third parties and indies should be getting some of the spotlight too. And I think they will, just not much. Because we've only got 30 minutes (for some reason).

I'm not expecting it, but a three minute highlight real of third party games would make sense if those games will be shown off at other presentations.

They really are burning through the good will they generated aren't they? Faster than Sony did. Remember when someone asked Reggie about Metroid and unannounced games and he said ask me again in a years time? Still waiting, Reg...

waiting.gif

They really are burning through the good will they generated aren't they? Faster than Sony did. Remember when someone asked Reggie about Metroid and unannounced games and he said ask me again in a years time? Still waiting, Reg...

The meme don't believe his lies was probably made by a Nintendo fan with Reggie in mind.

Chauzu

I'm expecting more info on all their announced games + Mario vs Rabbids, and one new big game for 2018 teased. This makes me hype and I have a hard time seeing Nintendo not living up to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom