• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when someone asked Reggie about Metroid and unannounced games and he said ask me again in a years time? Still waiting, Reg...

waiting.gif

He only said it five months ago :p

SirShandy

I don't think the duration of the spotlight, whatever it turns out to be, has any bearing on its quality, either in terms of pacing or amount of new announcements. That's an arbitrary assumption.

All of the directs they do tend to have different formatting, so it's impossible to predict what they do just by looking at what they did last time.

I'd predict this spotlight will not be a rapid fire detailed overview of remaining Switch 2017 titles like the last general direct. I think instead it will focus on a handful of key 2017 fall/holiday games punctuated at the end by a few early 2018 announcements.

I understand many people feel that Nintendo's performance at E3 begins and ends with their digital event/spotlight, or whatever is considered their press conference equivalent to Sony / Microsoft. But Nintendo does not and has not treated E3 like this since they stopped doing live conferences and started their treehouse live streams. They prefer the slow burn method of information delivery as opposed to putting all their eggs in one basket. It's trading punctuation for exposure.

Probably incorrect Predictions for Spotlight:

1. A Super Mario Odyssey trailer to start off, mainly showcasing the hat power ups and abilities. No more than 5 minutes. November release date.
2. Splatoon 2 general trailer. Reveal some new maps, a new ranked mode, and announce a new test fire for late June featuring the Salmon run mode. 2:30 minutes.
3. Fire Emblem Warriors- Full trailer with gameplay details. 4 minutes. October Release date.
4. Mario & Rabbids - Will be unveiled at Ubisoft conference with short video but first gameplay trailer here. 3:30 minutes. September release.
5. Xenoblade 2 - Story/Gameplay trailer - 4 Minutes. December release.
6. Monster Hunter XX - Trailer - coming to the US 2:00 - October release.
7. Mario and Sonic at 2018 Winter Olympics - Trailer - single joycon gameplay. 2:30 minutes. December Release.
8. Pikmin 4/reboot reveal Trailer - Quarter 1 2018 release. 3:00 Minutes.
9. Animal Crossing reveal - Main game - Early 2018. 3:00 Minutes.
10: Retro's new title - Something New and Unexpected - 2:30 Minutes. Spring 2018 release.

Lemrik

Neo Member
8. Pikmin 4/reboot reveal Trailer - Quarter 1 2018 release. 3:00 Minutes.
9. Animal Crossing reveal - Main game - Early 2018. 3:00 Minutes.
10: Retro's new title - Something New and Unexpected - 2:30 Minutes. Spring 2018 release.

If this happens i will be the happiest man on earth!

JoeM86

They can't even make it an hour long?

Does not inspire confidence.

Nintendo Directs are typically ~30-40 minutes and contain new content/trailers for around 20 games.

Relax :)

You know why the MS and Sony ones are longer? Because they have conference fluff like crazy. Pauses for applause. Irrelevance. etc.

Another Sony v Microsoft E3. I expected nothing from Ninty and they delivered nothing as usual

Also lol at this delusion above me^, Sony doesn't have fluff

JoeM86

Can I remind everyone the much beloved Nintendo Digital Event in 2014 was 46 minutes long. That's not that much longer.
Another Sony v Microsoft E3. I expected nothing from Ninty and they delivered nothing as usual

They dialed it back last year, but come on. Now who's being delusional

Perhaps.. although there is probably no point in doing so now.. we could change the thread title to around thirty minutes in length. 30 minutes is not a fact (at this moment in time anyway).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Even last year had that orchestra. Yeah, that was cool and all, but that's the epitome of irrelevant fluff for a presentation focused on revealing new information about games.

I didn't even bother with last year's. No point wasting precious sleep watching them live at 2am and they've been yawn inducing for too many years now with the way they stretch things out. At least with other conferences I can watch them live with others so one can crack jokes during the dead periods i.e. every time a FPS is demoed.

Inukage

Can I remind everyone the much beloved Nintendo Digital Event in 2014 was 46 minutes long. That's not that much longer.

They dialed it back last year, but come on. Now who's being delusional
Joe I have a feeling that Pokémon Switch is still real, is it ok to believe?

XandBosch

I love how the only thing we know (not even for certain mind you) is that the video will be 30 minutes and there's nothing but doom and gloom in this thread.

Chill out and go do something else for a while lol.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I love how the only thing we know (not even for certain mind you) is that the video will be 30 minutes and there's nothing but doom and gloom in this thread.

Chill out and go do something else for a while lol.
Peeps still reeling from Pokemon salt.

With the 2DS, Arms and Pokemon direct / announcement out of the way. I think 30 mins is enough since Nintendo like to announce more stuffs the day after anyway lol.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
From the company that brought only one game to E3 last year.

You are all jumping the gun a bit.
That's not entirely true. They showed more games than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, though I'm unsure if more titles were playable on the show floor.

Also, does anyone else have issues loading https://e3.nintendo.com/? Only a red background and the logo is shown to me. I see from the source they added some Pokémon assets (Pokkén).

Edit: Nevermind, I found the issue. JS was disabled.

Hahaha I love Ninty but this is delusion. U had to go back 5 years. 5 years!!!! Sony whipes Ninty in this, no contest.

Compare the last 3 Sony conferences to Nintendo and nobody can even remember what Ninty had but Sony dropped Megaton after Megaton
Sony 2014 E3 was pretty bad so really it's the last 2 E3.

Rmagnus

Banned
Hahaha I love Ninty but this is delusion. U had to go back 5 years. 5 years!!!! Sony whipes Ninty in this, no contest.

Compare the last 3 Sony conferences to Nintendo and nobody can even remember what Ninty had but Sony dropped Megaton after Megaton

Man this brings me back to the days on GAF where folks go, I own a wii but let me shit all over wii but I am not biased cos I own the Wii.

Jintor

it depends what you're into man. i mean i remember the big sony hitter of shenmue, ffvii and last guardian, but did i care about or play any of those games? i mainly remember it because adam boyes announced ffvii and that's a man i've seen get fucked up on rum while trying to PR a pirate game.

I'm expecting lots and lots of Mario (Odyssey and Kingdom Battle), Zelda DLC detailed, few Splatoon infos, tiny bit ARMS, Xenoblade 2 story trailer, couple of eshop titles, Indie and 3rd party sizzle reel.

Ends with an outlook to early 2018. Smash port in february and a medium sized game in march.

Everybody that expects more is setting themselves up for a huge disappointment once more.

ASIS

I'm expecting lots and lots of Mario (Odyssey and Kingdom Battle), Zelda DLC detailed, few Splatoon infos, tiny bit ARMS, Xenoblade 2 story trailer, couple of eshop titles, Indie and 3rd party sizzle reel.

Ends with an outlook to early 2018. Smash port in february and a medium sized game in march.

Everybody that expects more is setting themselves up for a huge disappointment once more.
This is pretty much what I am guessing as well. But I think they will dedicate sometime for OS updates and/or online stuff.
But yeah I don't think they will show more than that.

Wamb0wneD

Wait did I miss Nintendo's E3?

Yeah, i can barely remember that game called Legend of Belda.

Hermii

Im kind of hoping they announce a top down Zelda for Switch. Lbtw came out four years ago, and they are being developed by separate teams from the console ones, so that shouldn't have any impact. Aonuma also has strongly hinted one is in development.

What's the longest amount of time any previous Digital Event has spent on a single game? People are forgetting that in-depth looks are exactly what the Treehouse is for.

30 minutes is plenty of time IF it's a rapid fire game announcement like the last Direct was, rather than a Digital Event with skits and developer interviews. It could be far more content than their past E3s were in that case.

Also while I wouldn't say it's 100% confirmed that the Spotlight is only for Switch games, it's very heavily implied by the PR to be the case. 30 minutes on a single platform is a good deal of time.

Not to mention that this could easily be 35 minutes too (or 27 minutes for that matter), all we know is the Treehouse begins "around" 9:30.

Ganondolf

sounds to me that we wont hear about virtual console as this would take too much time.

I reckon ubi will show the rabbids game and Bethesda will show the Skyrim port meaning they could just have these 2 games mixed into a third parties games quick fire video.

I would say they need at least 5-10mins for Mario as its their big fall game.

Hopefully we see retro's new IP.

sounds to me that we wont hear about virtual console as this would take too much time.

I reckon ubi will show the rabbids game and Bethesda will show the Skyrim port meaning they could just have these 2 games mixed into a third parties games quick fire video.

I think 5 minutes is the absolute most we should expect for Mario when we have 10 hours of Treehouse streams afterwards to cover it in detail. When's the last time they spent more than 5 minutes on a single game during an E3 Direct?

Tunoku

I think 5 minutes is the absolute most we should expect for Mario when we have 10 hours of Treehouse streams afterwards to cover it in detail. When's the last time they spent more than 5 minutes on a single game during an E3 Direct?

Probably when they revealed Splatoon for the first time.

Taker666

I expect a big new trailer but I'm not sure if they need 5-10minutes.

Chances are that Treehouse Live will follow straight after the Spotlight Presentation..and I'd bet good money a full in-depth hands-on of Mario Odyssey will be the first thing scheduled.

jacobeid

Banned

You are likely correct, maybe with one or two more surprises. My expectations are in check I think.

Camells

As I like to keep my sanity in check when it comes to Ninty announcements (specially after the pokemon direct events). I put my money on then just showing 2017 games, sounds appropriate. Best case scenario would be a little teaser for something something Retro something Animal Crossing but I'm not holding my breath.

Who am I kidding? Metroid/Mother HYPE

graybot

well Sony announce games that wont come out for the next 10 years

Im sure Nintendo could do the same if they wanted

Waji

I would sacrifice Xenopants 2 in an instance for a Golden Sun reboot. The series deserves proper treatment.
Worst idea ever. I'd sacrifice the whole Golden Sun series to be sure we have the Xenoblade.
GS 1 and 2 were fine, nothing groundbreaking, the 3rd one is even less "good".
These games are not especially amazing by any standards except maybe for the puzzles in dungeons.

graybot

For me, what I wanted more than anything was a fully running VC (stupidly thinking we would have everything from NES to Wii)

They have already told us this will not be happening for a while yet. So I will settle for New Mario footage and release date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom