• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesther

There's nothing stacked about their lineup(yet). People want new/more games.

We're getting a major exclusive title every month until the end of 2017. That's pretty stacked. The only lacking lineup is the 2018 one, which they haven't talked about yet.

This. Anyone who watched the April direct can tell how the format will look like. There won't be

I find the question what the hell Retro has been up to just as interesting.

Third party, Pokemon, and Retro/Metroid are the biggest questions no doubt. I think the Retro question gets answered at least.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
To some people, the biggest problem with the past Nintendo consoles was the lack of games, especially third party games. If that's still a concern for someone, and that would be a rational concern to me, Nintendo not showing big new games could give that person pause. I don't know why this is outside the realm of possibility.

I think it'd be a disappoint if no new games were announced.

Exactly
I can't believe that so many people, happy about the actual Switch concept/product and lineup (as I am), are forgetting how the software drought has been Nintendo crux (especially for home consoles) in the last 15 years (more or less) and how:

- the actual lineup is shaping up nicely, but especially because they killed the internal development of the previous home console for 18 months, postponed a Wii U game (Zelda) and are porting directly two products (MK8 and Pokken).
- Switch hw has clear compromises that would be ace for the consumers if with one purchase they could get "2 consoles" (home + portable) with the usual 2 set of outputs, while both FE Echoes and Pokemon Ultrasun are skipping Switch to say on 3DS so far

an E3 with only a couple of new games announced for Switch would be depressing, I can't see it in any other way

Astral Dog

To be fair

Focusing on 2017 is to Nintendo's greatest benefit because there are plenty of people who only know "Mario" coming this year and would like to get a Switch but not sure what the rest of their year looks like. Coming off of the Wii U, they need to prove they have great games coming to their new system very soon after E3.

They don't have the luxury of announcing games for the future like Sony, industry leader currently with all the marketing and game deals along with the hype machine fine tuned, and Microsoft, who arguably is in a similar-yet-different situation in Nintendo but gamers are more willing to slack on due to them having a lot of 3rd party. They gotta keep hitting hard in 2017 to keep mindshare of the system.

Besides, they have momentum going into E3 this year which is actually something most are NOT used to (including myself). MHXX port announced, Arms Testpunches completed with many more interested in the game, and the recent Pokkén DX announced which is a good look especially for that community and those who missed out on it due to "lol Wii U"

Focus on 2017 is fine. As long as every game they announced since Jan makes it this year, it should be all worth it. There may be one or two surprises, but honestly it would be best to not expect huge bombshells. That doesn't mean it won't happen later. They have multiple Directs a year to get hype for. If there's nothing of interest next week this time that's announced, then it's perfectly fine to wait in 2018 to get a Switch. Hopefully the stock situation is much better then too.

Just some thoughts really. Sorry it's so long.
Its not like this is the first time Nintendo announces E3 will be for the current year lineup exept for a few surprises its kind of expected now. people should get used to it Iwata said no more january Direct

There's nothing stacked about their lineup(yet). People want new/more games.

But that's exactly my point. If your point of view is that Nintendo's lineup isn't at all stacked, then why would you think they would have little to nothing to show at E3? The poster I responded to was saying we're unlikely to see Animal Crossing due to there being no room in the schedule to put it.

If your point of view is that Nintendo's lineup is stacked, then why are you worried about their E3? They should have plenty of new footage to show of these stacked games.

Basically, my point is there is not much logic to the majority of these arguments.

I'm not saying the presentation isn't only going to be 30 minutes, is there any concrete evidence that it is?

No, the OP indirectly says the Spotlight will be "around" 30 minutes but there is no confirmation of anything.

Neoxon

Exactly
I can't believe that so many people, happy about the actual Switch concept/product and lineup (as I am), are forgetting how the software drought has been Nintendo crux (especially for home consoles) in the last 15 years (more or less) and how:

- the actual lineup is shaping up nicely, but especially because they killed the internal development of the previous home console for 18 months, postponed a Wii U game (Zelda) and are porting directly two products (MK8 and Pokken).
- Switch hw has clear compromises that would be ace for the consumers if with one purchase they could get "2 consoles" (home + portable) with the usual 2 set of outputs, while both FE Echoes and Pokemon Ultrasun are skipping Switch to say on 3DS so far

an E3 with only a couple of new games announced for Switch would be depressing, I can't see it in any other way
We at least know that Fire Emblem is jumping ship next year, & Game Freak did have a job listing for what seems to be a Switch Pokémon game (which has a contracted work period up until I think next May).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

You are aware that Nintendo regularly announces games after E3 and typically does not have a long announcement to release schedule?

I'm worried that Nintendo is going to end the honeymoon phase of the Switch with a disappointing E3.

I don't quite understand this idea. The only way I can imagine Nintendo doing that would be if they decided to cancel or delay games they've already announced for this year.

JoeM86

So this is the general look-out of the 2017 line-up. Don't see a general Switch thread so I guess I should post this here, it's kinda relevant to the topic. (Made by me)

cJMi55h.jpg

Probably one of the most solid first party lineups in a first year, hell even any year, for any device IMO.

Kudo

Is there any reason Odyssey would be November when Christmas is right around the corner? Feels like perfect title for the holidays.
And yeah, the first year line-up for Switch has definitely been solid.

Probably one of the most solid first party lineups in a first year, hell even any year, for any device IMO.

I still think the Wii's looks better, but then again I actually loved Metroid Prime 3.

Is there any reason Odyssey would be November when Christmas is right around the corner? Feels like perfect title for the holidays.

Typically the bigger game launches in November to coincide with black friday, which is the peak of the Christmas shopping season.

We have two remasters and one straight port so 3/11 "old" games isn't that bad but it bothers me a bit. Hopefully Smash is the only other remaster.

Which one is the straight port? Zelda? It's a cross-gen release, not a port. Calling it a port is like calling MGSV on PS4/XB1 a port.

I have a feeling there'll be more than one game a month in Q4. Not necessarily every month, mind you, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Smash 4 DX in November or December.

Metal B

So that people have enough time, buying the game as a gift.

I have a feeling there'll be more than one game a month in Q4. Not necessarily every month, mind you, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Smash 4 DX in November or December.

I could see that but with 2 other first party fighting game having a 3rd one is would be over kill. Maybe a Kid Icarus Uprising Hd or a DKCR collection.

Kudo

Typically the bigger game launches in November to coincide with black friday, which is the peak of the Christmas shopping season.

Makes sense then, I wasn't quite sure how big BF was as it's just beginning to surface in my country in the recent years, but Wikipedia backs this up by saying it's the busiest shopping day of the year.

I'm sort of thinking this as well. Nintendo has some third party support for year one, but not quite enough to drive big sales. I could definitely see them saving a title or two just to release more than one title in a given month. Something like Smash would pair well with a single-player focused title.

watershed

Banned
Makes sense then, I wasn't quite sure how big BF was as it's just beginning to surface in my country in the recent years, but Wikipedia backs this up by saying it's the busiest shopping day of the year.
Black Friday is insane. I just stay home.

So this is the general look-out of the 2017 line-up. Don't see a general Switch thread so I guess I should post this here, it's kinda relevant to the topic. (Made by me)

cJMi55h.jpg

That line-up is really solid for my tastes. However, I still want something related to VC, Nintendo classics separate from VC, or even classics from other companies. If the Spotlight has something like that, then I'll be satisfied as a Switch owner.

A Metroid and F-Zero tease would be awesome, I must admit. However, they can always announce surprises throughout the year so I'm not worried.

13ruce

Banned
I'm more concerned about the Invitationals eating up all the time for Treehouse Live. We have 3 of them, around 2 or so hours a piece. That's over 4 hours taken up by ARMS and Pokkén on Wednesday, which is a significant chunk of the Treehouse Live schedule.

30 minutes for the Spotlight is fine. That's not an issue to me as length doesn't determine quality, but this does worry me when they promised Treehouse would showcase more Switch and 3DS titles than the Spotlight.

They should have done the tournaments seperately i don't care about those give me treehouse. Why the f are they eating time from the treehouse even? I really don't get it scre that i want a 5-8 treehouse hour stream like last year and 2015:p

Oersted

That line-up is really solid for my tastes. However, I still want something related to VC, Nintendo classics separate from VC, or even classics from other companies. If the Spotlight has something like that, then I'll be satisfied as a Switch owner.

A Metroid and F-Zero tease would be awesome, I must admit. However, they can always announce surprises throughout the year so I'm not worried.

The Neo Geo games? Not arguing that they should be all there is, just that there is something.

I expect November to have two games by Nintendo and at least one third party.

Example:

-Mario
- Mario sonic olympics
- COD

I expect Sonic to be a October game. A little breathing room between Sonic Mania and Mario Odessy. I could even see it being delayed until like February.

The Neo Geo games? Not arguing that they should be all there is, just that there is something.

Yeah, similar to that. I would like even more announcements of Neo Geo games and also similar classics from Sega or any other company. I loved what M2 did with the 3D Classics on 3DS, for example.

Lemme see

00-01 Intro
01-07 Super Mario Odyssey
07-09 Fire Emblem Warriors
09-11 Skyrim
11-14 Mario + Rabbids
14-15 ARMS
15-16 Splatoon 2
16-18 Indie Reel
18-21 Fifa 2018
21-23 Monster Hunter XX
23-27 Xenoblade Chronicles 2
27-28 Pokken Tournament DX
28-30 Ond Final Surprise (Plz be Metroid)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
We at least know that Fire Emblem is jumping ship next year, & Game Freak did have a job listing for what seems to be a Switch Pokémon game (which has a contrared work period up until I think next May).

You are aware that Nintendo regularly announces games after E3 and typically does not have a long announcement to release schedule?

Yes
but what I'm arguing about is that they should change something in their communication exactly to...communicate (if it is actually real) their change in software output
are you (Nintendo) chaning the concept of your HW exactly to create an hybrid that should create a better environment for your internal developers, in order to avoid the usual droughts?
please, let us know about it.

So fact is: or Switch hw compromised (in terms of form factor, raw power, price and so on) aren't justified by an actual merging of portable and home software output or they are, but Nintendo doesn't want to let us know

So, if at E3 we'll have just a couple of new games announced, I think that or there is a serious issue in the product development area, or there is a serious issues at marketing department

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yes
but what I'm arguing about is that they should change something in their communication exactly to...communicate (if it is actually real) their change in software output
are you (Nintendo) chaning the concept of your HW exactly to create an hybrid that should create a better environment for your internal developers, in order to avoid the usual droughts?

And my point is the 2017 lineup shows their increased software output

cJMi55h.jpg

Thanks for making this. I guess their big 'May' game was SSFII, though that isn't a first party title. Must be why MK8 hit right at the end of the April.

The triple threat of Zelda, MK8, and (hopefully) Odyssey send this into the stratosphere. Great first year for me.

To be fair

Focusing on 2017 is to Nintendo's greatest benefit because there are plenty of people who only know "Mario" coming this year and would like to get a Switch but not sure what the rest of their year looks like. Coming off of the Wii U, they need to prove they have great games coming to their new system very soon after E3.

They don't have the luxury of announcing games for the future like Sony, industry leader currently with all the marketing and game deals along with the hype machine fine tuned, and Microsoft, who arguably is in a similar-yet-different situation in Nintendo but gamers are more willing to slack on due to them having a lot of 3rd party. They gotta keep hitting hard in 2017 to keep mindshare of the system.

Besides, they have momentum going into E3 this year which is actually something most are NOT used to (including myself). MHXX port announced, Arms Testpunches completed with many more interested in the game, and the recent Pokkén DX announced which is a good look especially for that community and those who missed out on it due to "lol Wii U"

Focus on 2017 is fine. As long as every game they announced since Jan makes it this year, it should be all worth it. There may be one or two surprises, but honestly it would be best to not expect huge bombshells. That doesn't mean it won't happen later. They have multiple Directs a year to get hype for. If there's nothing of interest next week this time that's announced, then it's perfectly fine to wait in 2018 to get a Switch. Hopefully the stock situation is much better then too.

Just some thoughts really. Sorry it's so long.

Reasonable and worthy thoughts here, especially the bit concerning momentum. I think they are saving one relatively big unannounced title for this E3, whether that's Smash or Retro or something else entirely different. I think the remainder of the conference will be focused on stuff we mostly know about.

AdanVC

Yup, having a mainline Zelda and 3D Mario on the same year for a new Nintendo console is the best thing ever. Nintendo is going to own the GOTY awards this year thanks to those two games.

Shiggy

cJMi55h.jpg

Just as a side note, Mario + Rabbids isn't really a first party game. It's published and developed by Ubisoft.

Yes

The Switch lineup is an obvious improvement over the Wii U's. The list of games for the rest of the year communicates that well enough.

I have no earthly idea how you can compare the Wii U's first 9 months and the Switch's first 9 months and not see a significant improvement in first party games and a lack of software droughts. And we haven't even gotten to E3 yet.

Shiggy

Thanks for that. I guess I should change it to "First party related line-up". Weird that a Mario game is being published by Ubi.

It's not that strange: Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games were all developed and published by third parties in Japan.

Mario + Rabbids will be published by Nintendo in Japan, similar to Just Dance on Wii and Rayman Legends on Wii U.

Every
Game
Shown
will
already
be
known
so
no
surprises
probably

Even the worst Nintendo E3 conferences/Directs have unannounced software revealed. We're definitely going to see some surprises.

Let's just hope they're good surprises.

Super Mario Odyssey will launch on Friday, November 17th. Book it.

Metal B

Those lists are always fake as long as they don't include some new IPs. Even if they don't always make big ones like ARMS or Splatoon, there is always a few small, fun game, some of there developers love to make (like BOXBOY). Besides the other obvious bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom