• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo still taking down youtube content with copyright claims?

Liha

Banned
1rc3y6l1bdco.png

shitstorm against me, OMG HELP

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Guys why are you blaming Nintendo for this when you know that Youtube is terrible with this kind of crap.

Also they showed a trailer of Pokémon X and Y and properly tried to monetize off it.

I saw someone on twitter (a fan or viewer of his stuff) explaining to him that it's YouTube with their rubbish system that does stuff like this, and his response was pretty much "DON'T TELL ME HOW TO DO MY JOB, I'LL BE MAD AT WHO I WANT."

Came off as a giant asshole, never heard of the guy but I'll certainly stay away from his work if that's how he treats fans.

antitrop

I'm with Jim Sterling on this one, Nintendo is being a bit ridiculous.

Totalbiscuit being a belligerent asshat never helps his case.

Exile20

Yet now they're interested in featuring the next SSB at MLG. Nintendo fans should be too.

Because they are in talks about it early and going through the right channels instead of how Evo did it last time.

There is a process and people need to respect that. This is a corporation not some company ran from your bedroom.

Kikujiro

You do realise there's been a rift because competitive Smash players and non competitive Smash players. Both will take any chance to laugh at the other so it was of no surprised that there were people cheering when Nintendo originally barred Smash from being streamed.

That's not true at all. Where did you get this from?

Syf

Banned
Because they are in talks about it early and going through the right channels instead of how Evo did it last time.

There is a process and people need to respect that. This is a corporation not some company ran from your bedroom.
I am well aware of that and I agree with it. Alright, Evo apparently screwed up their production, but the bottom line is Nintendo wants more of it, just done better.
You do realise there's been a rift because competitive Smash players and non competitive Smash players. Both will take any chance to laugh at the other so it was of no surprised that there were people cheering when Nintendo originally barred Smash from being streamed.
I must be missing the logic here. What do non-competitive players gain from the game not being featured on stage? How does it affect them?

I'm with Jim Sterling on this one, Nintendo is being a bit ridiculous.

Totalbiscuit being a belligerent asshat never helps his case.

I think it's more of how YT's content/copyright management is set up and NOA just being inept and careless about it. Not anything intentional on their part... NOA just isn't good at this shit.

Talyn

Meh, this isn't new behavior from him. He's already boycotting Sega due to their whole Youtube Shining Force video takedown earlier this year and he was bitching about Square-Enix trying to claim all the ad revenue from a podcast earlier this month because it had a Final Fantasy trailer included. Surprisingly, in that case he just edited out the trailer and didn't "boycott" them, likely because they release a lot of PC stuff he's interested in.

Orayn

Didn't they reverse that decision after all the bad PR? I guess not so afterall.

I'm not sure where things are at right now, I mostly responding to the title: They're not taking down footage "again" if they weren't taking down footage in the first place.

Anteo

There was one poster here saying "they should have allowed it only if they turned items on because items off goes against the spirit of the game" or something like that. It was pretty sad

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
well... it's a PC channel so Total Biscuit can stop talking about Nintendo and showing their game, we wont lose his audience unlike many other youtubers and channels.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's not true at all. Where did you get this from?
I used to hang around /v/ during the years of 06/07. They took every opportunity to laugh at SmashBoard and then there were people like Dylan Tnga who would then taunt back (and lead to the whole fox only joke)

What do non-competitive players gain from the game not being featured on stage?
Nothing. They just want to be arseholes.

if he is making money off the video, he shouldn't be bitching and moaning about how much effort it takes to reupload it. that comes with the territory. i could be more sympathetic if it wasn't monetized.

"TotalBOOscuit ‏@Totalbiscuit 1h

It'll probably take at least half a day to replace the footage, encode and reupload, so don't expect it anytime soon"

"TotalBOOscuit ‏@Totalbiscuit 18m

@JimSterling @NintendoAmerica we'll have the thing sorted out but it'll take maybe a day to edit that out, reencode, upload and process"

"TotalBOOscuit ‏@Totalbiscuit 10m

@LeAwesomeRohan this comment brought to you by someone whose livelihood is not dependent on shitty companies so has little perspective"

boo hoo

Yes because Nintendo letting someone who calls people "Nintendo fanboys" and "morons" on twitter use their IPs is exactly a pro consumer move.

Oh please. So now they're going to restrict what people post on Youtube based on calling others fanboys? Oh, well, that does sound like Nintendo. Truly the company of the people.

Orayn

Oh please. So now they're going to restrict what people post on Youtube based on calling others fanboys? Oh, well, that does sound like Nintendo. Truly the company of the people.

They're restricting what people monetize on YouTube, and plenty of other publishers do the same.

Plenty of people here clearly not bothering to read the thread before posting.

More than likely, Nintendo has had no direct involvement in this video being flagged whatsoever. As pointed out by Orayn earlier, YouTube uses an automated system to match content. Things like trailers and music which have been uploaded on official YouTube channels, such as this Pokémon triler, are more likely to be recognized by those systems and lead to videos being flagged for a content match. Especially if you use a single big unedited chunk of the original video, rather than short clips separated by your own original content.

But having said that.....YouTube isn't at fault either. Because while their content matching system is most certainly overzealous in flagging videos, it's only like that because they've basically been forced to do that because of lobbying and legal threats from the music and film industries.

NTom64

Oh, this again.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if this was a fluke. The automated flagging system is awful, and I've seen people doing playthroughs of X and Y just fine recently.

ElFly

*shrug* it's probably youtube automated content checker. But if I were Nintendo I am not sure I'd want this guy reuploading my pokemon trailer.

Tripon

Total Biscuit can call them whatever he wants. His "WTF Is..." series is still a review series.

On the Nintendo stuff, I find it odd that a clip from a trailer gets flagged while Game Grumps, who are on the same network, do full Let's Plays of Nintendo titles and get away with it.
Nintendo's policy is only for current gen systems. They don't care from Wii era on consoles and DS on handhelds.

Kikujiro

I used to hang around /v/ during the years of 06/07. They took every opportunity to laugh at SmashBoard and then there were people like Dylan Tnga who would then taunt back (and lead to the whole fox only joke)

But you can't use /v/ to define casual players, I mean we're talking about 4chan during 06/07, I didn't even know it existed back then (4chan vs SmashBoards = few hardcore nerds vs few hardcore nerds). The "true" casual players have zero problems with competitive players, why would they care? They sure do enjoy watching competitive Smash, Melee had 120,000 plus viewers this year at Evo, those were mostly casual viewers since it's impossible to reach such high numbers without them.

Foffy

Banned
Just to move it away from just Nintendo fans:

82oTuv8.png

He's pretty much being rude to anyone.

I knew this dude was a douchebag, but jesus. Way to ignore potentially valid claims and go for petty potshots.

No wonder nobody really takes TB seriously. Only his buddy buddies do.

Haunted

You forgot to mention the other publishers who do this as well.
Sure, they should all stop that bs if they are.

Showing a minute of a trailer on an hour long podcast discussing the game shown in the trailer prevents the video upload, fucking ridiculous. Sterling and Totalbiscuit are totally in the right here. At the end of the day, it's Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot. (I'm an expert on Youtube video uploads...)

Tripon

Like it or not, trailers are part of their copyright. All it would have taken for total biscuit was to take 30 seconds of capture video or permission to use the video from Nintendo.

Sendou

Now Jim Sterling joins in, I thought gaf likes Jim, but stills doesn't like TB. mmm

I don't really like either. I don't see what's the harm with someone reuploading parts of your trailer but whatever. They're still just advertising in the end.

VandalD

if he is making money off the video, he shouldn't be bitching and moaning about how much effort it takes to reupload it. that comes with the territory. i could be more sympathetic if it wasn't monetized.
He's less bitching about having to do the work, and more bitching about Nintendo copyright claiming what is probably a 3 hour video that has a minute of a Pokemon advertisement.
He has about the same opinion for anyone who calls themselves a fanboy of anything, as fans are by definition fanatical, and don't tend to handle criticism or differing opinions very well.
Now Jim Sterling joins in, I thought gaf likes Jim, but stills doesn't like TB. mmm
Jim Sterling was in the show that got copyright claimed. "GAF" doesn't like or dislike anyone. Don't join in with this hive mind crap.

Square Enix did the same thing a different week as Nintendo is doing now. You'd think companies would love for their trailer and games to be freely advertised on a widely viewed show. Apparently not. Though TB's threat/action of no more Nintendo talk won't hurt either one of them much.

MisterHero

Showing a minute of a trailer on an hour long podcast discussing the game shown in the trailer prevents the video upload, fucking ridiculous. Sterling and Totalbiscuit are totally in the right here. At the end of the day, it's Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot. (I'm an expert on Youtube video uploads...)
You're right! YouTube should put an end to the abuse of YouTube's copyrighting rules if it's hated so much.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

These things are automatic. Do you think they have a team of thousands monitoring the Internet and reviewing all instances of usage on a case by case basis and manually submitting take down requests to YouTube?

Top Bottom