• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Still Won't Explain Why They're Deleting People's Mario Maker Levels

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-still-deleting-levels-from-super-mario-make-1765051639

BakeToRise, a Mario Maker creator and father of a designer-in-training daughter, posted a distressing story on reddit today. His daughter spent three hours putting together a level called Maria Cake Yoshi. After receiving a notification that another player had beaten and recommended the level by awarding it a star, they went to check it out. But out of nowhere, the stage was suddenly gone, reportedly removed after less than an hour.

It’d be one thing if Nintendo was informing people about why their stages are coming down, giving them a chance to change the infringing material or learn a lesson for the future, but that’s not the case. Levels just...vanish.

Over time, Mario Maker fans have picked up on a series of secretive rules that Nintendo deploys, such as begging for stars. This particular one was eventually codified in a patch for the game:

Users will no longer be able to use the words “Like”, “Yeah!”, and the “★” symbol in their course names.

It’s possible Nintendo wasn’t OK with the misspelling of Mario’s name. Is that one of Nintendo’s secret rules? There’s no way to know; the company won’t talk. Again, Nintendo has not responded to my request for comment.

MarioMan847 apparently got on the phone with Nintendo customer support, but they didn’t sound helpful. According to MarioMan847, the representative couldn’t find anything wrong with the stages they’d built.

“He looked it over and said that my account doesn’t have any activities in violation and is clean,” they said. “I told him the course ID and the name of the level (Cannonball Blitz 2) and he said that the name and the level screenshot are completely fine, and even encouraged me to remake the level and upload it again if I wished. So yeah, I got nothing. Probably the only ones that really know are the ones that came up with the algorithms at Nintendo of Japan.”

Let’s be clear: the official recommendation from Nintendo was to build the stage all over again. That’s ridiculous.

First I've heard about this and it does sound ridiculous. I get the need to moderate public levels but banning words like "Yeah" and taking down levels with absolutely nothing wrong with them is heavy-handed. Not the way you should be treating your audience, imho.

georly

I'm totally fine with them deleting levels that aren't popular, but they should definitely allow you to reupload them if you want to. At some point, you'll just give up if it never catches on.

Maybe the issue is that they only have ONE way of deleting a stage, and there's no way for the game to know if your stage was deleted because it isn't popular or if it was deleted because it was obscene, so, to prevent obscene levels from getting reuploaded, they ban the level outright from ever being uploaded again. That's my guess.

The fix is to develop a system that allows a delete + flag non-reuploadable for obscene and just a normal delete for non-obscene but unpopular stages. My guess is they either don't want to develop this (not worth it) or are still working on developing this and it'll be a while.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-still-deleting-levels-from-super-mario-make-1765051639

First I've heard about this and it does sound ridiculous. I get the need to moderate public levels but banning words like "Yeah" and taking down levels with absolutely nothing wrong with them is heavy-handed. Not the way you should be treating your audience, imho.

Going by all the complaining about the quality of the user created levels Nintendo should probably just randomly delete half of all levels anyway.

Glad that Nintendo is spending time cleaning up levels instead of putting in a much-needed tagging and search function. I shouldn't have to wade through endless "Don't touch the controller" and "Check out these Amiibo costumes" and "lololol everything and the kitchen sink" levels to find the rare gem....

My whole purpose of buying the game was "hey, I'm really excited to play some alternate Mario levels made by users" and in that sense, the game is a total letdown.

Generally its a glitch or its unpopular. They should inform you which it is though. With how much time I spend on one level not being able to upload would piss me off.

I understand the urge to delete like/yeah-begging levels, but banning the symbol "★" is pretty damn stupid. Heck, basically all Super Mario games have ★'s here and there!

Glad that Nintendo is spending time cleaning up levels instead of putting in a much-needed tagging and search function. I shouldn't have to wade through endless "Don't touch the controller" and "Check out these Amiibo costume" and "lololol everything and the kitchen sink" levels to find the rare gem....

You should play the game before you talk. That shit has been in for months.

Platy

Also, when the game was released Nintendo said they would delete levels with a low star rating to "clean" the servers

You should play the game before you talk. That shit has been in for months.
I played the game two weeks ago and was still flooded with terrible levels. It was nearly impossible to find decent levels, since searching by title and difficulty is meaningless. Like I said, it needs a tagging system or a way of better categorizing levels so that I can search for "Mario Alt levels" and find levels where users were attempting to imitate the old Mario style. I also bought the game Day One and played it faithfully for weeks.

Please don't make assumptions. Their search sucks compared to...any website from 2007 or younger.

fernoca

Yep. Agree that they should notify of the removal.

Doubt is based on popularity, because 2 of 3 levels I've made has been played by aprox. 30 people in around 6 months. XD

I played the game two weeks ago and was still flooded with terrible levels. I also bought the game Day One and played it faithfully for weeks.

Please don't make assumptions. Their search sucks compared to...any website from 2007 or younger.

You said the game didnt have it. It does. You can tag and search levels. If you think it sucks just say so. I bought the game launch day too. It doesnt excuse misinformation being spread. You want traditional levels. Search traditional on the website for example.

Simbabbad

Glad that Nintendo is spending time cleaning up levels instead of putting in a much-needed tagging and search function. I shouldn't have to wade through endless "Don't touch the controller" and "Check out these Amiibo costumes" and "lololol everything and the kitchen sink" levels to find the rare gem....

My whole purpose of buying the game was "hey, I'm really excited to play some alternate Mario levels made by users" and in that sense, the game is a total letdown.
Levels already have tags through the website, and it's ridiculously easy to find quality levels in Super Mario Maker. You can subscribe to good users, suggestions after you complete a level are generally excellent, suggestions from the website are good too, and you can see level starred by people - so if you're looking for good levels, just look what users you like starred. With this system, you'll end up with more quality levels/creators than you'll ever have the time to play in your whole life.

As for deleting... I heard it's sometimes unfair, but it's certainly needed.

You said the game didnt have it. It does. You can tag and search levels. If you think it sucks just say so. I bought the game launch day too. It doesnt excuse misinformation being spread. You want traditional levels. Search traditional on the website for example.
Indeed. And whoever complaining he/she can't find good levels is either incredibly lazy or lying.

Riposte

I like to imagine Miyamoto occasionally spends his afternoons going through random levels and getting really pissed at trifling details, flipping tables and ordering them deleted.

cyba89

I played the game two weeks ago and was still flooded with terrible levels. It was nearly impossible to find decent levels, since searching by title and difficulty is meaningless. Like I said, it needs a tagging system or a way of better categorizing levels so that I can search for "Mario Alt levels" and find levels where users were attempting to imitate the old Mario style. I also bought the game Day One and played it faithfully for weeks.

Have you heard of this: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/

There even is a tag system.

Why can't Nintendo delete all of the automatic levels -_-

This indeed.
What's the point? I hate them.

OT: why should Nintendo delete levels that aren't popular? My levels are never popular, but are still played by 20 people and I'm perfectly happy with that.

The Mario Maker Bookmark Website actually does let you tag levels and search for them by keyword including a "Traditional" tag. I've actually tagged all my levels with it.

Simbabbad

This indeed.
What's the point? I hate them.

OT: why should Nintendo delete levels that aren't popular? My levels are never popular, but are still played by 20 people and I'm perfectly happy with that.
So you want levels that people do like to be deleted because you don't like them, but levels that people don't star should stay?

Regiruler

if i'm not mistaken, you can't reupload a level that has been deleted and that's partially why people are mad

It's stupid but it makes sense, in a way: if they delete problematic levels, they don't want the "damage" able to be instantly redone.

So you want levels that people do like to be deleted because you don't like them, but levels that people don't star should stay?

I'm not saying Nintendo should delete them, just don't put them in the 100 mario challenge. It can't be that hard to make a separate category for those levels.

Nintendo needs to fix this. I haven't had time to make levels recently, but if I did, news like this would make me think twice about committing any real thought or care to the process. I'd probably'd just make another autoscroller and die a little inside.

fhqwhgads

Happened to mine a few months back. Wasn't a level I was too fond of but the fact you can't reupload them even after editing them is pretty crappy. Plus it's all about popularity so all the types of levels people who want a genuine challenge hate (Automatic levels and LE EPIC TROLL XD levels) aren't getting deleted any time soon.

imBask

Banned
It's stupid but it makes sense, in a way: if they delete problematic levels, they don't want the "damage" able to be instantly redone.

there are so many levels that chances are your perfectly fine level won't get starred, and will get deleted. This is why it's frustrating, the vast majority of trolly kids who make trash level won't take the time to reupload them so you'd be fixing most of the problem without antagonising the good side of your community

I don't know, they just need to be more transparent about it, at least

marmoka

Banned
The only one I did long ago was horrible. I wouldn't be surprised if they deleted it.

I enjoyed this game a lot more playing other users' levels than creating one myself. I don't have too much imagination, unfortunately.

I hope the deleted ones are horrible levels like mine that do not deserve to exist.

_woLf

Meanwhile the main page of every category in game is full of Japanese autoplay levels with anime art and music bullshit that for some reason have thousands of stars.

Keep up the good work, Nintendo. Complete garbage and easily the worst part about Mario Maker. My girlfriend and I have made a ton of really fun, interesting levels to play through but they never get played, never get starred, and thus we can't get an increased upload count. If you can't just start the level and watch it play music for you, nobody stars your stuff.

It makes me sad that people think that there is no problem with the lack of tags and filters because it's on a website. I should not have to use a website to play a video game on my TV. Bungie gets flack for it with Grimoire cards, Nintendo should get just as much flack with it for this.

cyba89

Is that info available in game yet?

If it is I may have to go back to playing the game.

If not... why? It's so odd to have such a good feature not available where it is most needed.

There is a ingame button that links to this website (opens the WiiU browser).
You can just add levels to your bookmarks from there with a button press.

Is that info available in game yet?

If it is I may have to go back to playing the game.

If not... why? It's so odd to have such a good feature not available where it is most needed.

AFAIK, it's not directly within the game, but the site and the game are heavily integrated into each other - so heavily that you can start Super Mario Maker level right out of Bookmark web site opened in Wii U Internet Browser.

Acerac

Banned
There is a ingame button that links to this website (opens the WiiU browser).
You can just add levels to your bookmarks from there with a button press.

That's better than how I thought it was set up. Would be nice if it was entirely in game, but it's certainly preferable to requiring an extra device.

Thanks for the tip.

Well that does explain why two of my levels were deleted from the site.

But this means my most popular levels were the shit ones goddamn it.

Time to make a torture dungeon.

Top Bottom