• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Still Won't Explain Why They're Deleting People's Mario Maker Levels

Regiruler

Is that info available in game yet?

If it is I may have to go back to playing the game.

If not... why? It's so odd to have such a good feature not available where it is most needed.

I would assume there are back end problems involved that prevent it from being used in-game.

I could be wrong though.

This is excellent! Thank you for the link and for the advice. Am I able to search for this in-game, though? Just asking for curiosity's sake, since I never saw tags like this in the game's UI. EDIT: nvm. It was answered above.

I love the mobile version of the Mario Maker Bookmark site because I browse levels all day and bookmark them for later.

It also helps me obsess over the star counts of my own levels. Ha ha ha.

Nightbird

They keep on deleting the levels that my little brother's best friend keeps uploading

(I'm fine with that, because they are shit, and he knows)

Well that does explain why two of my levels were deleted from the site.

But this means my most popular levels were the shit ones goddamn it.

Time to make a torture dungeon.

Post in MM OT on gaf. People will play your stuff. Reddit Mario Maker is also good. Lots of great levels get a lot of stars. I have 15 levels and all but one has over 30 stars. Just promote a little and you'l get stars.

Kirye

So this is why my stage "Spoopy Mansion" got randomly deleted... maybe cause it has poop in the name?

RedToad64

Two of my levels have been removed from the server and cannot be reuploaded. I have been paying close attention to stars and popularity and those two were by far my least popular levels.

So, yeah.

I've had a couple levels pulled down at random. The only thing I can figure is someone commented on them asking me to star their levels..

Pretty shitty reason to pull a level and block it from being reuploaded.

1414 stars

I'm jealous :(

There are a lot of people that I'm jealous of myself. Most of my courses have about 20 stars. Then I see people with like 500 stars on each of their courses and it's just like "What did they do to get so many stars?!"

I try to create courses that feel genuine to the style they're designed in. Some people appreciate it. Others find it boring. :/

Post in MM OT on gaf. People will play your stuff. Reddit Mario Maker is also good. Lots of great levels get a lot of stars. I have 15 levels and all but one has over 30 stars. Just promote a little and you'l get stars.

MarioMakerGAF is great. I've a posted on the Mario Maker Reddit too, but I feel like it's much harder to get feedback from there.

King Al B

I made a level when the fire powered clown car came out. Called it "Super Mario Type", was a shooter level. It was deleted less then 24hrs of uploading it. Me and my son have 9 other level uploaded and they are all still there. I wish i knew why it was taken down.

Lijik

that you cant reupload the courses without recreating it in a new map is so unreal. hope they wind up fixing this but i wont hold my breath

Acerac

Banned
I lost interest in this game alarmingly quickly from a community standpoint. Way too much garbage.

Garbage that would be heavily starred for some reason.

For all those who are jealous of people with stars, have you tried making an auto/hold right level? Infinite free stars!
I stopped playing the game when I realized this.

I do need to check out that feature others were mentioning earlier. If it cuts out the crap the game would be a lot more fun.

VandalD

I lost interest in this game alarmingly quickly from a community standpoint. Way too much garbage.

For all those who are jealous of people with stars, have you tried making an auto/hold right level? Infinite free stars!

I do need to check out that feature others were mentioning earlier. If it cuts out the crap the game would be a lot more fun.

Every time I played normal 100 Mario it was a boring slog. Every time I played expert, I'd hold the - button at the start in case it's the kind of level where you instantly die if you don't move immediately.

You really have to look for good levels. Go to the OT in community or other places online and grab some levels with the bookmark feature and have fun. It's not a perfect setup at all, but it does cut out the crap. And at least now you don't have to input individual level codes if you bookmark.

Kouriozan

I made a sh*t auto course and it's not getting any stars.
I have to say I'm pretty bad at making levels though.

-shadow-

Weird, I've made over at a friends house a spam course. I spammed everything just to advance the progression to get the new tools. And it's still online. So I'm really surprised that Nintendo keeps removing some levels.

jholmes

Nintendo should probably explain why levels were taken down (it's hard to get meaningful feedback in this game) but oh man am I ever in favour of Nintendo deleting levels en masse, for every one guy complaining that Nintendo deleted his spam level he spent 15 minutes making there's like 100 complaining that the community is buried under a heap of garbage.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I think this is for levels with really low completion %'s, lots of plays with no stars, star-begging, etc. So I assume the vast majority of them aren't good.

PSqueak

Banned
Hold on, it makes it sound like it also deleted it from the local save file, like it's not like the little girl's hard work was lost or was it?

Still shitty if they took it down for no reason.

Zee-Row

Banned
My mediocre levels from launch day that only have 2 stars are still on the servers. The Nintendo Ninja's haven't noticed me yet.

Jeff6851

Nintendo is so opaque it's not even funny. Are they at least removing the music levels? I got rid of the game because it was so hard to find a good level, all the top rated ones were YouTubers who just made them hard for the sake of being hard or people who made music levels where you just run and listen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they worked very hard and they have some talent, it's just annoying to see them all over the place.

Lutherian

I had one stage completly deleted, no explanation. Why ? Nothing, I friggin love Nintendo but {insert AVGN long insult here}, what are they thinking but just NOT letting a single message, even a generic one. Now I have the feeling of "Your stage was deleted because either it was the shittiest level ever made, or you uploaded at the wrong time because no one ever played it or saw it in time".

Well, I'm not going to put effort and waste my time to see something deleted without any explanation at all.

Sorry SMM, but I'm gonna play some else levels, hoping their levels won't be deleted (admit it, Simbabbad, you wouldn't be very happy to see your awesome Metroid levels being removed just like that, because, why not ?).

Bizzquik

I feel like we could have dozens of thread titles with:
"Nintendo Still Won't Explain ________"

They just run their business differently.
Their Nintendo Direct presentations are events because their daily communication with their audience is minimal.

Noticing my newer stuff doesn't stay up very long. But the stuff I posted within the first month or three are all still there. I don't have anything close to what you'd call a popular level or anything. This can't be a storage issue right? How much space could one level really take up?

Lutherian

I feel like we could have dozens of thread titles with:
"Nintendo Still Won't Explain ________"

They just run their business differently.
Their Nintendo Direct presentations are events because their daily communication with their audience is minimal.

Your argument is invalid. Sorry, the main purpose of Mario Maker is sharing levels with the community and play each other levels. Share is the heart of the game. Then, when you see your work deleted without knowing why, and while you were still contributing to the main purpose of the game, there's a problem.

Like :
- Hey dude, look, after 89 hours I'm finally at the final dungeon, ready to face the true last boss !
- Yeah. Too bad your save is now corrupted.
- Why ?!
- Because Nintendo decided it. That's the rule.
- What did I do ?!
- Dunno. That's the way. Now try again please.

cyba89

I think this is for levels with really low completion %'s, lots of plays with no stars, star-begging, etc. So I assume the vast majority of them aren't good.

My level with 0.01% completion percentage is still up.
And there is no reason to delete levels with low completion percentage when there is a Super Expert mode now.

Ansatz

They remove it from the server and not allow to reupload that specific file. You can still play it offline.

Ah that's what they mean by remake the level, in order to reupload it. Yeah it would be a catastrophy if they deleted it altogether. It's still discussion worthy but I personally don't care if they remove my levels as long as they still exist on my game file.

jholmes

I do want to chime in and say there are a lot of unfamiliar faces to me saying that they've had levels deleted. You really should be sharing and discussing levels in the OT, it will not only help you improve your level-making skills and get more people playing your levels, but it will give you a ton of really great levels to play.

Top Bottom