• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Storage solution partnership?

my guess is if the new wii is based on current graphics cards available right now, it would be 2.5 -4 times the graphical prowess of the current gen consoles. the new 4850s and 4870s are beasts and only 175 and 275-350 right now and if the next console wont hit till 2012 the next gen wii will be far and beyond what the consoles now are capable of. making the jump from the wii to the next wii the biggest graphical jump a console has ever made between generations. HOT

test_account

XP-39C²
Drkirby said:
10 year console life. By 2016, it will be cheap, if Nintendo invest its billions into making it cheap.
Ye, thats true, but i think (please correct me if i'm wrong :)) the holographic disc drives and the holographic discs etc. only will be cheap if they are a mass-produced products and if they are a widely spread commercial products by 2016. If the Wii 2 should launch in 2016 and if the Wii 2 will be the first mass-produced and widely spread commercial product that will use this holographic disc drive and and discs etc. i think it will be relatively expencive to begin with.

Even if they finish the development for the holographic disc system now (or relatively soon) i think it still needs to become a mass-produced product before it becomes cheaper.

Farnack

Banned
laserbeam said:
No one said anything about it overtaking Blu-Ray or outperforming it. It would allow Nintendo to have a console that doesnt use Blu-Ray though allowing them to owe sony no fees etc.
Okay, so I guess 10 times wasn't enough to figure out that grammaticlysmic post.

bdouble

Would Nintendo really go back to something that is almost like a cartridge? Actually scratch that yes they would :lol

bdouble

pgtl_10 said:
How is this a storage solution?

Honestly I think its more along the lines of a game medium after I think about it and my last post :p

Maybe a proprietary holodrive that stores all your games from digital download. Its certainly big enough and most definitely eliminate a bit of piracy no?

Proven

Nuclear Muffin said:
Somehow I doubt that the next Nintendo system will use anything other than HDDVD. It fits perfectly in line with their partnership with Panasonic, it's more than large enough for 1080p games with loads of FMV and it's piracy free since it lost in the format wars meaning that almost nobody has a HDDVD burner and that blank HDDVD discs can't be bought.

Actually, you have a point there. It would be extremely cheap, large enough, and not Blu-Ray. It's perfect.

RagnarokX

Nintendo holographic storage eh?
21evm81.jpg

Sounds interesting enough.

bdouble said:
Would Nintendo really go back to something that is almost like a cartridge? Actually scratch that yes they would :lol

im gonna have to say games wont come on discs or holo graphs. the holograph will be the on board system that you could rip ? or just DD all your nintendo games too. if they use a 800gig drive i dont see anyone ever running out of room if all there games are DD and stored right there with a click from the ir pointer away.

Haunted

Going from 512MB to 1.6TB.

Not bad, not bad at all. >_>

Shinz Kicker said:
my guess is if the new wii is based on current graphics cards available right now, it would be 2.5 -4 times the graphical prowess of the current gen consoles. the new 4850s and 4870s are beasts and only 175 and 275-350 right now and if the next console wont hit till 2012 the next gen wii will be far and beyond what the consoles now are capable of. making the jump from the wii to wii the biggest graphical jump a console has ever made between generations. HOT
:lol nice

agrajag

Banned
Shinz Kicker said:
my guess is if the new wii is based on current graphics cards available right now, it would be 2.5 -4 times the graphical prowess of the current gen consoles. the new 4850s and 4870s are beasts and only 175 and 275-350 right now and if the next console wont hit till 2012 the next gen wii will be far and beyond what the consoles now are capable of. making the jump from the wii to wii the biggest graphical jump a console has ever made between generations. HOT

by 2012 Nintendo will just catch up with the original X Box graphics :lol

pgtl_10

bdouble said:
Honestly I think its more along the lines of a game medium. Maybe a proprietary holodrive that stores all your games from digital download. Its certainly big enough and most definitely eliminate a bit of piracy no?

Will it require a gigantic harddrive attached to my Wii?

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I don't understand why Nintendo would do this. Assuming they maintain their focus on casual gaming, why would anybody care about having a huge/fast hard drive? Even if the Wii had this right now nobody would care at all except that it would let you store all your VC/WiiWare games. I guess if they do a major push for digital distribution this would come in handy but I don't see Nintendo being that progressive.

laserbeam

Banned
Zek said:
I don't understand why Nintendo would do this. Assuming they maintain their focus on casual gaming, why would anybody care about having a huge/fast hard drive? Even if the Wii had this right now nobody would care at all except that it would let you store all your VC/WiiWare games.

Nintendo wants to start a trend and have stated as such. They want the casuals to turn core while always bringing in new casuals.

The fact they are going HD console next gen alone means they have to step it up

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
laserbeam said:
Nintendo wants to start a trend and have stated as such. They want the casuals to turn core while always bringing in new casuals.

The fact they are going HD console next gen alone means they have to step it up
Yeah but I can't imagine Nintendo doing anything that would seriously benefit from this above a standard hard drive, unless they do another big paradigm shift right back to hardcore gaming for next gen...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
justchris said:
Shit, I've been hearing about this tech for...12 years now? About time we start seeing some results.

Nintendo can't sit on its billions forever. :p

justchris

Zek said:
Yeah but I can't imagine Nintendo doing anything that would seriously benefit from this above a standard hard drive, unless they do another big paradigm shift right back to hardcore gaming for next gen...

Stop with this, seriously. Nintendo is still making hardcore games. They're just also making casual games. Their casual games usually require 1/3 or less of the time and resources of their core games, so the time from concept to reveal is much shorter. If Nintendo does a paradigm shift next gen, it won't be away from casuals, it'll be something that convinces even more people to buy their games.

agrajag

Banned
santouras said:
I've been looking at HVD for ages now. It's a pity it hasn't gained more traction. They have CRAZY storage and seek times. I really hope nintendo uses something like this for wii2

That is fucking awesome. Why isn't this the standard storage format yet?

Azure J

agrajag said:
That is fucking awesome. Why isn't this the standard storage format yet?

Agreed except on the standardized part. Honestly, i just can't see any real reason to have a disk that expansive on the market for us "common folk". Don't ask me why though, it just seems weird, even for a technologically driven culture.

laserbeam

Banned
Inphase is releasing their 800GB version this year and the Rewritable version as well this year. The 1.6TB version will be released 2010. Perfect timing to get ready for next gen consoles ;)

agrajag

Banned
AzureJericho said:
Agreed except on the standardized part. Honestly, i just can't see any real reason to have a disk that expansive on the market for us "common folk". Don't ask me why though, it just seems weird, even for a technologically driven culture.

So it is expensive. Makes me doubtful that Nintendo would pursue this then. Seems counter-intuitive to their current strategy.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
justchris said:
Stop with this, seriously. Nintendo is still making hardcore games. They're just also making casual games. Their casual games usually require 1/3 or less of the time and resources of their core games, so the time from concept to reveal is much shorter. If Nintendo does a paradigm shift next gen, it won't be away from casuals, it'll be something that convinces even more people to buy their games.
They make hardcore games for a casual console. I'm as big a Nintendo fan as anyone but let's be honest here, the Wii does not compete technologically with the other consoles, in hardware or in features, and I am not getting my hopes up for them changing that strategy next gen given how it's worked out for them. Of course they'll have new features but I don't expect them to do anything that drives up the cost of the console just for hardcore gamers more than is necessary. Even if this hard drive isn't expensive, what kind of functionality can you imagine Nintendo actually implementing that would put it to good use?

agrajag

Banned
Zek said:
They make hardcore games for a casual console. I'm as big a Nintendo fan as anyone but let's be honest here, the Wii does not compete technologically with the other consoles, in hardware or in features, and I am not getting my hopes up for them changing that strategy next gen given how it's worked out for them. Of course they'll have new features but I don't expect them to do anything that drives up the cost of the console just for hardcore gamers more than is necessary. Even if this hard drive isn't expensive, what kind of functionality can you imagine Nintendo actually implementing that would put it to good use?

Input devices are hardware too. And with WiiMotion Plus Nintendo has secured the most cutting edge input device for years to come.

bdouble

Zek said:

right and "leave" the casuals behind like they "left" the hardcore this gen. Give me a break.

Anyways the benefits over a traditional HDD are everything they advertise this to be. Faster, more reliable, cheaper (they claim) and very secure which Nintendo loves.

Interesting article on Inphase
http://optics.org/cws/article/articles/19837
The firm sells its media in 2x3 inch slides, 3x3 inch coupons, 5.25 inch-diameter discs or customer-specified formats with thicknesses ranging from 200µm to 2mm. It is currently supplying the media and test equipment to optical drive companies that are investigating their own holographic drives. Although they are already low-cost, InPhase hopes to further reduce the cost of its media to 25 cents per GB ($50, or €41, for 200GB).

Keep doubling back on this. This really could either be a storage solution or even media for Nintendo's next console. At that price they are comparable to a BRD no? Also note that was an article from 2004.

justchris

Zek said:

Honestly, if I knew that, I'd have a fortune in royalties to look forward to as I revolutionized the game industry. I honestly can't think of many uses for advanced storage technology that aren't already being used on PC. If Nintendo can't think of any either, then we likely won't ever see this come to fruition in their console, but if they can, they'll make it and market it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
bdouble said:
Keep doubling back on this. ($0.25/GB) This really could either be a storage solution or even media for Nintendo's next console. At that price they are comparable to a BRD no? Also note that was an article from 2004.

No, Blu-ray is less than 5 cents a GB if you use BD50 and fill the disc.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
How can anyone here honestly speculate anything about this? The whole thing sounds so bizarre...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
agrajag said:
Input devices are hardware too. And with WiiMotion Plus Nintendo has secured the most cutting edge input device for years to come.

Meh. Cameras have been the most sophisticated input device for well over a decade. I knew someone who wrote some really nice video-based facial expression recognition software about 12 years ago. And let's not forget mo-cap.

laserbeam

Banned
Dacvak said:
How can anyone here honestly speculate anything about this? The whole thing sounds so bizarre...

Its real technology and Nintendo is co patent owner of a Miniature version of the Drive reader? Seems to be pretty much clear

Deku

Banned
laserbeam said:
Its real technology and Nintendo is co patent owner of a Miniature version of the Drive reader? Seems to be pretty much clear

Not doubting you but this seems more like a preliminary step to alinging technologies for something like the DS2 than Wii storage.

There's really no link there. And I'm sure the technology will need a few more years ti mature before its ready for mass production.

Nintendo did the same with 3D Matrix masked ROM tech before they announced the DS.

laserbeam

Banned
Deku said:
Not doubting you but this seems more like a preliminary step to alinging technologies for something like the DS2 than Wii storage.

There's really no link there. And I'm sure the technology will need a few more years ti mature before its ready for mass production.

Nintendo did the same with 3D Matrix masked ROM tech before they announced the DS.

From what the patent shows it doesnt seem small enough to fit a handheld. I cant see 300GB discs for the Next Handheld either. The tech itself has been in development roughly 12 years now with it actually existing as 6 years ago.

SamBishop

Banned
Drkirby said:
Also, IMO, Nintendo's best bet is to somehow find a way to update USB read speed with software. They really somewhat shot them self in the foot not putting in any sort of expansion port.

USB isn't really the problem, dude. They have, like, Goombas or something transmitting that data. It seriously takes ages, and it's not like the files there are huge or anything. God damn does it take forever...

Rolf NB

:lol :lol

Holographic storage, huh? The tech industry's favourite running gag? I swear, every four to five years some other group starts fishing for investment, press releases come up, and then, inadvertantly, nothing comes out of it, usually around the time they notice that reading isn't enough and they also need a way to store data in the medium.
I wouldn't hold my breath on these guys to deliver either.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
This is something for Nintendo's next-gen...I told you guys, solid state...no more discs. It's durable, high capacity, rewritable, propriety (thus helping against piracy) and cheap enough at the time of introduction of Nintendo's next system.

This would also fit with what I said about Nintendo going for a universal format for use in both their next-gen portable & console systems. With such a format, assets for SD (portable) and HD (home console) content could be stored on the same media and thus be interchangable between them. Also, no need for flash or HDD storage as a blank media of this format could be used to serve that function. Format (as it grows) is also more future-proof making such things as an upgradable system more likely for longer shelf-life for Nintendo's next platform.

However, keep in mind that such a format and such plans are probably very forward thinking and most likely wouldn't be put in place until NDS & Wii have run their courses even after their probable (NDS + internal flash + VC service & Wii + higher capacity flash + DVD? + 720p upscaling) revisions.

pgtl_10

This may sound funny but a cartridge idea could be revolutionary. Imagine buying a MMORPG on a cartridge which has about 300 GB of space. The actual game takes up 50GB of space. That leaves 250 GB of space that an user could download add-ons, expansions, DLC all onto the game cartridge. That way the cartridge will be a game and a memory card all in one.

Also downloads wouldn't work unless it is downloaded to the game cartridge preventing piracy or at least making piracy harder to obtain.

gaheris

DrGAKMAN said:
This is something for Nintendo's next-gen...I told you guys, solid state...no more discs. It's durable, high capacity, rewritable, propriety (thus helping against piracy) and cheap enough at the time of introduction of Nintendo's next system.

This would also fit with what I said about Nintendo going for a universal format for use in both their next-gen portable & console systems. With such a format, assets for SD (portable) and HD (home console) content could be stored on the same media and thus be interchangable between them. Also, no need for flash or HDD storage as a blank media of this format could be used to serve that function. Format (as it grows) is also more future-proof making such things as an upgradable system more likely for longer shelf-life for Nintendo's next platform.

However, keep in mind that such a format and such plans are probably very forward thinking and most likely wouldn't be put in place until NDS & Wii have run their courses even after their probable (NDS + internal flash + VC service & Wii + higher capacity flash + DVD? + 720p upscaling) revisions.

That is what I was thinking and they don't need to use the higher end disks since they can probably make them scalable dependent on need. It would eliminate them from having to pay for rights to use other technology and really help them with piracy so I can definitely see this as a solution to multiple problems in a few years time.

bdouble

bcn-ron said:
:lol :lol

Holographic storage, huh? The tech industry's favourite running gag? I swear, every four to five years some other group starts fishing for investment, press releases come up, and then, inadvertantly, nothing comes out of it, usually around the time they notice that reading isn't enough and they also need a way to store data in the medium.
I wouldn't hold my breath on these guys to deliver either.

Umm the medium already works and InPhase is selling it right now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
pgtl_10 said:
This may sound funny but a cartridge idea could be revolutionary. Imagine buying a MMORPG on a cartridge which has about 300 GB of space. The actual game takes up 50GB of space. That leaves 250 GB of space that an user could download add-ons, expansions, DLC all onto the game cartridge. That way the cartridge will be a game and a memory card all in one.

Also downloads wouldn't work unless it is downloaded to the game cartridge preventing piracy or at least making piracy harder to obtain.

Nintendo was ahead of the curve when it launched the N64.

Pixe

InPhase aims for holographic home run
The company expects to generate greater revenues with an upcoming product, a smaller holographic drive now in development with an investment partner and aimed at the portable consumer electronics market. "You could get like 4 gigabytes in something about the size of a postage stamp," said vice president of marketing Liz Murphy. That product will hit the market in the 2009 timeframe, she said. If successful, the volumes of the consumer electronics product could overshadow the sales of the archival storage system.

..."And the consumer electronics product is the grand slam."

Xabora

laserbeam said:
"... disclosure is herein made that the claimed invention was made pursuant to a Joint Research Agreement as defined in 35 U.S.C. 103 (c)(3), that was in effect on or before the date the claimed invention was made, and as a result of activities undertaken within the scope of the Joint Research Agreement, by or on the behalf of Nintendo Co., and InPhase Technologies, Inc."

What is Holographic Storage?
xqknb7.gif

Top Bottom