• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Storage solution partnership?

freddy

Banned
The company has positioned itself as a “single source, one-stop” for all its customers’ media and storage needs, with 24/7 service, easy access in 6 major markets nationally, and diverse inventory. Media Distributors has emerged as a leading consulting and integration resource to the entertainment industry for desktop duplication, standalone, shared and mass storage devices, as well as the complete Apple line.

I doubt this will be on the current Wii. Probably the Wii's successor.

I would imagine that in the meantime Nintendo will just allow us to put games on our SD Cards.

Jumpman23

I think with this paragraph it is safe to assume that this is NOT for the home market but for the new DS to be released in 2009:

The company expects to generate greater revenues with an upcoming product, a smaller holographic drive now in development with an investment partner and aimed at the portable consumer electronics market. "You could get like 4 gigabytes in something about the size of a postage stamp," said vice president of marketing Liz Murphy. That product will hit the market in the 2009 timeframe, she said. If successful, the volumes of the consumer electronics product could overshadow the sales of the archival storage system.

This screams new DS to me...

laserbeam

Banned
Jumpman23 said:
I think with this paragraph it is safe to assume that this is NOT for the home market but for the new DS to be released in 2009:

The company expects to generate greater revenues with an upcoming product, a smaller holographic drive now in development with an investment partner and aimed at the portable consumer electronics market. "You could get like 4 gigabytes in something about the size of a postage stamp," said vice president of marketing Liz Murphy. That product will hit the market in the 2009 timeframe, she said. If successful, the volumes of the consumer electronics product could overshadow the sales of the archival storage system.

yeah for sure. Its a New Handheld with a mini-dvd style drive that just happens to hold like 4gb. Would seem to indicate the Handheld will not be the DS we know. Wouldnt make sense to upgrade the DS to use 4GB Mini discs and still have the N64 graphics etc

Jumpman23 said:

Sounds like it to me too

justchris

It would not be that bizarre for the successors to both the Wii & DS to use similar media. This could easily be for both systems.

gaheris

If Nintendo is going to use a 4 GB drive it makes you wonder what else they have in store for it and what kind of input devices will it use.

Jumpman23 said:

DS Holo confirmed.

laserbeam

Banned
gaheris said:
If Nintendo is going to use a 4 GB drive it makes you wonder what else they have in store for it and what kind of input devices will it use.

It's a Holographic Disc reader in the patent. So basically instead of the memory card games we would have 4GB holographic discs. They have to be totally redoing the specs of the DS etc for this to make any sense at all.

If nintendo is investing all this money into holographic dics I can see it being used for the Next Gen console too but the normal 300GB,800GB and 1.6TB disc

Jumpman23

gaheris said:

My guess would be that along with a form of media (mini-DVD, cartridge) I believe this new handheld will have a "Virtual Console" of sorts. Quite possibly the same one the Wii currently uses.

CamHostage

Neomoto said:
This reads as future onboard storage for their next-gen system, not the storage solution you probably meant in the topic title :)

Right. All this is is one form of data storage. The way they store the data on the medium is interesting, but there's nothing different or safer about this technology that would make Nintendo any more comfortable with this technology than any of the many, many other perfectly viable solutions available right now. They simply don't outweigh the possible security violations against offering external storage at this time, and unless they come up with something fully secure that connects via USB, I doubt they'll do anything in the future. It's possible new models of Wii will have more storage, and I'm sure they would liketo sell something for storage, but right now there's not enough value in it. They can't control it, they can't make a great deal of profit off of it, so they aren't doing anything about it.

Vinci

Danish
Jumpman23 said:

Holy shit. I want. I don't even know what they'd use it for, but I want it.

Gozan

Core407 said:
Then why go with holographic discs? The amount they can hold is ridiculously higher than that of a blu-ray disc and will carry a higher premium.

Loading times, loading times, loading times.

Wikipedia said:
Additionally, whereas magnetic and optical data storage records information a bit at a time in a linear fashion, holographic storage is capable of recording and reading millions of bits in parallel, enabling data transfer rates greater than those attained by optical storage.

Gozan said:
Loading times, loading times, loading times.
So it has shorter loading times?

IDK much about this tech but it seems like something that Nintendo chould use for both their new console and new hand-helds.

I thought about this tech when I posted on the "Wii2" topic. Seems like a good way to side step Sony's Blu-Ray seeing as I believe that the next Wii will come out at a time where this tech is cheaper (2013-2016).

Just thinking.

The game storage units for the next Nintendo handheld won't be much smaller in size than the DS game cards. Maybe SD card size at most. Because once they get too small, they'd be very easy to lose. And, well, kids have a tendency to misplace things.

I'm thinking 8GB or greater discs/cards about the same size as the DS game cards, though probably thinner.

aeolist

Banned
Once large-scale production is in place for holographic media it will be dirt cheap to make. It doesn't require expensive materials.

aeolist said:
Once large-scale production is in place for holographic media it will be dirt cheap to make. It doesn't require expensive materials.
Will there be large scale production of this?

I mean, it's been out for years and this thread is the first I have ever heard of it. Is this something thats inline to fight Blu-ray in the format wars or is it something completely different?

laserbeam

Banned
Black-Wind said:
Will there be large scale production of this?

I mean, it's been out for years and this thread is the first I have ever heard of it. Is this something thats inline to fight Blu-ray in the format wars or is it something completely different?

It was never intended to be a Competitor to blu ray just the future of Disc Based Storage systems. Technologically though it is vastly superior to blu ray and is impressive enough Nintendo jumped on board and helped fund company research.

Current Disc reading technology is very slow for discs the larger they get because the sysem remains the same as far as Bits read per second etc. With Holography you move into the millions of bits a second.

The technology really is impressive and as you said in development for a long time its just finally coming out of the labs and into consumer hands so youll start to hear alot more about it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The DS2? Think of two iPhones duct-taped together to form a DS-like setup :p
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be true.

wazoo

laserbeam said:
yeah for sure. Its a New Handheld with a mini-dvd style drive that just happens to hold like 4gb. Would seem to indicate the Handheld will not be the DS we know. Wouldnt make sense to upgrade the DS to use 4GB Mini discs and still have the N64 graphics etc

Exactly, DS media is enough for the capabilities of the DS, and still they could get higher (like we already have 256MB cartridge, 512MB should be possible) without changing the media support. GC level, like PSP, need 1GB+ to shine, IMO.

So, we get a new handheld in 2009 ??

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
dualscreen-wiimote-front-open.jpg

one thing about nintendo is that they make good bets in terms of upcoming technology companies - even if from our perspective they don't necessarily implement a lot of these things

nintendo was playing around with floppy discs, cd-roms, re-writability, online/satellite connections for years before anyone else was

they had great insight into sound when they invested in sony's technology for audio - they also invested in the super FX chip because they felt polygons were the natural evolution of gaming

in the late snes era they gambled with silicon graphics and wire-frame rendering when game designers, etc. had no idea it would be the future (most relying on crude polygons or sprites) - and they were spot-on

in japan of course they had the super famicom cart-save system, where you kept one cart and could buy new games for it (get it uploaded)... that's something that few others had considered doing at that point and nintendo actually pulled it off quite successfully

with the n64 - they bet on RAMBUS memory as being the next big thing, and they were right (well to a degree anyways) - even if the n64 had other cripping problems

with gamecube, they went with artX and bet that they would have the technology to make flipper really great, and lo' and behold they were bought out by ATI

another great bet with nintendo was their belief that mo-sys would would be the next rambus with their 1T-sram tech, and if anyone here follows memory, mo-sys has been followed with great enthusiasm with people in the industry, and they are constantly being talked about as a buy-out target for quite a few major chip makers

nintendo's investments in this upcoming add-on to the wii-mote, and the company behind it, are also a step ahead, technologically, even if it doesn't seem that way to us who are really focused on the graphics and the underlying horsepower

i think this patent holds great promise... i want to see how nintendo puts it to good use in a practical setting...

tehrik-e-insaaf said:
one thing about nintendo is that they make good bets in terms of upcoming technology companies - even if from our perspective they don't necessarily implement a lot of these things

nintendo was playing around with floppy discs, cd-roms, re-writability, online/satellite connections for years before anyone else was

they had great insight into sound when they invested in sony's technology for audio - they also invested in the super FX chip because they felt polygons were the natural evolution of gaming

in the late snes era they gambled with silicon graphics and wire-frame rendering when game designers, etc. had no idea it would be the future (most relying on crude polygons or sprites) - and they were spot-on

in japan of course they had the super famicom cart-save system, where you kept one cart and could buy new games for it (get it uploaded)... that's something that few others had considered doing at that point and nintendo actually pulled it off quite successfully

with the n64 - they bet on RAMBUS memory as being the next big thing, and they were right (well to a degree anyways) - even if the n64 had other cripping problems

with gamecube, they went with artX and bet that they would have the technology to make flipper really great, and lo' and behold they were bought out by ATI

another great bet with nintendo was their belief that mo-sys would would be the next rambus with their 1T-sram tech, and if anyone here follows memory, mo-sys has been followed with great enthusiasm with people in the industry, and they are constantly being talked about as a buy-out target for quite a few major chip makers

nintendo's investments in this upcoming add-on to the wii-mote, and the company behind it, are also a step ahead, technologically, even if it doesn't seem that way to us who are really focused on the graphics and the underlying horsepower

i think this patent holds great promise... i want to see how nintendo puts it to good use in a practical setting...

too bad thats what really matters in the market place. Research all you like but if you don't actually invest in it, then who cares.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MorisUkunRasik said:
too bad thats what really matters in the market place. Research all you like but if you don't actually invest in it, then who cares.

There's a comparison to NASA and velcro here, but I'm not sure I'm the right one to make that comparison.

Neomoto

tehrik-e-insaaf said:

Indeed, Nintendo is very much on the ball when it comes to these kinds of things. They always had great hardware imo, and always holds true to demands Nintendo wants, like affordability for mass consumers for example.

It's also pretty telling for me that Nintendo is doing things like MotionPlus when the generation is already long up and running. Makes you wonder what Nintendo will do with both their next portable AND console. If anything, it must be harder to make a complete package for everyone (even the expanded audience and such) then anyone had to do ever before.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MorisUkunRasik said:
shouldnt the d pad and other buttons be on the bottom half. being so high makes it look uncomfortable

you can't see it, but the top half slides over the bottom half, like a slider cell phone with a qwerty keyboard. that circle on the bottom left is a touch-based analogue control. dual triggers underneath bottom half function as L/R buttons when in DS mode.

wazoo

Nintendo was doing DLC by Satelliview in the 80's. XBLA and PSN are just internet implementation of this, 20 year later.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MorisUkunRasik said:
oh, you would think people would want immediate access to the start and select buttons

when in wiimote2 mode the screen (the top one in DS2 mode) functions as the home/+/- that are in place now. it's a touchscreen.

MorisUkunRasik said:

well i guess my point is a little more nuanced

i am saying that i think nintendo does infact invest in a lot of these bleeding-edge technologies and R&D, just that we don't necessarily see them yield benefits to us in the ways that certain gamers would prefer, like dvd-playback last generation or high-end graphics and sound this generation

remember, nintendo is focused on getting high-end low-cost high-reliability components into mass-produced devices that will sell tens of millions of units that meet the specification of their blueprint for success, the kinds of investments they have made have been very shrewd, and the success of mo-sys, artX, etc. are all testament to this

innovations like rambus, 1t-sram, artX flipper tech, etc. may not seem to be that big to you, but actually, they redefined (or have significantly influenced) the norms of the industry and how gadget manufacturers were considering efficient device design and setting up seemless international supply chain for fixed configuration devices

i won't get into how much money nintendo sunk into analog control, analogue sticks, d-pads, etc - nintendo has hundreds of patents around it

in many ways apple is very similar - they have at least 300 patents just covering the initial iphone alone! many things we take for granted like scrolling through albums with the flick of a finger, but actually, they have spent millions researching to understand

stuff you take for granted is actually a huge R&D outlay!

of course some companies find it easier to just imitate... ;-)

nli10 said:
That's like crediting Alexander Graham Bell with the invention of the Mobile Phone...

oh come now, let's not take it to that extreme! nintendo also did stuff with downloadable pokemon, etc. they have been trying to do more and more on the basis of their target blueprint for success

but still, credit should be given where it is due - microsoft has done a phenomenal job with xbox live, and they should be credited for their INNOVATIONS (yes I said it) in this area

now if msft would invest a bit more in their dash interface... maybe they can imitate sony a bit more in this area ;-)

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Okay wait...I keep reading this patent and while Nintendo is involved and maybe it might be something someday...I don't see how it is connected to the previous InPhase comments about them working on a 4GB storage format for a portable consumer electronics device in 2009? Sure, it *could be* NDS's successor, but how is 4GB of read-only (yes, read the patents) so grande when re-writable SD cards already beat that now for cheaper? Sure, SD is open to the mass consumer (pirate), but the flash storage technology it's based on can be made into a propriety format much like the NDS's current game cards.

Yeah holographic storage could be great for piracy thwarting, but is Nintendo going to put an NDS slot (for B/C), flash storage (such as an SD card slot or internal flash) *AND* a holo-card slot for a new WORM (write once read many) format??? It just doesn't fit in. MAYBE this patent deals with making the NDS card & holo card slot one in the same, but as I read it over and over that's not what I'm seeing. And if it were, what would be the point when flash technology is already there, for cheaper and offers re-writability if needbe.

More confusion for me today and finding out more about this technology really makes me think that my universal format idea is just a dream as I would not chose this technology even with all it's "benifits"!

Log4Girlz

Perhaps its just the groundwork for the next software medium for the DS.

Btw does anyone know the cost for 1GB, 2GB and 4GB flash cards on the manufacturing end, like how much the physically cost to make?

Top Bottom