• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch #1 Selling Hardware in September. Nintendo Systems = 2/3 Total sales.

OCD Guy

Joke doesn't really work when you can just replace the Joycon.

With some of the usual suspects that seem so bitter about the Switch, I find it hard to tell what is and isn't a joke to be honest.

Anyway I'm sure they'll be along shortly to somehow twist this news into a negative.....

kami_sama

Oh wow, that's great!
I always lovo seeing how the switch is doing.
Shame it's performance is not the same in Europe tho.

ggx2ac

This is what I was referencing back in April:

I could see the Switch winning NPD comfortably through August.

August 2017. PS4 will easily top the charts in September assuming there is a mass produced Destiny 2 bundle.

PS4 wont be topped after August, period.

Its got Gran Turismo coming, then Spiderman, Red Dead Redemption 2, Star Wars, Destiny 2 and Call of Duty.

Literally nothing stops Sony this fall.

Me responding to StrongBlackVine:

This doesn't make sense. If Switch is winning comfortably through to August, then it will do even better during the holiday period.

I can't see how PS4 will suddenly top the charts "easily" at the end of the year if the Switch will "comfortably" win NPDs through to August unless Switch sales suddenly collapse before the holiday period, it would continue to keep growing through to the holidays.

_____

So quite the shock, and some good fun.

Edit: Crap, edited my old post when I meant to edit this one.

FelipeMGM

Rest in Piece Pokken.
My guess for top 10 is
NBA2k18
Destiny 2
Madden 18
Fifa 18
GTA:V
?
Mario and Rabbids
Metroid SR
?
Mario Kart 8D
Zelda

?? Hmm

this is pretty good, and my guess for those two vacancies are prob two of august top sellers still. If Splatoon 2 was there, Nintendo would have mentioned so not that

Im gonna bet that they are among these: Uncharted TLL, Crash, R6 Siege and Overwatch

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rabbids at number 7? Is that a bit of a disappointment?

troybilts

Neo Member
This is good to hear for Nintendo. I really like to see them doing well. Though I am still somewhat skeptical that it will sustain this after the holiday. To do it I really think they will have to have a steady stream of games.

On a related note I received a survey from GS that asked very specific Switch questions centered around why I have yet to buy a switch. Thought it was interesting, seems to point at the softening or maybe they are trying to come up with some targeted marketing.

balgajo

Given the number of Switch games I bet people are buying it to decorate their houses. Some colors are indeed beautiful.

yuraya

Wow didn't PS4 do like 600k when the first Destiny launched? People weren't kidding about Destiny 2 underperforming. Switch is a beast. And its only gonna do bigger numbers as the library grows and price comes down.

Bioshocker

Stay winning Nintendo. Such a turn around from the Wii U. Can't wait to see their Holiday earnings.

It's not really a fair comparison, I think. I stand by that Switch is first and foremost a handheld. So it should be compared more to 3DS than Wii U. In the end that doesn't matter much for Nintendo, of course, because one sold unit is a sold unit no matter what we call the system.

This is what I was referencing back in April:

Me responding to StrongBlackVine:

_____

So quite the shock, and some good fun.

Yeah the goalposts being moved is becoming incredibly silly and disingenuous around now. Toni is Toni admittedly but I know I saw plenty of comments from users who aren't as emotionally attached to corporations that would not even entertain the possibility that the Switch would be competitive to the PS4 this holiday, and crow is due for posts like that. Anyone saying "expected", "not a surprise" or "this isn't really all that impressive for XYZ reasons" isn't being honest with how the last several months have gone.

You were right on the money to be sure :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rabbids at number 7? Is that a bit of a disappointment?
It depends what #7 works out to.

If it’s 200K, that’s around what you get from XCOM on consoles.

If it’s 70K, that would be really poor.

They didn’t give software numbers though so you can assume anything you want until we get leaks.

ggx2ac

I am pretty sure a lot of them were contingent on stock availability by Nintendo. Saying that, I did think PS4 might edge it out this month thanks to destiny 2 but that pro bundle at 449 was just not attractive enough I guess.

Are you referring to the shortages Nintendo has had? Because we didn't find out about the problem of Nintendo running into shortages with Switch until May. (Which I was referring to predictions from April.)

Hero

Good results all around but I'm particularly happy that Metroid Samus Returns seems to have done pretty well!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah, not all territories are the same.
But at least Spain does not have a shortage of Switches.
Last I went to mediamarkt, they had stacks of them.

Erm....the system being in stock doesnt mean its performing bad.

Thats not how it works. It has been selling well in France and Germany and they have enough stock for a while now - otherwise the Holiday season would be a complete disaster for Nintendo.

It's not really a fair comparison, I think. I stand by that Switch is first and foremost a handheld. So it should be compared more to 3DS than Wii U. In the end that doesn't matter much for Nintendo, of course, because one sold unit is a sold unit no matter what we call the system.

Nah it’s a home console first and foremost which had handheld capabilities

XS1BXk9.gif
XS1BXk9.gif
XS1BXk9.gif
XS1BXk9.gif

D.Lo

It's console priced, has console games, and has replaced their console while their handheld remains on the market.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, sales are sales, but it's their console priced hardware, that they sell console controllers and accessories for, and the place they are going to sell their console games.

Plum

Why would you compare it to the much cheaper 3DS* instead of the similarly-priced Wii U? It's a hybrid console priced at home console prices, the handheld component doesn't really factor into that anywhere.

*Outside of those few months at launch when it was 'only' $50 cheaper

Freeman76

I was on the fence about the switch up until 3 weeks ago. I got the console with MK8 and BoTW for £298 on a good deal, and I haven't touched my PS4 or PC since.

Love it.

Excellent numbers. Shame Pokkén bombed, the Switch community had a terrible first impression because of that Direct and nothing could save it after that.

Little Mons†er;252493191 said:
Nah it’s a home console first and foremost which had handheld capabilities
I don't think it matters really, but it is quite literally a handheld even if you don't use it as one. Just look at it.

Usobuko

Banned
2/3 is kinda of a huge ratio, relatively.

PS4 and Xbox One at 1/3 vs Switch and 3ds at 2/3.

Unless 3ds sales are rejuvenated at this twilight junction, Switch must have been selling really well.

Top Bottom