• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Dev Kit Stats Leaked? Cortex A57, 4GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Multi-Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Ehhh I don't think the speed of the dock/undock really matters so much for anyone. Chances are when you dock you're not going to be ready to play straight away anyway.

I don't agree. I think many people will just have it in their bags when they get home and only remember to plonk it on the dock if they want to resume playing or charge the thing.

ozfunghi

I don't agree. I think many people will just have it in their bags when they get home and only remember to plonk it on the dock if they want to resume playing or charge the thing.

That's not what he's saying, I believe. He's talking about when you dock it to play on the TV, you need to detach the controllers, slide them into the grip, turn on the TV, select the input, sit your ass down on the couch... Before you get to continue playing. That's easily 20 seconds in which the switch has more than enough time to actually switch.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's not what he's saying, I believe. He's talking about when you dock it to play on the TV, you need to detach the controllers, slide them into the grip, turn on the TV, select the input, sit your ass down on the couch... Before you get to continue playing. That's easily 20 seconds in which the switch has more than enough time to actually switch.

Ah, I completely misinterpreted the conversation. My bad.

ASIS

Yes, I think Laura Kate Dale said the switch takes a couple of seconds, it's not really instant.

All there'd need to be is a warning, that way only stupid people can't sue if their device breaks.

Edit: I mean, when you look at the trailer. The undock occurs after you pull the whole device out which was just an effect and not the real thing when it is likely the undock occurs after the connector is removed.
That better not be the case. It's fine if docking the console takes a few seconds. But undocking has to be as instantaneous as demonstrated in the teaser. Why? Because it looked really cool. I'm not joking. The switch between TV to handheld was one of the most impressive things in the trailer. Having a few second delay would ruin that feel.

MDave

I think a neat thing the dock could do is it changes the TV input to the correct HDMI channel when you dock and undock the Switch. Turning on/off my PS3 and PS4 do this, but not my Wii U. Is it expensive to include that functionality?

I'm talking about actual specs. I'm talking about press seeing numbers like 750 Gflops and 4GB of RAM in a press release and saying "they're lower than the numbers Sony and MS have, so this must be a pretty weak machine". Presenting stuff like that well, in a positive context on stage can make a huge difference to how it's interpreted compared to just dumping it on a press release.

To give a stupid off the top of my head example, consider the following two options for presenting the same piece of information:

Anyone reading the first will simply compare the numbers to what Sony and MS has published, see that their FP32 figures are much higher and conclude that Switch is well behind the competition and that FP16 isn't really used in games so doesn't count.

Someone watching the second, though, will get the impression that FP16 is super-efficient secret sauce that Nvidia invented to allow Nintendo to cram console hardware into a portable, and that maybe it is possible that this really competes with XBO and PS4 in such a small box. It even pre-emptively counters the claim that games can't really make use of FP16 by presenting one game that does. Never mind that that game happens to be a complete outlier and most third parties are closer to 20% utilisation, as people are going to latch onto the one data point they're given, not ponder the possible distribution. Never mind, either, that it might only achieve half or less of that 1.5TF of FP16 when in portable mode, because most people will simply never think that hard about it.

That actually seems like an extremely impressive marketing ploy in my opinion. I sure hope someone from Nintendo sees that idea (if they haven't come up with it already).

Though the Pikmin subtitle will be Shadows of Olimar, not Revenge of the Pikmin.

I think a neat thing the dock could do is it changes the TV input to the correct HDMI channel when you dock and undock the Switch. Turning on/off my PS3 and PS4 do this, but not my Wii U. Is it expensive to include that functionality?
This is called HDMI CEC. It's a feature of HDMI, remote control signals are sent along the wire. So if Nintendo are licensing HDMI all that is needed is for them to make the effort to support CEC as a software feature/option.

I'd be surprised if they didn't include it. But, hey, this is Nintendo.

This is called HDMI CEC. It's a feature of HDMI, remote control signals are sent along the wire. So if Nintendo are licensing HDMI all that is needed is for them to make the effort to support CEC as a software feature/option.

CEC works like ass

Earendil

Just in case people want to revisit the Wii U die shots saga here are both threads:

Wii U CPU
Wii U GPU

Sadly, both pictures in the highest resolution are no longer there and I don't know if either Fourth Storm or Thraktor have them saved on their computeres but it's better than nothing.

I think I have them if needed. I'll look around and see.

EDIT: I found the GPU shot, but I don't have the CPU:

VqoHcJC.jpg

High Res Shot

MDave

Ah I see, I think for QoL and just overall good user experience its something they do. Docking the Switch while it's on and then looking for the TV remote, pressing the input button until you select the correct HDMI input, and the little pauses each time the TV makes while going through all the HDMI inputs until it gets to the one the Switch is on doesn't sound like an elegant user experience hah.

Especially if you skip the correct input because the TV UI is a laggy piece of crap then you scroll over again :p

Not a deal breaker, but it drops the appeal of the Switching a bit.

EVH

Man, I was just trying Metroid Prime with the Dolphin Emulator on my computer, connected to a 1080p TV and playing with the 360 controller. It's not the gamecube, but I miss it so much. Maybe a bit of memberberries here but Metroid Prime is still amazing. Just the intro section feels so fucking great and has an amazing setting.

Hope we can see this someday in Switch.

Rodin

Man, I was just trying Metroid Prime with the Dolphin Emulator on my computer, connected to a 1080p TV and playing with the 360 controller. It's not the gamecube, but I miss it so much. Maybe a bit of memberberries here but Metroid Prime is still amazing. Just the intro section feels so fucking great and has an amazing setting.

Hope we can see this someday in Switch.
Nah that's just because it's still the greatest game of all time by a large margin

TannerDemoz

Just wondering:

Where will save data go? Will it be cartridge based saves old-school style?

What about updates? That storage could fill up quick?

ozfunghi

PS4 announcement conference was watched by less than half of the actual PS3 userbase. How can it cater to the non-Sony audience when a large part of the Sony audience itself hasn't watch it even now, almost 4 years since the reveal.

The difference there, is that you know what to expect from Sony. For Nintendo, this was a huge shift, again. And yet it struggled to garner more hype than the WiiU. I'm just trying to be realistic here. If you think this event is suddenly going to be viewed by every gamer on the planet, just because Nintendo "wills it so". The point wasn't to show that it doesn't matter if people watch it before buying the console. The point was if it even matters to disclose this kind of information, that is only important to a minority, when a large part of that minority will likely not even watch the conference.

Someone watching the second, though, will get the impression that FP16 is super-efficient secret sauce that Nvidia invented to allow Nintendo to cram console hardware into a portable, and that maybe it is possible that this really competes with XBO and PS4 in such a small box. It even pre-emptively counters the claim that games can't really make use of FP16 by presenting one game that does. Never mind that that game happens to be a complete outlier and most third parties are closer to 20% utilisation, as people are going to latch onto the one data point they're given, not ponder the possible distribution. Never mind, either, that it might only achieve half or less of that 1.5TF of FP16 when in portable mode, because most people will simply never think that hard about it.

Yeah, so basically lie about it, lol. Ok sure. You could simply achieve the same thing by giving the same presentation, without claiming 1.5TF etc. Just say how efficient it is, that it can deliver console gaming on the go but don't mention any numbers. Show a 3rd party multiplat game running with near PS4 graphics and that'll do just fine. Or you could also state in your press release that it is capable of 1.5TF in fp16? I mean, people who know what it means, won't be fooled. People who are interested in this kind of information, will find it anyway. So i don't see the point really. But ok. The people Nintendo needs to convince in the first place, is the 3rd party devs and publishers, imo.

Again, I think that's exceedingly unlikely.

Nintendo does not want you to spend your time with the Switch playing games you didn't buy through Nintendo's channels.

People have speculated that Nintendo could charge a subscription fee to allow PC streaming, but I agree it's pretty unlikely.

Just wondering:

I think the 3DS game cards (and likely the Switch ones too) use read-only memory, so they wouldn't allow any games to write to them. There's a lot of evidence though that Nintendo is preparing for cloud saves, such as when they showed a slide about cloud saves in one of the recent investor briefings.

The difference there, is that you know what to expect from Sony. For Nintendo, this was a huge shift, again. And yet it struggled to garner more hype than the WiiU. I'm just trying to be realistic here. If you think this event is suddenly going to be viewed by every gamer on the planet, just because Nintendo "wills it so". The point wasn't to show that it doesn't matter if people watch it before buying the console. The point was if it even matters to disclose this kind of information, that is only important to a minority, when a large part of that minority will likely not even watch the conference.

Yeah, so basically lie about it, lol. Ok sure. You could simply achieve the same thing by giving the same presentation, without claiming 1.5TF etc. Just say how efficient it is, that it can deliver console gaming on the go but don't mention any numbers. Show a 3rd party multiplat game running with near PS4 graphics and that'll do just fine. Or you could also state in your press release that it is capable of 1.5TF in fp16? I mean, people who know what it means, won't be fooled. People who are interested in this kind of information, will find it anyway. So i don't see the point really. But ok. The people Nintendo needs to convince in the first place, is the 3rd party devs and publishers, imo.

I don't really think you can say that the Switch trailer "struggled to garner more hype than the WiiU" at this point. I mean, for one thing the views on Youtube for the Switch have absolutely demolished the Wii U views. They're on pace to beat the PS4 reveal views too. I don't think number of views is really the best metric for hype, but then again I don't think there is a very good metric for hype at all, so I don't know where you got your "struggled to garner more hype than the WiiU" from.

And anyway, yes they should "lie" about specs. Thraktor's example is a perfect application of marketing, since marketing is essentially all about bending the truth. The vast majority of gamers do understand some tech talk- they will know gigs, flops and resolution. They will not know floating point precision. If you can give one good example of a game using as much FP16 code as possible to actually hit a real performance close to 1.5TF, then you can say "this portable console from Nintendo can offer up to 1.5TFlops of performance on the go!" That's a conecpt that most gamers will understand and eat up.

Press releases don't work that way because it's hard to ensure they are read in the proper context. Marketing is all about framing and context, and having someone on stage who's essentially made a meme out of himself for being able to talk about any small feature of a piece of hardware as if it's the greatest thing you will eve see would be a huge, positive marketing move.

TunaLover

Many HDMI devices come with Arc HDMI they comunicate each other, not sure if it really needs to be implemented, your TV/receiver will detect Switch regardles, at least my setup allow me already do that with Wii U.

Steph_E.

Those ports quickly dried up on the Wii. Outside of a few titles I don't recall sales to be all that good and some publishers like Electronic Arts stopped making games on it. The online services were not comparable and most publishers are not going to make special editions just to cater the uniqueness of Nintendo's hardware.

Seriously? FIFA, Madden, NBA, Tiger Woods, Boom Blox, Sports Active, Need For Speed, My Sims, Harry Potter, Hasbro Family Game Night etc all had multiple games released on Wii and there were many other one-off games too.

sfried

And anyway, yes they should "lie" about specs. Thraktor's example is a perfect application of marketing, since marketing is essentially all about bending the truth. The vast majority of gamers do understand some tech talk- they will know gigs, flops and resolution. They will not know floating point precision. If you can give one good example of a game using as much FP16 code as possible to actually hit a real performance close to 1.5TF, then you can say "this portable console from Nintendo can offer up to 1.5TFlops of performance on the go!" That's a conecpt that most gamers will understand and eat up.

I always thought the mainstream (and GAF for that matter) was a sucker for hype. If there was one thing that Nintendo has struggled in a while, it was decent marketing since the N64 days. Even during the GameCube era, they were still trying to shake off that "kiddy"
notion, and here we are now with the Switch reveal that contained absolutely no kids whatsoever in its presentation, showing of all things, a young adult enjoying Skyrim on a plane: That alone sends a strong message.

I don't think this is the discussion though about Nintendo's (future) marketing strategies. I'm more interested what's inside the box for the Switch, and how it ticks. So far, 4GB RAM is what rumors claim (what type?), and SDXC and beyond for storage, using similar (3)DS form factor "game cards" starting at 16GB and beyond, but we still don't know what fab process and we still don't know what ARM chips, other than it could fall into a number of Tegra configurations.

I always thought the mainstream (and GAF for that matter) was a sucker for hype. If there was one thing that Nintendo has struggled in a while, it was decent marketing since the N64 days. Even during the GameCube era, they were still trying to shake off that "kiddy"
notion, and here we are now with the Switch reveal that contained absolutely no kids whatsoever in its presentation, showing of all things, a young adult enjoying Skyrim on a plane: That alone sends a strong message.

I don't think this is the discussion though about Nintendo's (future) marketing strategies. I'm more interested what's inside the box for the Switch, and how it ticks. So far, 4GB RAM is what rumors claim (what type?), and SDXC and beyond for storage, using similar (3)DS form factor "game cards" starting at 16GB and beyond, but we still don't know what fab process and we still don't know what ARM chips, other than it could fall into a number of Tegra configurations.

Yeah it will be interesting to see the exact specifics, and what they choose to announce vs what will have to be broken down after it releases. I'm expecting them to talk a bit about the game cards and how they're faster than blu-ray discs, potentially even faster than HDDs... No idea if they'll go into specifics about the CPU but if there is an advantage there over PS4/XB1 (or even PS4Pro potentially) then it would make sense to mention it, at least loosely.

They also really need to discuss the Switch screen in terms of ppi rather than resolution. I mean, it has a larger pixel density than some of Apple's retina displays, so they could even go so far as to call it a retina display (unless that's actually trademarked haha). Either way, there will be creative marketing at this presentation, regardless if we wind up finding out everything about the specs there or not.

CEC works like ass
In my experience, it's been great.

Many HDMI devices come with Arc HDMI they comunicate each other, not sure if it really needs to be implemented, your TV/receiver will detect Switch regardles, at least my setup allow me already do that with Wii U.
ARC (audio return channel) is only for audio. But I think I know what you mean - most TVs will switch to an input when they detect a new signal on it. Kind of "always watch the most recently connected input"

Just wondering:

If it works like 3DS, the norm is the saves would go on the game card while updates would go to the internal storage or SD card. Though I'd theorize games that are particularly freewheeling with their amount of saves and ballooning save file size like Skyrim might allow saves off the game card.

Thraktor

Yeah it would certainly require some serious thought. There could be two possibilities I can see.

1) Nintendo realise that PC gamers will be PC Gamers and buy on PC anyway. Therefore why not try and sell them a Switch too. And to follow this, they basically see it as a value add for console gamers to play a few PC games too.

2) Nintendo have a PC store too where your games are Switch streamable. :)

From a purely personal point of view, I'm predominantly a PC gamer at the moment who will pretty much buy all multiplatform games on PC by default. For me, the Switch is the first gaming device which would actually give me a reason to pick a game up on anything other than PC, as it would allow me to play it either on a TV/monitor or in portable mode. I wouldn't change to buying multiplats exclusively on Switch, and I don't expect that everyone is like myself, but there should, nonetheless be a niche of PC gamers who see the Switch as an actual alternative that would be worth buying games on instead in some cases.

They would be pretty much killing a lot of profit from that niche if they allow them to stream games from PC, evaporating a lot of the incentive to change their purchasing patterns over to Switch. It just doesn't seem like a sensible thing for Nintendo to do.

Though the Pikmin subtitle will be Shadows of Olimar, not Revenge of the Pikmin.

I'm imagining a game where you play as the pikmin king, leading your people against the ruthless tyrant Olimar, who landed on your planet and waged a brutal, destructive war, taking thousands of trusting peaceful pikmin as slaves and sending them to their deaths in combat, only so that he could pillage everything of value from the land and abandon a planet now littered with mangled corpses. I assume the story would be a treatise on the inhumanity of war and the futility of using it as a means to promote peace, as the pikmin king gradually realises that he is turning into Olimar himself, killing so many of those pikmin he once swore to protect.

Edit: From Software game, perhaps?

I'm saying they use PR spin, just as every other similar presentation does, whether it's for gaming hardware or phones or PCs or any other consumer electronics. The proportion of people watching these things who actually know what the specs mean is absolutely minuscule, and the rest will happily focus on the aspects of the specs that Nintendo wants them to focus on. This isn't exactly some radical idea, Sony put on a presentation in 2013 to promote the first console ever to be released with a less powerful CPU than its predecessor, and huge numbers of people came out thinking that moving to the x86 instruction set was a genius decision which would prove the key to creating powerful next-gen video games. We still have people today who regularly just assume that Switch using an ARM CPU completely rules out ports, which all comes back to Sony's "turbo-charged PC architecture" presentation.

If it works like 3DS, the norm is the saves would go on the game card while updates would go to the internal storage or SD card. Though I'd theorize games that are particularly freewheeling with their amount of saves and ballooning save file size like Skyrim might allow saves off the game card.

I actually doubt that Switch game cards will have save memory on them. We have to remember that the DS/3DS game card standard was designed back around 2003/2004, when in-device storage was minuscule and the notion of cloud saves would have been considered, well, pie-in-the-sky. Games effectively had to save to card, so they designed an interface that could handle saves, and they designed the cards to accommodate a separate flash chip for saves to live on.

Judging by the video, Switch game cards use a completely new interface (the pin count and location is different from DS/3DS), so they get to rethink the assumptions they made over 10 years ago. Firstly, the Switch itself will have onboard storage, and even 32GB would cover a card-only gamers saves without issue, but they'll also be allowing microSD to complement it. Secondly, Nintendo have been hinting about cloud saves for the past couple of years, so save games should be able to follow you from device to device even without being stored on the card. Then there's the interface, as a read-only interface will be simpler and cheaper to implement. Lastly, and most importantly, is the cost of including flash memory (and the necessary control logic to accommodate it) on the card itself. This isn't a trivial cost when manufacturing hundreds of millions of game cards, and by eliminating it they can make higher capacity, faster game cards cheaper, making the system more attractive to third parties. In fact, even aside from that, it would be substantially cheaper for Nintendo to add 1GB of storage to Switch's internal memory pool than it would be to include separate 128MB flash chips in each of the 8 games that the owner may expect to buy.

On a completely separate note, the first device using ARM A73 cores was just launched today (and, for what it's worth, the second to use TSMC's 16FFC process). I don't expect Nintendo to use A73s in Switch, as I believe the device was originally intended to launch around now, and it would have been cutting it tight to to try squeeze them into that timescale. Nonetheless, if Anandtech to a similar analysis of the Kirin 960 as they did for the 950 it will give us a good idea of the power savings of 16FFC and any performance/power differences between A73 and A72.

I'm imagining a game where you play as the pikmin king, leading your people against the ruthless tyrant Olimar, who landed on your planet and waged a brutal, destructive war, taking thousands of trusting peaceful pikmin as slaves and sending them to their deaths in combat, only so that he could pillage everything of value from the land and abandon a planet now littered with mangled corpses. I assume the story would be a treatise on the inhumanity of war and the futility of using it as a means to promote peace, as the pikmin king gradually realises that he is turning into Olimar himself, killing so many of those pikmin he once swore to protect.

Edit: From Software game, perhaps?

Pikmin do have souls when they die... Pikmin Souls? That would certainly qualify as From's "weird game."

The Souls game no one asked for.

On a completely separate note, the first device using ARM A73 cores was just launched today (and, for what it's worth, the second to use TSMC's 16FFC process). I don't expect Nintendo to use A73s in Switch, as I believe the device was originally intended to launch around now, and it would have been cutting it tight to to try squeeze them into that timescale. Nonetheless, if Anandtech to a similar analysis of the Kirin 960 as they did for the 950 it will give us a good idea of the power savings of 16FFC and any performance/power differences between A73 and A72.

So this what people were expecting from the Switch right?

A73 core device
1080p screen
64 GB Flash memory
At least 6 GB LPDDR4 RAM
At least 6,000 mAh

But for 699 euro? Fuck that
199 or bust!

People sure are delusional

A73 core device
1080p screen
64 GB Flash memory
At least 6 GB LPDDR4 RAM
At least 6,000 mAh

199 or bust!

Didn't he say he's not expecting A73s? I don't really see anyone in here who is expecting that...

Didn't he say he's not expecting A73s? I don't really see anyone in here who is expecting that...

I am not talking about Thraktor. I am talking about things that I have read here and in the 720p screen thread. Even if the thing did not have A73's all the other specs would surely push the device north of $249, which for some seems too much.

I am not talking about Thraktor. I am talking about things that I have read here and in the 720p screen thread. Even if the thing did not have A73's all the other specs would surely push the device north of $249, which for some seems too much.

Well I personally think Nintendo should try everything they can to get this priced at $199, not because I won't buy it otherwise or that I think it's not worth that, but because I think this gives it by far the best chance of success, because that's firmly within impulse buy territory. And I want this to be crazy successful for Nintendo so I can get future Nintendo consoles and games for years to come.

But people who want those things (1080p screen, bigger battery, A73's, 1.5TFlops of 32FP, etc.) are likely willing to pay more if it has them. I think it's fair that some people would like to pay more for more premium features, but I doubt that group is very large.

Anteo

Just wondering:

Currently the 3ds has games that save all onthe game card, others that save some on the sd and some on the card. Also I read Monster Hunter Gen saves everything on the sd.

I bet the switch will do something similar. Depends on the dev but mostly main data on de card and other stuff on the sd if necesary

Thraktor

Pikmin do have souls when they die... Pikmin Souls? That would certainly qualify as From's "weird game."

The Souls game no one asked for.

Well, Pikmin do have little ghosts that float up as they're killed, but mainly I just think it would be funny for Nintendo to radically change the tone of the series.

A73 core device
1080p screen
64 GB Flash memory
At least 6 GB LPDDR4 RAM
At least 6,000 mAh

199 or bust!

Eh, what? I literally say right there that I don't expect Switch to use A73s. Not only that, but A73 cores are actually cheaper than A72s or A57s. Same with the 16FFC manufacturing process used, which are the only two things I talked about.

I actually doubt that Switch game cards will have save memory on them. We have to remember that the DS/3DS game card standard was designed back around 2003/2004, when in-device storage was minuscule and the notion of cloud saves would have been considered, well, pie-in-the-sky. Games effectively had to save to card, so they designed an interface that could handle saves, and they designed the cards to accommodate a separate flash chip for saves to live on.

Judging by the video, Switch game cards use a completely new interface (the pin count and location is different from DS/3DS), so they get to rethink the assumptions they made over 10 years ago. Firstly, the Switch itself will have onboard storage, and even 32GB would cover a card-only gamers saves without issue, but they'll also be allowing microSD to complement it.
I can see your points about things like the manufacturing savings per game card, but it doesn't really seem any different than for 3DS. Internal storage plus expansion by SD was the norm and the several gigabytes included was much much higher than almost any conceivable 3DS gamer would ever use for save data.

ggx2ac

Judging by the video, Switch game cards use a completely new interface (the pin count and location is different from DS/3DS), so they get to rethink the assumptions they made over 10 years ago. Firstly, the Switch itself will have onboard storage, and even 32GB would cover a card-only gamers saves without issue, but they'll also be allowing microSD to complement it. Secondly, Nintendo have been hinting about cloud saves for the past couple of years, so save games should be able to follow you from device to device even without being stored on the card. Then there's the interface, as a read-only interface will be simpler and cheaper to implement. Lastly, and most importantly, is the cost of including flash memory (and the necessary control logic to accommodate it) on the card itself. This isn't a trivial cost when manufacturing hundreds of millions of game cards, and by eliminating it they can make higher capacity, faster game cards cheaper, making the system more attractive to third parties. In fact, even aside from that, it would be substantially cheaper for Nintendo to add 1GB of storage to Switch's internal memory pool than it would be to include separate 128MB flash chips in each of the 8 games that the owner may expect to buy.

I do really wonder about that. It definitely would be cheaper to have games just save to the 32GB NAND Flash on the Switch since as you mention, it would save money on manufacturing game cards and, even I was thinking yesterday if game cards were going to have like 3 save slots standard again like usual instead of being able to have as many save slots as you want.

The cloud storage would most likely have to be more of a backup option than to actively use since the Switch isn't likely to have 4G wireless to get to save wherever. Unless they keep telling people to use the internet on their phone and use a hotspot.

Would it be possible to have a NS SD card adapter, so you could fit a second (or two if the cart is big enough) SD Micro cards into your Switch? To manage your digital library. Saw this suggested on another forum.

I mean, you could have your "normal" SD card for saves and whatnot, and then just put 2 Micros on a adapter and put them in to cart cage so you can play your digital games without them eating up your space for more pressing things (saves, patches etc.?).

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

ggx2ac

Cuningas de Häme;222833307 said:
Would it be possible to have a NS SD card adapter, so you could fit a second (or two if the cart is big enough) SD Micro cards into your Switch? To manage your digital library. Saw this suggested on another forum.

I mean, you could have your "normal" SD card for saves and whatnot, and then just put 2 Micros on a adapter and put them in to cart cage so you can play your digital games without them eating up your space for more pressing things (saves, patches etc.?).

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Considering the rumour it only uses Micro SD and that the slot is behind the device covered by the kickstand and nowhere else, I doubt it.

ozfunghi

Eh, what? I literally say right there that I don't expect Switch to use A73s. Not only that, but A73 cores are actually cheaper than A72s or A57s. Same with the 16FFC manufacturing process used, which are the only two things I talked about.
Why are they cheaper? And how much more efficient are they?

This i can agree with :)

ggx2ac

Why are they cheaper? And how much more efficient are they?

Because it's smaller per core.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10347/arm-cortex-a73-artemis-unveiled

A73 is a successor to A17 as it's not from the same designers. A73 is from the Sophia "Family" in France. A57/A72 is from Austin, Texas, A53 is from Cambridge.

And herein lies the biggest surprise of the Cortex A73 as a A72 successor: Instead of choosing to maintain A72’s 3-wide, or increase the microarchitecture’s decoder width, ARM opted to instead go back to a 2-wide decoder such as found on the current Sophia family. Yet the A73 positions itself a higher-performance and lower-power design compared to the larger A72.

1_575px.PNG

ozfunghi

Thanks. Interesting.

So is this, i just came across. I wonder... it says this soc is on a 28nm process, they claim 5+ hours of gaming, they have no air vents (meaning no active cooling), 512 SPU's. and they claim around 850 GF judging from the chart. A 6" FHD screen to boot. They also have the removable/switchable D-pad Nintendo patented.

I don't think this is anything to worry about, but it is interesting, given the similar form factor, the much larger process node, lack of active cooling, better claimed battery life, and likely more GF in portable (!) mode etc... They also claim it's upgradable.

Price for the 4GB RAM version with 64GB flash: 299$
Price for the 8GB RAM version with 128GB flash: 499$
Kickstarter price starting at 249$

Thanks. Interesting.

So is this, i just came across. I wonder... it says this soc is on a 28nm process, they claim 5+ hours of gaming, they have no air vents (meaning no active cooling), 512 SPU's. and they claim around 850 GF judging from the chart. A 6" FHD screen to boot. They also have the removable/switchable D-pad Nintendo patented.

I don't think this is anything to worry about, but it is interesting, given the similar form factor, the much larger process node, lack of active cooling, better claimed battery life, and likely more GF in portable (!) mode etc...

Kickstarter...

ozfunghi

Kickstarter...

Yes. What's your point? I'm not claiming this will ever see the light of day. I'm also not saying if it does, it's anything to worry about for Nintendo. I just thought it was interesting what these guys want to be doing techwise and the price they're asking. Furthermore, i think it's interesting that they are asking 200$ extra for 4GB RAM and 64GB flash extra.

Doctre81

Not all A57's created equal? The snap dragon version seems to get really close in performance to the A72. In this benchmark anyway. I am also reading that there may have been overheating problems.

79519.png

Yes. What's your point? I'm not claiming this will ever see the light of day. I'm also not saying if it does, it's anything to worry about for Nintendo. I just thought it was interesting what these guys want to be doing techwise and the price they're asking. Furthermore, i think it's interesting that they are asking 200$ extra for 4GB RAM and 64GB flash extra.

It is, but electronics hardware kickstarters are famous for delivering late, under-specificated or more expensive than promised.

Schnozberry

Not all A57's created equal? The snap dragon version seems to get really close in performance to the A72. In this benchmark anyway. I am also reading that there may have been overheating problems.

79519.png

Snapdragon 810 was on 20nm. It was a problematic node for everyone.

Schnozberry

Seems to be a scam cash grab. No actual prototypes, lots of unanswered questions, took months of of Kickstarter and reappeared, etc.

https://m.reddit.com/r/shittykickst..._z_aka_steamboy_is_back_on_kickstarter_after/

Thanks. Interesting.

So is [URL="[/URL], i just came across. I wonder... it says this soc is on a 28nm process, they claim 5+ hours of gaming, they have no air vents (meaning no active cooling), 512 SPU's. and they claim around 850 GF judging from the chart. A 6" FHD screen to boot. They also have the removable/switchable D-pad Nintendo patented.

I don't think this is anything to worry about, but it is interesting, given the similar form factor, the much larger process node, lack of active cooling, better claimed battery life, and likely more GF in portable (!) mode etc... They also claim it's upgradable.

That same page has a picture diagram that states that the Wii U is right under 500 GFLOPs... WTF lol

Considering the rumour it only uses Micro SD and that the slot is behind the device covered by the kickstand and nowhere else, I doubt it.

But it wouldn't matter if you used an adapter to put extra Micro SDs into game card slot?

Like SD card adapter where you put a Micro SD so your card reader in your laptop can read it.

Game cards in Switch look like their size could hold even two microSD cards. Technically it should be possible, I think.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Thanks. Interesting.

The quoted 12-15W TDP and 5h battery means the battery capacity must be 60-75Wh - that's serious laptop territory. For comparison, the iPad Pro houses a 38.8Wh battery, and the largest CE battery I have at home is ~8Ah @ 3.77V = 30Wh (in a 10" tablet). Those 60-75Wh in a HH is bridge-sale territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom