• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Dev Kit Stats Leaked? Cortex A57, 4GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Multi-Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I think it's more likely that the final hardware is TX1 or something near identical.

According to a eurogamer piece on the development of the WiiU, dev kit hardware was similar to final hardware throughout the development process. I think Nintendo fans should brace themselves for the likely scenario of a portable TX1, which given historical precedent is actually a laudable accomplishment for Nintendo.

The Pascal Tegra wouldn't have even existed until recently anyway, thoughh. There's the chance that Nintendo simply uses what's avaliabnle at the time of development and ignores anyuthing newer, but given just how similar Maxwell and Pascal are as well as the fact that 20nm is a disproportionally expensive process due to not being very good and either dropped quickly or skipped completely by nearly everyone, using a custom X1 doesn't seem likely. Also, I think the cost of adding a fan and heatsink is higher than the additional cost of using 16nm.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
So maybe they were just focused on showing Switch as a traditional games console in this video so they don't scare away hardcore gamers?

I think it was this along with wanting to present a clear and simple message at the start. We'll learn about all the nuances of the device over the coming weeks.

Pachinko

These specs were probably accurate before they finished the custom built Nintendo version of the shield (which is pretty much what the Switch is calling a spade a spade here).

Imagine shopping this thing to developers all over and saying "yeah you can just pick up an Nvidia Shield devkit , what we'll have will be better and faster but as Nvidia is helping us with software and hardware it'll be a good enough start". Plus a Shield is already faster than a wii U so even porting wii U stuff onto one would be a step up.

So far virtually every rumor about the NX has been proven correct so I see little reason to doubt that the finished devkit/console has a pascal based chip inside and perhaps the tegra X2 CPU.

What will all of this mean for games ? Who knows for sure but it looks like it'll be as close to the PS4/XB1 as the Wii U was to the 360/ps3.

balohna

Having a hard cap on FPS per resolution seems off. Wouldn't it theoretically be possible to have a game run at any frame rate depending on how simple/complex it is?

seph1roth

Price is something that annoys me.

Let's see the Nvidia Android TV similar specs but without screen, and a good controller (Switch cointrollers seems to be shittier in comparison)...200$.

With similar especs, and a 6'' touch screen, would be insane thinking of 250€ start price for Switch?

NeOak

Having a hard cap on FPS per resolution seems off. Wouldn't it theoretically be possible to have a game run at any frame rate depending on how simple/complex it is?

Input latency, animations, physics, lots of things.

It is a embedded system, so it wouldn't be off to have a hard cap on FPS.

Is it for sure more powerful than the Wii U or is it another Wii mystery bullshit where people claimed it was more powerful than a gamecube but really it was just a gamecube?

Rodin

For a Nintendo system? Very real.

At least, nothing in the specs in the OP screams fake to me like so many other "leaks" do.

It even has the whole "let's give a FLOP number but use FP16 rather than the customary FP32 to make it look better" thing going on.

Are we talking about the same Nintendo that puts power consumption and size before raw power? They're going to prioritize an older, bigger, less efficient core just because it's older, and they're going to do that in a machine with a mobile component?

Yes. It is possible for games to at any frame rate, depending only on the speed of the components of the system they are run on.

However, there will be a distinct refresh-rate to the screen (unless they're utilising g-sync or the other Nvidia Tech that I can't remember the name of) which will likely be 60hz, so you probably won't see the games exceed 60fps.

It's also the case that some developers choose to develop their games in such a way that the game's update cycle is tied directly to the clock speed of the device (very common in older generations) which means that when you play them on faster hardware, the game becomes crazy fast and unplayable. This is now becoming less common, and if the switch does underclock when in portable mode, I don't think any of the developers would choose this approach.

jobrro

32GB would not surprise me and I think it's adequate as many high end phones lowest tier is 32GB. Also the Wii U shipped with 8GB on the basic model. Provided there is SD support on the portable unit of course.

Really hope the dock allows an external HDD too like the Wii U. If modern games (read: large) are going on the system let me upgrade the storage to an arbitrary amount. 32, 64 or 200GB are all going to irritate me provided I need to 'clean the fridge'. Let me install a 200GB or whatever SD in and a 1 or 2TB external HDD to the dock and somewhere in the menu allow me to move games to and from the HDD to the portable unit. The Wii U is pretty good at stuff like this, easy to move or copy things to or from the HDD and internal storage.

Green Yoshi

uL55Bvu.gif

I hope these are false because this is a joke.

You expect 8 GB RAM? Seriously?

4 GB in the Dev Kit, 2 GB in the consumer version.

Izuna

Banned
This is a specs thread man.

Yeah I know, I was being facetious.

I want to know its ports, more than anything. If this baby can't shoot out HDR, that's going to be disappointing. So far it looks like HDMI 1.4 ~ that'll mean hooking it up for stuff like Netflix wouldn't be ideal. If that's the case, why even bother talking about 4k30fps compatibility?

NeOak

You expect 8 GB RAM? Seriously?

4 GB in the Dev Kit, 2 GB in the consumer version.

uL55Bvu.gif

Or maybe it is 4GB because it the Tegra X1 SoC for the early dev kits (which were very likely Jetson TX1 boards) has the RAM in the same package as the CPU, so it's not like they had other versions available.

And stop that stupid non-sense about extra RAM these days. PS4, XBO and even Wii U dev kits do not have extra RAM. The part that is reserved for the OS is used for debugging tools too.

Da-Kid

That sounds like a great way to make the console cost next to nothing and games a good buck if they're adding writeable storage for patches.
How would it make the game cost more. Let's assume the cartridges are 40-50GB. And most of that store isn't used the same way PS3 and XBox didn't use all 25 gig's of the disc storage for the game itself, the games was still only $60. Why would it be any different here? It would be really smart if Nintendo did utilize the extra storage for patches. In fact, that could effectively eliminate games bricking a console since the actual game will be patched not the system and game. The only thing I see actually being copied to the console is DLC and that's for resale purposes. But he'll, if not, that sure could make trad-in value a helluva lot more and make accessing your saved data better than using a cloud.

the early rumors of sub xbone performance are looking to be true. thats just terrible in 2017. its also quite far below xbone one if these specs are remotely accurate

Another thread based on a random guys twitter post? Why are people allowed to do this on gaf? It only encourages more people to twitter more stuff like this.

viHuGi

Banned
Lmao at comments, nothing will come close to Switch graphics in the portable market for quite sometime, show me somethng like Zelda on a iPhone please.

rockyt

not surprising but 512 gflops in 2017 is kind of disgusting. paying any more than maaaaaybe 99 usd for something like this is asinine
You seriously need to check out your info more before spouting this. The speck is seriously a beast for a handheld and no 99 would be a drastic lost of profit for both party involve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom