• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Dev Kit Stats Leaked? Cortex A57, 4GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Multi-Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

So..... It's true that the Switch should be able to handle Breath of the Wild better than Wii U, right?....... Right?

An unmodified Tegra X1, assuming the game was properly thought out for it, could no doubt run it better than the Wii U.

There's very little worry of it falling below the Wii U baseline. The question is how many of them duct taped together.

Hehe, little does unsuspecting GAF know that nvidia actually created supercharged API for the Switch, allowing for seamless 4k 60 FPS gaming.....in handheld mode!

I get a strong suspicion we'd see a lot of Mantle and Vulkan code in the NVN source code, with of course Nvidia specific optimizations. No need to start from scratch, it's probably a lot like Gsync and Fast Sync, far more than just rebrands, but also not entirely new.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hehe, little does unsuspecting GAF know that nvidia actually created supercharged API for the Switch, allowing for seamless 4k 60 FPS gaming.....in handheld mode!

I really don't understand these kind of posts so far into a thread like this.

I really don't understand these kind of posts so far into a thread like this.

It seems clear to me that he's joking, though that won't stop people from coming in to say "why is everyone expecting the Switch to be a PS4Pro killer?? Didn't you people learn from the WUST??"

ggx2ac

Some people seems really confused with technical data.

Switch has much more power than Wii U, even if Switch "only" had the specs mentioned in the first post.

It's becoming obvious that some people don't believe that there is mobile tech better than a Wii U.

Which also explains some of those posters that think that the Switch is only going to be as powerful as a Wii U, no higher than that.

Interfectum

It's becoming obvious that some people don't believe that there is mobile tech better than a Wii U.

Which also explains some of those posters that think that the Switch is only going to be as powerful as a Wii U, no higher than that.

Yeah and it's their weird logic. "bu bu people over-exaggerated Wii U specs so naturally that's happening again! lol Nintendo fans!"

LordRaptor

Even though
shield-tablet-k1-mobile.png

This is a real device that you can buy from a shop and see with your very own eyes

Because if you want to set your "Just being realistic, set your expectations low nintendo fanboys" bar as low as possible, that's it.

FyreWulff

Well, people also think X86 is magic and new when it's technically older than PowerPC and ARM.

poor PPC could never figure out the heat issues...

LordOfChaos

Well, people also think X86 is magic and new when it's technically older than PowerPC and ARM.

poor PPC could never figure out the heat issues...

Well, PowerPC, x86, and ARM are ISAs, the PowerPC 750 is one specific core architecture, if that's what you're getting at. x86 is an older ISA, but Cortex A57 and Jaguar are newer cores than the PowerPC 750, though the latter is modified for multicore and larger caches than its original form.

Likewise the PowerPC ISA wasn't the reason for IBMs heat issues, it was back in the 970/G5 days when they had a boner for 'racehorse' designs akin to the Pentium 4 Heatburst.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Yeah and it's their weird logic. "bu bu people over-exaggerated Wii U specs so naturally that's happening again! lol Nintendo fans!"

Which they've done no matter how much expectations go down. People like Pdot won't be satisfied until we expect 3DS graphics in 720p.

FyreWulff

Well, PowerPC, x86, and ARM are ISAs, the PowerPC 750 is one specific core architecture, if that's what you're getting at. x86 is an older ISA, but Cortex A57 and Jaguar are newer cores than the PowerPC 750, though the latter is modified for multicore and larger caches than its original form.

Likewise the PowerPC ISA wasn't the reason for IBMs heat issues, it was back in the 970/G5 days when they had a boner for 'racehorse' designs akin to the Pentium 4 Heatburst.

Well that and what the layperson would think of as "X86 commands" are translated to RISC on processor behind the scenes now anyway.

bomblord1

Banned
If the SCD is being used to do say increased graphics processing akin to an external GPU. There is nothing in the design of the Switch that indicates it having an PCI-e port or NVlink equivalent to have an external GPU connected to the Switch.

I don't even see how a new dock would work when the Switch has only 1 USB-C port which has to connect to the TV via HDMI to USB-C cable to do video output.

Maybe you could explain how you could get it to work with a new dock.

I don't keep an open mind, I use critical thinking, scrutiny and scepticism when people make claims. The problem with keeping an "open mind" is that when people say to keep an open mind they mean, "agree with my viewpoint you biased person."

I have no problem with looking at other viewpoints, it's that it doesn't mean I can be gullible and agree with someone if they don't have a good argument for their position.

I already argued with other people a lot when it came to the NX speculation threads with people who didn't believe Eurogamer by claiming the NX would be a Polaris powered home console as powerful as PS4 or the fanatic that pointed at any meaningless statement as "proof" that the NX would be powered by DMP and be handheld only while there would also be an AMD console version.

Then there was also the people that needed to improve their interpretation of statements because they were claiming Iwata said the NX wouldn't be a hybrid by using an out of context statement.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-rog-xg-station-2-gpu-dock-usb-c,31983.html

ggx2ac

Yes, I saw that article when I was making my post. Which was why I said:

I don't even see how a new dock would work when the Switch has only 1 USB-C port which has to connect to the TV via HDMI to USB-C cable to do video output.

So again. How would you get the Switch to do video output to the TV using the dock and connect to an external GPU with one USB-C port?

So again. How would you get the Switch to do video output to the TV using the dock and connect to an external GPU with one USB-C port?

As I said above the SCD patent does explicitly mention wireless connections for supplemental GPU power. Again, don't expect this as it really doesn't seem feasible today but that could be one possibility in the future.

EDIT:
Yes, I know. I always pointed out the wireless stuff from the patent for the SCD.

The point was the person talking about the SCD thought it would work by having a new dock but it doesn't make sense with the current Switch design.

You could easily have a new dock which has its own GPU and this wireless functionality as long as the Switch tablet does too (which I assume it does). As long as the wireless tech works I don't really see why it can't be put into a new dock with a similar form factor.

Again, as a disclaimer since people aren't reading well in this thread (not you): I don't expect this will happen anytime soon

ggx2ac

As I said above the SCD patent does explicitly mention wireless connections for supplemental GPU power. Again, don't expect this as it really doesn't seem feasible today but that could be one possibility in the future.

Yes, I know. I always pointed out the wireless stuff from the patent for the SCD.

The point was the person talking about the SCD thought it would work by having a new dock but it doesn't make sense with the current Switch design.

Assuming the theory of performance somehow being improved or changed when docked is true...

How are we thinking the system will know if it is docked or not ? Will the system have a trigger that knows the portable is outputting to HDMI therefore it increases performance and cooling? What happens when the system is not docked but charging through USB C (rumored connection type) on the go?

In the NX promotional video you see the user at the airport charging while playing.Will the system increase performance on the go while it is plugged to the wall as well (I would think that it would not)?

Just curious.

LordOfChaos

Assuming the theory of performance somehow being improved or changed when docked is true...

How are we thinking the system will know if it is docked or not ? Will the system have a trigger that knows the portable is outputting to HDMI there for it increases performance and cooling? What happens when the system is not docked but charging through USB C on the go?

In the NX promotional video you see the user at the airport charging while playing.Will the system increase performance on the go while it is plugged to the wall as well (I would think that it would not)?

Just curious.

Fair question. Maybe since it's still only outputting to the 720p screen, it doesn't activate the added performance. Also out of consideration for it being held in human hands, most mobile devices have a temperature setting for maximum allowable surface temperature for holding.

We'll see though. If it clocks up while still outputting to a lower resolution screen that could compound the benefits if a title has a faltering framerate.

Thraktor

A single USB type C connection would be plenty capable of handling power delivery, a video signal and a Thunderbolt 3 interface, which is just a multiplexed version of PCIe. The available data rate would depend on the bandwidth used by the video signal, but even 4K/60fps would leave about 20Gb/s (half duplex), which is as much bandwidth as Thunderbolt 2 eGPUs have to work with.

You could get by with a lot less, and there are some potentially pretty interesting things you could do even over a local wireless interface. That said, I don't see them actually going ahead with a "performance boost" implementation of the SCD patent, not because it would be a particular technical challenge, but just because I don't see a business case for it. Hardware upgrades in the console industry have had a pretty abysmal adoption rate in the past, and I don't see any reason to expect that to change.

Fair question. Maybe since it's still only outputting to the 720p screen, it doesn't activate the added performance. Also out of consideration for it being held in human hands, most mobile devices have a temperature setting for maximum allowable surface temperature for holding.

We'll see though. If it clocks up while still outputting to a lower resolution screen that could compound the benefits if a title has a faltering framerate.

Wondering if the dock has the cooling inside of it and blows thru the portable portion.. OR if the portable has a fan inside of it that is only activated while docked (since on the go it would eat through battery).

If it was the latter I would assume while plugged in on the go it could in theory increase performance. Laptops have power profiles while plugged or not plugged in to adjust profiles for max battery life or performance (Shield devices do this as well).

Not sure how that would affect development on the PC it does it dynamically so performance improves based on being plugged in or not.

bomblord1

Banned

The external gpu would take over video output.

Jackano

How are we thinking the system will know if it is docked or not ? Will the system have a trigger that knows the portable is outputting to HDMI therefore it increases performance and cooling? What happens when the system is not docked but charging through USB C (rumored connection type) on the go?

Just curious.

The rumors are telling the dock isn't providing any more power but charging and HDMI output.

USB-C is a pretty smart standard from what I've read, so I think Switch will be able to know if you're on the actual dock, or just charging by USB-C. It's a safe bet, the fact the dock handle HDMI output can provide an alternate solution anyway (if not USB-C, the dock can have the necessary chip on board).

Secondly, IMO the docked/charging mode will just be here to remove underclocking and other battery saving features on the go.

*Switching* to 1080p and outputing to HDMI should be considered as an independent feature, even if it isn't technically possible to output thought HDMI without charging.

False edit: Actually the Switch HAVE TO know if the dock is a real dock or just an USB-C cable for charging. There's so much things who can't work properly otherwise.
Ex: Dock the console, you can't use the screen anymore so it has to switch to HDMI output nevertheless. If you're pluging a simple USB-C cable, this can't work, unless no matter what, the screen is still outputing your game. What happens to resolution then? Downscaling?
I leave it to you here; Too long already anyway :(

Ya I figured there is something in the dock that tells the system it's outputting to HDMI and needs to change the power profile accordingly.

The question is if multiple power targets will affect development? On the PC since it isnt a closed platform plugging in a gaming laptop or not doesnt really affect anything other than performance. Developers generally dont have a frame rate target for PC it is normally driven by whatever hardware and graphics settings you got tweaked.

For someone like Nintendo wouldnt having 3 power profiles cause a lot of issues with dev time? They generally target a specific frame rate and like to have it locked with no dips.

Docked , On the GO, On the Go plugged in? If they are increasing or decreasing performance based on situation wouldn't this cause an issue in hitting a target (1080 docked, 720 not docked, 30 / 60 fps)?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm thinking that the GeForce 930M-940M could be decent approximations of the level of performance for the Switch's GPU when docked, if there's indeed a performance boost when inserted to a dock.

BD1

Banned
I'm thinking that the GeForce 930M-940M could be decent approximations of the level of performance for the Switch when docked, if there's indeed a performance boost when inserted to a dock.

I just don't think the dock is going to provide the performance boost. Assuming Nintendo is shooting for a Wii-like mass market price, I don't think there is much they can do to appreciably raise the performance and keep the price in that target.

I fully expect SCD down the road though. Viva La Expansion Pak!

Vena

I just don't think the dock is going to provide the performance boost. Assuming Nintendo is shooting for a Wii-like mass market price, I don't think there is much they can do to appreciably raise the performance and keep the price in that target.

The hypothetical boost has nothing to do with increasing cost in the cases many cite here.

Its all about powerdraw, and allowing the system to simply clock itself higher when not limited to battery draws and lifetimes. Your laptop doesn't cost more to you because it can be plugged into a wall and perform better, that's just a build in function of scalable internal hardware and the costs/benefits of battery vs. wall socket.

With 3DS, we saw the "new" 3DS that added Amiibo/extra input support as well as more computing power. Original 3DS models can get Amiibo/extra input support via additional accessories, but there was no way for Nintendo to make up computing power differences.

I've seen a ton of discussion about using SCD's somewhere around launch... Has anyone floated the idea that they might use this technology once a "new" Switch is out? They clearly have a system that will allow for interchangable accessories in a more elegant way than the dongles/Circle Pad Pro's of 3DS. What if SCD's are their answer for the differences in computing power?

As for the dock... I used to have a fairly beefy gaming laptop that would only allow me to use my GPU when plugged in. What if Switch gives you an option when docked? Something like... unlock more processing power while plugged in or just simply output 720p visuals with the ability to remove from the dock instantly? Choosing the former would require you to Switch modes or wait for the console to do it automatically when unplugged. This would seemingly give you the same set of options when simply plugged into the wall.

I think everyone is in agreement. The actual dock is not going to have any kind of hardware that makes the system run faster. I think people are confusing what everyone is saying.

When the portable is sitting on the dock and not running off battery power its performance will be better because it doesnt need to limit its power draw to the battery. When docked the actual portable unit will increase its performance (boosting clocks or whatever it may do).

The dock just lets the portable know when to boost its performance it isnt actually augmenting it.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

As it's been mentioned countless of times already, the dock probably won't have anything special within it.

Hermii

Ya I figured there is something in the dock that tells the system it's outputting to HDMI and needs to change the power profile accordingly.

The question is if multiple power targets will affect development? On the PC since it isnt a closed platform plugging in a gaming laptop or not doesnt really affect anything other than performance. Developers generally dont have a frame rate target for PC it is normally driven by whatever hardware and graphics settings you got tweaked.

For someone like Nintendo wouldnt having 3 power profiles cause a lot of issues with dev time? They generally target a specific frame rate and like to have it locked with no dips.

Docked , On the GO, On the Go plugged in? If they are increasing or decreasing performance based on situation wouldn't this cause an issue in hitting a target (1080 docked, 720 not docked, 30 / 60 fps)?
It would be 2 different power profiles and it would be the exact same hardware only running slightly faster when docked. That wouldn't require much extra at all, less than PS4 pro since that is actually a different gpu with new features.

LordOfChaos

Wondering if the dock has the cooling inside of it and blows thru the portable portion.. OR if the portable has a fan inside of it that is only activated while docked (since on the go it would eat through battery).

If it was the latter I would assume while plugged in on the go it could in theory increase performance. Laptops have power profiles while plugged or not plugged in to adjust profiles for max battery life or performance (Shield devices do this as well).

Not sure how that would affect development on the PC it does it dynamically so performance improves based on being plugged in or not.

One of the reliable insiders said fan in the tablet. I had thought maybe it was in the dock to blow air in the bottom vents and up out the top, but I believe them.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
If the SCD is being used to do say increased graphics processing akin to an external GPU. There is nothing in the design of the Switch that indicates it having an PCI-e port or NVlink equivalent to have an external GPU connected to the Switch.

Maybe you could explain how you could get it to work with a new dock.

I don't keep an open mind, I use critical thinking, scrutiny and scepticism when people make claims. The problem with keeping an "open mind" is that when people say to keep an open mind they mean, "agree with my viewpoint you biased person."

I have no problem with looking at other viewpoints, it's that it doesn't mean I can be gullible and agree with someone if they don't have a good argument for their position.

I already argued with other people a lot when it came to the NX speculation threads with people who didn't believe Eurogamer by claiming the NX would be a Polaris powered home console as powerful as PS4 or the fanatic that pointed at any meaningless statement as "proof" that the NX would be powered by DMP and be handheld only while there would also be an AMD console version.

Then there was also the people that needed to improve their interpretation of statements because they were claiming Iwata said the NX wouldn't be a hybrid by using an out of context statement.

I'm not making any claims, I'm just wondering what might be possible and asking questions. I was attempting to steer the thread back to the technical side before the people talking about the same old tired third party issues get what is a very interesting thread locked by going off topic.

Nintendo and Nvidia have shown in the past that they can come up with unique solutions to technical hurdles. I'm keeping an open mind, at least until the Jan event esp with Kimishima's comments -

"Is the Switch part of a bigger hardware plan?

The part we've shown this time is just a conceptual image of how the Switch is different from the Wii U and previous systems. Going forward, of course, in terms of what kind of accessories will come out, we want to show this in January and later. By no means was that everything."

I don't see Nintendo wanting their games running at native 720p on massive 4k HDTV's in 2017, it's not a good look for them at all. I understand they are no longer interested in a hardware arms race with Sony and MS but they will not want their games completely embarrassed when running side by side with the competition. Their franchises deserve better.

At minimum I expect the dock to provide enough of a boost in power to render the games at native 1080p while adding AA and maybe even AF.

I don't see Nintendo wanting their games running at native 720p on massive 4k HDTV's in 2017, it's not a good look for them at all. I understand they are no longer interested in a hardware arms race with Sony and MS but they will not want their games completely embarrassed when running side by side with the competition. Their franchises deserve better.

At minimum I expect the dock to provide enough of a boost in power to render the games at native 1080p while adding AA and maybe even AF.

Depending on the scaling I dont think it will be much of a problem to be honest. I mean by that logic xbox 1 would look shitty as well since they have games at several different resolutions? Also it drops and raises resolution to achieve certain performance.

One major piece of evidence for this is from the car scene in the reveal video. In the headrest mount there are holes that line up with the vents on the Switch tablet.

Those could be left unobstructed to allow for convection cooling, rather than active cooling with an actively powered fan.

I agree it's more likely that the fan is in the Switch and only run when docked or connected to a power supply, but we don't have solid information on that yet, which is why I'm curious to see where an insider stated that the fan is inside the tablet.

Schnozberry

Do you have a link to that? I must have missed this.

When you really think about it, putting the fan inside the dock would be really limiting. You'd have to dynamically throttle, potentially to very low clocks, in order to maintain safe temps. it wouldn't be a very good idea for games. They require consistent performance to maintain frame timing.

Clocks already go down during less intense moments to conserve energy, but you wouldn't want them to be thermally limited when you need the performance.

Hermii

I'm not making any claims, I'm just wondering what might be possible and asking questions. I was attempting to steer the thread back to the technical side before the people talking about the same old tired third party issues get what is a very interesting thread locked by going off topic.

Nintendo and Nvidia have shown in the past that they can come up with unique solutions to technical hurdles. I'm keeping an open mind, at least until the Jan event esp with Kimishima's comments -

"Is the Switch part of a bigger hardware plan?

The part we've shown this time is just a conceptual image of how the Switch is different from the Wii U and previous systems. Going forward, of course, in terms of what kind of accessories will come out, we want to show this in January and later. By no means was that everything."

What you need to realise is that portability is the big selling point here. Compare the Switch form factor to the Xbox one S or PS4 Pro, products using the lates tech to decrease their power consumption and size and they are still a lot bigger and more power hungry than what the switch will be. If they get the latest AAA games running decently on it, thats a small miracle even at 720p.

Those could be left unobstructed to allow for convection cooling, rather than active cooling with an actively powered fan.

I agree it's more likely that the fan is in the Switch and only run when docked or connected to a power supply, but we don't have solid information on that yet, which is why I'm curious to see where an insider stated that the fan is inside the tablet.

I believe it was Emily Rogers who stated that cooling is noisy but never prefaced it with docked or not docked.

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/rumor-what-should-we-expect-from-the-final-nx-product/

What is the problem with running active cooling if you have it? I wasn't expecting them to put a fan in it at all, but seeing as it's there, why couldn't it run at different speeds for different loads?

G.ZZZ

What is the problem with running active cooling if you have it? I wasn't expecting them to put a fan in it at all, but seeing as it's there, why couldn't it run at different speeds for different loads?

I just hope it doesn't run in mobile mode because that's something that's very prone to failure. Having it running only in docked mode would make it much less prone to it.

When you really think about it, putting the fan inside the dock would be really limiting. You'd have to dynamically throttle, potentially to very low clocks, in order to maintain safe temps. it wouldn't be a very good idea for games. They require consistent performance to maintain frame timing.

Clocks already go down during less intense moments to conserve energy, but you wouldn't want them to be thermally limited when you need the performance.

The simple solution would be to have a hard limit for GPU speed in portable mode, even if it's charging. If your max resolution is 720p in portable mode then that hard limit should be workable, and ideally leave you with a comfortable level of heat.

1) It would heavily drain the battery even further. Running the fan cools a hot processor but running the fan also creates heat from the power draw needed to run the fan. It opens up a huge can of worms in the battery department.

2) Running the fan when holding the tablet would be a very common cause of mechanical failure. You don't want any moving parts inside a small tablet-like device if you can avoid it, especially if the console included motion controls. Jerking the device too hard could cause a fan blade to become de-aligned which would cause mechanical failure of the fan.

If the fan is in the Switch tablet it should really only be able to be used when docked. And I think if they could avoid having it in the tablet all together that makes it even better- as it opens up a lot more internal space- but at this point I don't think that will happen just based on the designs of the tablet and dock.

NeOak

Oh god, what is happening in this thread?

What's with all the armchair engineers out of the blue spewing crap they obviously do not understand.

Why are people taking the specs at the OP like it is the final machine. It's a fucking off the shelf Jetson TX1 being used as a Devkit because there is nothing closer until the final version of the silicon.

And the dock having an extra chip? Wat. How many actual tablet PCs use that without Thunderbolt 3? Only the Surfacebook. NVLINK is NOT meant for low power.

The amount of facepalm-inducing ignorance in this thread is real. Stop believing fairytales that woulda make it a really expensive machine.

Vash63

Oh god, what is happening in this thread?

What's with all the armchair engineers out of the blue spewing crap they obviously do not understand.

Why are people taking the specs at the OP like it is the final machine. It's a fucking off the shelf Jetson TX1 being used as a Devkit because there is nothing closer until the final version of the silicon.

And the dock having an extra chip? Wat. How many actual tablet PCs use that without Thunderbolt 3? Only the Surfacebook. NVLINK is NOT meant for low power.

The amount of facepalm-inducing ignorance in this thread is real. Stop believing fairytales that woulda make it a really expensive machine.

Agree with all of this. I've been following the thread hoping for some confirmation of a Pascal chip but the rumors of it being an exact match for the X1's dev kit are stupid - it's clearly just what was convenient and software-compatible when they started game development.

I'd absolutely love to see a Pascal w/ Denver like the rumored X2 with higher clock rates when docked to handles higher resolution. Wouldn't expect more than that.

Pasedo

I guess I'm coming at this from a non technical view but someone who has followed these threads all the way back to the Wii U pre launch analysis. It just seems that brands are too reliant on the hardware. If anyone is going to break this cycle it would be Nintendo as they have the resources and the mentality. I guess the thought in my mind is that perhaps all the way back to when they merged their divisions in 2013 that they have been working on innovative more efficient coding that will make games run on less powerful hardware. Its like start with that first and then work with hardware architects to make the code run as intended on the hardware. This could be why everything they do is never just off the shelf but customised to suit this coding style. Ideally this coding technique also makes it super duper easy for 3rd party developers to Port their games across. So ideal scenario is they can get Ps4 level graphics on less powerful but customised hardware to suit their innovative programming technique. They get themselves out of the cycle of this silly incremental hardware updates PS and Xbox are getting into and they have created a competitive advantage IP that is difficult for competitors to immitate. They are doing what Nintendo has always done and approaching the industry differently and at all angles. Provide awesome gaming experiences to customers. Make it cost effective to developers to help them out and try to lower manufacturing costs to make it affordable for all consumers. Not sure if there is any technical evidence of truth in this scenario. I think regardless Nintendo will suprise us again.

Schnozberry

The simple solution would be to have a hard limit for GPU speed in portable mode, even if it's charging. If your max resolution is 720p in portable mode then that hard limit should be workable, and ideally leave you with a comfortable level of heat.

Even if you put a lower ceiling on the GPU clock speed, you's still reach a point of being thermally limited without a fan, especially since a significant down clock the CPU portion of the SOC could cause even more adverse affects than resolution and effects downgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom