• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

We're so close. So very, very close.

Say GAF! Are you guys saving for the Switch and some games in advance?

I've been saving since October in a piggybank (Wish it was Ganon-themed!) which I'll smash open at the time of release. Whatever I have accumulated up to that point will be my budget for the whole year. I'm excited!

Oregano

We're so close. So very, very close.

Say GAF! Are you guys saving for the Switch and some games in advance?

I've been saving since October in a piggybank (Wish it was Ganon-themed!) which I'll smash open at the time of release. Whatever I have accumulated up to that point will be my budget for the whole year. I'm excited!

The interest from my savings is going to pay for my Switch + a few games. It's effectively free for me. =D

i love both luigi's mansion, but i think dark moon is a little better than the first. I much prefer the way the mechanics work, they introduced the polterpup which should be in every mario spin off, the multiple mansions were very cool, and the mission structure, while divisive, worked well for the way the game was made. I think that they are a very capable team that could make a new Luigi's mansion with more bosses and more ghosts and maybe a more open structure with better hardware.

I am always quite shocked how people who love the first can absolutely hate the second.

Nudull

Banned
I personally wouldn't rule out an Overwatch port somewhere down the line. It's a monster hit right now, and getting Nintendo audiences in on it is a no-brainer. We're more likely to see something like Hearthstone before it, though.

Net

I personally wouldn't rule out an Overwatch port somewhere down the line. It's a monster hit right now, and getting Nintendo audiences in on it is a no-brainer. We're more likely to see something like Hearthstone before it, though.

It's always online, an awkward fit for a handheld.

For sure, but you have to consider that NS was supposed to launch this Holiday so some late ports from this Holiday will likely appear like Watch Dogs 2 or COD. Nintendo's fault on those games.

Also am I the only one sick of everyone saying Splatoon is an enhanced port? All you have to do is look at the footage which literally has zero old content in it to see its a sequel. Its really annoying.

Also yeah: I totally expect Zelda at launch since it was at TGA and late night but as long as Mario Switch or Splatoon 2 is at launch I'll be fine. After Pokemon Stars rumor came out I'll just wait for bews since Stars sound the least likely of anything considering GF moved away from third versions and a S/M sequel is set up in S/M.

I didn't think about this but you're right. The Switch had to at some point been aimed at holiday 2016. I full expect Batman to be there. But can you imagine if there is amiibo support and you can play as Wario or something?! I would buy the game for that novelty, seeing as I have that amiibo. I mean Nintendo needs to do something a lil different in 2017 to make people excited about those again. I'd love to find out my old ones suddenly unlock something like this. Thoughts?

oti

Banned
I know many disagree and I respect that but I wish Nintendo would emulate Blizzard and Overwatch when it comes to Splatoon. There's so much potential there and with a tiiiiny bit of walking out of the comfort zone it could be spectacular and a game that could transcend Nintendo's own little cosmos. Like, good spectator tools. Just that one thing would do so much to spread Splatoon on Twitch and YouTube Gaming. A Gif creator could spread it on reddit and imgur and so on. That's not what Nintendo typically does and I'm sure for them the engagement level on Miiverse is more important but come on. I know the world out there can be scary but there's so much potential there.

Oersted

It's always online, an awkward fit for a handheld.

Switch is neither a handheld nor are always online games a awkward fit for handheld consoles.

I know many disagree and I respect that but I wish Nintendo would emulate Blizzard and Overwatch when it comes to Splatoon. There's so much potential there and with a tiiiiny bit of walking out of the comfort zone it could be spectacular and a game that could transcend Nintendo's own little cosmos. Like, good spectator tools. Just that one thing would do so much to spread Splatoon on Twitch and YouTube Gaming. A Gif creator could spread it on reddit and imgur and so on. That's not what Nintendo typically does and I'm sure for them the engagement level on Miiverse is more important but come on. I know the world out there can be scary but there's so much potential there.

You gonna get loot crates and you gonna like it.

Actually it wouldn't. Resources are limited. The amount of Switches Nintendo can produce and ship is limited.

If you're Nintendo, would you rather sell Wii numbers in your first year or Wii U numbers? Would you rather sell every unit you can make or have stock on the shelves?

This isn't the time for holding back.

Regiruler

Luigi's Mansion 2 was great. I'd love to see NLG make another one.
Dark Moon is a massively mediocre slog with poor bosses. Federation Force was an improvement in every way, because NLG's talent is not with slow paced games.

Hell, Luigi's Mansion Arcade is better than Dark Moon.

Barryman

Lol you were expecting an open world AAA third party game on a simple Switch?

If Nintendo wants to sell the Switch using third party support, they need to get the marquee third party releases for at least the first couple years of the Switch's lifespan.

Neoxon

If Nintendo wants to sell the Switch using third party support, they need to get the marquee third party releases for at least the first couple years of the Switch's lifespan.
Hard to do that when most western third party publishers have their doubts about Nintendo & their audience after the last 10 or so years.

Barryman

Hard to do that when most western third party publishers have their doubts about Nintendo & their audience after the last 10 or so years.

There are some signs that things are different this time. Like you said, it's only been 10 years since they had all the major 3rd party releases - not actually that long compared to how long Nintendo's been in the video game space. I'm not holding my breath but let's wait and see...

MCN

Banned
Why? It's a console just like ms and sony has and should be open to 3rd-party.

It's not getting the hottest 3rd-party games even before the console is available. THAT could be a problem.

Nintendo could literally make a PS4 Pro Plus, and it still wouldn't get those games. For reasons.

oti

Banned
You gonna get loot crates and you gonna like it.
I would, actually. I love them in Overwatch. I try to unlock one whenever I play. I'd never pay for them but I enjoy them for the motivation they bring.

If you're Nintendo, would you rather sell Wii numbers in your first year or Wii U numbers? Would you rather sell every unit you can make or have stock on the shelves?

This isn't the time for holding back.
Dude, what exactly is your point? Selling a lot of units is better than not selling a lot of units? Well, duh?

We both agree that (most) Nintendo fans will get the Switch on launch, even if only one (either Zelda or Mario) big game releases with it right? Right.

So who's left then? The casual players Nintendo lost with the Wii U. When will they consider buying a Switch?

- on launch, not because they browse GAF but because of all the launch buzz
- whenever they see an ad
- holidays

There will be opportunities for them to buy a Switch, but launch is for people who wait in line at Best Buy to get it at midnight. For people who post in this very thread. The future of the Switch won't be determined by whether Mario and Zelda will be out on launch or not. The first year is crucial, I agree, that's why we'll see Nintendo freshest IP Splatoon in years, their biggest brand and mascot Mario, fan favourite and beloved Zelda, evergreen title Mario Kart, one of the most popular video games of the last decade Skyrim and more on that thing. In year one. That is insane. They know they have to sell units.

I know what you're trying to say and it's not wrong but it's inefficient. Zelda on launch, Mario for the holidays and a bunch of stuff inbetween is totally fine, as long as people are actually interested in buying the Switch in the first place.

NSESN

I feel like we are walking in circles talking about 3rd parties. It was only one of the vast problems Wii U had.
Marketing is something that i think is as important, if not more important, than 3rd parties. I think nintendo started well with the reveal video but i am still afraid that Nintendo hasn't lerned much from Wii U.
What do you guys think Nintendo need to do? What mistakes do you think Nintendo is gong to repeat?

Oersted

Anyone else think that Detective Pickachu is coming to Switch instead of 3ds for the western release?

I expect a more movie like port for Switch, to cash in on the cinematic release. Something like Pokemon Yellow.

Just this time with cutscenes and the actors of the movie as voiceactors.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Is simple the new argument?

Last time I heard it was more powerful than most would think.
The argument that the Switch won't receive games simply because it's a handheld is starting to get old. I guess it's because they've typically always gotten spinoffs versions of the main games produced for home consoles. The Switch won't be your typical handheld, we can even argue if it truly belong in that class of gaming hardware. All bets are off regarding which PC & consoles games might appear on the Switch since unlike the last two generations of Nintendo systems, this new platform should fit very well into the development process of many third-parties publishers.

Neoxon

I expect a more movie like port for Switch, to cash in on the cinematic release. Something like Pokemon Yellow.

Just this time with cutscenes and the actors of the movie as voiceactors.
That's what I'm expecting. It would also explain why Episode 2 was never released, they may be waiting for the movie cast to be decided & the contracts to be signed before moving forward with future episodes of Detective Pikachu.

oti

Banned
That's what I'm expecting. It would also explain why Episode 2 was never released, they may be waiting for the movie cast to be decided & the contracts to be signed before moving forward with future episodes of Detective Pikachu.

Everytime I see that name I have to pinch myself.

Nudull

Banned

Oh, it was an episodic game?

Part of me is expecting the US to get the 3DS version as a "last hurrah" for that system, but if the release scheduling is getting that complicated, I could see Nintendo scrapping it entirely for an updated Switch port.

New tweets from Laura:

"Certain North American video game print magazines already have their next issue finished, with early lead time Switch info ready for event."

"Expect more solid info to leak very soon due to the info now having reached NA VG print media"

NateDrake

New tweets from Laura:

"Certain North American video game print magazines already have their next issue finished, with early lead time Switch info ready for event."

"Expect more solid info to leak very soon due to the info now having reached NA VG print media"

If it's GameInformer then info will leak probably by the middle of the coming week.

Edit: Looks like she deleted the tweets.

I would, actually. I love them in Overwatch. I try to unlock one whenever I play. I'd never pay for them but I enjoy them for the motivation they bring.

Dude, what exactly is your point? Selling a lot of units is better than not selling a lot of units? Well, duh?

We both agree that (most) Nintendo fans will get the Switch on launch, even if only one (either Zelda or Mario) big game releases with it right? Right.

So who's left then? The casual players Nintendo lost with the Wii U. When will they consider buying a Switch?

- on launch, not because they browse GAF but because of all the launch buzz
- whenever they see an ad
- holidays

There will be opportunities for them to buy a Switch, but launch is for people who wait in line at Best Buy to get it at midnight. For people who post in this very thread. The future of the Switch won't be determined by whether Mario and Zelda will be out on launch or not. The first year is crucial, I agree, that's why we'll see Nintendo freshest IP Splatoon in years, their biggest brand and mascot Mario, fan favourite and beloved Zelda, evergreen title Mario Kart, one of the most popular video games of the last decade Skyrim and more on that thing. In year one. That is insane. They know they have to sell units.

I know what you're trying to say and it's not wrong but it's inefficient. Zelda on launch, Mario for the holidays and a bunch of stuff inbetween is totally fine, as long as people are actually interested in buying the Switch in the first place.

My point is that this isn't the time to be cute and hold back.

I don't agree with the bolded at all. There are large parts of the Mario and Zelda fan venn diagram that don't overlap. The way that you get the larger, more casual audience to pay attention to the Switch is with a flashy launch. Nothing draws a crowd like a crowd. If both games are ready at launch, they both need to be out.

The Switch is Nintendo's big chance at a momentum shift. They moved all of their resources over and basically abandoned the Wii U, the hit that they took there will be worth it if they can shock and awe at launch.

From there they will have a strong base that they can use to sell Mario Kart and Pokemon to.

asagami_

Banned
The argument that the Switch won't receive games simply because it's a handheld is starting to get old. I guess it's because they've typically always gotten spinoffs versions of the main games produced for home consoles. The Switch won't be your typical handheld, we can even argue if it truly belong in that class of gaming hardware. All bets are off regarding which PC & consoles games might appear on the Switch since unlike the last two generations of Nintendo systems, this new platform should fit very well into the development process of many third-parties publishers.

Yep, tools are more important than raw power. I mean, I don't except Switch potential ports look SOOO GOOD, but, if they can look something "ugly" and runs as expected (30 or more FPS) then I will be fine. It's a handheld and if that kind of scability happen will be impressive.

J@hranimo

Banned
New tweets from Laura:

Damn, magazines

as in plural. More than one.

Next week should be good (or bad, for some people?)

Kevin

I own a 4K tv, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S and gaming computer and I still honestly think that the Switch's graphics will be more or less fine. At least when in portable form. I would love to see a 4K Nintendo system with really great graphics but it simply isn't going to happen.

I do think that a game like Zelda will look great on the Switch. Really both in portable and docked form. Maybe not quite on the level of something like Herizon Zero Dawn but enough to satisfy me I think. I will admit that in Zelda, some of the draw distance and textures could certainly look better but it still looks like a strong title for the Switch.

Wii U had a neat concept but really missed the mark in a lot of areas such as design and not actually being a full portable. Switch looks like what the Wii U should have been (if tech was there a few years back). I didn't care much for the Wii and the Wii U and this is coming from a huge Nintendo fan but the Switch I think looks fantastic so far.

I also believe that the primary reason to get a Switch or Nintendo console in general is for the Nintendo based IP and not third party titles. It's likely that third party support will continue to be poor in comparison to the competition. The big draw for the Switch should be Nintendo's own games (dat Nintendo magic), their massive backlog of titles and the ability to take this system on the go. For those wanting good third party titles should likely consider a PS4 or something to go along with their Switch.

P.S: Zelda is going to consume me!

New tweets from Laura:

Omg news is coming!

openrob

The funny thing is, it matters less which first party games are available, but which third party titles are there for launch and the following months.

That will really set the scene for the popularity of the Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom