• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

javadoze

dg8knfG.gif

Hopefully Nintendo is going to have a good year this year.

tumblr_mz8imzTm9l1shb4cyo1_400.gif

We got Splatoon, 3D Mario, and Zelda possibly making it for launch alongside other unannounced 1st and 3rd party stuff. Please stop Nintendo, my wallet can only take so much...

So stupid question, but can we assume the Switch will support Netflix and Hulu?

The Wii U is our main media hub (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube) and I plan on doing the same with the Switch.

Mario and Zelda demo at launch (availability limited to like a week after launch or something dumb with the full game coming out in June) are what I'm betting on.

why does everyone think Mario is at launch? seems wild to me to have a Mario at launch while Zelda is somehow pushed back. nah, don't believe it a second.

Honestly, they need something equally big to go alongside Zelda. Zelda: BotW isn't going to showcase the graphical strengths of Switch, so they need 3D Mario or something to emphasize the power Switch has over that of Wii U.

Yup. Maybe it won't be 3D Mario but there absolutely will be at least one more big game from Nintendo at launch (that isn't a Wii U port like Splatoon). I'll be quite surprised if this isn't the case. Zelda and Splatoon, both Wii U ports, aren't going to be Nintendo's only day one titles for this system.

NateDrake

Yup. Maybe it won't be 3D Mario but there absolutely will be at least one more big game from Nintendo at launch (that isn't a Wii U port like Splatoon). I'll be quite surprised if this isn't the case.

Exactly. Splatoon and Mario Kart are great games and all, but you can't have a launch window with 3 Wii U ports. You need a major title built exclusively for Switch at launch.

Yes, Wii had Twilight Princess but it also had Excite Trucks and Wii Sports to sell people on the new concept. Zelda: BotW is a solid launch title - no question about that, but they will need another major title to launch alongside it.

Exactly. Splatoon and Mario Kart are great games and all, but you can't have a launch window with 3 Wii U ports. You need a major title built exclusively for Switch at launch.

Yes, Wii had Twilight Princess but it also had Excite Trucks and Wii Sports to sell people on the new concept. Zelda: BotW is a solid launch title - no question about that, but they will need another major title to launch alongside it.

What about the Mario Rabbids RPG?

18-Volt

*heavy breathing*

The wait for January 12th is going to be rough.

What are the odds of that Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 Collection coming to Switch?

I'd say.. 12%?

Final Fantasy XII HD has more chance though. Square even could have a little gift for us: Including an HD remake of Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings!

ckaneo

Mario and Zelda launching together is fine. Nintendo games have good word of mouth,long legs, and the prices never drop

I dont see the problem

Yes.
Oh wait, one of their teams is developing it so maybe Nintendo could be publishing but I doubt it.

I mean, Ubi is obviously developing the game, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo handles publishing duties, since it's full of Mario characters. But yeah, it'll probably end up being Ubisoft-published regardless.

Mario and Zelda launching together is fine. Nintendo games have good word of mouth,long legs, and the prices never drop

I dont see the problem

Apparently, according to some here, sales will be cannibalized if this happens. I get where they're coming from, but Zelda and Mario games don't work like this. They have legs for years if the quality is high.

Nintendo isn't only publishing Wii U ports at launch. If Mario and Zelda are both ready to go in March, I won't be surprised at all to see both launch on day one. Or maybe they have another original Switch game ready for launch, which would be great and Mario (or Zelda) can be saved for late spring or summer.

Oops double post, sorry!

really don't think so.
i'm sure they have a nintendoland/wii sports/wii play gimmick title and Splatoon should have enough new content to be considered a sequel, i can see them slap a 2 on there.

pretty sure they bank on Zelda carrying this and yeah, Rabbids exists too.

That is a wildcard. Could be a nice companion game for launch.
-BotW
-Splatoon
-Mario RPG

I mean I guess they could have one more game, but 3D Mario and Mario RPG seems like too much. Maybe they'll have one more smaller title or another third party exclusive.

Actually they should have a Wii Sports/Nintendo Land type of game unless Splatoon is considered "it" for the Switch.

NateDrake

-BotW
-Splatoon
-Mario RPG

I mean I guess they could have one more game, but 3D Mario and Mario RPG seems like too much. Maybe they'll have one more smaller title or another third party exclusive.

Actually they should have a Wii Sports/Nintendo Land type of game unless Splatoon is considered "it" for the Switch.

If Zelda Wii U launches a month later - like they did with Twilight Princess GCN, then that could be enough. If Zelda launches on the same day for both platforms, you need something bigger than Mario/Rabbids RPG.

If Zelda Wii U launches a month later - like they did with Twilight Princess GCN, then that could be enough. If Zelda launches on the same day for both platforms, you need something bigger than Mario/Rabbids RPG.

why though? i'd say the nintendo loyals are buying it anyway and everyone else never had a wii u.

Hey guys, here's something I've been meaning to share for a while, ...
switchtrailerimage1aiks6k.jpg

So a camera? Mic perhaps? Still no possibility?

Note: I captured this image on a old monitor(not even full 1080p!), so if anyone can capture a sharper image from their monitor, that'll be awesome! That would also prove that this 'defined impression' on the device is definitely there in the trailer, and not something unique to one individual(like a doctored image, or a blemish on my monitor).

I extracted 30 frames (although the movie is 24fps) starting at 3:04, using ffmpeg, the command used is this one.

Code:
ffmpeg -ss 3:04 -i switch.mp4 -vf fps=30 out%d.png

Anyway, here the specific frame from 1080p (it also can't help us):

0b099f9b_o.png

Nilaul

It's not gonna look to good if at launch, if switch only provides cartoony looking games (I dont mean it in a bad sense). Hopefully there will be a variety. A port of Skyrim (that many would had played) and one or two sport titles won't really cut it though. There has to be something truly for everyone in order for the system not get negatively stereotyped.

Nudull

Banned
Are we assuming that the supposed Mario-Rabbids game is another Mario & Luigi crossover, or something else entirely?

Are we assuming that the supposed Mario-Rabbids game is another Mario & Luigi crossover, or something else entirely?
We're not assuming. The rumors said it's a Yoshi X Rabbids game being developed by Ubisoft. It will star Yoshi and other smaller characters.

I personally feel that Mario and Zelda can live next to each other at launch. The attach rate on consoles at launch is generally really high, and those are two that would definitely be attached. It'd also drive positive word of mouth for the console if both games are the quality generally expected from each, which then helps to drive the want for the system itself. I'm not saying that a three month gap between releases wouldn't do this, it just gets more immediate head space with both available at the same time. You also essentially create an "I need this now" mentality for the system for a number of people if both exist and they prefer one to the other to a "I can wait until the one I really want is out" if they are separated.

The bigger question for me is if both are available at the same time, what does that mean for 1st party releases the rest of the year? If they don't have much, then I do see some benefit in staggering the releases of the two games. I also don't think they're too concerned with there being "too many" Wii U ports, because the reality there is that most people that bought a Wii U and are buying a Switch are going to buy the port, while a lot of people that buy the Switch never had a Wii U anyway so it's all new to them.

Allegedly this was up on EB Games Australia's site earlier today (per Reddit Switch)

R4KPLCu.jpg

The alleged Mario Kart image seems to show All New Battle Mode, XX extra tracks (I think it says 16, personally), and XX new characters

Games are removed now, but the placeholder for the system & controller are still there.

Mhmmm... that Lakitu render is from Mario Kart 7... Dunno, it looks kinda weird, could be fake? Edit: I mean the boxart is not official or not even indicative that it has any of these new features. Not saying it wasn't up at the store

Yeah...I'm hoping someone can clear those up.

Seems like a placeholder for rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom