• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever notice that there is some Monsters in Metroid Prime Federation Force that are almost exact copy of Knuckledragger in Borderlands 2?

I would have noticed if I didn't google Federation Force HD.

Oregano

Tfw you have an exam the day before the Switch event so you're feeling hyped and worried at the same time right now.

I'm waiting to hear back about a promotion I interviewed for so I'm kinda stressed but at least I've done as much as I can and can just look forward to Switch.

So I'm on a flight right now and I noticed a man looking like Shibata from the back. He was working on his computer. He went to take a shit so I quickly snapped a picture of his computer and it was the Switch event !!!
Here are dem leaks, quote my name when you'll spread them all over the internet :

Oh shit! Bummed that Mario isn't "electric avenue". Could have gone well with the song

Waji

I have exams the day before and the day right after the Swith event lol.
Ouch.
Good "luck" to both of you.

I just have to go to work at noon and I might even be able to take a peek at some treehouse footage during the afternoon, so I have an easier time.

Pachimari

I will give you all honest feedback on what I encounter after Sunday 15th .

I also will be quizzing nintendo is how my nintendo will work with switch and about qol.

Any plans for extensions such as add on power? Vr etc. Especially if these questions are not addressed or announced during presentation or afterwards.
Fuck I'm laughing my ass off at this. Please do this, and tell them you've been sent by IGN as well. You'll surely get your answers and more.

oti

Banned
I will give you all honest feedback on what I encounter after Sunday 15th .

I also will be quizzing nintendo is how my nintendo will work with switch and about qol.

Any plans for extensions such as add on power? Vr etc. Especially if these questions are not addressed or announced during presentation or afterwards.

Dude, unless Kimishima himself is giving you the Switch demo those people got a 10 minute introduction to the system to guide you through the demo. Don't make it awkward.

So I'm on a flight right now and I noticed a man looking like Shibata from the back. He was working on his computer. He went to take a shit so I quickly snapped a picture of his computer and it was the Switch event !!!
Here are dem leaks, quote my name when you'll spread them all over the internet :

is that computer real or 3d printed?

Oregano

So, any news since the disappointing hardware leak by Eurogamer a few weeks ago?

It might not actually be as disappointing as previously thought because the Shield TV seems to be underclocked to lower than docked Switch performance(2x undocked performance).

Jury is still out on the Pixel C.

EDIT: That's GPU-wise. CPU wise Switch might still be disappointing.

LordKano

Well, those titles are movie title rip offs. 8ful 8 = Tarintinos H8teful 8. Civil War = Captain America?

Seems kind of odd. Plus no mention of third parties what so ever.

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

It might not actually be as disappointing as previously thought because the Shield TV seems to be underclocked to lower than docked Switch performance(2x undocked performance).

Could you resume the discovery you made in the other thread about the GPU ? I don't understand a single post in this tech mess so I need someone to make it dumber for myself.

Scrawnton

I don't really care for graphics because I'm satisfied with Wii U level, but I think Switch will pack a punch higher than what those clock speeds suggest.

Nvidia said that them and Nintendo supposedly made a whole new physics engine. Maybe this could be based on PhysX with a goal for efficiency to leave the ARM CPU cores some breathing room without sacrificing too much of the GPU. I'm also assuming the custom NVN API will very optimized for splitting CPU workload between threads.

Oregano

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Could you resume the discovery you made in the other thread about the GPU ? I don't understand a single post in this tech mess so I need someone to make it dumber for myself.

I'm just basing it on what MDave said. Apparently the Shield throttles down to 614MHz which is less than the 768MHz Switch does when docked.

Most comparisons were made on the assumption Shield maintains 1GHz clockspeed because it's plugged in and has a fan.

It makes it plausible that Switch is actually clocked as high as possible.

I don't really care for graphics because I'm satisfied with Wii U level, but I think Switch will pack a punch higher than what those clock speeds suggest.

Well we don't know really know what a game looks like on a 400GFlops machine anyway. It might be a 1/3 of the power of the XBO but what does that actually entail?

TLZ

Banned
I'm just basing it on what MDave said. Apparently the Shield throttles down to 614MHz which is less than the 768MHz Switch does when docked.

Most comparisons were made on the assumption Shield maintains 1GHz clockspeed because it's plugged in and has a fan.

We're also assuming the speculated 768hz won't be throttled. Here's hoping it isn't.

LordKano

Ah, so it is possible that the console is actually as powerful as it is possible to do with such a form factor, and with the current pricing in mind ?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Well we don't know really know what a game looks like on a 400GFlops machine anyway. It might be a 1/3 of the power of the XBO but what does that actually entail?

Still find it strange that none of the tech sites doing benchmarks noticed this. I kind of want to see somebody else confirming this.

Koren

Throttling is antithetical to a console.
Well, I have no doubt it's technically throttled... the question is whether the CPU, when docked, may overheat enough to actually trigger the throttle.

Unless I'm mistaken, intel core CPU for example are technically throttled when they reach 85-90°C (I remember a test where they removed the heatsink of a core duo and the CPU survived by lowering its frequencies, which is an impressive feat). It's just that, in normal conditions, the temperature should never reach 85°C.

We are seeing throttling often on phones because the cooling is not efficient enough for the CPU/GPU.

Retrobox

Still find it strange that none of the tech sites doing benchmarks noticed this. I kind of want to see somebody else confirming this.

Yeah, MDave sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but it's just so strange that this hasn't been noticed at all yet.

I kind of want to say it almost sounds impossible, but maybe there are just not enough people who give a damn about the Shield so there's little incentive to dig deeper with details like this.

sphinx

the piano man
Does power really matter unless your of the mind of some reason only wanting one system.

this has been discussed so many times by now

more power in a console means less compromises and more possibilities from devs, both 1st and 3rd party, regardless of whether the games are exclusive or not.

Dude, unless Kimishima himself is giving you the Switch demo those people got a 10 minute introduction to the system to guide you through the demo. Don't make it awkward.

Uh, excuse me, Mr Nintendo. On the Mario & Sonic CD-ROM, is there a way to get out of the dungeon without using the wizard key?

TLZ

Banned
Does power really matter unless your of the mind of some reason only wanting one system.
Seriously why are some here so anti power :/ It helps games look better so why not. Probably even makes the devs job easier and make it more attractive to them. And at the right price it might be fabulous. If it can be done, why not?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, MDave sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but it's just so strange that this hasn't been noticed at all yet.

I kind of want to say it almost sounds impossible, but maybe there are just not enough people who give a damn about the Shield so there's little incentive to dig deeper with details like this.

I mean Digital Foundry even revisited the Nvidia Shield TV once they got the info the TX1 is powering the Switch devkits. The also compared the clocks in their latest leak, with the lowered clocks for Switch. That would a huge miss for DF if indeed the Nvidia Shield TV GPU clock is really much lower.

On the other hand then maybe the poor performance of some console games ports it's not only because of Android if this turns out to be true.

Gutss

Is it just me that is excited with this LKD leak for advance vibration force feedback?

The force feedback functionality of the controller has been described by one source as “very similar to the Vive controller, in that it alters intensity, pulsing patterns and duration of vibration to mimic the sensation of a range of different movement types. It’s not just one vibration for all situations, there’s a notable difference between the hard abrupt feedback of a sword clash or the softer, longer thud of something like hitting a tennis ball.”

i want to feel that advance vibration.

Platy

I know it is pages and pages ago that it is almost a geological era ago but

HOLY SHIT that was a shitty MK8 logo from that 4chan page

MCN

Banned
If you're talking about the hype train images, then they've been banned for a long time now.

I understand why they were banned (threads descended into being full of people asking to be added the the hype train, instead of any actual discussion), but damn they were fun.

Plum

I understand why they were banned (threads descended into being full of people asking to be added the the hype train, instead of any actual discussion), but damn they were fun.

Can't we make a hype train image that doesn't have any users in it? Don't see why that would cause any issues.

Is it just me that is excited with this LKD leak for advance vibration force feedback?

The force feedback functionality of the controller has been described by one source as “very similar to the Vive controller, in that it alters intensity, pulsing patterns and duration of vibration to mimic the sensation of a range of different movement types. It’s not just one vibration for all situations, there’s a notable difference between the hard abrupt feedback of a sword clash or the softer, longer thud of something like hitting a tennis ball.”

i want to feel that advance vibration.

The vibration of the vive is not that super different. I expected something super phenomenal when i used it. But it's just a little different than the normal vibration.

shingi70

Banned
Seriously why are some here so anti power :/ It helps games look better so why not. Probably even makes the devs job easier and make it more attractive to them. And at the right price it might be fabulous. If it can be done, why not?

I guess but even if it makes the system more attractive for third party developers doesn't mean I'm just going to buy those games for switch as opposed to my xbox.

My assumption that the power will match all of Nintendo's targets at the price point chosen. Not just performance but in terms of heat and battery life. It's not about pro or anti power, we all want as much as is feasible. But if it's more powerful than what came before, in terms of 3ds and vita handheld gaming and the Wii U as a home console, and allows Nintendo and the devs to reach closer to their ideal vision when making a game on it, then it's good enough for me.

Oregano

Ah, so it is possible that the console is actually as powerful as it is possible to do with such a form factor, and with the current pricing in mind ?

I'm no expert but possibly? Especially in light of the fact the new Shield still uses the X1.

I mean Digital Foundry even revisited the Nvidia Shield TV once they got the info the TX1 is powering the Switch devkits. The also compared the clocks in their latest leak, with the lowered clocks for Switch. That would a huge miss for DF if indeed the Nvidia Shield TV GPU clock is really much lower.

On the other hand then maybe the poor performance of some console games ports it's not only because of Android if this turns out to be true.

Yeah, would be a bit of a miss for it. Of course the fact that it throttles was mentioned in their video discussing Switch clock speeds but it was just a one line thing.

Because power doesn't matter.

Waji

I'm anti power when it means crushing the teams who can't follow.
When you see how beautiful some game on less powerful consoles can be, I don't see why it should be THE reference.
Art style go far beyond power only.

Ideas are more important than power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom