• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But switching to the browser was so sloooooooow. It's much faster to just grab my phone and look it up there instead for me.

And I think this:

is a complete misread of the situation at hand imo. If Nintendo wants to go down that route they'll have to care about things Nintendo wants no business of. How good is the screen resolution, how long is the battery life how many apps are on the thing etc. It stops being about the games and starts being about tech at that point. Nintendo can't and doesn't want to compete with cheap Android tablet manufacturers, with the Google Play Store, let alone with the iPad.

I could see a Nintendo book app for selling comics to kids for instance, I don't see people having their documents from work on Switch.

Switch won't have production tools, that's clear, but it should be an entertainment device as much as possible if they want to target casuals. Unless Ubisoft was talking out of their asses.

Edit: and we are talking about features that both 3ds and Wii U have. It would be ridiculous if they will be cut out for Switch.

Switch will most likely have apps. But most of them won't be run alongside with games except for a very few ones that Nintendo has built in to the OS.

So in other words you need to exit the game you are playing to start an app and it shouldn't be in multitasking at all. I'm thinking that if the 800MB for the OS is true I can see Nintendo limiting apps to probably 256MB while the OS uses the rest

The info about 800MB for the OS is also from Vern. Until he's vetted by mods or the info comes from certified sources I'll take it with a grain of salt.

I doubt they would not have a Netflix app at launch, that would be just sad. I'm very doubtful for now about apps in general though, e.g. whether it will have Sky.

Presumably it'll depend if Sky bother to make an App for it, they didn't for the Wii U, think the only video apps for the wii u were youtube, netflix, amazon, crunchyroll and the BBC

oti

Banned
I doubt they would not have a Netflix app at launch, that would be just sad. I'm very doubtful for now about apps in general though, e.g. whether it will have Sky.
You never know with Nintendo, do you. 😄 Using the Joy-Con pointer could be cool for quickly selecting what to watch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And I don't see the memory being such a problem. There are a lot of phones out there with 1GB or 2GB of RAM that can do multitasking pretty well.

Coreda

Are people expecting the Switch to have external drive support where games can be installed, or will are most expecting it to be strictly cartridge-based? Would make switching between games more convenient if the former.

Bert

It's for the media apps as much as anything that I want some kind of Android mode. How hard would it be to have a "Media Mode" or something that it can boot into like the Wii Mode on Wii U? So the two don't get in each other's way?

I'd happily boot into Media Mode when in tablet form to watch a movie or surf the web, then quit back into Gaming Mode to play. It'd just need to be similar to something like the Amazon Fire Stick.

El Topo

You never know with Nintendo, do you. �� Using the Joy-Con pointer could be cool for quickly selecting what to watch.

Netflix is the bare minimum and should be expected. If they can't even get a Netflix App Day 1, come on. Not as optimistic about e.g. Sky.

oti

Banned
Are people actually doubting the Switch will have Netflix or a freaking web browser now.
I think one can make the point that people already have enough browsers in their lives and that their preferred browser will stay their preferred browser no matter what Nintendo could offer. If you're a Google user you won't switch to Nintendo's browser without you login. If you're an Apple user then why would you care about Switch's tablet capabilities at all?

LordKano

I think one can make the point that people already have enough browsers in their lives and that their preferred browser will stay their preferred browser no matter what Nintendo could offer. If you're a Google user you won't switch to Nintendo's browser without you login. If you're an Apple user then why would you care about Switch's tablet capabilities at all?

The thing is, even if the web browser will be used by a minority, it costs next to nothing to make. It will have a web browser, zero doubt about it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I have the big iPad Pro model, it's awesome, but I wish I had a smaller screen to watch Netflix on the train, is an example I gave few posts earlier. After that, it's only a convenience matter. Opening a web browser while holding the Switch would be more convenient than having to put it down and grabbing your phone for a quick search.

If you are stuck on a game it's a damn site handier to just quickly load up a console browser than faff around getting your phone out

oti

Banned
The thing is, even if the web browser will be used by a minority, it costs next to nothing to make. It will have a web browser, zero doubt about it.
You have figures to back up that "next to nothing" claim?
I have the big iPad Pro model, it's awesome, but I wish I had a smaller screen to watch Netflix on the train, is an example I gave few posts earlier. After that, it's only a convenience matter. Opening a web browser while holding the Switch would be more convenient than having to put it down and grabbing your phone for a quick search.

If you are stuck on a game it's a damn site handier to just quickly load up a console browser than faff around getting your phone out
I know. In theory it makes sense. But if the Switch browser is even a tiny bit inconvenient or slow I would never use it for that purpose. If they really want to use this as a selling point the overall OS must be super snappy.

disap.ed

The point is to make Switch THE device to carry around beside your phone (because it won't replace the phone), not to have other devices that compete with it because it lack basic features.

This. Personally I was thinking about buying a Tablet for me (my daughter has one) for quite some time, but since rumors of NX being what Switch is now I held off and hope that Switch will sufficient support for Browsing / Youtube / Netflix.

I am probably going to sell my PS4 ( which is pretty much a Netflix-machine at this point ) and get a Switch on launch-day. It seems perfect for my needs, and I am a sucker for Nintendo anyways.

LordKano

I don't, just common sense. Almost every modern devices has web browser since a decade. Even things where it make little sense (like the DSi) have it. I assume by then that the cost is fairly low.

I can imagine Nintendo giving up on apps. Everyone's got a smartphone and tablet where the options are just, frankly, better. The app support on Wii U and 3DS was awful, I can see them just not bothering.
But they don't have to bother. They'd have to go out of their way to prevent others from bothering.

Are people actually doubting the Switch will have Netflix or a freaking web browser now.

Some person had a "source" saying it won't; which is complete bullshit.

Having a discussion on whether the Switch will have a semi-open App Store is constructive. Netflix however will of course be there.

The_Lump

Banned

I know. In theory it makes sense. But if the Switch browser is even a tiny bit inconvenient or slow I would never use it for that purpose. If they really want to use this as a selling point the overall OS must be super snappy.

Well there's no reason to assume it will be. WiiU web browser was pretty slick when it came out.

I wonder if the base station will allow for external drives, with SD cards used for a portable selection of games. Thankfully capacities have grown though.
I think we discussed this already and most said it would be too finicky to manage. You'd have to copy games from the HDd to the Switch itself in order to play them, otherwise you wouldn't be able to remove it from the dock at any time while playing.

Reki

Not so sure about Netflix, but the browser has to be there for launch. Even if nobody uses it, not having it would cause a marketing disaster considering that everything has one these days.

I can already see the trolls and the PR excuses...

andthebeatgoeson

Are people seriously saying the Switch won't have apps? We were supposed to get less crazy after the reveal, not more.
😂

Welcome new guy. Things will always get more crazy with time. It's the Nintendo difference. After this thing on January, it'll be hard to not talk about it.

I wonder if the base station will allow for external drives, with SD cards used for a portable selection of games. Thankfully capacities have grown though.

Most likely no external drive drives. Makes no sense. What if a game runs and you take the switch out of the dock? The only storage will be sd and game cards.

Mantorok

I'm seriously thinking of buying the switch for the following reasons:

• Life is very busy these days
  • which leaves little to no time to sit in front of the TV gaming
  • always been a big N fan - but didn't go for WiiU
  • switch allows me to slot gaming into a busy life

The whole take-it-with-you-wherever-you-go is a really big selling point for me, the Wii was my last N console and I still play it if I ever get the time, but that time is so few and far between, with the Switch I don't need to go to gaming, gaming comes to me.

Simple - and with added bonus of great N games :)

Pachimari

I'm buying the Switch primarily as a handheld. I would love to bring it with me, to maybe get some quick matches in Splatoon or Smash Bros at work, or have a go at Mario with my nieces at their place. Would love to bring it around for local multiplayer.

And then I would use it as a home console in the living room, to play stuff online.

It's going to have a web browser and support for Netflix. I'm willing to bet quite a lot on that. We know there is a dedicated share button, why the hell would Nintendo put resources into making that if they're so focused on making it "just a games machine" that they won't even include a web browser or support for apps like Netflix which even the 3DS had? That reasoning makes absolutely no sense.

Question is how much value there is to add to this thing with stuff everybody already owns on other devices. They'd also have to compromise part of the RAM for App stuff, I don't know if Nintendo wants to do that. I could see Nintengo going very Nintendo and saying this is a device for gaming and not much else, like how when the Wii couldn't play DVDs. Maybe they're going the Kindle e-Reader approach. Do one thing but do it really well. I still expect stuff like the Nintendo Anime Channel and Netflix at some point down the road to appear here, but it won't be like the Google Play Store. It will be a "Nintendo-like solution" lol.

The bolded is not true. The only time apps like that could require dedicated RAM is when they are being used while a game is in standby mode. You really don't need to watch Netflix on the Switch while a game is sitting paused.

Are people expecting the Switch to have external drive support where games can be installed, or will are most expecting it to be strictly cartridge-based? Would make switching between games more convenient if the former.

The current rumor is no external HDD's connected to the dock, apparently because Nintendo doesn't want to confuse the concept of taking the Switch with you at the drop of a hat. It would be nice if they let you store games there, but microSD cards can transfer your games to PCs easily enough if you need.

oti

Banned
It's going to have a web browser and support for Netflix. I'm willing to bet quite a lot on that. We know there is a dedicated share button, why the hell would Nintendo put resources into making that if they're so focused on making it "just a games machine" that they won't even include a web browser or support for apps like Netflix which even the 3DS had? That reasoning makes absolutely no sense.
The share button exists to use Social Media for promotional reasons. Without online sharing Tomodachi wouldn't be the success it ended up being, Nintendo knows that and wants to make it easier to share stuff online. I don't think that automatically means there will be a Twitter and Facebook app for Switch. After all Nintendo built Miiverse for the specific purpose of giving kids access to a "save" social network.

I'll take your point with the RAM, I'm sure you know more about that than I do. I just don't expect Nintendo sell this thing as a substitute for a usual tablet like many here seem to do. That would open a can of worms that Nintendo has no interest in. They want to sell toys and video games, not tech.

Tbh it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Nintendo decided to build a Wii U browser for the sole purpose of showing your family cool internet videos on the TV.

And again, I do expect things like Netflix down the road and the Nintendo Anime channel. I don't expect a Tablet/Amazon TV Entertainment box by Nintendo.

I'm sure the web browser would be good, but I guess I'm questioning whether "good" is good enough and whether Nintendo would just rather not implement one in the end. It's Nintendo after all.

I want more Platinum games, Nintendo got a taste of the action genre dont leave it behind :'(
Same. They're still working together and Bayonetta in Smash is a good sign...I think.
Nier and Scalebound might be exclusive, but I hope we don't have to wait too long for a PG game on a Nintendo system again. Last one was Bayonetta 2 (and Star Fox, I guess).

NateDrake

You know, "insiders" and all that.

The information may not be wrong. If the source is working with unfinished OS and it lacks a browser, then they are simply relaying current information. Things change and if the OS isn't complete, then stuff can be added as launch nears. The info could be accurate at the current time, but it may not be an indicator of what comes at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom