• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

120v

most households have a streaming device. people fussed with streaming on the go will resort to their phone or tablet; it's not a big deal like it was five or ten years ago... it's mostly inconsequential at this point

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm an insider. I don't know what the OS looks like, I haven't been told any details of what form it'll take. Only told that it will be simpler and that the Switch, in all aspects, will be focused on games. Playing games, buying games, and sharing functions, and not to expect extra feautures that take away from the focus on games. I was told multiple times that Nintendo wants to give Switch a unique identity and that it doesn't want to compete for features with a million other devices. Nintendo knows you have a phone for browsing and apps and Netflix and everything else. Nintendos strength is in games... perhaps your phone will even be a companion to your Switch.

I believe the thing to come from this is that Nintendo is not going to make any investment to put extra non-gaming features in the Switch. For the Wii and Wii U, they set up things like the weather channel and TVii that connected to gaming. Nintendo is likely not doing those type of things for the Switch.

I seriously doubt Netflix will be completely skipped over on the Switch. Even the Wii had that, and the effort will be by Netflix themselves rather than Nintendo.

Pachimari

And here I thought Vern was a verified insider with all of these statements being thrown around. And then it turns out his source is shaky at best.

That said, personally I don't need a web browser or Netflix. I never used it on any of my consoles. I got a PC hooked up to my TV and an iPad or phone with me at all times.

vern

My source isn't shaky. They don't work for Nintendo, but they are working on Switch software. And they won't tell me every single thing they know, but they are pointing me in different ways. Again I didn't guarantee these things won't be there. My speculation is just as valid as any claiming that it'll have all these apps.

Sagitario

My source isn't shaky. They don't work for Nintendo, but they are working on Switch software. And they won't tell me every single thing they know, but they are pointing me in different ways. Again I didn't guarantee these things won't be there. My speculation is just as valid as any claiming that it'll have all these apps.

Have they dropped any hints about the Pro controller having motion chips?

Oersted

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm an insider. I don't know what the OS looks like, I haven't been told any details of what form it'll take. Only told that it will be simpler and that the Switch, in all aspects, will be focused on games. Playing games, buying games, and sharing functions, and not to expect extra feautures that take away from the focus on games. I was told multiple times that Nintendo wants to give Switch a unique identity and that it doesn't want to compete for features with a million other devices. Nintendo knows you have a phone for browsing and apps and Netflix and everything else. Nintendos strength is in games... perhaps your phone will even be a companion to your Switch.

PS4 has a "Its all about games" image. #4ThePlayers and whatsnot.
Netflix, YouTube and Spotify exclusivity didn't take away that image.
Same, sans Spotify, for Wii, 3DS and WiiU.

And regarding Nintendos strength are games... well, yes. But they didn't develop the Netflix and Google apps, Netflix and Google did.

foltzie1

The Switch OS being slim to focus on games doesnt preclude some Apps, just that they won't be coupled to the OS.

At this point it would be odd not to have a process to include some video streaming Apps.

vern

PS4 has a "Its all about games" image. #4ThePlayers and whatsnot.
Netflix, YouTube and Spotify exclusivity didn't take away that image.
Same, sans Spotify, for Wii, 3DS and WiiU.

And regarding Nintendos strength are games... well, yes. But they didn't develop the Netflix and Google apps, Netflix and Google did.

Again I'm not guaranteeing anything, let's wait and see. I am merely going down the direction I've been pushed down by a person that I've known for many years IRL and trust (and corroborated by people I have less faith in) . I'm not trying to get attention or whatever. I'm a Nintendo fan and I'm stoked for the Switch. If I wanted attention I'd make a twitter account and leak all the hard facts that I definitely do know (
software mainly... though that would compromise my friend so won't go that way
We will all know the details in a month anyway so for now speculate and have fun, that's what the thread is mainly about.

Speely

Banned
I will say that it seems really, really odd for Nintendo to take a specifically app-agnostic stance when releasing a device that is, on paper, the most directly-suited to being an app beast that is ostensibly targeting the mass market.

How would a game dev have any idea about Switch not having Netflix?

Your speculation is less valid because Nintendo not allowing Netflix to make a Netflix app makes zero sense.

Well, Nate seems to at least partially agree with Vern... Maybe don't be so aggressive with your replies to Vern? He says that his stuff is speculation with some backing from his friend. Most of the people here just speculate with tales from their ass.

PS4 "for the gamers" was always full of shit. It was always an entertainment center type of thing with million different functions.

If Nintendo really makes snappy, only for gaming device I am happy. That's what I really want from a game console. A machine that plays games. That is like the good old days.

Just chill.

I can see apps like Netflix missing launch and becoming available down the line.

I think this is really unwise and there's basically no reason for it. Have easy shit like this done at launch or otherwise it looks pretty bad. People need to hear that it has these things during prelaunch so it's perceived as a multimedia device.

LordKano

Of course it will have a web browser, no matter what "speculation" may say. That's like doubting there will be physical buttons. Even the DSi had a web browser.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Sorry vern, I just want to be absolutely sure of the groun you stand on (as much as you can tell, of course): I get it that you heard the system will be more games-focused, but did you specifically hear that there won't be a browser and that non-Nintendo non-gaming apps like Netflix cannot be there for whatever reason? Again, asking for enough clarity on the matter.

E-phonk

Banned
The switch will have apps, I would even assume the most apps a nintendo systems ever had. Ofcourse they won't be developed by nintendo, but there is zero reason to not have them.
And it will have a browser, youtube, netflix etc at or very close to launch.

oti

Banned
The switch will have apps, I would even assume the most apps a nintendo systems ever had. Ofcourse they won't be developed by nintendo, but there is zero reason to not have them.
And it will have a browser, youtube, netflix etc at or very close to launch.
There are a lot of reasons to not have them. You think Nintendo wants to compete with the cheap Abdroid tablet market with this thing? You think Nintendo is interested in offering Apps and stuff that people already have in a better version in their pocket at all time? You think Nintendo wants to compromise gaming in order to offer a smooth App experience? You really need another browser that will be worse than the browser on your phone?

Do you think the premium model could have a 4G connection?
Or rather, what do you expect from the premium model?
No. 4G would make this device a mess. You really want to tell people to get a second data plan in order to play Splatoon on the go? That's just messy. Just use your phone as a hotspot and tether its connection to the Switch.

Pachimari

I would be willing to buy a 3rd data plan for a Switch. But then again, 4G data is super cheap here and pretty much unlimited. No apps makes no sense either.

I am sure Nintendo have the device ready for apps. And then Netflix will be ready with their app day one.

oti

Banned
I would be willing to buy a 3rd data plan for a Switch. But then again, 4G data is super cheap here and pretty much unlimited. No apps makes no sense either.

I am sure Nintendo have the device ready for apps. And then Netflix will be ready with their app day one.
I expect companies like Netflix to wait and see how it's selling first before they commit on writing an App for the platform. YouTube is another story.

sfried

If Nintendo Switch won't have "Apps", then why build "games" like SwapNote/Doodle, TVii, WiiUChat, Miiverse, or heck, even the Mii-building application?

E-phonk

Banned
There are a lot of reasons to not have them. You think Nintendo wants to compete with the cheap Abdroid tablet market with this thing? You think Nintendo is interested in offering Apps and stuff that people already have in a better version in their pocket at all time? You think Nintendo wants to compromise gaming in order to offer a smooth App experience? You really need another browser that will be worse than the browser on your phone?
None of those make sense - it's about added value. You give the device added value by letting third party companies develop software for it. They even make money on it because every subscription that goes through their eshop gives them a 30% cut just like apple/google do.

And WiiU had a great browser, why would it be worse? It actually had one of the best console browsers.

They also don't have to "compromise gaming"... In what way would a netflix app "compromise gaming"? That's ridiculous. The only way it would compromise gaming is if they would let the device spent too much resources on background services, but if they do it like ps4 does it will work without any compromise.

Also - how are you going to add social media functions your device (post to facebook, post to twitter, upload on youtube, stream twitch) if you don't allow those services on your device.

I expect companies like Netflix to wait and see how it's selling first before they commit on writing an App for the platform.
Netflix writes apps for everything that has a web connected cpu in it these days.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Don't get your hopes up for a bunch of bells and whistles like web browser or Netflix... I'll be very shocked if they are there. Heard multiple times they won't be. It's a games machine.

You're doing this shtick again? Pretending to be an insider without being vetted by the mods?

Edit: 10k had sources too, remember? Why are we playing this game again?

Plus, what would a game developer realistically know about Netflix app and browser?

Koppai

I ordered a ton of ps4 games during those visa checkout promos. And they all come out around the time the Switch launches...x.x

The_Lump

Banned
I expect companies like Netflix to wait and see how it's selling first before they commit on writing an App for the platform. YouTube is another story.

Pretty sure Netflix now uses HTML5. Nintendo's Web Framework for developers is based on HTML 5. So I doubt it's going to cost much in development time.

Pachimari

I'm not sure. The app is probably already coded and ready to go. I would also say Nintendo would have an interest in having Netflix, so it would arrive sooner rather than later.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Not having Netflix and a web browser would be quite stupid. It's gimping your device of basic features.

Yes, you have several other devices that have browsers and Netflix, but why would you want to pick another device to search on the net where you find that damn collectable in Xenoblade X instead of just pausing the game and opening the browser on Switch?
Why wouldn't you want Switch to be the device to watch Netflix and others on?

Why giving up on easy selling points? No, nobody would buy Switch for browser and Netflix, but for sure having those would count as additional incentive at the end of the day.

Not having them bring negative vibe.

oti

Banned
Question is how much value there is to add to this thing with stuff everybody already owns on other devices. They'd also have to compromise part of the RAM for App stuff, I don't know if Nintendo wants to do that. I could see Nintengo going very Nintendo and saying this is a device for gaming and not much else, like how when the Wii couldn't play DVDs. Maybe they're going the Kindle e-Reader approach. Do one thing but do it really well. I still expect stuff like the Nintendo Anime Channel and Netflix at some point down the road to appear here, but it won't be like the Google Play Store. It will be a "Nintendo-like solution" lol.

I mean, why didn't Nintendo show video or even touch screen capabilities in the reveal trailer if it was so obvious that the kickstand was meant for media consumption? I could see them being really focused on gaming.

Anyway, just to make that clear, I wouldn't mind some media Apps.

The_Lump

Banned
I'm not sure. The app is probably already coded and ready to go. I would also say Nintendo would have an interest in having Netflix, so it would arrive sooner rather than later.

Services like Netflix rely on being basically ubiquitous. It's not the same as a publisher taking a 'wait and see' approach because they want to get a return on their investment in development etc. Netflix is already developed and their users expect to see it on every device that connects to a TV. It would require minimal effort to get an app working on any device that can use html 5 anyway.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Why giving up on easy selling points?
Though Switch won't be an iPad mini killer, apps would definitely add value to the console. I don't watch series in the train on my iPad (too big), nor on my phone (too small). The Switch screen size would be ideal, as long as Netflix also includes the offline feature.

Always online with companion phone.
Sharing connection is a standard feature. What else could Vern mean? I'm asking because I'm still surprised there's no camera on Switch, and I was thinking they could streamline a smartphone camera/switch easy link. I wonder if there could me more links like that. Some might say streetpass could be done through the phone, but I don't believe it. Nintendo would certainly prefer people to bring their Switch wherever they go, creating opportunities to show the system to other people. So what more links between smartphones and Switch could we think of?

oti

Banned
Not having Netflix and a web browser would be quite stupid. It's gimping your device of basic features.

Yes, you have several other devices that have browsers and Netflix, but why would you want to pick another device to search on the net where you find that damn collectable in Xenoblade X instead of just pausing the game and opening the browser on Switch?
Why wouldn't you want Switch to be the device to watch Netflix and others on?

Why giving up on easy selling points? No, nobody would buy Switch for browser and Netflix, but for sure having those would count as additional incentive at the end of the day.

Not having them bring negative vibe.
Do you use the browser on your Xbox One by any chance? Sure, when it's in handheld mode that's another story. As amazing as the browser on the Wii U was, I used it for well over 500h before the Chromecast came out, I'm not sure Nintendo will do it. I know I wouldn't use it at least.

Services like Netflix rely on being basically ubiquitous. It's not the same as a publisher taking a 'wait and see' approach because they want to get a return on their investment in development etc. Netflix is already developed and their users expect to see it on every device that connects to a TV. It would require minimal effort to get an app working on any device that can use html 5 anyway.

We'll see if it will be there at the start. I kinda doubt it tbh.

Though Switch won't be an iPad mini killer, it would definitely add value to the console. I don't watch series in the train on my iPad (too big), nor on my phone (too small). The Switch screen size would be ideal, as long as Netflix also includes the offline feature.

You can get some dirt cheap Android tablets for that. DIRT CHEAP.

Pachimari

Which was my point.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Do you use the browser on your Xbox One by any chance? Sure, when it's in handheld mode that's another story. As amazing as the browser on the Wii U was, I used it for well over 500h before the Chromecast came out, I'm not sure Nintendo will do it. I know I wouldn't use it at least.

I don't have a Xbone, so no. But I used the browser on Wii U quite often at the time when there was still something to play on it. I gave the example of Xenoblade X, because that was a real use, even on the big screen. Instead of picking up the phone or changing the input to the PC I just paused the game and switched to Wii U browser to check for hints and things like that.

I also used the Wii U browser on the gamepad quite often.

And the point is that Switch is a handheld too, so apps are a plus for that.

You can get some dirt cheap Android tablets for that. DIRT CHEAP.

The point is to make Switch THE device to carry around beside your phone (because it won't replace the phone), not to have other devices that compete with it because it lack basic features.

EVH

The thing also needs a Twitter client. Also, would be cool if devs can directly access that client and define "standard" hashtags for the game that you can later rewrite. Like "#NSwitch #Spla2oon". This kind of thing obviously would help sharing lots of multimedia a la #PShare.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
We had a number of publishers (like Ubisoft) who stated that Nintendo targets more than just core gamers with the Switch, how would that even work without some basic casual apps and features?

The thing also needs a Twitter client. Also, would be cool if devs can directly access that client and define "standard" hashtags for the game that you can later rewrite. Like "#NSwitch #Spla2oon". This kind of thing obviously would help sharing lots of multimedia a la #PShare.

Twitter is dead and so "5-years-ago".

Nintendo has Miiverse for such things anyway.

The_Lump

Banned
We had a number of publishers (like Ubisoft) who stated that Nintendo targets more than just core gamers with the Switch, how would that even work without some basic casual apps and features?

Yup. It doesn't add up and I don't know why anyone is even entertaining the idea tbh. Occam's Razor springs to mind.

Mr Swine

Banned
Switch will most likely have apps. But most of them won't be run alongside with games except for a very few ones that Nintendo has built in to the OS.

So in other words you need to exit the game you are playing to start an app and it shouldn't be in multitasking at all. I'm thinking that if the 800MB for the OS is true I can see Nintendo limiting apps to probably 256MB while the OS uses the rest

oti

Banned
I don't have a Xbone, so no. But I used the browser on Wii U quite often at the time when there was still something to play on it. I gave the example of Xenoblade X, because that was a real use, even on the big screen. Instead of picking up the phone or changing the input to the PC I just paused the game and switched to Wii U browser to check for hints and things like that.

I also used the Wii U browser on the gamepad quite often.

And the point is that Switch is a handheld too, so apps are a plus for that.

The point is to make Switch THE device to carry around beside your phone (because it won't replace the phone), not to have other devices that compete with it because it lack basic features.
But switching to the browser was so sloooooooow. It's much faster to just grab my phone and look it up there instead for me.

And I think this:

The point is to make Switch THE device to carry around beside your phone (because it won't replace the phone)

is a complete misread of the situation at hand imo. If Nintendo wants to go down that route they'll have to care about things Nintendo wants no business of. How good is the screen resolution, how long is the battery life how many apps are on the thing etc. It stops being about the games and starts being about tech at that point. Nintendo can't and doesn't want to compete with cheap Android tablet manufacturers, with the Google Play Store, let alone with the iPad.

I could see a Nintendo book app for selling comics to kids for instance, I don't see people having their documents from work on Switch.

Malyse

Twitter is dead and so "5-years-ago".

Nintendo has Miiverse for such things anyway.

Miiverse is way better than Twitter and actually moderated. I got a post (wrongly and quickly reversed) pulled for saying "jerk". The last thing Nintendo wants is that cesspool.

I'm actually hoping for some kind of Miiverse/Miitomo/Mii Plaza hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom