• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanstesy

While your opinion on Luigi's Mansion 2 may vary, it still was a huge & unprecedented success. NLG should be working on a sequel.

Except it will and I'm sure the Mario team would love the extra time. There will be two Nintendo titles, but I don't think they're doing this mistake. People won't buy both, they will have to chose one and buy the other one later or maybe never even. That would be terrible business practice and, like I said, Nintendo has yet to do this.

There will be more than two Nintendo titles, even if Mario and Zelda aren't both at launch. I'm expecting at least three.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the main point, as I don't think it would be a poor business decision (consumers don't simply skip a mainline Mario or Zelda for good if they don't buy it on day one), but I do agree it probably won't happen, despite it being an awesome opportunity. I mean, assuming the games are actually both ready. If not, then of course having both in March would be a mistake.

But Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is actually really really good...? I mean it's not the original, but it's its own thing and very fun.

I very much enjoyed Luigis Mansion 2. Consider me a traitor.

Luigi's Mansion 2 was great. I'd love to see NLG make another one.

The game had issues, but I'm definitely down for another one.

Peléo

I just want Next Level Games to make another Punch-Out!

I think the next installment of Punch-Out we get will be on mobile. Gameplay should translate quite well in single-player (Tap to punch, Swipe Left/Right to dodge, Swipe Down to duck, Swipe Up for Uppercut) as long as they make the fights shorter. For Multiplayer they could have Score/Time Modes and a create your fighter type, where you would select patterns for an A.I that could be challenged by other players.

Franchise is at a high point right now: Little Mac was popular in Smash, NES Classic featured the original Punch Out and the not so recent Wii game sold decently.

Peléo;227504646 said:
I think the next installment of Punch-Out we get will be on mobile. Gameplay should translate quite well in single-player (Tap to punch, Swipe Left/Right to dodge, Swipe Down to duck, Swipe Up for Uppercut) as long as they make the fights shorter. For Multiplayer they could have Score/Time Modes and a create your fighter type, where you would select patterns for an A.I that could be challenged by other players.

Franchise is at a high point right now: Little Mac was popular in Smash, NES Classic featured the original Punch Out and the not so recent Wii game sold decently.

...I never realised I wanted a mobile Punch-Out until now

It... would actually translate really well

LordKano

I'm writing angry letters at everyone who enjoyed Luigi's Mansion 2, y'all are a bunch of traitors.

But more seriously, Luigi's Mansion is one of my favourite games and I felt like everything good has been taken out of it to make a soulless sequel suited for casual gamers. No unique ghosts, toned down gameplay, uninteresting rooms and manors...

Scrawnton

I'm writing angry letters at everyone who enjoyed Luigi's Mansion 2, y'all are a bunch of traitors.

But more seriously, Luigi's Mansion is one of my favourite games and I felt like everything good has been taken out of it to make a soulless sequel suited for casual gamers. No unique ghosts, toned down gameplay, uninteresting rooms and manors...
I was disappointed that the sequel was mission based and not much of an adventure game but it was still really enjoyable and a good ride. I'd like to see the original Luigi Mansion's adventure style gameplay be applied to a larger area like a small village or something.

The game definitely didn't live up to the original, but it was still quite good and there's room for a great Luigi's Mansion 3 and I think Next Level could deliver.

But I want a Punch-Out!! sequel from them much more. Like, infinitely more.

Nudull

Banned
I won't lie, I'd be down to buy a Switch for Kingdom Hearts.

Hell, I bought the original 3DS because of Dream Drop Distance. :p

Zalman

A new Punch-Out would be great too. I think it could do better than the Wii game now that Little Mac has received a popularity boost from Smash.

A new Punch-Out would be great too. I think it could do better than the Wii game now that Little Mac has received a popularity boost from Smash.

For sure.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Wii game did pretty well, selling over a million copies. For something like Punch-Out!!, that's impressive. Definitely an IP Nintendo should continue to invest in.

Should NLG make a new Punch-Out, I want them to design some new boxers to go with fan favorites. Sure, keep good old Glass Joe, Soda Popinski, King Hippo, and the like; but I wanna see some new faces too! Disco Kid's the only new boxer they added in the Wii game, but I'm sure they can come up with some gimmicky fighters!

Asd202

But its coming to Xbox one which sells like crap in Japan, and Switch well sell great in Japan, wouldnt make any sense at all

Thing is porting it to Xbone won't be as troublesome as porting it to Switch on which it'll need to run in handheld mode it may be even impossible as the game is built with better hardware in mind. About FFVIIR who will care? It's a PS4 timed exclusive anyway and again how badly it's would run is the question.

It could work well on Switch. Motion controls when docked. Classic controls and also joycons multiplayer.

Gleethor

Should NLG make a new Punch-Out, I want them to design some new boxers to go with fan favorites. Sure, keep good old Glass Joe, Soda Popinski, King Hippo, and the like; but I wanna see some new faces too! Disco Kid's the only new boxer they added in the Wii game, but I'm sure they can come up with some gimmicky fighters!
Wasn't there a super Irish dude and a Canadian dude they added too?

Thing is porting it to Xbone won't be as troublesome as porting it to Switch on which it'll need to run in handheld mode it may be even impossible as the game is built with better hardware in mind. About FFVIIR who will care? It's a PS4 timed exclusive anyway and again how badly it's would run is the question.
You are Most likely to cry if it comes to switch lol

Oregano

I very much doubt its happening but FFVIIR being on a handheld would be massive in Japan, even if it launched later.

Josh5890

I can see Kingdom Hearts 3 being on the Switch since I don't believe we will be seeing that game release for two more years so there is plenty of time to port it over.

Nudull

Banned
For sure.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Wii game did pretty well, selling over a million copies. For something like Punch-Out!!, that's impressive. Definitely an IP Nintendo should continue to invest in.

Which makes its absence throughout the Wii U years (outside of Smash) all the more weird. I know Next Level had been busy with other things (Luigi's Mansion, for one), and we did get a re-release of the Wii game, but you'd think Nintendo would capitalize with some sort of sequel already,

Which makes its absence throughout the Wii U years (outside of Smash) all the more weird. I know Next Level had been busy with other things (Luigi's Mansion, for one), and we did get a re-release of the Wii game, but you'd think Nintendo would capitalize with some sort of sequel already,

I think a lot of franchises were absent from Wii U simply due to that system's failure to catch on commercially. I bet a bunch of unannounced Wii U projects were cancelled or moved to Switch.

sanstesy

They will capitalize on a new Luigi's Mansion game before a Punch-Out one. Luigi's Mansion 2 sold 5 million copies. I don't think it's a priority, though it would be cool if they had two teams that are working on two games.

MacTag

Banned
Shenmue 3 is part funded by Sony, it's going to be PS4 exclusive.

We compiled a list of Japanese UE4 games earlier in the thread.

FFVIIR
KH2.8
KH3
DQXI
Tekken 7
MVC: Infinite
Let it Die
Bloodstained

4 Goddesses Online
Ace Combat 7

The bolded are the most likely to release on Switch IMO. I really wouldn't expect KH or FFVII.
Sony isn't funding Shenmue III, it was clairified during the kickstarter that they're just helping with promotion. It might end up with a PS4 exclusivity window but Yu Suzuki said they were free to port it anywhere, Xbox One being an example.

Also Inbelieve The Silver Case HD uses UE4, and was one of the games LKD already named as coming to Switch.

Oregano

Sony isn't funding Shenmue III, it was clairified during the kickstarter that they're just helping with promotion. It might end up with a PS4 exclusivity window but Yu Suzuki said they were free to port it anywhere, Xbox One being an example.

Also Inbelieve The Silver Case HD uses UE4, and was one of the games LKD already named as coming to Switch.

That might be the case but they're at least getting timed exclusivity.

Silver Case is Unity based AFAIK.

Shahadan

I was disappointed that the sequel was mission based and not much of an adventure game but it was still really enjoyable and a good ride.

That was my main problem with it as well but it seems it was designed that way because it was a handheld game. It's understandable, but it's actually my main concern for Switch games, there is a chance that Nintendo choose to design some of its titles with handheld mode in mind first.

MacTag

Banned
That might be the case but they're at least getting timed exclusivity.

Silver Case is Unity based AFAIK.
Oh sure, I expect timed PS4 exclusivity too and maybe full exclusivity if the game doesn't sell. I think FFVIIR will be a similar case too, PS4's getting a window for sure.

You're right on TSCHD, dunno why I thought it was UE4 but it's Unity 5.

Am I the only one who liked Luigi's Mansion 2 a lot more than the original? I mean, I still enjoyed the original one but traversing the one mansion was pretty tedious for me and catching all of those Boos was one of the most frustrating things I've ever had to do in a game. About the only thing I preferred in the original were the boss battles and their unique designs

For sure. But seriously I'll be really surprised if both of those games will come to Switch and if they will I want to see how downgraded would they be.
Kingdom Hearts III doesn't seem like the most demanding of games, especially if you compare it to the likes of Final Fantasy XV or even Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I'd honestly be more surprised if the game would need to be significantly downgraded

For sure. But seriously I'll be really surprised if both of those games will come to Switch and if they will I want to see how downgraded would they be.
I would be too and I want to see how it look. Im not gon be shitting on the downgrade for the ineveitable future though. Id be buying it on Xbox anyway.

Oregano

Oh sure, I expect timed PS4 exclusivity too and maybe full exclusivity if the game doesn't sell. I think FFVIIR will be a similar case too, PS4's getting a window for sure.

You're right on TSCHD, dunno why I thought it was UE4 but it's Unity 5.

FFVIIR was announced as "first on Playstation 4" or something like that. I'm not sure whether they mean it will come to XBO/PC/Switch or what though.

It's worth bearing in mind that Switch has been rumoured to get a (timed) exclusive remake of FFVI. It's possible they swap between PS4 and Switch.

EDarkness

Most 3rd party games with this PR translates to: "If it sells and we see an audience, we'll be there"

Still better than "This isn't selling AND the hardware is shit!" lol

If the NS gains traction out of the gate, they'll put ME:A on it. That will be true for a lot of games, honestly.

Kouriozan

giphy.gif

Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't going to come to the Switch.

I'd bet on it.
I'd say Square wil try at least one Kingdom Heart game on Switch, their other Nintendo portables got half of the game + they saw FF XV bombing on PS4 (in Japan) + numerous rumors about how it's easy to port games on Switch. "I'd bet on it"
Now let's see which one.

Oh and Nintendo is likely to market the Switch as an handheld that can connect to the TV there.

NateDrake

If the NS gains traction out of the gate, they'll put ME:A on it. That will be true for a lot of games, honestly.

It will certainly increase the odds of it happening. Not sure why anyone was surprised by the reports of ME:A skipping Switch, at least initially.

Scrawnton

That was my main problem with it as well but it seems it was designed that way because it was a handheld game. It's understandable, but it's actually my main concern for Switch games, there is a chance that Nintendo choose to design some of its titles with handheld mode in mind first.
You shouldn't be worried. Nintendo developed more complex and complicated games for 3DS than they did for Wii U.

I would think they could have kept the missions, yet still allowed you to freely explore each mansion rather than teleporting you out after completing each objective. Maybe that would have taken up too much RAM or something, I dunno.

Also, most of the boss battles sucked, and I still have nightmares about those stairs...

Nudull

Banned
Doubt it'll happen but I would actually think KH finds success on Switch. Not so much Mass Effect.

We'll be lucky to just get the HD Kingdom Hearts ports. At least Square wouldn't half-ass it the way EA did with only giving us the third game in a connected trilogy.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Not waiting not interested in ME:A At all
Puishers and games / series that wont be there in the first 9 months wont come neither later on imho
It woudnt make sense
Life cycle will be crunched in between Pro, Scorpio and Ps5 that are more attractive for certain demographics

KH instead could come
They put only spinoffs on Nintendo handheld but in the hybrid concept has some value is in shadowing the boundaries between main chapters and spinoffs (attrattive for publishers ) and between Nintendo portable and home consoles (attractive for nintendo)

They should pursue the goal of. ..switching. ..the paradigma otherwise the very same concept of the switch is useless

About luigis mansion I really hope to see it announced alongside pikmin 4. These are the games I want from them (apart Fire emblem )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom