• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch doesn't support Optical Audio out....

hlhbk

One of the biggest complaints I had heard about both the Wii and Wii U was the lack of an optical audio out port. It is something that stopped myself and from what I have read a lot of others being able to hook up their systems to their 5.1 surround sound systems.

After doing some research today it appears the Switch also doesn't support this feature. I mean seriously Nintendo? Some of us have quality 5.1 setups that don't support HDMI audio and your competition both have this feature. It won't stop my preorder but Nintendo's lack of including features that should be a given are maddening.

Jonnax

Optical audio is an old port. It's like asking why you don't have composite/component/s-video/scart on a brand new console.

HDMI has superceeded it, if you require it, you can buy a convertor.

Frodo

It wasn't on the Wii not on the Wii U. Why would you ever expect it to be supported now? Are you also expecting a Ethernet port?

Bsigg12

Neither of their previous consoles support it. There was nothing there to give any hope for them supporting it with the Switch.

Also the PS4 Slim dropped optical support as well.

McDougles

Are we talking about the same optical audio that was around in the 80's? I'm genuinely not an audiophile, so I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

KageMaru

One of the biggest complaints I had heard about both the Wii and Wii U was the lack of an optical audio out port. It is something that stopped myself and from what I have read a lot of others being able to hook up their systems to their 5.1 surround sound systems.

After doing some research today it appears the Switch also doesn't support this feature. I mean seriously Nintendo? Some of us have quality 5.1 setups that don't support HDMI audio and your competition both have this feature. It won't stop my preorder but Nintendo's lack of including features that should be a given are maddening.

The bolded is exactly why they continue to make these stupid moves.

Dylan

Don't people generally just HDMI into another device that connects to your receiver?

I wouldn't know, I've never been able to afford anything beyond a couple of computer speakers. But I'm sorry you have to go through this OP. Persevere man.

goldenpp72

Well I mean, the Wii and Wii U didn't, so let's be real. It's a bit of a shame but thankfully, I do have an adapter that can split sound from HDMI to Optical for my system that doesn't support normal HDMI pass through.

molnizzle

If you still rely on optical out then you don't have a "quality 5.1 setup," sorry. It's time to upgrade. It's been time to upgrade since about 2012.

Atheerios

Nintendo for the first time is using cutting-edge technology for their connectors (USB-C). But people will always complain.

Wootball

I dislike pretty much every decision Nintendo have made, but this isn't one of them. Optical as a method of outputting audio is dead.

LAA

Is it considered a legacy port? I'd be screwed without it for PS4 Pro. Can hook it up to my PC speakers using it.
It probably isn't a big deal though mostly. Especially compared to most of Nintendo's other problems.

dralla

I use optical out on my PS4 and Xbox because I use headphones. Opitcal > DAC > Headphones. No optical sucks

Neo_Geo

Banned
Wasn't an issue on the Wii U, not an issue now. The Wii not have one was an actual issue worthy of discussion, that was clearly Nintendo being cheap with what was a fairly standard port in 2006

I miss the optical out as well. Since I use a monitor I use the optical out on my Xbox One to get audio into my headset. As someone else pointed out there are adapters that will pass HDMI through while grabbing audio and outputting it via optical.

Is it considered a legacy port? I'd be screwed without it for PS4 Pro. Can hook it up to my PC speakers using it.
It probably isn't a big deal though mostly. Especially compared to most of Nintendo's other problems.

Yep. surround over HDMI has been a thing since at least the PS3 hit the market 10+ years ago.

Optical also won't carry the advanced surround formats like dolby true HD, etc.

very few consumers still need/prefer that port.

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont really get the "its old!" posts. I mean, sure, its old, but both PS4 and Xbox One have it. I'm pretty sure that both Xbox Scorpio and PS5 will also have it.

NekoFever

It doesn't support digital coaxial, component or s-video either. Consoles have been doing audio over HDMI for over a decade and it's been clear which way things are going. Time to upgrade.

One of the biggest complaints? Really?

And you have a precedent of two systems without it, and you're still surprised and upset when the third doesn't?

Doctre81

I don't even think you can even listen to uncompressed audio with optical anyway OP. You are in need of an upgrade regardless of switch.

That sucks you cant connect it to your setup. What are you rocking that you cant decode 5.1 from the HDMI? You could probably get an adapter to split+convert from HDMI? Just one more thing to buy for switch though :(

Top Bottom