• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch doesn't support Optical Audio out....

fernoca

Sony removed it on the PS4 Slim despite having it on the original and in the Pro , so it has nothing to do with "because Nintendo".

Doctre81

I take it you're unfamiliar with input lag then.

That audio lag doesn't happen with straight hdmi. Its one connection. Lag can happen if you are using one input for video and one for audio. He was saying that you can get lag just by using an hdmi connection on your reciever. That is not correct.

But this isn't worth the argument.

I use optical and have a fairly old TV as well. I was worried about this with the Wii U but in practice Wii U (HDMI) > TV (optical) > 5.1 receiver works fine...

It does suck to have less options but I never expected it for a hybrid console like this.

Trakan

It's really easy to use your TV as a switcher. Just connect your receiver/soundbar/whatever to your TV via optical, and connect everything else to the TV with HDMI. That way nothing else needs an optical port and you don't need a receiver with a bunch of ports either.

shandy706

I replied to him just how he replied to me. "us adults"

No, your very first post deflected his concern as if it were stupid and that he was mad for a completely different reason.

That comes across as jerkish. Any response after that is probably caused by the snarkyness of your initial response. ;)

I agree they should have included optical, as I still see it on 2017 hardware.

Example: The soundbar I just bought that is manufactured in 2016/17 does not have HDMI, but does have optical. I was also surprised my PS4 slim doesn't appear to have it.

Moving on.

It's really easy to use your TV as a switcher. Just connect your receiver/soundbar/whatever to your TV via optical, and connect everything else to the TV with HDMI. That way nothing else needs an optical port and you don't need a receiver with a bunch of ports either.

Yes, OP...you typically could/can do this.

Is there some reason you can't do this?

Doctre81

No, your very first post deflected his concern as if it were stupid and that he was mad for a completely different reason.

That comes across as jerkish. Any response after that is probably caused by the snarkyness of your initial response. ;)

I agree they should have included optical, as I still see it on 2017 hardware.

Example: The soundbar I just bought that is manufactured in 2016/17. I was also surprised my PS4 slim doesn't appear to have it.

Moving on.

Yes, OP...you can do this.

Is there some reason you can't do this?

Oh so you are gonna single me out of all the many others just for kicks. Awesome.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1175592

That is a list of all the Wii U games that actually supported 5.1. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what interface Nintendo uses if they are just going to output stereo. I sincerely doubt support would get better for something that might be marketed or internally viewed as a handheld depending on who you talk to.

That's almost all the big games.

It's a bit exaggerated of course but Receivers have had HDMI for 10 years, optical is an old, obsolete, legacy method which doesn't even have the bandwidth for uncompressed 5 channel sound IIRC.

Which Sony and Microsoft still believe has value as shown in their current pro and Xbox One S line ups still include a connection for it.

I just don't think it's just that simple when people here to basically tell others "oh just buy a new receiver", considering the price point of the switch and its peripherals isn't exactly its strong suit.

Anyways, it's just another console from Nintendo that I can't hear in 5.1 audio. A shame, because I would love to hear what Zelda sounds like in surround sound. Maybe one day.

That audio lag doesn't happen with straight hdmi. Its one connection. Lag can happen if you are using one input for video and one for audio. He was saying that you can get lag just by using an hdmi connection on your reciever. That is not correct.

You are conflating input lag with audio desync. Input lag is present on modern TVs to begin with. Running your signal through another device before running it to the TV can add an extra layer of processing, and thus lag, to the system.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Unfortunately optical can't do uncompressed audio like Dolby Digital True HD and DTS HD.

But even more than that, I have heard that many TV's optical outputs are stereo only.

58236-Now-That-s-A-Name-I-Haven-t-Heart-In-A-Long-Time.-star-Wars-Obi-wan-....gif

Doctre81

You are conflating input lag with audio desync. Input lag is present on modern TVs to begin with. Running your signal through another device before running it to the TV can add an extra layer of processing, and thus lag, to the system.

Yes and if you are using hdmi the image and the sound are coming through the same signal at the same time. So how does this affect the sound in any way if it is coming in at the same time as the picture?

Matt

The port would be added to the docking station. Theres a LAN adapter available for it, for example.

We'll see. How knows, but the PS4 Pro has it and that is less than a year old.
They also would have had to license Dolby or DTS to have 5.1 over optical. It's not just the port.

BocoDragon

We'll see. How knows, but the PS4 Pro has it and that is less than a year old.

I mean, it will get cut from all devices eventually. Whether it's next year or five years from now.

Hopefully no one in this thread is under the illusion that it's an eternally standard port.

I guess I'm baffled why headphones would use it in 2017 too.

Well, what else would it use? Unless you mean the HDMI cable should go into the headset receiver, meaning it would need another hdmi cable to go out to the tv. Hdmi cables carry a video/audio signal, while optical cables carry a digital audio signal..

HDMI is now nearly 15 years old. Some of you really need to upgrade your home theater equipment.

In order to transmit 5.1 sound over optical you need to realtime encode to DD5.1 or DTS anyways. In the early days this was commonplace but it's fallen out of favor as HDMI has become the de-facto standard for everything in the past 15 years. I'm not surprised Nintendo doesn't bother with this, the Wii U didn't support it either.

Unfortunately optical can't do uncompressed audio like Dolby Digital True HD and DTS HD.

But even more than that, I have heard that many TV's optical outputs are stereo only.

This is correct, doing optical out from tv to receiver sounds like an easy fix, except you wont get 5.1, just two channel stereo, fuck that.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I've always just used the optical passthrough on my TV for devices that don't have their own optical connection. (Also because my receiver only has one optical in port.)

KageMaru

For those calling optical a legacy port, I just bought headphones that were released this year that requires optical when using it on consoles.

tsab

Time to upgrade. There is no sound lag when using HDMI, the receiver syncs with the console. I tested it while also running the sound from the WiiU gamepad, it's syncs absolutely perfect.

Also the Switch doesn't play DVDs and Blurays :(

BocoDragon

Well, what else would it use? Unless you mean the HDMI cable should go into the headset receiver, meaning it would need another hdmi cable to go out to the tv. Hdmi cables carry a video/audio signal, while optical cables carry a digital audio signal..

Sure, you could have an HDMI output on the headphones into the receiver. Or you could run from an HDMI output on your receiver into the headphones.

It's not like consoles give you an HDMI port and an optical port specifically to help you send audio to two devices. It's merely a quirk of legacy support that they provide both, and that time is running out.

There's nothing wrong with using HDMI just for audio sources. It's not like optical was designed to exist alongside HDMI as an audio-only companion. Optical is much older than HDMI, and HDMI was designed to replace it (and analog video connections too, which it did).

test_account

XP-39C²
They also would have had to license Dolby or DTS to have 5.1 over optical. It's not just the port.
True, just wanted to point out that having it would make sense regarding the docking station :)

I mean, it will get cut from all devices eventually. Whether it's next year or five years from now.

Hopefully no one in this thread is under the illusion that it's an eternally standard port.
Sure, and of course not, but its not something thats completely outdated just yet.

Seanlole

Nintendo never supported optical audio.

It would be abolute freaking news if the switch, a home-portable hibrid system, supported it.

I don't see this as a huge deal because the Wii U already dropped it, but's it's amazing how people in threads like this constantly say "it's way out of date", "get a new receiver" when high-end gaming headsets sold on shelves today (like Astro A40s and A50s etc) use optical today, yes, in 2017. So there are valid reasons for the port to exist, not just 10 year old receivers.

I don't see this as a huge deal because the Wii U already dropped it, but's it's amazing how people in threads like this constantly say "it's way out of date", "get a new receiver" when high-end gaming headsets sold on shelves today (like Astro A40s and A50s etc) use optical today, yes, in 2017. So there are valid reasons for the port to exist, not just 10 year old receivers.
time to upgrade bro

time to let your 2016 model headsets go

FyreWulff

optical is usually the first to go in playstation/xbox revisions.. so yeah. and never been present on Nintendo hardware in the first place.

-shadow-

That is a list of all the Wii U games that actually supported 5.1. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what interface Nintendo uses if developers are just going to output stereo. I sincerely doubt support would get better for something that might be marketed or internally viewed as a handheld depending on who you talk to.
Wait... Where's the original Bayonetta? Only 2 is listed.

If for some odd reason you're buying an optical headset for hundreds of dollars, you can also afford a 20ish dollar adapter for the multitudes of devices (including modern PCs) that do not support what's considered a legacy port by the market at large.

Hattori

Banned
somewhat off-topic -- but if one truly cares about sound, please don't buy "gaming" headsets. Get a proper Headphone and DAC then get a mod mic.

BocoDragon

Again, it's not an old port. It's still the standard for headsets.

It is technically an old port. I think it debuted alongside Laserdisc?

And I feel like headsets should be using uncompressed audio since we're 11 years after that first dropped.

Dartastic

Why would it need to without optical? HDMI supports uncompressed multichannel audio, which is higher quality for us and doesn't cost anything for Nintendo. Win/win.

Or are there receivers that have HDMI but don't support PCM?
Or they're operating on old receivers that don't support PCM in general. I go from HDMI to my HDMI splitter to an older Bose surround sound system via optical. I get Dolby and DTS 5.1 sound just fine. I don't get PCM however. It sucks.

Skux

The most forward thinking thing Nintendo did with the Switch was using a USB type C port and getting rid of optical out.

If only they applied this attitude to their online multiplayer.

Top Bottom