• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch | Hardware Review Thread

Oh boy...I knew my favorite configuration was gonna be lousy...Using it at a tablet with a controller in hand sounds weak, screen is too small as I figured.

Damnit Nintendo, I'm tired of jumping through hoops to play your incredible games!

ncslamm

As a handheld, the Switch is a powerful piece of hardware with a gorgeous screen, but it's too large and power hungry to feel like you can really take it anywhere. As a console, it’s underpowered, unreliable, and lacking basic features and conveniences that all of its competitors offer. It’s nicely built and cleverly designed to be used in a variety of ways, but the bottom line is that the Switch doesn’t do any one of the many things it can do without some sort of significant compromise. Our testing will continue for the next few days as we try out the online features and other functions enabled by the day-one patch, but if I had to score it now I’d give it a 6.7.

I fuckin' LOLed. I can't stand IGN's review system. I mean, what would have made it a 6.8? Could something terrible happen with the online to drop it down a tenth of a point to a 6.6?

bomblord1

Banned
So the IGN review claims the power gap between the Switch and the Xbox One is the same as the original Wii and the 360

At the time of this writing, Nintendo has not officially confirmed the exact specifications of the Nvidia Tegra-based chipset that powers the Switch. That said, it's fairly clear that the Switch is almost as far behind the power curve of its competitors as the original Wii was when it first came out.

Airbar

Neo Member
At work right now so I can't read all the reviews. Only read the DF one so far as I trust them the most with hardware. They seem pretty positive on the Switch, albeit mentioning all the not-so-great things. So I guess a pretty fair review.
Don't get why everyones so hung up on the IGN review. Jeff Gerstmann seems pretty negative on the Switch as well, or more like torn on not knowing if he loves or hates it. But honestly he would be the last person I would ask for an honest to God assessment of a Nintendo console. Just relax guys, it's just a fucking console.

That DF review raised some pretty head-scratching design decisions. Like, why it the world would the OS UI be upscaled 720p instead of native 1080p when docked?

Sounds like I expected!

Will probably pick this up next year. It's clearly inheriting Vita's spirit but right now, is a bit too pricey for what I'm after.

The potential is there at least, which is all I need.

Am I the only one who expects hardware (that relies on software) reviews to be a bit more grungy? This is all in line what I expected.

Usability is a huge thing, and before the day one update and lack of software use case, I imagine it's naturally going to be middle of the road. Otherwise, you basically seem to end up judging the content and value rather focusing on the actual hardware.

Fireblend

Banned
Despite having a day 1 preorder I feel like any negative reviews will be particularly justified today. How are people supposed to review this with like 2 games and no online functionality whatsoever, or anything other than being able to play games and a super barebones beta-like OS?

Pretty silly to have placed an embargo on the console if the day 1 patch wasn't releasing on time, to say the least.

dracula_x

The Verge review – http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/1/14772530/nintendo-switch-review-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

The most shocking thing about the Switch might be how many obvious pitfalls Nintendo has managed to elegantly avoid. Going from playing on the tablet to the TV is completely effortless, and there's no sense of compromise whichever way you choose to play. Once you hold and use the Switch, it just makes sense.

Great hardware alone isn't enough, of course. I have little doubt Nintendo's first-party lineup will be amazing — Breath of the Wild alone is almost worth the cost of admission here — but the company's weak spots have always been continuing and expanding third-party support, as well as providing a robust online service. Those are the potential pitfalls to come.

The Switch has all the makings of something truly great. Now Nintendo just needs to support it.

jbareham_1492_170228_0097.0.jpg

jbareham_1492_170228_0049.0.jpg

I think Nintendo should be getting a lot more stick for not addressing the joycon issues.
They've got millions of terrified customers with no idea if their £280 brand new system will even work as advertised. If I wasn't a Nintendo fanboy I would have cancelled my pre-order at this point.

Fuchs

Doesn't seem that negtative to me. Glad I pre-ordered.
How was the reception of the Wii U during it's launch?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
That DF review raised some pretty head-scratching design decisions. Like, why it the world would the OS UI be upscaled 720p instead of native 1080p when docked?
Thaaaaaaaats interesting and really disappointing actually.

Wow I'm surprised the reviews are so lukewarm. Does not bode well, IMO

Doesn't seem that negtative to me. Glad I pre-ordered.
How was the reception of the Wii U during it's launch?
Thisisneogaf.gif

Kobun's review was hilarious. Not a way to launch a piece of hardware in 2017.
Are screenshots 720p or 1080p? Wonder if it has to do with that.

Jacce

Banned
The Verge written review, very positive.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/1/14772530/nintendo-switch-review-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

I think Nintendo should be getting a lot more stick for not addressing the joycon issues.
They've got millions of terrified customers with no idea if their £280 brand new system will even work as advertised. If I wasn't a Nintendo fanboy I would have cancelled my pre-order at this point.

Millions aren't terrified, hundreds at most are even vaguely aware it's a thing.

Ansatz

I just want to know how the hardware is in terms of playing games on it, I don't care about missing features or loading times in the menus. I wonder if there are other immediate issues like the joycon loosing connection which would directly impact gameplay. Since I will be getting a pro controller anyway and plan to play Zelda in TV mode, this particular issue doesn't affect me. Are there other problems like that or am I set for a flawless experience with Zelda on Switch? Stuff like the eShop can wait, I don't mind if the system is incomplete at launch in that sense.

Seik

Banned
What a dumb idea to lift an embargo when you're not even distributing the patch that would enable a full review.

Joycon issues, flimsy kickstand, poor battery life combined with a dearth of content at this point.

-Joycon issue is inexcusable indeed, this is by far the biggest problem here.
-You took the CNET kickstand video seriously?
-It's not scientifically possible to do better with the battery, unless we find a technology superior to Lithium-Ion. However, I agree that the time it lasts is rather short.

Sounds like I expected!

Will probably pick this up next year. It's clearly inheriting Vita's spirit but right now, is a bit too pricey for what I'm after.

The potential is there at least, which is all I need.

I don't expect Nintendo to decrease on pricing. They barely even have sales on their games.

What a dumb idea to lift an embargo when you're not even distributing the patch that would enable a full review.

A patch doesn't change hardware.

Agreed. This does not favor them to allow these before the console was a little more fleshed out in its features.

Well considering every single review says, a patch is coming and we cant use half the functionality yet, but yea the hardware is great and it works, but don't know the rest of the features. Foolhardy to me.

dracula_x

Ars Technica review – https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/nintendo-switch-review/

The Good

• Extremely thin portable form factor makes the system quite easy to pick up and play.
  • 6.2-inch, 720p screen is easily the most beautiful display ever on a portable game console.
  • Breath of the Wild is a potential system seller, even if it's available on another system.
  • Holding two Joy-Cons completely separately in two hands is a revelation.
  • HD rumble haptics are a cute party trick.

The Bad

• Three-ish hours of portable battery life on high-end games could have you hunting for outlets.
  • As a TV-based console, the system is underpowered compared to similarly priced competition.
  • Extremely tiny shoulder buttons get in their own way.
  • Holding the Joy-Con horizontally is an invite to hand cramp city.
  • The left Joy-Con frequently disconnects when playing on a docked console.
  • Initial software support is neither deep nor broad, and the future is uncertain.
  • The incredibly flimsy kickstand can snap off quite easily.

The Ugly

• Having to wait a few more months for the true Super Mario 64 follow-up we've been craving for years.

Verdict: Definitely don't buy it as your first and only console. As a second console, consider holding off until the end of the year unless you simply can't live without a fully portable Zelda right this very moment.

Mohonky

Review scores for hardware is such a strange concept to me.

At a launch yeh, you can only really review hardware at the end of its cycle, its like reviewing a movie based off a trailer.

24shrs from now I'll be on my way home from EB games with a Switch and LE Zelda, so Im good. If it has as many games the quality of the Wii I, it'll be a massive success to me, loved that system. Whether its a commercial success or not isnt relevent to me, just that Nintendo continues as is or better.

Brofield

I'm still confident in my purchase, and I'm glad to own the Master Edition of Zelda.

But yeah, these reviews seem to enforce my idea of telling my friends to wait until October or so. You'll have five main 1st party titles (Zelda, Mario, MK8, Splatoon 2 and ARMS), a ton of indies, (hopefully) a good selection of 3rd party titles, and a much stronger userbase. Really, the only thing you're gonna miss out on is the free online, but even then you'll get a stronger idea of if it's worth paying or not from everyone else for $20ish a year

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's actually false but I guess this thread is more fond of doom and gloom.

Nothing to see here, see you tomorrow.

Bye, I guess?

Most of the reactions are "It's the coolest Nintendo console ever but really undercooked at launch".

Which is not such a negative thing if you think it through. Because with time might become great.

How are so many people just hoping over the positive reviews and just reading the negative ones? Everyone makes it sound like doom and gloom in here.

Thanks for the great OT, Dystify! I'm very busy today, but also very curious about the Switch, and the summary the thread provides is perfect for me right now.

phanphare

Banned
sounds like what we all knew

the Switch is a thoroughly enticing piece of hardware that just need more software

sounds like it'll start really gaining momentum over the summer in Japan and leading up to the holidays in North America

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm starting to think that Nintendo really is executing the strategy theorized about by a few commentators. Do a soft launch of the Switch and let the hardcore get theirs, stock up big games for the next 8 months, then really push it at christmas after a major OS update that rolls out the full online network and features.

Right now the system really does seem like a blank slate that does nothing but play Zelda. That just screams "early adopter product".

Kobun's review was hilarious. Not a way to launch a piece of hardware in 2017.

Are screenshots 720p or 1080p? Wonder if it has to do with that.

I don't remember if it was mentioned in the video review but he did say they screenshots are saved as JPEGs. Is there a PNG option buried somewhere?

Kureransu

I would say it's also and equally dumb idea to "review" it when you are well aware everything won't be available before March 3rd.

The Verge written review, very positive.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/1/14772530/nintendo-switch-review-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

Millions aren't terrified, hundreds at most are even vaguely aware it's a thing.

Why is nobody talking about this review? Again these hardware reviews are hilarious. I can pull up hardware reviews for Wii U, DS, 3DS, PS4 and X1 to see how many people said don't buy those hardware. That should be the common review anyways.

Dang N64 only launched with Super Mario 64 and Pilogwings so that was a don't buy.

lt519

Nothing new, only people really enthusiastic about new tech should buy new tech. System is a bit bare bones for now, but if you are just into games that shouldn't be a big deal.

Seik

Banned
I'm starting to think that Nintendo really is executing the strategy theorized about by a few commentators. Do a soft launch of the Switch and let the hardcore get theirs, stock up big games for the next 8 months, then really push it at christmas after a major OS update that rolls out the full online network and features.

Right now the system really does seem like a blank slate that does nothing but play Zelda. That just screams "early adopter product".

Yeah, it definitely is a soft launch, Zelda and Bomberman aside, I'll only have indies to cover-up the lack of software until MK8.

I would say it's also and equally dumb idea to "review" it when you are well aware everything won't be available before March 3rd.

Indeed, but Nintendo has the big end of the stick here, they decided when to lift the embargo. I put the fault on them on this one.

Top Bottom