• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch | Hardware Review Thread

I think the New/Lite/2.0 or whatever of the switch will fix a lot of this stuff a couple years down the line.

Yup, I'm expecting a nice revision that increases battery life and maybe slim down the unit. If it wasn't for Mario this year, I would have likely wait until next year for Switch.

Freeman76

Not waiting does not diminish the greatness of the system. We are still going to have all those games anyways.

Nice bit of hyperbole there, greatness is pushing the boat out!

After reading the reviews Im glad I decided to wait til later in the year/early next year. Nothing about this console makes me want it day one, apart from Zelda of course but I have a Wii U for that.

zoukka

Played with Switch today and I thought the joycon analog sticks were pretty bad. Like they are just too small and their movement range is too short for accurate aiming...

Big disappointment.

It just looks exactly the same. A lot of people think this but I mean it happens they need the sequel ready for Japan.
I know it's you but it doesn't look exactly the same.
Improved visuals, more weapons, new stages, new story mode, new hairstyles, etc...
We've gone over this a hundred times, please find new material.

Majine

Banned
Played with Switch today and I thought the joycon analog sticks were pretty bad. Like they are just too small and their movement range is too short for accurate aiming...

Big disappointment.

I think the Pro controller is a good investment in the long run for "Console mode".

greelay

It's absolutely mandatory for any game that requires accurate camera controls. Which is too bad since it costs so fucking much!

It is way too overpriced, i think. Really hoping I can play comfortably with the joycons so i do not have to buy a pro controller right away.

gamerMan

Parts of the IGN review didn't make sense to me. He makes it sound that Zelda doesn't perform well at all. Does Zelda really seldom make it to 30FPS? I've heard that it is mostly at 30 FPS with a few drops here and there and they don't effect your enjoyment.

The whole argument that it doesn't fit into an entertainment center is silly. Why would you put it on the second shelf when you know you have to pull it out. How else would Nintendo make it hybrid? It is not trying to be a traditional console.

guek

Banned
It's absolutely mandatory for any game that requires accurate camera controls. Which is too bad since it costs so fucking much!

It is way too overpriced, i think. Really hoping I can play comfortably with the joycons so i do not have to buy a pro controller right away.
It's obviously too much lost revenue but I think the Switch should have come with one as a standard to really drive home the hybrid nature of the console. Nintendo didn't even include a charging grip though so...

Gleethor

Yikes that ign review.

TalentAlwaysWins in every Switch thread like

SlU6lRu.gif

NFreak

Big disappointment.

Man I had the exact opposite impression. They definitely have a smaller movement range than normal controllers but it still felt better than my Vita which I had no issues with either. For the size of those controllers I found in perfectly serviceable.

Not discounting your opinion at all just sharing my thoughts as well. I think if you're ok with the vita sticks you'll be fine here.

HeelPower

The price is a disaster man.

The console is so barebones and simply requires peripherals to function flexibly.

A pro-controller,extra memory and an undocked charging solution for the joy cons.

This is nearly $600 here in canada when all is said and done.

By all logical metrics,this thing is set up for failure.

This is very reminiscent of the Vita in some ways.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

The console is so barebones and simply requires peripherals to function flexibly.

A pro-controller,extra memory and an undocked charging solution for the joy cons.

Preorder cancelled.

I mean honestly, are you serious or just incredibly LTTP?

Nah. You don't need any of those things, and Sony left Vita to die.

NFreak

Yes I am serious.

This all I could get looking at the reviews.

And no,I dont intrinsically hate Nintendo.

Unless you're going all digital you don't need a storage solution. Maybe down the line if you buy a lot of indie downloadables. Many reviews say the joycon grip is just fine. After trying it I'm inclined to agree (although I am still getting a Pro controller myself). And I have no idea why you'd want the charging grip. Seems unnecessary considering the battery life of the joycons and the ability to charge when docked.

None of that stuff is necessary. If you deem them necessary that's up to you but "flexibility" is definitely not something lacking with what comes with the Switch.

random25

You only need all the items in the box to play every game on the system either on TV or on the go.

Peripherals just add more flexibility to an already flexible system. It already allows 2 players by default, has the same layout as a pro controller just without the usual d-pad, and you can just charge the joycons by attaching it to the Switch.

The only thing that's almost necessary is the SD card, especially for e-shoppaholics or for future patches. That's just really about it.

daxgame

you really don't need any of those. I have a WiiU with the 3/4 Xenoblade speedups installed, Child of Light and several VC games. Never attached any external device.
If you plan to go or buy digital, sure, you might need a micro SD. Hardly at launch.
The Pro controller is not "required" by any means. If anything, it ships with two controllers
The undocked charging... wtf? The Joycons last 20 hours lol

NA48

Neo Member
I think these reviews are kind of interesting -- most claim the Switch is either a great handheld (possibly the best ever?) or a mediocre/underpowered console (6.7/10). Some try to make a comment on both fronts, but a lot of the reviewers miss what I think two of the biggest points about the switch are:

-- The hybrid handheld/console idea is basically new, or at least has never been executed anywhere close to as well to this. It's a new kind of device, which doesn't quite check all the boxes of a traditional handheld of console ... but everyone seems to agree that the Switch does "what it's meant to do" very well. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think that some of the more negative reviews come from people who wanted this to be Nintendo's answer to the PS4 and instead got Nintendo's answer to their own in-house problems ... (see point 2)

-- The unification of Nintendo's handheld and console development teams and cycles is a huge breakthrough for both them, and us (the people who play their games). One of the biggest problems during the 3DS/WiiU era was that their resources were obviously split. Sometimes the WiiU was getting tons of support, sometimes the 3DS was, but rarely did it feel like both platforms were hitting simultaneous homeruns with software. Nintendo's solved this problem for themselves, by creating just a single device to support from here. Imagine if every WiiU and 3DS game had been playable on a single device: Animal Crossing, Mario 3D World, the HD Zeldas, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Pokemon, Pikmin ... this could have been the greatest software lineup ever. This fusion is massive, and it's the biggest reason why I'm pretty sure the Switch is going to be just fine.

Bluth54

-- The unification of Nintendo's handheld and console development teams and cycles is a huge breakthrough for both them, and us (the people who play their games). One of the biggest problems during the 3DS/WiiU era was that their resources were obviously split. Sometimes the WiiU was getting tons of support, sometimes the 3DS was, but rarely did it feel like both platforms were hitting simultaneous homeruns with software. Nintendo's solved this problem for themselves, by creating just a single device to support from here. Imagine if every WiiU and 3DS game had been playable on a single device: Animal Crossing, Mario 3D World, the HD Zeldas, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Pokemon, Pikmin ... this could have been the greatest software lineup ever. This fusion is massive, and it's the biggest reason why I'm pretty sure the Switch is going to be just fine.

I think this is honestly going to be one of the biggest strengths of the Switch (even though we aren't seeing it yet and we're still seeing some exclusive 3DS software after the Switch comes out).

It's the reason I'm excited about the Switch, all the 3DS/Wii U games on just one console. It could make for a fantastic library. Nintendo is still saying they're going to continue to supprt the 3DS etc. It's why I hope the Switch does well in Japan, so they can comfortable put all their eggs in the Switch basket.

trixx

Yeah this console doesn't seem complete out of the box. You have to add these accessories and soon online. Extremely expensive console imo. I mean the value proposition is still better than the 3ds and Wii u but still. Thankfully there's no additional proprietary technology required

I think many are just now coming to terms with this. Had to trade in some Wii u games to lighten the blow

Goodlife

Yeah this console doesn't seem complete out of the box. You have to add these accessories and soon online. Extremely expensive console imo. I mean the value proposition is still better than the 3ds and Wii u but still.

I think many are just now coming to terms with this. Had to trade in some Wii u games to lighten the blow

Just a question... How many other consoles come with 2 player ability out of the box?

Buy a Switch, take a deep breath, play some Zelda, and then decide what else you want to add to your system, if anything. Take two minutes for some introspection on whether you want to pay a premium to add an extra feature or whether it's too expensive for what you'd get.

mocoworm

After I read all the reviews last night I legit cancelled my Amazon Pre-Order.

Before you go all mental on me, let me say I was SUPER PUMPED for having a Switch on Launch day. I have had my pre-order in from the day you could pre-order.

However, after reading and watching ALL the reviews I could, in full, I realized that I want to get hands on with one before I buy. To use, play and know how it feels in my hands to be absolutely sure that I want to drop so much ££ when I already own an XONE, PS4, VITA and will 100% be buying a SCORPIO on launch day.

A huge number of factors swayed my decision but the main one is that I firmly believe that Nintendo will make some hardware revisions very soon due to the feedback from the early adopters, and many of the reviews from sites that I trust say that if you can, you should wait a while before buying due to the issues they have come across.

Also, apart from the Zelda I pre-odered, I can totally wait until more software drops. I am not desperate to play it day 1. It would have been nice, but I am not a kid anymore that MUST have it immediately.

I will be pouring over GAF and other sites to see the real user hands on opinions as well as going to a local store and playing one. I could end up buying one next week if I love what I see / experience.

Anyway, my post is to really say that to all those that are receiving theirs tomorrow, I hope you have a blast and love the console. I will be reading all your posts.

So you need a fair bit of space above the switch unit. This is going to hard finding a place in my entertainment unit. Since it's small I'll just leave it on the floor then put it somewhere when not in use.

It has its flaws, it has its greatness. If you did not want one anyway or only want to bitch about, you will put much weight into the flaws. Other way around if you want one.

Good fuel for both haters and defenders. Tedious to read. I know what bothers me and what doesn't.

NA48

Neo Member
It's the reason I'm excited about the Switch, all the 3DS/Wii U games on just one console. It could make for a fantastic library. Nintendo is still saying they're going to continue to supprt the 3DS etc. It's why I hope the Switch does well in Japan, so they can comfortable put all their eggs in the Switch basket.

They said the same thing about the GBA when the DS was released. If the switch is even a moderate success, I think they'll drop the DS line sooner rather than later. It makes things easier for them, too.

An exclusive mainline Pokemon on the Switch this year could be all it would take to nail the 3DS's coffin closed. I doubt they would be that confident, but it might happen.

ekim

I received my Switch. (Is there any OT coming up or should I do an Impressions thread or something?)
img_08982bucc.jpg

initial thoughts after an hour with it:
+ everything is sooooo smooth and responsive
+ love the click audio from the tablet when you slide in the joyCons
+ dat boot screen
+ virtually no loading times
+ standby is also fast. It's basically pickup and play like with your Smartphone
+ everything feels solid and high quality. The Apple comparison is apt.

- WiFi is weak. All my other devices have full reception whereas the Switch looks like this:
img_0901xqzk4.jpg

I hope this will be fixed with the day 1 update (which isn't live yet)

+- sticks feel looser than expected but this is me exclusively playing with Xbox controllers for years. Will see if I get used to it.
+- the screen looks nice but it seems like it has a slight yellow tint? Could also be just the default theme. Didn't check anything where I know it's white. And it's a bit too glossy for taste.

Will check out TV mode later when I get back home from work.

KAL2006

Banned
I received my Switch. (Is there any OT coming up or should I do an Impressions thread or something?)
img_08982bucc.jpg

initial thoughts after an hour with it:
+ everything is sooooo smooth and responsive
+ love the click audio from the tablet when you slide in the joyCons
+ dat boot screen
+ virtually no loading times
+ standby is also fast. It's basically pickup and play like with your Smartphone
+ everything feels solid and high quality. The Apple comparison is apt.

- WiFi is weak. All my other devices have full reception whereas the Switch looks like this:
img_0901xqzk4.jpg

I hope this will be fixed with the day 1 update (which isn't live yet)

+- sticks feel looser than expected but this is me exclusively playing with Xbox controllers for years. Will see if I get used to it.
+- the screen looks nice but it seems like it has a slight yellow tint? Could also be just the default theme. Didn't check anything where I know it's white. And it's a bit too glossy for taste.

Will check out TV mode later when I get back home from work.

Can you check if you have JoyCon sync issue

daxgame

I don't carry a bag and if I did I still wouldn't put the switch in there with that exposed screen and the protruding analog stick. They aren't wrong on that issue as its a giant step down from the n3ds which to me is the pretty much handheld perfection. I get concessions have to be made since it's a hybrid but in its current form I'd never take the switch out of the house.

holy shit man just buy a case if you're concerned that much about damaging it? There's tons. Why would you deprive yourself of the portability...
granted if you literally were used to slide your 3DS in your pockets you probably won't be able to do that but all it takes is just a little backpack or a bag

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
The only place I'll be playing this thing out of its dock is in bed where it will be plugged in and charging anyway. I have absolutely no problems with the battery life. To be honest my biggest concerns are with the library of games or lack there of. Will it be gathering dust after I finish Zelda? Most likely.

Top Bottom