• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch has sold over a million units in Japan

Guymelef

is just a piece of info, nothing else.

the highlight in this list, in my opinion, is how a massive, unspeakable, apocalyptic, unheard-of failure is the Playstation 4 in Japan.

now less so but back then, holy shit, worse than WiiU, Vita, DC... it doesn't get much worse than that, you'd have to start comparing to Wonderswan and the 360 which are unsuspected lows for a Sony piece of hardware.

Seems likebyou care about first to 1M... The dissaster called PS4 than you compare to things like Wii U has sold 1.5M more...

Also Switch is the slowest selling Nintendo handheld.

Zedark

Guessing it's something to do with mobile

Logically, I would think that handheld gaming would take a much larger hit from mobile gaming than console gaming. I remember that people in the Media Create thread said at some point that Japanese lifestyle and housing is/has become very unsuited for console gaming, meaning a shift to portable and mobile gaming happened/was inevitable. That's a more likely catalyst for this specific development than mobile gaming itself imo.

Selling the same as the N64 in Japan is respectable?

Considering the Switch is a hybrid, at the very least the benchmark should be on a handheld and a console's performance (3DS and Wii U then), unless Nintendo plans to launch distinctly different hardware in the same family.

Son Of D

Ōkami;242032074 said:
Race to 1 million

GBA: 3 weeks
NDS: 4 weeks
PS2: 5 weeks
WII: 6 weeks
3DS: 13 weeks
PSP: 14 weeks
SWI: 17 weeks
NGC: 17 weeks
N64: 29 weeks
PS1: more than 30 weeks
WIU: 34 weeks
PS3: 36 weeks
PSV: 43 weeks
DC: 45 weeks
PS4: 49 weeks
I can understand the PS2, DS and Wii selling real fast, but the GBA? I never realised how big it was.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
2018 will be ridiculous once they finally overcome shortages and drop Animal Crossing....we arent ready yet.

mclem

Ōkami;242032074 said:
Race to 1 million

GBA: 3 weeks
NDS: 4 weeks
PS2: 5 weeks
WII: 6 weeks
3DS: 13 weeks
PSP: 14 weeks
SWI: 17 weeks
NGC: 17 weeks
N64: 29 weeks
PS1: more than 30 weeks
WIU: 34 weeks
PS3: 36 weeks
PSV: 43 weeks
DC: 45 weeks
PS4: 49 weeks

Xbox 360: 173, if my maths is right.
Xbox One: TBA.

mclem

Summer is also the slowest time for videogames. Even the Wii was easier to find during this time of the year. Imagine the holidays....

Out of interest, have portables historically declined less in the summer than home consoles? I'd imagine that that's the case, since it's something you can still have on you when out and about, but I've no idea if that's borne out by the facts.

samar11

Logically, I would think that handheld gaming would take a much larger hit from mobile gaming than console gaming. I remember that people in the Media Create thread said at some point that Japanese lifestyle and housing is/has become very unsuited for console gaming, meaning a shift to portable and mobile gaming happened/was inevitable. That's a more likely catalyst for this specific development than mobile gaming itself imo.

Yeh that could be it lol

deleted

Because it wasn't. Just initial hype (and supply) were huge, sales dropped after first year.

Was that really the case? Always thought the GBA sold like a beast for the little time it was actively supported - I don't know the Japan specific numbers, but it did manage to sell over 80m in 4 years - that would need pretty steady sales. Or are you excluding the SP model?

mclem

wha, Xbox 360 sold 1m in Japan?

I am legit shocked

I was originally going to just make a snarky post about "Xbox 360: TBA", but I then actually looked it up, and it passed 1M in week 16, 2009.

Media Create thread format has changed a bit over the last few years, I couldn't find Original Xbox numbers with any certainty

redcrayon

Also Switch is the slowest selling Nintendo handheld.
I'm sure Nintendo are utterly gutted at the sales performance of the Switch, which presumably has absolutely nothing to do with it being sold out for months on end because they can't make the bloody things quick enough.

Seik

Banned
What does this even mean

It's the new reason, now that there are games, people are starving for a Nintendo console. :lol

Is Japan still supply restrained? Does anyone have evidence on this?

Mega line ups at retail stores where almost nobody gets to buy one, people have to go through a lottery to have the 'chance' to spent money on the damn thing.

This was two days ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...le_standing_in_line_to_buy_a_switch_today_in/

Zedark

Is Japan still supply restrained? Does anyone have evidence on this?

I made a post today, where you can see that big shipments of Switch units sold out within the hour.

More generally, there are the raffle lines with almost 1000 people for 50-60 Switch units, and the Japanese Nintendo message to Japanese consumers that they are sorry for the supply issues and that they expect to raise shipments as of July.

Celine

Was that really the case? Always thought the GBA sold like a beast for the little time it was actively supported - I don't know the Japan specific numbers, but it did manage to sell over 80m in 4 years - that would need pretty steady sales. Or are you excluding the SP model?
More than half of those 80M were sold in the Americas which give you a clue what it was the market where GBA performed best.
In Japan GBA performed good but could have done better.

Waji

They will never have enough stock for next month. They have to catch on AND support Splatoon, then MH XX and so on...
We're not seeing the end of the lottery yet.

Because it wasn't. Just initial hype (and supply) were huge, sales dropped after first year.

?.

2001: 4.2 million
2002: 3.8 million
2003: 3.8 million
2004: 2.4 million (DS release)

I don't see huge drop before DS release. It just had ridiculously short life thanks to Nintendo rushing DS against PSP.

Anoxida

People suggesting it could sell 4 mill within end of year if stock was there, I'll have whatever u guys are having please.

ggx2ac

?.

2001: 4.2 million
2002: 3.8 million
2003: 3.8 million
2004: 2.4 million (DS release)

I don't see huge drop before DS release. It just had ridiculously short life thanks to Nintendo rushing DS against PSP.

He didn't say huge drop, he said initial hype was huge, then sales dropped the following year, so it is accurately reflected in that data.

Great sales, especially considering the supply shortages.

He didn't say huge drop, he said initial hype was huge, then sales dropped the following year, so it is accurately reflected in that data.

I mean, it's a pretty useless statement to make since a drop in sales a year after launch is expected. The drop was very minimal.

jts

...hate me...
People suggesting it could sell 4 mill within end of year if stock was there, I'll have whatever u guys are having please.

It sells out shipment after shipment since launch so there's literally no telling what's the ceiling right now.

What we can tell is that Nintendo are bleeding sales due to shortages.

sphinx

the piano man

sounds crazy but it's possible,

Switch sold 1 million in 4 months, with absolutely terrible supply.

Splatoon 2 could be the sole reason the switch would sell 500k in a matter of 2~3 weeks.

Zelda and MK will remain 2017 evergreens, they just won't leave the top 15~20 in japan.

if those 3 games and switch were readily available, Switch could be doing anything between 50k~100k per week

Q4 weeks could really get insane.

Uhh... It is? Usually you expect growth, not decline after the first year of a product's life cycle.

Yes? If you take the large launch sales along with sales for the rest of the year, it would follow that the next year would see a decline of some sort barring supply issues the first year. The GBA released in March, so it had most of the year.

Top Bottom