• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Online app now available on most Google Play and App Stores

Nintendo or Hori needs to the make the following -

Gaming Headset,
Two sets of speakers in each ear,
One set for Bluetooth to phone,
the other one cord to plug into switch.
two scroll wheels on headset, one for volume of each device.

Thats as simple as it can get right now with Nintendos implementation of voice chat.

Currently for docked I found out my Astro A40's has a aux input in the mixer, which I plugged a aux cord from my switch into. Astros plug into PC, get Discord running, Has a HDMI switcher on my PC monitor, when I turn on Switch in docked mode, automatically switches to Switch, I have voice and in game. Boom. as good as it gets right now.

_Ryo_

Didn't nintendo concede during the Star Fox Wii U era that second screen experiences distracted from gameplay on consoles, and didn't they use the same excuse as a reason to not include touch screen gamepad features to the Breathe of the Wild on Wii U?

It just seems too weird that this is the way they've chosen to implement voice/text chat considering their own stances in the past.

This silly shill post would be bad enough but you even have a Splatoon avatar. Fanboys really have no shame these days, they wear it on their sleeves.

This thread is full of "fanboys" of all kinds, and it seems most of them can not stand other opinions.

If anyone dare to say that he likes the idea of this app or even parts of Nintendos Switch online solution, there are always the same few people who offend them, even a red one, that is kind if sad.

duckroll

This thread is full of "fanboys" of all kinds, and it seems most of them can not stand other opinions.

If anyone dare to say that he likes the idea of this app or even parts of Nintendos Switch online solution, there are always the same few people who offend them, even a red one, that is kind if sad.

This is rich considering what you were last banned for on this forum.

Plesiades

Speaking of... Are they going to sell the squid-like dongle separately or you need to buy the Nintendo® Bulky Headset™ bundle?

1) I don’t know much about Bluetooth so I can’t give you a very accurate response, sadly, but doesn’t distance between the two connected devices matter?

If Bluetooth is adequate at handling multiple controller inputs already I don't understand what possible issue there would be at handling voice. I'm assuming that when I press a button on my Pro Controller and the docked Switch recognizes that I pressed a button on my Pro Controller that I must be within an acceptable range for Bluetooth communication to work.

thats basically just as bad as disconnecting

Depends, during a game you probably don't bother with other apps on phone ;) I think this is kind of security if you forget the app (°voice chat) is running in the background, but such a feature should be turned on/off in preferences, perhaps with a later update.

Emitan

Depends, during a game you probably don't bother with other apps on phone ;) I think this is kind of security if you forget the app (°voice chat) is running in the background, but such a feature should be turned on/off in preferences, perhaps with a later update.

I'm talking about it hypothetically shutting off when i lock the phone.

Sorry, I fail to see your point. They could have not listed that as a service and it’d likely be the same price. Maybe I’m thinking about your post in the wrong way?

The smartphone app is currently free as part of a free preview mode only until the paid service launches in 2018.

Did not like the idea at launch but I didn't buy Switch for online games anyway. I hope they can fix that muting issue when screen is closed. If not then it's just not acceptable. Phone drains insanely fast.

Arjayes

Banned
If Bluetooth is adequate at handling multiple controller inputs already I don't understand what possible issue there would be at handling voice. I'm assuming that when I press a button on my Pro Controller and the docked Switch recognizes that I pressed a button on my Pro Controller that I must be within an acceptable range for Bluetooth communication to work.
See? I didn’t even know that was Bluetooth. However, my tv is connected to my sound bar through Bluetooth which is directly under the TV and it disconnects all the time. Also, what about a Switch in docked mode with 8 joy cons each with a headset connected to it? You saying one Switch, one headset? One Switch 4 headsets? What’s the limit here?

I'm talking about it hypothetically shutting off when i lock the phone.

Did not like the idea at launch but I didn't buy Switch for online games anyway. I hope they can fix that muting issue when screen is closed. If not then it's just not acceptable. Phone drains insanely fast.

Wait now you cant even lock the phone?
That is truly retarded that cant be true...
And they want people playing this on the go how again? What madness...

No one knows yet, the app is not working yet and the only game that currently use it, is releasing in 2 days. :)

Just keep your phone charging the whole time. It's the most elegant solution.

Wait now you cant even lock the phone?
That is truly retarded that cant be true...
And they want people playing this on the go how again? What madness...

Maximo

Nice another cable I'll have to connect while voice chatting to keep my phone charged :))))))

MQkpGv6.png

I feel like I wasted two posts and my time replying to you when you could have just read my previous posts.

You have to pay for the app too in the future..?!

The app itself will be free. However, any functionality you would want to use it for will require the paid subscription to Nintendo's new online service.

MUnited83

For you.
See? I didn’t even know that was Bluetooth. However, my tv is connected to my sound bar through Bluetooth which is directly under the TV and it disconnects all the time. Also, what about a Switch in docked mode with 8 joy cons each with a headset connected to it? You saying one Switch, one headset? One Switch 4 headsets? What’s the limit here?
... Why would you use 8 joycons with one headset each? Why would a group of 8 local players use headsets at all?
I feel like I wasted two posts and my time replying to you when you could have just read my previous posts.

You have to pay for the app too in the future..?!
None of your posts explain why a headphone jack on the joycons would be a bad solution.

Arjayes

Banned
No. It's part of the Nintendo online service you pay for.
I lol’d, that was a good one. :p
The app itself will be free. However, any functionality you would want to use it for will require the paid subscription to Nintendo's new online service.
Ah, I see. So you can’t use it if you don’t pay. But in regards to Duckroll’s post I said ”free” when I should have said “cheap” so it was my slip-up. No problem. Now I see their point.

Patch13

It seems more likely to me that they just didn't have time to implement the background service. Behind the scenes, there's probably at least one manger who's upset about it and at least one developer who's relieved that they at least managed to deliver something that worked by the deadline. If they're a modern shop, there's probably a card in a backlog tracking it. (So agile ...)

We'll see how long it takes them to implement it. Or maybe they'll pull a YouTube Red and make running in the background a premium feature (kidding ... mostly).

Mr. F

Banned
I wonder if this gets walked back with the next major OS revision, or if the money they invested in mobile is too great to backpedal.

Top Bottom