• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Online app now available on most Google Play and App Stores

lol, I'm gonna beat this dead horse further and just WOW, this is stupid. So in order to utilize the headset you need to feed both audio from the phone and the Switch to a doo hickey that syncs the audio up.

Such adapters that combines two sources are not exactly new, or must be as ugly as this one. :) I have always such thing lying around since years because it is handy sometimes, but it seems many people did not know such things existed until now :D

Arjayes

Banned
... Why would you use 8 joycons with one headset each? Why would a group of 8 local players use headsets at all?

None of your posts explain why a headphone jack on the joycons would be a bad solution.
Maybe some developer wants to make an MMO Snipperclips? I have no idea. This is just an extreme scenario asking where you draw the line with how many devices you can connect. Other systems don’t allow 8 controllers to connect, and putting a headphone jack in each joycon would theoretically allow everyone to chat online.

My previous post asked where you would put said headphone jack that would allow all functionality to continue as well as let you comfortably hold the joycon vertically and horizontally.

All in all, I’m asking what is your solution? I’m sure R&D had this same scenario where they presented ideas and someone else said “well what about this?” then they eventually came to the conclusion that they’ll just use a smartphone. Headphone on a joycon doesn’t work because there’s nowhere to put the port.

I refuse to believe that the app doesn't work when the phone is locked. I just can't imagine Nintendo overlooked at something like this.

Maximo

I wonder if this gets walked back with the next major OS revision, or if the money they invested in mobile is too great to backpedal.

If im not mistaken the headphone jack doesn't support Mic output so its a hardware issue, something that can only be changed with a hardware revision.

Fox Mulder

MQkpGv6.png

Jesus.

Nintendo really outdid themselves. Every generation they do some dumb shit, lol.

f@luS

More than a member.
Can I just use a hands free kit from any phone I have or even my iPhone headset for chatting while keeping the audio on the system ? When I play on tv

But damn this solution looks atrocious when playing handheld

MUnited83

For you.
Maybe some developer wants to make an MMO Snipperclips? I have no idea. This is just an extreme scenario asking where you draw the line with how many devices you can connect. Other systems don’t allow 8 controllers to connect, and putting a headphone jack in each joycon would theoretically allow everyone to chat online.

My previous post asked where you would put said headphone jack that would allow all functionality to continue as well as let you comfortably hold the joycon vertically and horizontally.

All in all, I’m asking what is your solution? I’m sure R&D had this same scenario where they presented ideas and someone else said “well what about this?” then they eventually came to the conclusion that they’ll just use a smartphone. Headphone on a joycon doesn’t work because there’s nowhere to put the port.
False, Xbox One allows for 8 controllers just fine.
Regarding position, that's pretty easy. Put it where it's most comfortable when using in a horizontal position. You don't need to make it comfortable for every single position possible. Shit, all Nintendo did with this horrendous "solution" is guarantee that it will be more uncomfortable than a headphone jack in a joycons would ever be. All they needed to do was headphone jacks that would be good in standard handheld mode and docked mode. That's all it needed to not be completely terrible.

HowZatOZ

Banned
It's so weird seeing Nintendo succeed on the front of Switch being so amazing and successful then having this jarring experience when it comes to voice chat. I'm just glad I have never been interested in console voice chat and stick to Discord on PC.

The permissions requested on android are worth a look.
Nintendo Co. said:
Version 1.0.4 can access:

Photos/Media/Files
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Storage
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Microphone
  • record audio
Other
  • capture audio output
  • receive data from Internet
  • view network connections
    [*]pair with Bluetooth devices
  • full network access
  • change your audio settings
  • control vibration
    [*]prevent device from sleeping

It definitely seems like they dont want your device to sleep while the app is in use.
Bluetooth pairing is a weird one? Maybe that, along with storage permissions is for transferring screenshots? Cant see what else Bluetooth would be needed for?

MUnited83

For you.

It definitely seems like they dont want your device to sleep while the app is in use.
Bluetooth pairing is a weird one? Maybe that, along with storage permissions is for transferring screenshots? Cant see what else Bluetooth would be needed for?
Bluetooth headsets
Very useful for people who want to exclusively hear voice chat and have the game essentially muted lmao

You can, voice chat just gets temp disabled. Just like how any other app works. It gets suspended then loads the other app. When you're done with the app, it wakes the app back up.

Discord is laughing very hard right now.

Jesus is that bad, Nintendo gonna be Nintendo.

Wollan

Well I'm going to do like most in regards to Switch Online:
  • Play random multiplayer matches in 2017, no player communication.
  • Otherwise consider the service non-existent.
  • 2018 subscription is not even a consideration without built-in voice communication etc.

Mezoly

Storage permission could be used for different purposes. Log files for crashes, Audio file recording storage, databases/cache files, etc.
The never sleep permission is not necessary for voice chat. It could be they have games/graphics within the app that they don't want the phone to sleep during them. For Bt pairing and audio they don't need to keep the phone on for those.

MrGameBoy

Regarding position, that's pretty easy. Put it where it's most comfortable when using in a horizontal position. You don't need to make it comfortable for every single position possible. Shit, all Nintendo did with this horrendous "solution" is guarantee that it will be more uncomfortable than a headphone jack in a joycons would ever be. All they needed to do was headphone jacks that would be good in standard handheld mode and docked mode. That's all it needed to not be completely terrible.

If only the IR camera on the Joy-Con R could be replaced with a headphone jack, and even then it would make that setup even more uncomfortable. Reminds me of holding the Wii Remote NES-style with a Nunchuk/Classic Controller connected (when playing Runbow locally).

It's the people defending this shit that makes this thread a trash pile

I'm a Nintendo fan first and foremost. I will bend over backwards to make damn sure I get a new Nintendo console day one, even if it's a pain in the ass, I can't even afford it, and there's nothing to play anyway. They've published every single game that I've considered my favorite of all time, the latest of which just released 4 months ago.

But it will never cease to astound me how far some Nintendo fans will go to defend anything and everything Nintendo does, no matter what it is. It's like for some folks Nintendo is their god and finding any fault is sacrilegious.

Honestly though, I'm fairly certain many hardcore Nintendo fans have never tried or even looked into other consoles, because half the time the shit I hear is somewhere between outright absurd and patently false. They're just in their own little worlds, and refuse to accept that somewhere out there someone else did it better than Nintendo.
well over a ago

Jesus.

Nintendo really outdid themselves. Every generation they do some dumb shit, lol.

To be fair, I don't believe that's not Nintendo's solution, it's a third party solution.

Because Nintendo doesn't have a solution.

Discord closes when you get a call or try to watch a video for me. And it doesn't even come back automatically, I have to force stop it and restart it.

Yeah, of course, thats normal, (and it comes back automatically) but you can use it in the background with other apps, seems like you can't use voice chat on the Nintendo app in the background at all?

By the way, is that new?

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo...ch-Online/Nintendo-Switch-Online-1183143.html

Paid service won't start this fall, it's free until 2018.

Discord closes when you get a call or try to watch a video for me. And it doesn't even come back automatically, I have to force stop it and restart it.
Discord doesnt close, the user prioritizes the call audio or video audio over it, it cant magically start playing both audios at the same time, its a native os feature (which discord can choose to override should they wish it)
Stop spreading misinformation, what nintendo is doin is nothing like that, its actively stopping you from putting your phone screen tp sleep or use any other apps. Thats bizarrely stupid if true.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I want to use my usual Senheiser cans, is there a way to buy the hori dongle separately, or some other similar mixer?

Patch13

It's always interesting to see the contrast between the solutions people come up with when they're picking apart a finished thing vs. the solutions they come up with when they're making the thing. Everything is a lot easier when you can handwave away constraints and caveats.

Good point, well said, is what in saying. Though apparently we are both interfering with a good and proper griping thread. (And/or helping the griping along by providing contrasting posts. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.)

I'm a Nintendo fan first and foremost. I will bend over backwards to make damn sure I get a new Nintendo console day one, even if it's a pain in the ass, I can't even afford it, and there's nothing to play anyway. They've published every single game that I've considered my favorite of all time, the latest of which just released 4 months ago.

But it will never cease to astound me how far some Nintendo fans will go to defend anything and everything Nintendo does, no matter what it is. It's like for some folks Nintendo is their god and finding any fault is sacrilegious.

Honestly though, I'm fairly certain many hardcore Nintendo fans have never tried or even looked into other consoles, because half the time the shit I hear is somewhere between outright absurd and patently false.

Why does Nintendo get called out when fanboys for other companies do the same? The biggest fanboys of any company will defend their company and play spin doctor.

Andyliini

Gold Member
Why does Nintendo get called out when fanboys for other companies do the same? The biggest fanboys of any company will defend their company and play spin doctor.

Because it's the cool thing to do. On Internet, it gains you swag and attention, which many people need to survive these days.

On topic, I was able to install this from Google Play in Finland. My phone is Honor 8, so that type of phone works perfectly. Will see more on Friday, when I can log into it.

Because this is a thread about Nintendo stupidity containing Nintendo fanboys saying dumb shit, not a thread about other companies. Additionally, I never indicated that other groups didn't do the same, so was it really necessary to whip out #bothsides?

It's so weird seeing Nintendo succeed on the front of Switch being so amazing and successful then having this jarring experience when it comes to voice chat. I'm just glad I have never been interested in console voice chat and stick to Discord on PC.

It honestly feels like they're trying to push people away from online gaming with how poor their efforts have been. And yet there's still people defending this nonsense ITT. Maybe they have magical phone batteries that never die.

deleted

Could also be that Bluetooth is being patched in on the switch so that you can pair your cellphone and get ingame sound over the online app?

Might be a long shot, but 8bitdo also has Bluetooth speakers lined up for release that wouldn't make sense without Bluetooth communication to the switch.

Beartruck

"Your device isn't compatible with this version". I can't download this app, so i flat out can't even run the service. Fuck you Nintendo.

Arjayes

Banned
Everyone holds the joycons vertically (since that’s how they attach to the console). In the trailer in order to play Skyrim on a plane they were vertical, in order to play NBA Live with friends the joycons were horizontal. You gotta support both.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If this truly only works when the app is active on unlocked phones, this is probably the worst implementation of online connectivity i've ever seen.
Holy shit, it's like they actively work against creating an online community.

Shiggy

Could also be that Bluetooth is being patched in on the switch so that you can pair your cellphone and get ingame sound over the online app?

Might be a long shot, but 8bitdo also has Bluetooth speakers lined up for release that wouldn't make sense without Bluetooth communication to the switch.

What makes you think that those speakers are specifically made for Switch? They work with Switch via cable.

MUnited83

For you.
Everyone holds the joycons vertically (since that’s how they attach to the console). In the trailer in order to play Skyrim on a plane they were vertical, in order to play NBA Live with friends the joycons were horizontal. You gotta support both.

Which you still can do by locating the headphone jack on the side that it doesn't attach to...

Cyanity

Banned
If this truly only works when the app is active on unlocked phones, this is probably the worst implementation of online connectivity i've ever seen.
Holy shit, it's like they actively work against creating an online community.

I imagine that would be patched fairly quickly, no?

edit - I still don't see how this app is any better than discord for team play, though.

Top Bottom