• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch online play paywall live on 2nd half of September

CeeJay

Do you pay Microsoft 10 dollars a month for your harrdive to work?
What???? You missed my point entirely, I'll elaborate. My point was that just because one company does it first doesn't mean that when everyone else does the same it's because the first company did it. Sometimes a market/product can have a direction of travel That all will take eventually, it doesn't matter who does It first, they will all adopt that particular thing at some point (like all console having a HDD). I think that for a console to provide a premium online service at the quality that people expect that it is going to have to have a fee. I know that there is always the "free on PC" argument but its not like that comes without its downsides as well such as widespread cheating.

Personally I think that Microsoft's long term plan is to merge GamePass and Live Gold and offer exactly the same service across all devices (including PC) and charge the same subscription fee. Hopefully at that point this whole argument about MS charging for online will become moot.

Can't wait to play all those amazing NES games. Who cares about their other consoles when you can play Super Mario Brothers for the 158th time.

How can a thread about nintendo online turn into a anti MS thing for most.... this is another reason why gamers are never seen as mature. Every company does its best to monetize every part of their business.... the end.

manfestival

We can all thank Microsoft and the original xbox for this. Also on that note, thank you microsoft for creating an ecosystem where its ok to force a game to install on your system and waste away an hour of my life.

Iaterain

NIntendo is going to ban all its consumers from multiplayer games
that they bought if they refuse to pay a yearly ransom.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but not Microsoft nor Sony did anything like that.
It is unprecedented situation in the history.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
That's a bit of an exaggeration. We were made aware of this from the start, that online play would be part of a paid subscription on switch. It's not like they just sprung this on us all of a sudden.

It's the exact save thing on all systems, only Nintendo was incapable of launching the service on the day of the device's release.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's a bit of an exaggeration. We were made aware of this from the start, that online play would be part of a paid subscription on switch. It's not like they just sprung this on us all of a sudden.

It's the exact save thing on all systems, only Nintendo was incapable of launching the service on the day of the device's release.

"We" are aware... your average gamer that makes up the majority of most console userbase probably does not. This is something that should have been announced at the Switch reveal, just like MS did at the 360 reveal, and Sony did at the PS4 reveal when the exposure to the masses it at it's highest.

Now I am not going to say they should not have paid online, they are just following the revenue stream the other's have done as well (and if it causes more stability which is tough task since it is WiFi only device then great), but how they are handling it, especially with the no other way to back-up saves is less than desirable.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned

If I stop my PS+ subscription I am also effectively banned from playing KF2. My buddy has a PS4 and he was "banned" from PS+ and we couldn't play BF1 at his place. His ban was because he let his sub expire without auto renewal.

Its shit on all 3 companies for charging for online. Make online play free and then charge me if I want free crappy PS+ games and party chat and whatever. I would not give Sony a dime if I didn't have to. Its just the state of the industry where consoles can charge for online. I don't think there is any difference between PS3 and PS4 that I have to pay 9.99 a month for all of a sudden. Same with Nintendo. Its free now so there really isn't a reason to charge me 1.75 a month.

Consumers have proven they have no tolerance to fighting the fight against online play. If the same outrage that was shown to star wars MTX was shown to Live and PS+ we would all have free online play right now. But that ship sailed a long time ago. And free online isn't an enticing bullet point that will sell switches over Xbox/PS4's.

Nintendo's online service will be a failure. I predict that very few 3rd parties will use it and Nintendo itself will eventually release 1st party F2P games. They said that its up to each developer to decide to use the service or not. Its going to end up being an afterthought and the reality is that Nintendo Switch isn't as focused on online and you could probably get away with not even having a sub unless you are a huge Splat or Smash fan. The other systems to me seem almost useless without a online sub with how online focused most of their games are.

Vbrasa

Remember when y'all thought the Switch would be a failure from the getgo and then it outsold the Wii U in like, months? It won't be a failure, kids'll pay for it like crazy to play Splatoon 2 and Fortnite. Yeah, the service is gonna suck at first, but it'll adapt. If I remember correctly from my Killzone Shadow's Fall days, PS4's online wasn't really great at launch, and the games they gave away on PS+ were a joke for like the first year, and now it's heavily praised.

Everyone complains that it's the end of console gaming because you have to pay for it, but they'll still put up with the online tax and will pay it. Jesus, we don't even have the service yet and you're all crying.

As for the phone app shit, don't use it, just use Discord on your phones and party up with your friends if you don't like it. PS4's party app was garbage and my friends and I couldn't ever connect properly because "NAT type errors" meanwhile Discord would work perfectly.

At the end of all this, if you're still bitching, you probably don't even own a switch, and you're trying to sound like "hip down with it all around gamer" to get likes from like-minded people. Go back to your low priority Dota 2 games.

Iaterain

If I stop my PS+ subscription I am also effectively banned from playing KF2.

You were willingly paying for a subscription based game. It is completely different situation and not threatening any Sony consumer.

People weren't aware what Nintendo online service is until recently and the service was delayed for 2 years already. Whatever Nintendo consumers were told during the Switch launch is irrelevant.

It creates an unprecedented situation in the history where big corporation going to ban all its users from online games that they bought in order to pressure them into paying for a service that they don' need.

Nintendo consumers, mostly kids were living in fear of being banned for 2 years already. Consumers shouldn't be threatened by corporation like that.

cryptoadam

Banned
You were willingly paying for a subscription based game. It is completely different situation and not threatening any Sony consumer.

People weren't aware what Nintendo online service is until recently and the service was delayed for 2 years already. Whatever Nintendo consumers were told during the Switch launch is irrelevant.

It creates an unprecedented situation in the history where big corporation going to ban all its users from online games that they bought in order to pressure them into paying for a service that they don' need.

Nintendo consumers, mostly kids were living in fear of being banned for 2 years already. Consumers shouldn't be threatened by corporation like that.

They aren't being banned and as you said yourself the online service has been known for a while now. Its no different then when Sony changed their stance on charging for online from the PS3 to the PS4. Corporations do this all the time. How many raises in price has Netflix had? My internet bill keeps going up a few bucks. Your cable bill is probably more than it was 10 years ago. etc...

That doesn't mean I support paying for online. IMO online should be free across all the systems but none of these corporations are going to leave money on the table.

Gamers just don't have the resistance to paying for online pay.

Vbrasa

People were aware, or if they weren't, it's their own fault. They openly talked about the service around launch. They talked about it in some Nintendo Directs, and even posted about it in the console's News section. They did all they could to inform users "Hey, don't get used to free online". What you're saying is new laws that my government make shouldn't apply to me because I wasn't personally enlightened in a way I would have liked. If that's the case, I'm going back to texting while driving, because they didn't tell me about the law in cartoon form directly beamed to my cellphone.

You should take off the tinfoil hat and put it in your microwave, dude.

Lightsbane

All this did was turn me off of multiplayer. Can't remember the last online game I played. Probably not since pay walls were introduced way back when.

hecatomb

Banned
All this did was turn me off of multiplayer. Can't remember the last online game I played. Probably not since pay walls were introduced way back when.
? Makes no sense seeing how most all of Nintendos games are about multi player, like Mario kart, all their Mario sports games, Mario maker, and smash bros, even new super Mario bro games were multi player, why wouldn't you want these online?

Last edited:

oagboghi2

That is exactly what MS and Sony do.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
"We" are aware... your average gamer that makes up the majority of most console userbase probably does not.
It's on the back of every game case. The information's been out there from the start. There's no excuse.

but how they are handling it, especially with the no other way to back-up saves is less than desirable.
I don't believe for a second we're going to see any improvements to online play when this paid subscription comes in effect. It's obvious Nintendo sees this as an easy way to make another buck. Overall their service is unappealing to me, and I agree that keeping save back-ups ransom behind a paywall is anti-consumer.

You need to pay because both competitors also charge. All of these online paywall subscriptions are free profit for the platform holders and Nintendo isn't going to say no to free money.

Infrastructure, utilities, staff and scaled capacity thereof are not free. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all have realized costs associated with their online platforms. This doesn't suggest there isn't profit factored into their models, but I don't think it's quite what you think it is.

Lightsbane

? Makes no sense seeing how most all of Nintendos games are about multi player, like Mario kart, all their Mario sports games, Mario maker, and smash bros, even new super Mario bro games were multi player, why wouldn't you want these online?

I was replying to the original post that said "Here we go. The end of all free online play on consoles is happening next month. Thanks Microsoft."
Not the title.

I honestly don't buy the theory that these extra fees are required to maintain a solid online service.
Haven't played an online game outside of the PC in years. I even go as far as consider this a tad anti-consumer.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
online servers seem to cost a lot, Microsoft and Sony games can't even afford dedicated servers

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
it seems most likely it will, you need it for playstation+ I rather pay for better online gaming, then deal with people who lag every game, and people getting dropped, all cause they can't get better internet.

Infrastructure, utilities, staff and scaled capacity thereof are not free. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all have realized costs associated with their online platforms. This doesn't suggest there isn't profit factored into their models, but I don't think it's quite what you think it is.
Platform holders aren't hosting any games other than their own exclusives. The online service being offered is a single sign-on and a messaging system. The profit margins are absolutely enormous.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is DarkSouls the game that will be marketed on this service?

Hard to say what it will be in September, but Pokémon and Smash will be the main drivers this fall for sure, obviously. I’m guessing they decided to launch in September to give more time to have kinks worked out before those huge games hit.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
How can a thread about nintendo online turn into a anti MS thing for most.... this is another reason why gamers are never seen as mature. Every company does its best to monetize every part of their business.... the end.

There's a reason. neoGAF was called SonyGAF, and in a thread like this it's still clearly visible.

Sony are the good guys, Nintendo is like the friend that brings an alternative experience that's also nice, but Microsoft..

Microsoft is like the evil step father for them. No matter what it is it's him fault that there's mother (Sony) begin acting different. Charging for online play. Being anti consumer. It's Microsoft's fault.

Fanboys will always be fanbase, and able to Twist and craft the craziest theories.

Last edited:

Here we go. The end of all free online play on consoles is happening next month. Thanks Microsoft.
I guess I won't be doing any online multiplayer anymore on Nintendo consoles...

Until Smash Ultimate that is. We'll see if Nintendo reveals more stuff worth paying attention to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom