• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

Hopefully with the delay they come out with an actual good online infrastructure. Their online so far has been meh. It works for games mostly, but that's about it.

$20 is not bad for what you'll get though, especially with the updated games policy. I pay that much for coffee in a week.

boltpower

Neo Member
It's ok that's $20. I'm happy that the NES games are not rotating anymore, I hope SNES will follow through.

Still cloud saves (or another way to backup saves) is a priority, and more important IMO than voicechat and the infamous app.

mrk8885

Banned
$20 is doable I guess. With that I'll be pretty close to paying $100 a year just to play consoles online -_-

Psn- $40
Xbox- $35
Nintendo- $20

Well if your going to use sale prices for PS4 and Xbox you should extend that same courtesy to Nintendo.

Shiggy

Everyone who is interested in playing Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. Pokemon, Animal Crossing etc. online will pay up....would be crazy to think that there will be some big resistance for less than 2 dollar per month. They know their audience - the price point is good enough that even parent will be okay signing up for their kids.

Let's see, I'd think that could be one of the exceptions with free online.

It's ok that's $20. I'm happy that the NES games are not rotating anymore, I hope SNES will follow through.

Still cloud saves (or another way to backup saves) is a priority, and more important IMO than voicechat and the infamous app.

I still don't understand the intense want for cloud saves on Switch. The benefit of that service Xbox/Playstation is fairly obvious as it isn't easy to tote those consoles around. Switch is designed around easily bringing the console with you!

I'd much rather they just give us a way to back up saves via Micro SD and/or PC. That should be more of a priority than cloud saves.

OmegaFax

Announcing the price before the features is a move by Nintendo to curb some criticism and expectations.

Nintendo's response to Kotaku sounds like Nintendo's pleading the 5th in an online services tribunal.

The service is $20 a year. It's great that Nintendo is up front about what they expect people to pay for their online service but I think it's way to get people fixed on the price and not what they're getting, relative to Xbox Live and Playstation Plus vs. the actual value and content you're going to get at the end.

Not much has changed since they were announcing the paid service other than they pushed the date back to 2018 and took SNES out of the wording on their website.

It just raises more questions about how they're going to go about Virtual Console and whether the a la carte model for purchasing VC games and whether a discount will carry over to people that purchased the same games on the Wii U or 3DS will carry over in any capacity ... or whether VC is done in favor of this unnamed monthly "Netflix" service.

Are My Nintendo rewards in limbo until the paid service launches? ... or are they going to sample what to expect in terms of discounts and freebies before the lead-up to the 2018 launch.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was the first real online multiplayer experience for the Nintendo Switch from Nintendo. As it stands now, it's less reliable in both regional and worldwide matches than the Wii U version is. From my experience with the Switch version of MK8 ... Worldwide matches are entirely unreliable with either the game stalling when entering spectator mode leading to a communications error (it seems like the game has trouble syncing with other players, stalls, and kicks you out of the game). Collision detection and some incredible delays with item rolling lag.

Battle Mode sometimes doesn't properly keep score even though my character reacts to a successful item hit. I've seen Balloon Battle matches where half the players didn't score one hit even though I've visibly seen them throw a bomb or shell successfully at another player.

I went back to the Wii U version of Mario Kart 8 and it was a MUCH smoother experience. The game lobby and tract selection roll didn't stall. The spectator mode worked, didn't stall even if the race was over. I never got the impression the game froze or was ready to disconnect like the Switch version.

The review copies of ARMs that some reviewers received a couple of days ago and the ARMS Test Punch either have a much smaller user base. It's either reviewers playing each other or people that have been available to play in one of Nintendo's hourly timeslots.

From what I understand with Splatoon 2 (and it is something that may be true for ARMS as well), is the netcode was dialed back a bit to give a smoother experience. Pretty sure Digital Foundry or another outlet tested this with Splat 2.

It will be interesting to see how use-case scenarios work with the smartphone application coming out this summer.

Nintendo needs to soft launch at least what they vaguely promised (NES games, discounts, voice chat) this year.

Berordn

I still don't understand the intense want for cloud saves on Switch. The benefit of that service Xbox/Playstation is fairly obvious as it isn't easy to tote those consoles around. Switch is designed around easily bringing the console with you!

I'd much rather they just give us a way to back up saves via Micro SD and/or PC. That should be more of a priority than cloud saves.

There's no reason not to provide both. Integrated cloud saving would make it easy to jump between multiple machines and in event that the system is completely destroyed make it easier than ever to set up a new one. An SD card/PC backup would give me more control but also requires that I stay on top of it and not lose the data somehow.

I hope they're at least putting a fresh coat of paint/production values on Dr. Mario Online.

Something like Puyo Tetris would be great and not difficult at all for Nintendo to pull off.

There's no reason not to provide both. Integrated cloud saving would make it easy to jump between multiple machines and in event that the system is completely destroyed make it easier than ever to set up a new one. An SD card/PC backup would give me more control but also requires that I stay on top of it and not lose the data somehow.

I definitely agree that both would be nice, I just think that backup via memory card should be their first priority. That doesn't mean that I don't want cloud saves at all.

conpfreak

The only real issue I see with this service right now is that the app only exist for smartphones and not on the Switch itself. The smartphone app is actually a really cool idea if it functioned supplementary to an application on the system. It doesn't, so it's cumbersome and relies on yet another device(s) with a battery.

TrutaS

20 pounds for a good library of old games and online services is worth it. Would make me go back to classics in a way virtual console never did.

Baleoce

For me, there is genuinely no value proposition to this. Like, at all. It's arguably a small amount of money. But I still don't give small sums of money away for nothing, and wouldn't want to get into the habit of doing so.

Waji

YES !
Delay it as much as you want Nintendo. I like my free online.

Now I'm sure to take Splatoon 2 I guess, because that's at least 6 months to take the most out of it.
And then I'll just never touch it again and play all the new stuff.

Noticed cloud saving is not even apart of this so I guess this is a good argument as to why $20 and less should be all it's worth. Oh well....was hoping I oils see that somewhere because I doubt it would be free

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Let's see, I'd think that could be one of the exceptions with free online.

I dont see them doing exceptions if they are already charging for their biggest and most mainstream IPs like Mario Kart. It probably depends also on how future Pokemon games will support online play...but it would be weird for Pokemon to get a free pass, if they dont follow the same line for 3rdParty titles with similar multiplayer options.

"as long as they have an active subscription." Not to mention everyone constantly comparing the service to Netflix.

"Subscribers will get to download a compilation of classic titles with added online play, such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario."

You download them, you don't play them over the web.

It shouldn't be work any differently than downloaded titles work now- if you unlink your account from your Switch and go online you won't have access to your downloaded titles. If you end your subscription and go online you likely won't have access to the classic games you've downloaded.

The online nes games is just going to be like with emulation where it syncs up the game between two people, in case of mario 3 it will give player 2's controllers to the other player and you will most likely still take turns.

The online nes games is just going to be like with emulation where it syncs up the game between two people, in case of mario 3 it will give player 2's controllers to the other player and you will most likely still take turns.

And this is why I believe that it's going to suck terribly. Have any of you ever played online using emulators like ZSnes and the like? The input lag makes it impossible to play any action-centric games properly. Unless massive amounts of input lag don't bother you, then fine I guess, but I can't stand even the most minute amount of input lag, so it's an instant game-killer for me.

BriGuy

$20 is cheap, but still a lot more expensive than $0. I don't play enough online games to justify any paid service. Discount pricing on virtual console titles might sway me, but I would likely just get a single month of service and load up.

Just read that this wont even be including SNES game LMFAO fuck off Nintendo.

On the plus side this should mean this wont affect VC in any way.

Won't it? Maybe I'm not up on all the news, but my worry is that Nintendo will use this service as an excuse to be even worse on the VC front. Like, instead of a robust, purchaseable VC catalog, the narrative will be that they can just randomly add whatever old games they want, whenever they want.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't care about party chat or anything like that. All I want to know is if the $20 is a guarantee we're not getting gacha elements in the games to pay for the online service after the fact like they do on the three other platforms. I'd happily pay 20 for that. Man I'd pay 40.

shanafan

After playing retro on Wii VC, Wii U VC and Classic NES, I am feeling burnt out on playing older games. Sortof been-there, done-that feelings.

We'll see how it is on the Switch and if my mindset changes, but not feeling any hype yet.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see it delayed until next year. It's also cheap, and being able to keep the "free" games for as long as you're subscribed is a good thing. Still, couldn't they do any better than NES titles? They are anything but tempting at this point.

It's also worth noting that these are NES games with added online functionality. We have no indication that these will replace the "classic" versions of these games without online play. We also don't yet know if this supplements or replaces the traditional Virtual Console.

The online functionality part makes me kinda excited. 20 dollars for a year doesn't seem to bad.

Haganeren

Well, i'm quite happy for all those years of free online on Wii U.
I don't understand why i'm paying on Switch. What's the added functionnality... Voice chat ? Ah ! Three VC games ? Are you serious ?

I found that so bad it's hilarious.

As much as I love SMB3 I don't see myself playing a whole lot of the alternating 2-player mode online. But who knows. The other two have concurrent play so they're a better choice for that kinda addition.

Berordn

I'll buy the 1 month sub first, and if it's as shitty as it is in MK8D, bye

The service doesn't change how anything works in the games - it's like PSN or XBL. It just allows you to access the services.

The way MK8D does online doesn't really factor into any of that, only once it launches in 2018 you'll have to pay to play it online.

zenspider

For me, it's because saves are tied to the system. For example: I had a co-worker playing Zelda on her breaks. She stopped after a few hours because "if I get it, I'll have to start from the beginning", which unfortunately is true.

"Subscribers will get to download a compilation of classic titles with added online play, such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario."

You download them, you don't play them over the web.

Just to clarify in case someone like me misreads your post at first: you will most likely download the game to your system's memory, and after doing so, you can play the games online together with other Switch users. It's not streaming like PS Now or GameTap.

Santar

Nope, sorry Ninty.
I won't pay just to have the oppurtunity to play a game online and I don't rent games either so the VC part means nothing to me.

Wish they'd just drop the fee completely.

Top Bottom