• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

jts

...hate me...
Why?! Just why? It's an artificial paywall that wasn't present on WiiU or PS3 and isn't present on PC.
Thank you for making ripping off people possible. Inb4, it doesn't pay for servers, because there aren't any with P2P.
lol

There absolutely are servers even in p2p online gaming.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Why?! Just why? It's an artificial paywall that wasn't present on WiiU or PS3 and isn't present on PC.
Thank you for making ripping off people possible. Inb4, it doesn't pay for servers, because there aren't any with P2P.

Probably because he wants to play online on his Switch....just a guess though.

Chauzu

I'm in the camp who would pay the 20$ just for access to online in games like ARMS, Smash and Pokémon, so any added value is a big bonus. No word of cloud saves so far is a big shame, but I hope the classic game vault keeps increasing monthly and in the future include more than NES and SNES games. As an all digital buyer too, I'm hoping the eShop discounts will be more than just filler.

Smasher89

Paying 20 for the ISP for unlimited online aint bad, the other way is terrible for consumers though. Why hasnt a "high profile" youtuber made a video explaining why it's not a good thing to jump onboard something like this (mainly asking if theres a good video educating the consumers on the subject)..
I mean apparently PC gamers fought against this, which kept that market free from these attempted cashgrabs!

Smasher89

It's limited to a year and to certain games.
Btw, why bring up ISP? Nintendo isn't dealing with ISPs. The customers are.

Because you can't have just the nintendo online without paying the ISP!
Its not like you get online for the console at all times for that fee.

giapel

The pricing makes the whole discussion irrelevant really. The only problem I see is if this is an introductory pricing which will dramatically increase once more features are added.

Fiendcode

I'm trying to get an estimate on how much VC games Nintendo delivered on the Wii within the first 3 years. If they can't deliver within 2~3 years for the Wii, we shouldn't​ expect much for the Switch because Nintendo will prioritize $60 games released by their handheld and home console team. Better to hype less of their VC so people won't get disappointed when Nintendo release less VC than on the WiiU.
Here is the number of Virtual Console games released within 3 years of US launch by platform.

Wii
NES: 83
Super NES: 47
Nintendo 64: 16
Sega Genesis: 68
TurboGrafx-16: 61
Neo Geo: 19
Sega Master System: 15
Commodore 64: 9
Arcade: 9

Nintendo 3DS
Game Boy: 42
Game Boy Color: 15
NES: 51
Game Gear: 16
Super NES: 0

Wii U
NES: 79
Super NES: 49
Game Boy Advance: 52
Nintendo 64: 8
Nintendo DS: 9
TurboGrafx-16: 0

And non-VC retro service releases within 3 years of launch.

Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 3D Classics: 6
Sega 3D Classics: 8

Wii U
Wii eShop: 6

Nintendo Switch (3 months in)
ACA Neo Geo: 18 released, 5 more announced
Classic Game Selection: 3 announced

Bowl0l

Because you can't have just the nintendo online without paying the ISP!
Its not like you get online for the console at all times for that fee.
Nintendo isn't going to deal with ISPs to offer Internet connection to their customers. Too complicated and expensive because almost all ISPs in the world rip people off.

Here is the number of Virtual Console games released within 3 years of US launch by platform.

Wii
NES: 83
Super NES: 47
Nintendo 64: 16
Sega Genesis: 68
TurboGrafx-16: 61
Neo Geo: 19
Sega Master System: 15
Commodore 64: 9
Arcade: 9

Nintendo 3DS
Game Boy: 42
Game Boy Color: 15
NES: 51
Game Gear: 16
Super NES: 0

Wii U
NES: 79
Super NES: 49
Game Boy Advance: 52
Nintendo 64: 8
Nintendo DS: 9
TurboGrafx-16: 0

And non-VC retro service releases within 3 years of launch.

Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 3D Classics: 6
Sega 3D Classics: 8

Wii U
Wii eShop: 6

Nintendo Switch (3 months in)
ACA Neo Geo: 18 released, 5 more announced
Classic Game Selection: 3 announced
I'm looking forward to more games.

Hopefully they don't tie discount to the subscription service or stop games from being sold to non-subscribers.
I don't like NESFlix business model because Nintendo can remove games from the subscription and I like owning my games.

Jacobson

Does this mean Smash will release in 2018, as many have already feared?

I wasn't expecting it to release in 2018 in the first place, but why do you think that? You do know that you can still play online right? They just extended the free trial up to 2018.

spekkeh

Banned
There are definitely costs and server fees that go with keeping a multiplayer game infrastructure going. You can charge up front or monetize after the fact. Given the way monetization is going, I'd much rather pay up front. I have some (vain?) hope Nintendo will only use wisywig monetization at best and not gacha models like most other online games nowadays.

StayDead

Blame all the people that bent over backwards about how amazing paying for Xbox live was. They're the reason all the other companies set up paywalls, people are willing to pay them.

Crash331

To all of the people bitching about paying for online console access:

Welcome to 2002. This argument is 15 years old. But judging by the people bitching about a measly $20/year, I'm willing to bet a lot of you weren't even born yet.

As lackluster as Nintendo's online offerings are, if you just want to play games online this price isn't bad at all. £17.99 a year to play Rocket League on Switch sounds much nicer than £49.99 a year on PS4. It was always a reasonable price but the recent PSN price bump only highlights.

As lackluster as Nintendo's online offerings are, if you just want to play games online this price isn't bad at all. £17.99 a year to play Rocket League on Switch sounds much nicer than £49.99 a year on PS4. It was always a reasonable price but the recent PSN price bump only highlights.

Not paying a cent to play Rocket League sounds much nicer than £17.99 a year on Switch.

LordKano

Please, don't use the recent PS+ rise to defend this. Any form of paywall for online without any real online improvements (and currently no console service provide that) is anti-consumer decision and shouldn't be defended, even if it's less pricey than the other side.

jts

...hate me...
I'll not pretend that it is huge difference from how it was already, but paying 1/3 of the online fee sure is a nice bonus for me as I switch Rocket League and FIFA from PS4 to Switch.

I never play those with voice chat as well, so it's all good.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Well, this should filter out some of the awful internet connections, atleast. $20 is acceptable for a year, but if it's just there to increase Nintendo's revenue then I'm a little ticked. Albeit, if this helps Nintendo's output like a Patreon, then I suppose it's not all bad. Hopefully they improve it over time by adding more features.

Aiustis

Please, don't use the recent PS+ rise to defend this. Any form of paywall for online without any real online improvements (and currently no console service provide that) is anti-consumer decision and shouldn't be defended, even if it's less pricey than the other side.

This is how I feel. Will not pay anything to play online. I guess I'll have to get my Splatoon fix in asap.

RRockman

Banned

I'm not going to defend it but at the same time it still offers exactly what I want at a bargin price. I don't really care about voice chat or the "free" games that are given to us that can easily be taken away at the drop of a hat from either service. I simply want the online multiplayer period. and 19.99 is simply a better deal than 49.99. It's lame sure, but given the choice between the 2 and if all games were platform neutral, I'd still pick Nintendo's service.

I am pissed right now since between Splatoon and ARMS and Guilty Gear and DBFZ both companies have got me to considering paying $70 usd for internet a year that I really shouldn't have to pay for in the first place.

Phoenixus

The price definitely looks better compared to what PS plus will be, but Nintendo still have a lot of work to do to justify paying for it in the first place.

They've got the time, we'll see what happens I guess.

wrowa

I'll subscribe regardless because 20€ is cheap enough that I don't care (yes, I'm aware that I'm part of the problem), but it would sure be nice if Nintendo added dedicated servers to Splatoon once they charge for online.

LordKano

I'm not going to defend it but at the same time it still offers exactly what I want at a bargin price. I don't really care about voice chat or the "free" games that are given to us that can easily be taken away at the drop of a hat from either service. I simply want the online multiplayer period. and 19.99 is simply a better deal than 49.99. It's lame sure, but given the choice between the 2 and if all games were platform neutral, I'd still pick Nintendo's service.

I am pissed right now since between Splatoon and ARMS and Guilty Gear and DBFZ both companies have got me to considering paying $70 usd for internet a year that I really shouldn't have to pay for in the first place.

I understand and if it was possible to get rid of the rented games to drop the price even further I'd take it. I'll likely pay it too but it irks me when people are defending any forms of additional fees for stuff that isn't improved by said fee. You're not paying for any changes, but only the mandatory tax for use.

tsundoku

i just remembered the classic game service again today and looked at the ps+ games i'd be getting because i paid for a couple months to play rocket league

i'd much rather play snes roms with netplay then ancient AAA games that i didn't want to play in the first place

kc44135

Personally, I think $20 a year for online play and free stuff is pretty reasonable, guys. But, has Nintendo said anything about how this relates to Virtual Console on Switch? Is this (or Classic/Mini Consoles) their replacement for it? Will there be a VC on Switch? I'd gladly pay a subscription for an ever evolving library of Classic games, but I'd certainly want more than NES games.

Nesther

Just like PS, Nintendo has me by the balls, as I'll want to be able to Splatoon 2, MK8D etc.online.

At least we'll be getting some sort of VC Netflix, as paying just for the online smart phone app we got last week is not one bit justified.

Genio88

App and voice chat are bullshit, online play should be free like on PC, i hope at least the netfix kind of service with VC games, will be worth those 20$ a year

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I bought Splatoon and ARMS physically because I'm not sure if the online fee is worth it to me.

DigSCCP

Funny thing that you have to take off a benefit of the service to make an argument.
Specially when you use a game that already was part of PS Plus lol
Dont get me wrong here, Im just saying that if I already have to pay for something ( the best scenario on both plataforms would be if I didnt have to ) I prefer to look at all benefits and by doing this I just cant see how paying less for a worse service makes sense.

No one should pay a cent until Nintendo fixes the voice chat and online infrastructure.

No idea what's wrong with the online infrastructure? I'm always connected instantly, never get disconnects, matchmaking in MK8, ARMS and Splatoon 2 is really fast.

I mean, if you're talking about stuff like not being able to swap weapons between games or two maps rotating etc in Splatoon 2, they're design decisions and nothing to do with the actual online infrastructure.

Voice chat is shit though, not that it affects much seeing as Splatoon 2 is the only game to use it and the first game had no voice chat at all. But lol at anyone who ever thought that Nintendo would allow voice chat with complete strangers anyway. After the way people abused Swapnote that was never going to happen.

I'd rather it was free, and I still kind of find the idea of a paywall the complete antithesis of the Nintendo experience (particularly for kids) but I'll pay. I would spend more on a single meal in week I can wing it for Nintendo for a year and I use my Nintendo consoles more than all the rest. I'll get my value back and then some.

tkscz

I understand and if it was possible to get rid of the rented games to drop the price even further I'd take it. I'll likely pay it too but it irks me when people are defending any forms of additional fees for stuff that isn't improved by said fee. You're not paying for any changes, but only the mandatory tax for use.

DBR86U9WsAAl0kf.jpg

I don't like it either, but at least $20 a year isn't as bad as other people were thinking it was going to be.

Berordn

I don't understand what you're trying to say with that pic ?

That now it's more like PS+ where you get a library of games as part of the subscription rather than just the monthly borrowing nonsense. Unlike PS+, these are classic games rather than recent ones, but by most accounts I'd call this an improvement over their old plan.

Because of that it probably costs them nothing and removing it wouldn't save you anything.

Top Bottom