• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

I would have happily paid for Wii U online, which I found to be flawless. So many connection issues with Switch tho, I doubt I'll bother

LordKano

That now it's more like PS+ where you get a library of games as part of the subscription rather than just the monthly borrowing nonsense.

Unlike PS+, these are classic games rather than recent ones, but by most accounts I'd call this an improvement over their old plan.

These are still rented games. You pay to have access to these games for a limited time. Once you stop paying, you can't play them.

Berordn

These are still rented games. You pay to have access to these games for a limited time. Once you stop paying, you can't play them.

Right, but being a library of small roms running in a system-level emulator isn't costing them a ton of money and you're not going to save anything of note by them removing it. "Free" games are a part of all the online services now, so this is their crack at it in a way that they can still charge 20 bucks for.

Shiggy

Netflix like is probably a better way to put it then. Previous way they had it was really a rent system.

Previously it was one rented game per month, how many games you get access to now as part of the library, we don't know yet. Netflix has a huge catalogue of movies and series available, so that comparison is a bit misleading. It's doubtful that the library will even be as large as that of Xbox Game Pass.

20 a year is absolutely nothing, there should be zero complaints

No. Nothing is still better than this.

Hell, I'd happily drop the ability to play whatever free game they throw at me if it reduces the price.

(Naturally I want this same model with PS+ and Xbox Live, if not completely free.)

Shiggy

I doubt it, right now if you buy a game under one profile, its playable on all profiles, digital or not.

Q: Do users need to subscribe to "Nintendo Switch Online" on a system or account basis?
A: Subscription is on a Nintendo account basis. Please wait for future announcement on handling multiple Nintendo accounts with one Nintendo Switch or handling Nintendo accounts with multiple Nintendo switches.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201706/02134525.html

JC Lately

I doubt it, right now if you buy a game under one profile, its playable on all profiles, digital or not.

Right, I get that, game wise. But what about the online multiplayer? My kid is getting more into that with Splatoon 2 and various 3DS games, would be pissed if I need a separate sub price for them going forward.

EDIT: well fuck ^ doesn't sound encouraging.

No idea what's wrong with the online infrastructure? I'm always connected instantly, never get disconnects, matchmaking in MK8, ARMS and Splatoon 2 is really fast.

I mean, if you're talking about stuff like not being able to swap weapons between games or two maps rotating etc in Splatoon 2, they're design decisions and nothing to do with the actual online infrastructure.

Voice chat is shit though, not that it affects much seeing as Splatoon 2 is the only game to use it and the first game had no voice chat at all. But lol at anyone who ever thought that Nintendo would allow voice chat with complete strangers anyway. After the way people abused Swapnote that was never going to happen.

MK8 is difficult to play with friends, Bomberman can still kick you for no reason.

Online should be set up the same for all games in terms of how you access it. It shouldn't be a free for all, everyone creates what they want. Minecraft you sign in thru Xbox Live. Lol.

Got a question... My partner and I both have Switches. If she buys a game on her Switch, can I log her Nintendo account in on my switch, redownload the game, and play using my account on my very own Switch ?

Shiggy

Lol if Nintendo didn't intend to improve on what they have now then they would not have delayed the service to 2018.

Or, which is much more likely, they simply want more users to experience the online service to hook them up for the paid service.

Got a question... My partner and I both have Switches. If she buys a game on her Switch, can I log her Nintendo account in on my switch, redownload the game, and play using my account on my very own Switch ?

You can do that, but then it won't be playable on her Switch. You can only activate a user's games on one Switch at a time.

LordKano

Right, but being a library of small roms running in a system-level emulator isn't costing them a ton of money and you're not going to save anything of note by them removing it. "Free" games are a part of all the online services now, so this is their crack at it in a way that they can still charge 20 bucks for.

I don't see what does it change about them still being rented games. They aren't free, and you're not buying them since you don't own them.

Even saying it's Netflix like is not accurate, since you can access the whole Netflix library anytime, while you're only renting certain games based on when you start the subscription.

Or, which is much more likely, they simply want more users to experience the online service to hook them up for the paid service.

You can do that, but then it won't be playable on her Switch. You can only activate a user's games on one Switch at a time.

Thanks for the info. Shame there's no way to play at the same time, but it makes sense.

Technically, but games and I believe NNIDs can only be active in one system at a time. I don't think you can log in her account on your switch without deactivating it on hers.

Gestault

So as it stands, I love playing Splatoon 2 online. I have...a lot of time into it. But if online feature-wise doesn't change *dramatically* by the time they roll out the paid requirement for Switch online, I will not pay for it, and depending on how the content is structured in major Switch releases at that point, I'll consider getting rid of the system if that's going to hamstring games I'd otherwise be enjoying.

It's really, really hard to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.

tebunker

Banned
Technically, but games and I believe NNIDs can only be active in one system at a time. I don't think you can log in her account on your switch without deactivating it on hers.
This needs testing. Nothing they have said mentions deactivating. Pretty sure can have your nnid on more than one system at a time.

But what if you want to go online with two players on one console. On PS4 that requires two PSPlus accounts.

Not true. I do online local multiplayer on Rocket League all the time on my brother's PS4, and I don't have a PSPlus account.

So as it stands, I love playing Splatoon 2 online. I have...a lot of time into it. But if online feature-wise doesn't change *dramatically* by the time they roll out the paid requirement for Switch online, I will not pay for it

I think we should revisit this thread in two years and see how many people who swore they wouldn't pay for online have actually stuck to their word.

Does anyone know if this will work for Child Accounts on the switch if the subscription is tied to the parent Nintendo Account on that same switch?

I won't have to pay for two subscriptions, right? This is Nintendo so..

Wiped89

Well, this should filter out some of the awful internet connections, atleast. $20 is acceptable for a year, but if it's just there to increase Nintendo's revenue then I'm a little ticked. Albeit, if this helps Nintendo's output like a Patreon, then I suppose it's not all bad. Hopefully they improve it over time by adding more features.

A fucking Patreon, are you kidding me? Nintendo is not a charity. It is a business, and as such, it needs to justify a charge of £17.99 by providing a worthwhile service.

IMO, PS+ is well overpriced, Xbox Live started this whole mess and Nintendo Online is severely lacking in features.

I honestly believe online subs are hurting consoles in the long run. Sure geeks will pay but the mass market is turned off by paying for subs.

jts

...hate me...
So as it stands, I love playing Splatoon 2 online. I have...a lot of time into it. But if online feature-wise doesn't change *dramatically* by the time they roll out the paid requirement for Switch online, I will not pay for it, and depending on how the content is structured in major Switch releases at that point, I'll consider getting rid of the system if that's going to hamstring games I'd otherwise be enjoying.

It's really, really hard to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.

How much do you value your time that $20 for a year of putting many hours into Splatoon online (and potentially other games) is too much?

Let's face it. Online play on consoles is paid for. Microsoft popped that cherry, Sony followed through, Nintendo joins now. PC is not a closed platform with a gatekeeper. Valve is in the best position to do so but would just risk an exodus. Not to mention that games could still have their free implementation of online, regardless of Steam. Basically it's not feasible on PC.

All the extra features besides online play, are simply fluff to give players the illusion of extra value and helping to swallow that bitter pill. So I really don't care about them when they come at a rip-off price of $50 or $60 a year, when I can just get online play (which is what people pay these services for) for $20.

Of course, it's understandable if even at $20 per year, people are just getting priced out of the gaming hobby. It used to be cheaper. Personally I think it would be even better for Nintendo to remove whatever VC subscription games they are throwing into it if it could just make it $15 per year. And offer them on the side for those willing to pay for them.

Chauzu

For someone who just buys these online subs to play online with randoms, 20$ is easier to swallow than 60$ for the same functionality, as far as my usage is concerned. I'd prefer free tho. Hope the free games library makes it worth.

A fucking Patreon, are you kidding me? Nintendo is not a charity. It is a business, and as such, it needs to justify a charge of £17.99 by providing a worthwhile service.

IMO, PS+ is well overpriced, Xbox Live started this whole mess and Nintendo Online is severely lacking in features.

I honestly believe online subs are hurting consoles in the long run. Sure geeks will pay but the mass market is turned off by paying for subs.
Except, the mass market actually does pay for the subs.

Gestault

How much do you value your time that $20 for a year of putting many hours into Splatoon online (and potentially other games) is too much?

Let's face it. Online play on consoles is paid for. Microsoft popped that cherry, Sony followed through, Nintendo joins now. PC is not a closed platform with a gatekeeper. Valve is in the best position to do so but would just risk an exodus. Not to mention that games could still have their free implementation of online, regardless of Steam. Basically it's not feasible on PC.

All the extra features besides online play, are simply fluff to give players the illusion of extra value and helping to swallow that bitter pill. So I really don't care about them when they come at a rip-off price of $50 or $60 a year, when I can just get online play (which is what people pay these services for) for $20.

Of course, it's understandable if even at $20 per year, people are just getting priced out of the gaming hobby. It used to be cheaper. Personally I think it would be even better for Nintendo to remove whatever VC subscription games they are throwing into it if it could just make it $15 per year. And offer them on the side for those willing to pay for them.

My contention isn't about dollar amount, it's quality. Money isn't a bar here, and I don't have issues paying for online infrastructure.

I guess I can only speak for myself, but I have a lot of games ready to be played. I have more games than I have time to play them. It's about the quality of the time spent online, not the price.

I think we should revisit this thread in two years and see how many people who swore they wouldn't pay for online have actually stuck to their word.

My post was predicated on wanting drastic improvements. Why you'd have such an obsessive attitude about those expecting that, I guess I don't understand. The frustration at what we've seen execution-wise on a new service isn't coming out of thin air. If your attitude is that expecting more is expecting too much, and that players won't really decide to spend their time elsewhere, well, it probably says more about your priorities than anyone elses.

SoulUnison

Banned
On one hand, $20 a year is honestly dirt cheap.

On the other hand, rewarding Nintendo with money for their idea of an online system in 2017 feels wrong.

Would I pay $20 a year to have netflix access to VC? Yes

Online is still free as far as I'm concerned, thats worth the money alone
As someone said a few posts up, Netflix gives you access to the whole library. Unless Nintendo changes the standard that Sony and MS have set you're only getting games released from when you subscribe forward.

Would I pay $20 a year to have netflix access to VC? Yes

Online is still free as far as I'm concerned, thats worth the money alone

Nintendo has never even hinted at a Netflix style service. They have described something akin to the PS+ Instant Game Collection but specifically for enhanced NES titles and potentially SNES games.

That isn't anything like Netflix.

jmizzal

I already pay full price for psn and gold and never use voice chat because I don't like talking to strangers so this is good for me

This, the voice chat being crap has no baring on me with paying online, I barely use it on my Xbox one, so far my online gaming experience on Switch has been great, no bad connection problems or anything. I just want to see the full value of everything that Switch paid online is coming with next year, if its really a netflix style VC for the games with added stuff thats a great start.

Smasher89

just skipping nintendos online, they prob have less then 10 games when "released", which you still need to buy to be able to play, and the price is just to get people to join in, so they if successful can do what sony does (price increase for i think the 2-4 th time in august).

My post was predicated on wanting drastic improvements. Why you'd have such an obsessive attitude about those expecting that, I guess I don't understand. The frustration at what we've seen execution-wise on a new service isn't coming out of thin air. If your attitude is that expecting more is expecting too much, and that players won't really decide to spend their time elsewhere, well, it probably says more about your priorities than anyone elses.

Yes ok, putting my cards on the table- I don't believe anyone who regularly plays Nintendo games online will refuse to pay the £20 a year out of anger at how basic some elements of the online structure are. Whatever they think, they'll just put up with it cos they want to play the games and because the subscription price is much lower than on other consoles.

Sure, I can see the basic concept of a Nintendo online fee putting off some casual players (regardless as to how well it's implemented), but I don't believe for one second that some avid Splatoon player on GAF will give up the game just because Nintendo aren't doing more to increase the value of their online service before bringing the paywall in.

Also, 'voting with your wallet' just doesn't work in terms of actually changing anything. Vocal gamers, the sort of people who'd refuse to buy something out of principle, are a tiny minority. The best thing to do is to make a noise, write, email, and particularly petition people in the press to write about these issues. Any time a company has actually changed their direction has been through negative press coverage, not a tiny minority refusing to buy something.

Also- the "I'm not going to buy this thing until this company do exactly what I want" thing comes across as so obnoxious and entitled. I mean whatever, I don't really care and I don't want to police anyone's behavior, but I'm not going to feel guilty about being a little bit dismissive in return.

It's not about the amount. The main argument is that they have done nothing to prove they earned any of that money.

No one can say one way or the other what they've "earned" until we see what they implement. Nintendo's online is pretty lackluster as is, but the shift to a paid service will also come with a shift in expectations for said service, and I'm sure Nintendo knows that. Even if this was just for the Netflix-esque classic games library they're working on, I'd say that's worth $20/year (assuming the games don't trickle out at a snail's pace, which I wouldn't put past them.)

An excerpt from the OP even describes the current situation as...
A free, limited version of this app

...so it sounds to me like there are plans for something less shitty once they're asking people to pay for it.

jts

...hate me...
People are upset they have to pay something that won't be in a better shape than when it was free. No matter the price. It's an additional cost that isn't justifying itself.
Well, isn't that true for most price increases, i.e. see the PS Plus price increase, but also every other price increase ever in anything due to inflation.

So Nintendo decided they also want a (rather small) fee to keep an online service. What are we gonna do then? Don't see the value of paying anything to play online, don't play online. It really is that simple.

Vanpira

Well, isn't that true for most price increases, i.e. see the PS Plus price increase, but also every other price increase ever in anything due to inflation.

So Nintendo decided they also want a (rather small) fee to keep an online service. What are we gonna do then? Don't see the value of paying anything to play online, don't play online. It really is that simple.

That's shit. There is no reason for anyone to charge for online.

JayBabay

I think Nintendo have a huge opportunity with the VC online play. This may be a reason for the significant delay. Imagine if all of those classic Nintendo titles that supported 2 Players were streamlined across the board to allow online play, that would be a game changer.

Top Bottom