• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Trailer exceeds 16 Million Views in ~3 days (Wii U trailer: 11 mill)

I don't think this is an indicator of how well it'll sell, but they've done a much better job of bringing Nintendo hardware into people's consciousness. The next big info blowout is crucial. They need to capitalise on this. Just not sure it's wise try and ride on this wave until January.

aBarreras

You know what is funny, people saying that the nx reveal misining the E3 was a huge Lost opportunity bla bla bla, and here we are with the nx revealed out of nowhere and still everybody is talking about it.

Schmitty

It is most likely getting boosted by media companies who get paid to do so as well. We can't take views to correlate with success in the future

Youtube is bigger now than it was in 2011.

That's certainly a big factor. The original Redemption trailer was posted in 2009 and only has 821k views.

For as much as people go on about how Rockstar can do whatever they want, RDR2 talk absolutely felt drowned out next to the Switch. Felt a little lukewarm.

There just really wasn't much to talk about from the trailer. It was largely just a bunch of panning shots of the environments.

I'm honestly surprised on how they were able to explain what the Switch is without being confusing or overly complicated.

I mean going by the rumors and description it seemed complicated but they were able to explain it in 3 mins without any confusion.

samar11

I was really impressed with what Nintendo showed with the Switch as someone who hated both the Wii and Wii U. I really think this is gonna be a pretty big hit for them.

Day 1

You sure about that? Lol
What kind of big hit are you talking about anyway? Wii levels, GameCube, n64 ?

I'm honestly surprised on how they were able to explain what the Switch is without being confusing or overly complicated.

I mean going by the rumors and description it seemed complicated but they were able to explain it in 3 mins without any confusion.

It's especially surprising when you go back and watch the Wii U at E3 2011. The Switch's reveal was 100% more coherent.

Phu

Banned
I wonder what the total is among all official postings of the trailer. At a glance Nintendo's Japanese YT has over 2 mil and their UK has over half a million.

EDarkness

They've been cagey about this, potentially just to make sure people keep buying 3DS games. They may still make another dedicated handheld in a couple years based on the Switch architecture, but way less powerful and potentially with it's own library. It is unclear!

Yeah, I've read a few things over the last couple of days that implies that a handheld replacement of the 3DS is coming at some point. My guess is it'll be build around the core of the NS and most likely use the same games. A "true" handheld instead of this hybrid thing they have now that supposed to be a "home console first".

I think the Switch is going to he a success but are you saying it's going to sell better than the PS4?

He's saying that because the Switch is going to be the first console out in the "next generation" of consoles, that it will by default, when it releases be the best selling console of that generation. It's a subtle troll, but he's right I guess.

It's funny because here on GAF there's a lot of threads going, "oh, is Skyrim REALLY confirmed??" "hey, they didn't technically say there's a touch screen" "is the new mario game ACTUALLY the new mario game?"

While I totally think it'd be nice to have detailed specs ASAP, don't get me wrong, to the general public, the message is as clear and straight-to-the-point as possible. It's a console you can play at home or on the go. Nothing else to it, just a strong hook. Just goes to show how enthusiasts like us have a habit of overcomplicating things for ourselves, heh.

thefro

There's ~6.5 million views on FB too.

2 million from Nintendo Japan's YT page

That's not counting the various Nintendo of Europe Youtube page, or mirrors like IGN's youtube video, etc.

It's funny because here on GAF there's a lot of threads going, "oh, is Skyrim REALLY confirmed??" "hey, they didn't technically say there's a touch screen" "does the dock make it go 1080p?"

While I totally think it'd be nice to have detailed specs ASAP, don't get me wrong, to the general public, the message is as clear and straight-to-the-point as possible. It's a console you can play at home or on the go. Nothing else to it, just a strong hook. Just goes to show how us enthusiasts have a habit of getting caught up in the nitty-gritty, heh.

It tends to be the same folks who think the NES Classic will flop due to the lack of an eShop.

Livin' in a bubble.

skypunch

Banned
Let's not get hasty now.

Let's

e8h8NgP.jpg

It's funny because here on GAF there's a lot of threads going, "oh, is Skyrim REALLY confirmed??" "hey, they didn't technically say there's a touch screen" "does the dock make it go 1080p?"

While I totally think it'd be nice to have detailed specs ASAP, don't get me wrong, to the general public, the message is as clear and straight-to-the-point as possible. It's a console you can play at home or on the go. Nothing else to it, just a strong hook. Just goes to show how us enthusiasts have a habit of getting caught up in the nitty-gritty, heh.

The fact it doesn't look like a plastic toy is a big win.

Switch will outsell Wii U's entire run within its first 18 months and that's being conservative on my part.

It will maybe sell as much as the Wii U by the end of it's life and that's being very generous on my part. Though, again, obviously price is the determining factor. If it costs as much as the Wii U did at launch, it will never come close to touching Wii U's sales numbers, if it costs somewhere around what the 2DS does right now, it MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT be able to outsell the Wii U's lifetime sales, but Nintendo has garnered a lot of ill will from Wii U customers feeling incredibly burnt over the last 5 years and are going to need to pull some kind of rabbit out of their hat to win those people back.

JP

When the Switch launches, it will be the fastest and best selling console of its generation.
It's generation? There's a generation somewhere after the Wii U generation and before the PS4/Xbox One generation of consoles?

It will easily be the fastest selling console of that generation as it'll be the only console in that generation.

Big-E

I am interested in getting one for the family, but I really want to know what resolution is going to be outputted to the tv.

Tratorn

How were the rumours confusing/complicated?
They were just as easy understandable than what we have now. That's why the trailer wasn't really surprising, since it only showed what already was expected.

It was still a new open-world game from Rockstar. Here's another example, the God of War: Ascension debut gameplay has 1.1m views. It was posted in 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSo6IwTBMmw

God of War's (PS4) trailer has 13m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ_GCPaKywg

Well, that's certainly a much better example, yes. There's really no question that YT has grown substantially over the years.

It also helps that the Ascension reveal was kind of lame and the God of War (PS4) unveiling was absolutely amazing.

test_account

XP-39C²
They should've showed Pokémon GO on the thing. People already get together outdoors for that!
Not sure if the game will come concidering that you need mobile data to get it to work. Of course its always possible to tether with your cellphone, but not sure if it will be done if you need to "hack" a solution like that.

In less than two days, "First Look at Nintendo Switch" has now exceeded 11 million views on Nintendo's Youtube page, surpassing the official game trailer for Breath of the Wild and the Wii U E3 Reveal trailer (From IGN). These are the numbers at the time of writing:

First Look at Nintendo Switch - 11,611,227 views

Nintendo Wii U Trailer (E3 2011) - 11,422,341 views

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 9,358,977 views

On a slightly unrelated tangent, I heard from multiple people before the trailer launched that Red Dead Redemption 2's trailer would have exponentially more viewers than the Nintendo Switch, as both launched on the same morning. So.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer - 4,607,413 views

'funny' cat video has 53,000,000 views.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf_IIbT8HGk

It will maybe sell as much as the Wii U by the end of it's life and that's being very generous on my part. Though, again, obviously price is the determining factor. If it costs as much as the Wii U did at launch, it will never come close to touching Wii U's sales numbers, if it costs somewhere around what the 2DS does right now, it MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT be able to outsell the Wii U's lifetime sales, but Nintendo has garnered a lot of ill will from Wii U customers feeling incredibly burnt over the last 5 years and are going to need to pull some kind of rabbit out of their hat to win those people back.

I legitimately can't understand how anyone can look at this and think this is another Wii U. Everything about the Wii U was completely bungled. The name, the marketing, the price, the launch lineup, the timing, an unnecessary gimmick that didn't benefit many of its games in a meaningful way, and a weak reveal.

This has a good, snappy name, a legitimate hook that people are pretty warm to, and some launch/early games that seem to be exactly what the people want (Zelda was the talk of E3, 3D Mario is always a big deal, and Splatoon was a huuuuuge success - the tweet confirming it in Japanese has as many retweets as the system reveal trailer from NOA!). The video statistics show the marketing is doing its job. Price is the only thing up in the air now but reports seem to suggest it should be reasonable.

Especially since this is succeeding the 3DS as well which did 10 million a year on average.

Like come on. I can get being conservative but this thing beating the Wii U in its first year is entirely doable and probably even realistic.

They should've showed Pokémon GO on the thing. People already get together outdoors for that!

People keep saying this and it keeps not making any sense.

Not sure if the game will come concidering that you need mobile data to get it to work. Of course its always possible to tether with your cellphone, but not sure if it will be done if you need to "hack" a solution like that.

If you're doing that... then you have a phone with a data plan. In which case, just play Pokémon on your phone.

Trojan

So far they did a solid job on the Switch reveal. I heard a lot of friends talking about it and I was intrigued even though I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the goddamn N64. Doesn't indicate success yet but it's the best you could hope for at this stage.

The 2DS costs $80. What in the World is wrong with you?

Tratorn

I'm thinking 30 million is the floor for it

I'm not sure if Nintendo would qualify that as "a big hit". :p
3DS will be at 65m+ in the end and WiiU 14-15m. Going down to only 30m with would be pretty bad for them.
But I doubt that anyways. 15m is probably the minimum for it in japan alone.

Top Bottom