• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo switch UK price £279.99

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Hah. I've never though of that before. Can you apply multiple gift cards to a Preorder then, if you want to pay it off in installments?

you just top up your amazon account with whatever you want and apply the balance to your order. it will deduct the amount and if there's anything left by the time of dispatch it'll be charged to your card.

for example, i could pay £100 today, £100 next saturday, then the remaining £180 on the 27th. or instead of paying the £180 i could leave it then it'd only charge £180 at dispatch to my card.

MDave

Wooo I got to play the Switch in Manchester today. It's a nice piece of kit! The neon looks good, though the blue controller isn't so neon. It's kind of a dull blue compared to the neon red, the difference in brightness and colour saturation is noticeable. All red neon or all grey looks the best.

I got to play the usual round of games:

Mario Kart 8 deluxe
Zelda
Splatoon 2
1 2 Switch (Quick Draw, Milk, Ball count)
Arms

I could feel the HD rumble in all of them, it's not as revolutionary as I was expecting but it's alot more 'real' feeling then current controller rumbles. It doesn't feel too strong in Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 or Zelda, but there is strong feedback in Arms.

I couldn't feel them rumble when driving in Mario Kart except when I got a ramp and landed from a jump, as well as getting hit from items.

Arms is great, but you definitely need to play with someone that understands the controls and remembers them after the brief tutorial. Movement felt great with the tilting of the joy cons and the dashing and jumping.

Mario Kart 8 deluxe is really nice to play in handheld mode!

One unfortunate part of games being played on the TVs they had were ... They were 4K Panasonic 50 inch TV's that really show the jaggies in Splatoon 2 and even Zelda. Noticeable input lag too, especially on Zelda so I tried that in handheld mode and it was much better.

Arms looked the best on those TV's thanks to it being 1080p and with good AA, it should look even better on a 1080p set.

I put my hand on the back of the Switch to feel it's temperature and it was pretty warm, could feel cool air being drawn into those 2 intake vents on the back, more so on the vent closer to the kickstand.

In all I'm glad I got to play around with it and the games, I wasn't sure about dropping the money on it and thought about canceling my pre-order before I got to play it today, but now I'm 100% in!

I would say don't cancel your pre-order if your on the fence about it still, try it first if you can.

Any questions on anything that hasn't been answered before? :p

jeffers

Wooo I got to play the Switch in Manchester today. It's a nice piece of kit! The neon looks good, though the blue controller isn't so neon. It's kind of a dull blue compared to the neon red, the difference in brightness and colour saturation is noticeable. All red neon or all grey looks the best.

One unfortunate part of games being played on the TVs they had were ... They were 4K Panasonic 50 inch TV's that really show the jaggies in Splatoon 2 and even Zelda. Noticeable input lag too, especially on Zelda so I tried that in handheld mode and it was much better.

Arms looked the best on those TV's thanks to it being 1080p and with good AA, it should look even better on a 1080p set.
was there on friday, sitting a couple feet from those TVs was definitely a weird choice.

coughlanio

Yep very strange

Nothing on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram feeds or on TV adverts.

Perhaps they are waiting until Mario Kart 8 to have a bigger presence in the marketing department. Hopefully by then they have basic features like Netflix and YouTube ready.

No point in wasting those advertising dollars when their initial inventory is likely sold out anyway - better off doing a blitz shortly after launch, after the launch window word-of-mouth quietens down.

KAL2006

Banned
No point in wasting those advertising dollars when their initial inventory is likely sold out anyway - better off doing a blitz shortly after launch, after the launch window word-of-mouth quietens down.

I've seen Amazon have stock available for day 1 countless times

Edit
Just checked now again and it available for release day right now.

you just top up your amazon account with whatever you want and apply the balance to your order. it will deduct the amount and if there's anything left by the time of dispatch it'll be charged to your card.

for example, i could pay £100 today, £100 next saturday, then the remaining £180 on the 27th. or instead of paying the £180 i could leave it then it'd only charge £180 at dispatch to my card.

Haha I can't believe I've never considered that. I mean, if makes total logical sense, but I just never thought to apply it that way.

Don't amazon use the balance on your next order automatically anyway? So you might not even have to do anything to your order. You should be able to add £300 quid to you balance and providing you don't order anything between now and launch it will use the balance first.

I think.

But i don't really want to risk that haha.

noal

Banned
Don't amazon use the balance on your next order automatically anyway? So you might not even have to do anything to your order. You should be able to add £300 quid to you balance and providing you don't order anything between now and launch it will use the balance first.

I think.

But i don't really want to risk that haha.

That's what I was thinking of doing but if I could apply it to the order that would be even better. I don't see an option to do that though.

That's what I was thinking of doing but if I could apply it to the order that would be even better. I don't see an option to do that though.

Yeah i ain't going to risk it, only 15 quid at the end of the day. Been looking at previous threads on this issue and no one is quite sure.

nope the only way is applying the gift card. i was gonna do it because i hate having money in my bank and not being able to spend it. i'd rather just pay it straight away. i'm not touching my order just incase it delays it.

yeah i'm the same, I might gamble on the gift card thing cause it still appears to be in stock!

edit - scratch that the neon one is now OOS :(

I've noticed the grey switch has jumped to best seller for the first time in a while.

Guessing people are starting to panic now the neon is out of stock again 😂

noal

Banned
I also noticed on my order that it says delivery by 9pm. I don't recall that being there before. If I'm remembering correctly my Wii U was delivered about 2pm - hoping for a bit earlier this time.

Also, if you are on Prime, double check when your membership fee is being taken out of your bank. Mine is on 1st March - great timing that!

I also noticed on my order that it says delivery by 9pm. I don't recall that being there before. If I'm remembering correctly my Wii U was delivered about 2pm - hoping for a bit earlier this time.

Also, if you are on Prime, double check when your membership fee is being taken out of your bank. Mine is on 1st March - great timing that!

Amazon delivery times is always up until 9pm. Latest I've ever got one is 7pm mind

Hasney

Amazon delivery times is always up until 9pm. Latest I've ever got one is 7pm mind

Also worth noting that Amazon Logistics wasn't a thing when the Wii U launched, so that's why they're until later now.

Amazon sent me an email to confirm I'm getting one day one, so I guess I'll just stick with my preorder.

Where's the best price currently for Breath of the wild?

Mandelbo

Another forum user on a different forum, posted this, Switch adverts in Sainsbury's

Don't know if it is on a recurring loop or not i'm not sure, but either way that be the first Tv Ad i've seen. (Second hand)

Have seen these in my local Sainsbury's too. It was the first actual Switch ad I'd seen too, kinda took me by surprise! There were lots of ads around here on buses and such for Pokemon Sun and Moon, and the special edition 2DS, so I hope they at least get that sort of thing nailed down soon.

Actually come to think of it, I think our Sainsbury's delivery vans still have ads for Halo 5 on them :p

popo

I'm still yet to see a single bit of advertising for the switch here in the uk. Seems strange 2 weeks from launch

No point. Pre orders are coming along nicely. I am sure they will advertising it very close to launch and the fact that most launch stock is already OOS on the high street just builds the hype.

Protome

Pretty sure if you're seeing the Switch go out of Stock on Amazon that's just a bug. They've had it consistently available since after that first rush.

I actually cancelled mine on Monday with them and switched to the Neon.

JonnyKong

I read the other day on the Metro gaming site, I think it was Friday, the editor replied to somebodies email with a response like "we know Nintendo are about to step up with their advertising" so I'm guessing something might start happening next week, who knows. I think all the press have their consoles so we should get some videos soon, and hopefully more info on the console itself.

Sane_Man

Has anyone else ordered from Tesco? I've just checked my order and it says delivery on Monday 06 March. I'm wondering if this is just the estimate based on standard shipping. Surely it will come on the Friday?

I'm worried now. Really wish I'd just ordered in store at Game so I could just go pick it up and not worry about delivery but there'll be no stock left now.

Anyone else at the stage now where the first thing you do when you wake up is check the arrive by date for your pre-order?

Going to be such a long 2 weeks

JimiNutz

Banned
Pretty sure I'm gonna cancel my pre-order today. I still think it's too expensive and as release grows nearer I'm simply not as excited as I expected.

Mario Kart and ARMS should have been ready for launch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pretty sure I'm gonna cancel my pre-order today. I still think it's too expensive and as release grows nearer I'm simply not as excited as I expected.

I preordered, cancelled and preordered again. If you think it'll still be £279 at Christmas for Mario (when I originally thought to buy in), then why not jump in early and play the games as they come along? Spreads the cost so you don't have 3-4 games to buy at once (at Christmas when there are a ton of other games vying for attention and time too), and in the downtime you'll probably have plenty of other things to play from other platforms.

I have a feeling we will see a lot of 3rd party docks arriving in a few weeks. The base unit is just plastic with the relevant ports, so it's nothing special to copy.

I want to say Nintendo were quoted in the last week saying something about the dock is proprietary? But I could be wrong about that. There was definitely something of that nature discussed.

Edit: so in terms of actually sending video to the TV, apparently there is proprietary tech there with the dock, while of course the USB cable is a universal cable for charging. Not sure what that would mean for third part tbh.

I'm thinking about buying two Switches. One to take on the go, the other on to leave at home that can be used by the whole family.

Is this a stupid thing to do? Regarding accounts etc?

I'm thinking about buying two Switches. One to take on the go, the other on to leave at home that can be used by the whole family.

Seems like a funny thing to do with a system designed to be portable, but if your family really wants to use it all the time, the fine.

weekev

Banned
I want to say Nintendo were quoted in the last week saying something about the dock is proprietary? But I could be wrong about that. There was definitely something of that nature discussed.

Edit: so in terms of actually sending video to the TV, apparently there is proprietary tech there with the dock, while of course the USB cable is a universal cable for charging. Not sure what that would mean for third part tbh.
It would mean any third party docks would need to be licensed with Nintendo which means I'd be surprised if you get a cheap 3rd party option.

jts

...hate me...
I have a feeling we will see a lot of 3rd party docks arriving in a few weeks. The base unit is just plastic with the relevant ports, so it's nothing special to copy.
It has a built-in USB-C hub which many manufacturers make yes (and usually also sell for over £50, at least the good brands), so won't be much of a problem to make one in that regard, but apparently Nintendo has put some sort of proprietary chip for protection so they will also have to go around that - which shouldn't prove too hard to do.

I want a 3rd party dock but not like Nintendo's dock - more like a simple small USB-C hub that I can just plug into the Switch and easily carry anywhere.

Don't need much more than this:

USB-C-Charging-ADAPTER-WITH-USB-C-HDMI-and-USB-A-3-500x638.jpg

Except maybe an extra USB-A for good measure.

They're both out so soon after launch - blink and you'll miss the gap.

Confirmed that accounts can be switched between systems at will. Purchases are on the account now, not the console.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
They will be available but at a ridiculous price of £90.

that is ridiculous indeed. makes you wonder if eventually they'll release a standalone switch without the dock/grip. bringing it down to £190 or even less (not sure how much the grip is worth) would help a lot. you could still "switch" from handheld mode to tabletop mode.

Hasney

that is ridiculous indeed. makes you wonder if eventually they'll release a standalone switch without the dock/grip. bringing it down to £190 or even less (not sure how much the grip is worth) would help a lot. you could still "switch" from handheld mode to tabletop mode.

Its probably not worth that much, just priced as a total luxury.

Top Bottom