• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teams up with Tesco for Wii U fight back

AniHawk

No. I know that's 'how it works', but I wanted the specifics of the Vita deal, if they were available. He didn't say 'Sony', he mentioned the Vita specifically which lead me to believe I'd missed some retail anecdote juiciness.

sony summoned the dragonballs and wished for more shelf space for the vita

Please tell me you're joking?

Shelves in supermarkets are for sale. The closer to the eye level, the more expensive it gets. Oh and you want those racks in between alleyz? It's even more expensive and part of promotions.

Every one pays for that space. Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Calvin Klein, Sony, Nintendo. That's how it woks.

No, man. Buying shelf space is a New Low™.

Vaiim

Why didn't they have a massive ad budget last year when the damn thing launched? Isn't this a bit after the horse has left the barn.

Not really when the games are getting there now. Anyone who hasn't bought a WiiU yet has a pretty solid collection of games to try, and most of them are pretty unique compared to all the yearly franchises and similar-looking AAA games floating around on PC/PS360 at the moment (with the exception of a couple of gems!).

Compared to the non cross-gen games on PS4/XBone at launch, the WiiU has better value for money with the games available than it had at launch.

Seance

Banned
speechless.gif

You know i have never really understood the message of this gif. Is it saying

a) I was considering arguing your point but you are obviously very stupid, so i dropped it.

or

b) I was considering arguing your point but you are clearly correct, so i dropped it.

Or am i completely off base?

CrisKre

You know i have never really understood the message of this gif. Is it saying

a) I was considering arguing your point but you are obviously very stupid, so i dropped it.

or

b) I was considering arguing your point but you are clearly correct, so i dropped it.

Or am i completely off base?

I'm this case: a.

Or I wouldn't know where to start to correct you.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Shelves in supermarkets are for sale. The closer to the eye level, the more expensive it gets. Oh and you want those racks in between alleyz? It's even more expensive and part of promotions.

Every one pays for that space. Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Calvin Klein, Sony, Nintendo. That's how it woks.

booking in store space.......lmao I have never heard of that being done before

And it goes on and on. lol

I can't tell if people are joking, trolling or just incredibly uninformed anymore.. :(

Kimawolf

Let's go Nintendo, this is your "second chance". You have some good games out and coming, push that shit like no tomorrow. this is it, the Xbone and Ps4 will be supply constrained like every console ever, and parents will want to put something new and shiny under the tree for little Billy.

Lexxism

You are wrong. It's new low said by this guy.

Buying shelf space in stores now. It's a new low.

edit: lol beaten

-MB-

Sounds like Tesco threatened to pull the WiiU entirely, and Nintendo had to respond. UK retailers have them by the balls right now really, and when things don't play out well, I can see the WiiU disappearing entirely from many stores in 2014.

Sounds more like wishful thinking on your part, really.

SmokyDave

It's prety obvious Sony did it during the Vita's initial launch and marketing push.

That they gave up on it and instead dedicated their bought space to the PS3 (and soon to be released PS4) is just them trying to get the most out of their spending I would guess.

Now did they buy more space just for the Vita? Probably, do they still do? I doubt it
I dig all that, I just wanted the specifics. I expected TechnicPuppet to reply with a link to an MCV article or similar (such as the one in the OP). I wanted to see the dates because the supermarkets near me haven't stocked any Vita games for months. Whatever Sony paid for Vita shelving evidently ran out a while back. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that the overall concept was outrageous, I just wanted the specifics.

sony summoned the dragonballs and wished for more shelf space for the vita
Well apparently they need to summon some more 'round my way.

m.i.s.

Banned
Nintendo will be targeting its activity against kids and parents, a very different audience to PS4 and Xbox One. But Pearce added that winning over Nintendo fans will prove crucial.

Well at least Nintendo UK have realised what's up with their demographics. This thing was never going to fly outside of young children and parents.

And will kids even want a Wii U? Most would want a PS4 I'd guess.

KAL2006

Banned
It's cute that they are trying now, but I predict the Wii U will continue to fail and Nintendo won't know what to do next after this holiday and Mario Kart next year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sounds like Tesco threatened to pull the WiiU entirely, and Nintendo had to respond. UK retailers have them by the balls right now really, and when things don't play out well, I can see the WiiU disappearing entirely from many stores in 2014.

Buying shelf space in stores now. It's a new low.

Right on schedule.

As for buyingshelf space, aren't video games different where the shelf space is free but stores decide how much space to give each of the three? I recall stories about Nintendo asking stores not to cut shelf space (as Sony had when the PS3 was struggling), if it were bought and paid for as Nintendo is doing now it wouldn't be an issue as nintendo's shelf space is in the contracts.

Hope this means we have hype incoming for WindWaker and Pokemon in Tesco ( assuming this deal kicks in next week) wonder if Tesco will get some preorder goodies too?

KAL2006

Banned
Wii U is gonna get destroyed this holiday from next gen systems. Hell even with PS3 with GT6 or 360 with COD Ghosts or even Nintendo's own 2DS with Pokemon X Y.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sounds more like wishful thinking on your part, really.

Right on schedule.

Reality must suck for you guys :( Rumblings of retailers wanting to just shitcan the WiiU have been echoing forth all year. Nintendo is having to jump through multiple hoops with first the lowered stock price deals to enable the ineffective flash price drops from supermarkets, and now things like advertising on the biggest stores behalf just to keep WiiU in the game.

If this Christmas and a Mario and a Sonic doesn't shift the needle acceptably, its game over. Unfortunately for Nintendo, this Christmas is also PS4/Xbone-aggedon.

CTLance

So... I'm guessing the 300k customers have somehow consented to getting spam sent their way, right? Not sure how the Tesco -> customers with prior Wii purchases connection works.

Jezbollah

Well at least Nintendo UK have realised what's up with their demographics. This thing was never going to fly outside of young children and parents.

And will kids even want a Wii U? Most would want a PS4 I'd guess.

The problem Nintendo have, is that kids are either happy enough with the Wii, or that they're playing IOS/Android games on phones/tablets. Likewise, the casual demographic of adults that bought a Wii would likely be happy with Wii Sports/Wii Fit, than pay for a Wii U version of that software.

The demographic above (young teens) is where you get into 360/PS3 ownership - they'll be waiting for Xbone/PS4.

Nintendo simply don't have a major, compelling reason for young children and parents to invest in the Wii U - especially with the economical times we are going through (inflation, bills going up etc). The UK is a value market - Wii U is struggling to give value to make it worth buying.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm sure as a community, we're collectively crossing our fingers this works out, and we have a decent third competitor in this upcoming race

....I just don't think it'll work.

The Wii U will be in 3rd place (5th if you count 3DS and Vita) by the end of the year on the UK. They had almost 12 months to make this sort of push with minimal competition, now they're going to run into a wall of preorders.

Jezbollah

So... I'm guessing the 300k customers have somehow consented to getting spam sent their way, right? Not sure how the Tesco -> customers with prior Wii purchases connection works.

Clubcard members get store vouchers sent to them all the time via post, so promotional leaflets wont be a problem.

jwhit28

Those reward/member/mvp cards, anything designed by the retailer to be swiped at the register to give you a discount or reward points. that is there only purpose.

LocalE

Reality must suck for you guys :( Rumblings of retailers wanting to just shitcan the WiiU have been echoing forth all year. Nintendo is having to jump through multiple hoops with first the lowered stock price deals to enable the ineffective flash price drops from supermarkets, and now things like advertising on the biggest stores behalf just to keep WiiU in the game.

If this Christmas and a Mario and a Sonic doesn't shift the needle acceptably, its game over. Unfortunately for Nintendo, this Christmas is also PS4/Xbone-aggedon.

Ok, but what kind of continue system does this game use?
So maybe Nintendo won't 1cc this, but I don't think they'll just quit after the holidays regardless.

It'll be tracked through Clubcard use. The whole deal with that is you get a few percent rebate in exchange for providing Tesco data about your shopping habits and accepting targeted marketing based on that.

Jay Sosa

I'm sure as a community, we're collectively crossing our fingers this works out, and we have a decent third competitor in this upcoming race

Nah, Nintendo fucked up and that is what they deserve.

And this campaign will help jack shit.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I dig all that, I just wanted the specifics. I expected TechnicPuppet to reply with a link to an MCV article or similar (such as the one in the OP). I wanted to see the dates because the supermarkets near me haven't stocked any Vita games for months. Whatever Sony paid for Vita shelving evidently ran out a while back. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that the overall concept was outrageous, I just wanted the specifics.

An article about that would be like writing an article about the local supermarket putting up a display for a Coca Cola endcap or a Best Buy putting up a cardboard display for the new Blu-Ray release. It's so day-to-day common that there's absolutely no reason to take any note of it in the press. If a product's section expands noticeably after being a certain size (especially small) for a long time, especially if the expansion includes non-standard branded decoration, you can be sure the product's manufacturer paid good money for that promotional space and content.

I wonder if I will get one of those leaflets. It just seems like a waste of money (the leaflets) because the shit we get sent through mail is ridiculous. Throw everything out except the ones where its addressed to us and has a company name we recognise.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ok, but what kind of continue system does this game use?
So maybe Nintendo won't 1cc this, but I don't think they'll just quit after the holidays regardless.

2 options on the continue screen:

- Create super console of dreams(casts) with bleeding edge tech, new way to play (VR+motioncontrol+???) all bundled in, lose money on it, but aggressively carve way back into 50+ million home console market.

- Gracefully bow out of home console market, focus on next handheld (HD) providing hybrid experience through TV dongle plugin

-MB-

I am sure you would love for that to happen.

Top Bottom