• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: "We Can't Satisfy Core Gamers And We Hope They Enjoy It"

wRATH2x

Banned
Well I lost almost all interest I had in Nintendo this generation. And well what she said is pretty dumb, Capcom have been releasing quality after quality to much praise and love. So yeah please keep us "Hungry".

OnPoint

Daante said:
Kinda yeah, since i own a DS and like it alot. Makes sense?

No, not really. You don't really care how they position "themselfs" because you don't have a problem with the DS. You just seem like the type who wants to troll the Wii for whatever reason you have, and Nintendo's press conference will likely provide you ammunition for months to come. This doesn't help your case:

Daante said:
Conclusion: True HD gaming with nice graphics, and framerate with controllers without waggle thingie FTW

Yep. Works well with this.

Daante said:
If i want to experience a good time in front of my 8:gen Kuro HD Pioneer 50" plasma i stay with my PS3

What's the Sixaxis again? I don't mean to be a hater, but make up your mind.

seriousbusiness.jpg

Eteric Rice

Conclusion: True HD gaming with nice graphics, and framerate with controllers without waggle thingie FTW

Indeed, PC for the win! :O

I don't see what the fuck you guys are complaining about. We got House of the Dead: Overkill, Madworld, Excitebots, Klonoa, and Punch-Out and Little King's Story are coming out soon. And we're only in the 5th month of the year.

Unless you mean Nintendo themselves, well yeah, they've always been slow as hell. But they have released a new Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Brawl, etc. Games take time, mang.

What the fuck do you want?

Porridge

Nintendo's core fan is getting older and one day won't be there (sniffle). I'm unsure if Wii Sports and Wii Fit aren't just hollow game demos or endearing games that will turn into lasting franchises.

Porridge said:
Nintendo's core fan is getting older and one day won't be there (sniffle). I'm unsure if Wii Sports and Wii Fit aren't just hollow game demos or endearing games that will turn into lasting franchises.
it just takes the same ammount of effort to do a flash minigame collection so i dont care about this and gta 4 has better minigames.

perfectchaos007 said:
We ask for hardcore games and you give us Animal Crossing and expect us to be happy for a year.
a realy new animal crossing would be great but its nearly the same game as the ds version with minimal upgrades.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Eteric Rice said:
Indeed, PC for the win! :O

I don't see what the fuck you guys are complaining about. We got House of the Dead: Overkill, Madworld, Excitebots, Klonoa, and Punch-Out and Little King's Story are coming out soon. And we're only in the 5th month of the year.

Unless you mean Nintendo themselves, well yeah, they've always been slow as hell. But they have released a new Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Brawl, etc. Games take time, mang.

What the fuck do you want?
You know, I just had flashbacks to Gamecube era arguments.

*shakes head at Nintendo*

You guys don't understand.

We ask for hardcore games and you give us Animal Crossing and expect us to be happy for a year.

You show us Disaster Day of Crisis at E3 2006 and don't even release it stateside.

You cancel project hammer

You won't listen to the hundreds of thousands of requests to localize mother/earthbound.

You think, according to recent PR statements, that we are always wanting another Mario or Zelda game to satisfy our core needs. This is not true. We want ANYTHING thats not strictly for casuals like Wii Fit/ Wii Music/ Mario Party. It doesn't have to be the new Mario adventure or Zelda, it just has to be for the gamer.

maniac-kun said:
it just takes the same ammount of effort to do a flash minigame collection so i dont care about this and gta 4 has better minigames.

Really? So how come everyone isn't doing it then and selling 20 million copies of cheap flash mini game collections?

adama-rama

Neo Member
Honestly, with Mad World and Little Kings Story still left for me to finish, I'm kinda happy there isn't a massive Nintendo game launching soon. Then I'd have less time to play The Conduit next month.

So yeh, thanks Nintendo :D

adama-rama said:
Honestly, with Mad World and Little Kings Story still left for me to finish, I'm kinda happy I don't have a massive Nintendo game launching soon. Then I'd have less time to play The Conduit next month.

Those are third party games. They don't count. There's nothing but casual waggle crap for the Wii now, Nintendo doesn't care about us.

I thought they would have learned their lesson when I didn't buy the GameC....er, supported them last generation.

Shin Johnpv said:
Really? So how come everyone isn't doing it then and selling 20 million copies of cheap flash mini game collections?
you sure dont need a killzone 2 like budget or manpower to do wii sports. its just a simple engine and some simple grafics with stupid controles where movements replace button presses. and it ships as a demo disc in most country with the wii.
i leave simple games for the simple minded.

Eteric Rice

maniac-kun said:
you sure dont need a killzone 2 like budget or manpower to do wii sports. its just a simple engine and some simple grafics with stupid controles where movements replace button presses. and it ships as a demo disc in most country with the wii.

Yes, because something is simple to play, it's for simple minded people.

Do me a favor. Grab a camera, and try to keep up with this guy's simple game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwC544Z37qo

RevenantKioku said:
You know, I just had flashbacks to Gamecube era arguments.

Right...

perfectchaos007 said:

You show us Disaster Day of Crisis at E3 2006 and don't even release it stateside.

You won't listen to the hundreds of thousands of requests to localize mother/earthbound.

You think, according to recent PR statements, that we are always wanting another Mario or Zelda game to satisfy our core needs. This is not true. We want ANYTHING thats not strictly for casuals like Wii Fit/ Wii Music/ Mario Party. It doesn't have to be the new Mario adventure or Zelda, it just has to be for the gamer.

You have your Smash Bros and Mario Kart.

You should be grateful!

OnPoint

maniac-kun said:

Doesn't really answer the question...

But that's either a joke post or you're incredibly closed minded. So I guess it's a wash either way.

Yes Boss!

perfectchaos007 said:

Wii Fit, Wii Music, and Mario Party are for everyone just like Super Mario Bros on the NES was and just like all the new franchises that appear every generation on Nintendo consoles.

If you didn't pick up ExiteBots and and are not planning on picking up Punch Out!! then it is probably time to move on to PS360. Really, Nintendo hasn't changed much this generation other than expanding their portfolio, releasing more games than ever, and finding audiences that Sony and Microsoft forgot existed. Galaxy and Twilight are surely the last of the types of games in those franchises that we will see that appeal to the type of gamer birthed in the PS1 era.

Bottom line: if a certain portion of GAF is now disenfranchised with Nintendo that same portion is slowly going to become disenfranchised with the direction MS and Sony will be heading in the next ten years...if both of those companies remain in the gaming space.

OnPoint

Yes Boss! said:
If you didn't pick up ExiteBots and and are not planning on picking up Punch Out!! then it is probably time to move on to PS360. Really, Nintendo hasn't changed much this generation other than expanding their portfolio, releasing more games than ever, and finding audiences that Sony and Microsoft forgot existed. Galaxy and Twilight are surely the last of the types of games in those franchises that we will see that appeal to the type of gamer birthed in the PS1 era.

Didn't Nintendo hint they're making a sequel? I sure hope so.

Yes Boss!

Kenka said:
I don't know about you guys but this PR makes me furious.

Are they thinking we're stupid or something ?

Protip: They are not talking to you.

OnPoint said:
Didn't Nintendo hint they're making a sequel? I sure hope so.

If a sequel comes it won't be they type of sequel GAF is expecting, that is for sure.

Also, I think what Kaigler is trying to get across is the Nintendo does not want to fall into the trap that others have fallen into. Disney ran their animation legacy into the gutter from overexposure and Pixar is getting dangerously close to a similar situation by going with annual releases.

Yes Boss! said:
Wii Fit, Wii Music, and Mario Party are for everyone just like Super Mario Bros on the NES was and just like all the new franchises that appear every generation on Nintendo consoles.

Bottom line: if a certain portion of GAF is now disenfranchised with Nintendo that same portion is slowly going to become disenfranchised with the direction MS and Sony will be heading in the next ten years...if both of those companies remain in the gaming space.

dammit I don't want to, but Nintendo isn't leaving me much choice. I'd like to think I've out grown Nintendo, but now Nintendo seems to be appealing to an audience much older than me!! It's not that nintendo is kiddy, it never has been for me, I've never found zelda or Mario kiddy, but the software they bring out now is just so casual. They did give us metroid and last I heard, Retro is still in business so maybe we'll hear something from them? but a 360 is just a $199 investment so I guess I don't have much to lose. It's sure better than waiting on Nintendo to please me. That sounded wrong

MarkusRJR

I've already decided that the Wii is the last Nintendo console I'll be buying, so comments like these just support my decision.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Linkified said:
Is this the same PR person that I think some site tried to interview and she didn't know the difference between core and casual? I guess she learned the difference.:lol

She knows the difference, but she's trying to challenge people's concept of core gaming.

This is Nintendo's mission, the reason why they will not pigeonhole certain gamers at every turn is because they want to bridge them all. Denise Kaigler knows this, and if you have the opportunity to ask Nintendo, and you pay attention to what they're saying, you'll notice it right away.

The reason why "core" gamers, as most people are defining now won't be satisfied with E3 is because Nintendo wants to change the definition of "Core".

When bitmob asked her what Nintendo can do to satisfy the Core audiences besides reviving franchises, the question itself is really uninformed. Hardcore gamers want new franchises from Nintendo that cater to their needs, what Nintendo wants to do is to introduce gamers into a realm where values from the expanded audience and Core values are bridged. That is, you likely won't get "new" IPs specifically catered to the hardcore, because you'll mistake them for casual games.

What Nintendo calls Core is really their existing fanbase and new experiences that can be shared with expanded audience members. From that definition Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii and Phantom Hourglass are all Core games. Not a macho culture of bigger and badder, visuals and explosions on new IPs that can't be shared with everybody. They're not gonna be doing that now.

Barrett2

Considering this is the same company that as early as 1987 would intentionally undership good games at Christmas in hopes that customers would be forced to buy shitty games and wait til after Christmas to get the good games they want, I can't believe anyone remains to be shocked at anything Nintendo does. They have been all about dicking consumers around in one way or another from day 1.

Haunted

How do I satisfy core?

You can't! We are insatiable. That said, I've been playing more 3rd party than Nintendo games on my Wii this year (at least so far), so that says something about their recent output.

Barrett2

adama-rama said:
Honestly, with Mad World and Little Kings Story still left for me to finish, I'm kinda happy there isn't a massive Nintendo game launching soon. Then I'd have less time to play The Conduit next month.

seek help

Yes Boss! said:

Great post. Nintendo has actually increased their output this gen over last; if gamers aren't satisfied with it then they should seriously reconsider if Nintendo is for them.

JCX

gaf complains about its backlog, then complains that nintendo is not making enough "core games" to contribute to said backlog.

Think about that for a second.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Video game companies, especially Nintendo, really need to stop letting people outside of Japan talk.

Calcaneus

You know, if I only owned a Wii this gen, I would be pissed off reading this. Whether its the fault of the third-parties or Nintendo, there just aren't as many good "core" games coming to the Wii as there are coming to the HD consoles. And seeing this statement that basically says, "We read the complaints and it just shows how much we're loved" all the while NOA is still dragging their feet on bringing some games here. I can see why people are calling bs on this.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Stupid PR is stupid.

That being said 1st party game-wise, Nintendo has supported their machine far more than Sony and Microsoft have, so most arguments to the contrary are moot.

Gattsu25

Banned
Nirolak said:
Apparently Nintendo's Denise Kaigler recently had an interview and gave some insight into how Nintendo views the complaints of "core" gamers on the Wii. I can't help but feel they're not really understanding the issue here...

"I will give you that hardcore gamers have an insatiable appetite for everything Nintendo," she said, "and we love that! We love that. When we get to a point where core gamers say, "OK, Nintendo, enough! We don't need any more games from you guys...." None of us wants to be put in that position, right?

"We don't want your appetite to ever be satisfied, because when we satisfy you, it's time for us to go [dusts off hands], "OK! Let's go on home now!" And none of us wants to go home. So there's this sort of fun...relationship, I think, that's happening between Nintendo and the hardcore gamer — which we enjoy and hope that the core gamer enjoys it."
Dude...you're reading that wrong. She's stating that the way they keep hardcore gamers is by starving them. By not giving them the games they want often enough.

So candid.

Where in the nintendos employees quote does it say that they cant satisfy core gamers and we hope they enjoy it?

There is a difference between bashing nintendo and Outright lying.

MGrant

I just don't get those defending this. Yes, hardcore gamers are insatiable, but Wii-only gamers are being starved. If Nintendo's only response to this is more empty rhetoric like "We're just too awesome for hardcore gamers!" instead of, you know, more than two or three releases a year, I will continue to be thankful that I also have my 360 and PC.

RevenantKioku said:
I dunno. I've been pretty damn satisfied. Dunno what you guys are having a problem with.

Sure you have...

orgasm060906_400x700.jpg

Doel

Well it clearly had the opposite effect on me. Nintendo consoles went from being my only console with the SNES and N64, to my 3rd in line console with the GCN and now the Wii. I never thought I would be playing the Wii less than I did the GCN, but I do. So I guess their plan of not satisfying us has cracks in it.

Epiphyte

perfectchaos007 said:

When are people finally gonna stop bitching about mother?

It's been 4 years, let it fucking go.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
gofreak said:
Hardcore gamers may be insatiable, but no need to f-ing starve them..

Why not? It works. Starve them and they will salivate over any tiny scrap you give you them. Right down to Punch Out and Wii Sports Resort.

Bizzyb

Banned
Taurus said:

Wow, he could have just as easily broken his neck and been paralyzed for life.

Awesome stunt though.

The only problem I have is with Nintendo doing these 3 month announcement-to-launch games. I HATE that. Excitebots and Punch-out are two examples. I just like to be a little more hyped and get the feeling that the game has been in development for a good amount of time. Yes I know it shouldn't matter if the game is fun/awesome but for some reason it matters to me.

Top Bottom