• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: WiiU screen isnt multitouch due to cost- DS screen was/is sufficient enough

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Well, we finally have official confirmation as to why the screen is stylus based and not multitouch based.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-nintendo/731555

Official quote:

The new screen is not multitouch. Well, with the DS certainly it's not multitouch and people have really enjoyed that interface and have found it sufficient for their needs for gaming. If you add something like multitouch you do up the cost, and so we're trying to strike the right balance between the robust set of features and capablilites for the hardware but also make it affordable to people.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
0412_mmump.gif

shocking

Makes no difference to me. I don't use multi all that much on my iPhone save for pinch to zoom and hardly any games outside of... Eliss use it in a compelling manner. I'll take the precision of the DS-esque screen thanks

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I like Nintendo's cheapskate mentality. Imagine if others took the same approach throught gaming history?

"Yeah, the one button joystick worked great for us with the 2600, and people enjoyed it, so we decided to go with that for our new 5200 model." - Atari

jman2050

I like Nintendo's cheapskate mentality. Imagine if others took the same approach throught gaming history?

"Yeah, the one button joystick worked great for us with the 2600, and people enjoyed it, so we decided to go with that for our new 5200 model." - Atari

Nintendo's been going with the cheapskate mentality since the NES. It seems to have worked fine for them up to this point.

McHuj

That's actually surprising. Given the volume of multitouch devices at this point, I would have thought the costs were very similar. Outside of the 3DS, WiiU, and kids $99 "tablets" does anyone use resistive touch screens anymore?

gogogow

Well, we finally have official confirmation as to why the screen is stylus based and not multitouch based like 99.9% of mobile/tablet devices today.

Official quote:

No shit, it's bundled with the console, what'd you expect lol. $599? Can't blame them, Nintendo actually wants to make some money, shocking!

I knew it came down to cost. People thinking Nintendo did this as a gameplay decision were kinda nuts.
hey, don't insult me :(

kidding, but honestly, I still prefer just being able to have Colors to all of the multitouch capabilities it could bring; the reason is that I don't remember the last time I used multitouch functionality of my smartphone... well, I am nuts :D

anyhow, apparently the screen is smooth enough to enable using fingers with responsive feedback

Honestly I think this is one of the most shortsighted decisions Nintendo has made for the WiiU. People are trained to expect it (especially with a tablet interface) and it greatly limits the possibilities for touch screen usage.

dock

For what we lose in multi-touch, it's nice to at least have better stylus input. Stylus still makes a lot of sense for a lot of interfaces, and capacitive styli for smartphones/tablets are nasty.

Eusis

Not really diggin' this.

We have $50 multitouch cellphones nowadays, and that's the price of the whole damn thing.
Probably an issue of multi touch resistive, plus the fact it has to be a larger screen for a controller versus a small cellphone.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
No shit, it's bundled with the console, what'd you expect lol. $599? Can't blame them, Nintendo actually wants to make some money, shocking!

There were some people certain that Nintendo did this as a gameplay design, not cost. That's really the only big news.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Expected.

The multi-touch/non multi-touch issue is something with been over about 10 times on the board already. It's mostly a non-issue because it actually has joysticks and buttons as well.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No HDD due to cost, no multi-touch due to cost, no _____ because of fuck you, you'll buy it anyway.

Living through certain king's reigns and watching what people accept for their liege but not the ruler of foreign climes is always fascinating yet deeply irritating conversational wise when someone gets enraged on one aspect or entirely placid depending on the coat they wear.

Anyone asked the region lock question yet?

Instro

I'd assume they would want a resistive multitouch screen as well, so the cost issue is certainly a problem. In the end, they have to be able to sell these GamePad's for a good price like $60 or w.e.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
hey, don't insult me :(

kidding, but honestly, I still prefer just being able to have Colors to all of the multitouch capabilities it could bring; the reason is that I don't remember the last time I used multitouch functionality of my smartphone... well, I am nuts :D

Baw, I'm sorry. :(

Really though, they did at least embrace the stylus with the picture sharing thing in the OS, so it's not a total misstep like I imagined it would be. But still a little disappointing.

seems like devs are already "challenged" on what to put on a second screen let alone how to interact with it

I really like the idea of getting the menus off the screen by having a map/hud on the controller, especially instead of waiting 2 seconds for it to load when i press start.

I just am concerned about the shape and size and weirdness of that controller.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Glad they're cheapskates, then.

Unless they meant "it's cheaper than a multitouch resistive screen", but I honestly doubt that's the case.

Einbroch

Banned
Not being multitouch is fine. But the DS screen sometimes doesn't recognize my finger (I'm a nail chewer).

So if it's like the DS, it's a problem for me.

Eusis

IPad + SmartGlass = vastly superior
Maybe after you figure out how to rip a Xbox controller in half and fuse it to the two sides. And you still couldn't stream games to it at a high speed I'd assume.
Someone's definitely going to try making that Frankenstein abomination.

jman2050

Not being multitouch is fine. But the DS screen sometimes doesn't recognize my finger (I'm a nail chewer).

So if it's like the DS, it's a problem for me.

The DS screen is pretty terrible for finger use, but I haven't had any issues on the 3DS screen. We'll see what happens.

Lot's of people eating their hats right about now. Some claim it was because Nintendo didn't have an use for multi touch, when the most down to earth people speculated cost was the reason.

Does Wii U even have a browser to take advantage of multi-touch?
Yes, and multi touch has potential for gameplay in the right hands.

gogogow

There were some people certain that Nintendo did this as a gameplay design, not cost. That's really the only big news.

Since when didn't Nintendo check their budgets when releasing hardware, N64 was the last one? They ain't Sony, MS. Really nothing new here.

That aside, it can't be both?
Your own quote and it ain't even Iwata or even Reggie saying it, but whatever.
The new screen is not multitouch. Well, with the DS certainly it's not multitouch and people have really enjoyed that interface and have found it sufficient for their needs for gaming. If you add something like multitouch you do up the cost, and so we're trying to strike the right balance between the robust set of features and capablilites for the hardware but also make it affordable to people.

Top Bottom