• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: WiiU screen isnt multitouch due to cost- DS screen was/is sufficient enough

KillGore

What happened to this generation? *insert laughing .gif*
I'm fine with 8GB out of the box, I'm sure it'll hold me for a while, when it doesn't I have tons of SD cards and USB pens lying around and when I want I can use any of the USB HDDs I have or get a new one for cheap. Meanwhile, the console gets cheaper, smaller and cooler.

If it was barely a problem with 360 and proprietary HDDs it won't be with a console that already has internal storage that will be enough for quite a while and accepts pretty much any type of storage unit that pretty much every Dick and Jane nowadays has and knows how to use, even if they're not tech savvy.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a 360 that only has 4GB?

Let me guess, you don't have an Xbox 360 or a PS3, am I right? There are demos that are 2gb big. I have GBs worth of Rock Band songs. All of this will be filled up pretty fast. Oh and forget about downloading full games from the store. I don't want to be plugging in 2, 3 USB pen drives (the ones I have are 4gb ones). I don't want to buy SD cards and I don't want to buy HDDs. Why would I buy an HDD on the Wii U when my PS3 and 360 have them out of the box. You are right, there is an 8gb Xbox 360 but with 4-5 demos it already gets filled, since we all know it's really not 8gb, it's a bit less. The 8gb Xbox 360 is obviously much cheaper than the Wii U (you're crazy if you think the Wii U will be anything close to $200)

Like I said, 20gb internal memory, how much would that go for? why won't anyone answer me that? I bet it's like $10 isn't it? if 120gb goes for $30, I can't imagine the 20gb being that expensive.

StevieP

Banned
I don't want to buy SD cards and I don't want to buy HDDs. Why would I buy an HDD

Why not? Either way you'd be paying for the memory. This way you get choice of which memory you'd like and what you're paying rather than the manufacturer.

I like Nintendo's cheapskate mentality. Imagine if others took the same approach throught gaming history?

"Yeah, the one button joystick worked great for us with the 2600, and people enjoyed it, so we decided to go with that for our new 5200 model." - Atari

Agreed. This were the same arguments Nintendo gave to support HD with Wii. They always use the "productions costs" excuse to not implement new technologies on their systems.

StevieP

Banned
Agreed. This were the same arguments Nintendo gave to support HD with Wii. They always use the "productions costs" excuse to not implement new technologies on their systems.

Um. Capacitive is actually an older technology than resistive.

USC-fan said:
No way this thing is going to cost over $250. I would be shocked.

How much do current gen consoles cost? You know, ones with mature CPU/GPU processes that have been refined and shrunken over 6 years and such.

KillGore

Why not? Either way you'd be paying for the memory. This way you get choice of which memory you'd like and what you're paying rather than the manufacturer.

If the manufacturer puts 20gb of internal memory doesn't mean you and me don't have the choice to keep adding more memory from Pen Drives, SD Cards, External Drives, AND internal drives (which is an extra option if they put an internal drive, unless Nintendo is leaving a space for us to put the internal drive right now). So we would both win, you would still have the choice to decide how to add even more memory and I can have my memory from day one, out of the box without the need to buy extra memory.

StevieP

Banned
If the manufacturer puts 20gb of internal memory doesn't mean I don't have the choice to keep adding more memory from Pen Drives, SD Cards, External Drives, AND internal drives (which is an extra option if they put an internal drive, unless Nintendo is leaving a space for us to put the internal drive right now). So we would both win, you would still have the choice to decide how to add even more memory and I can have my memory from day one, out of the box without the need to buy extra memory.

Highly doubtful that there's a part of the console you can open and plug a SATA drive in. All done externally via USB/SD/etc.

Regardless, the base console cost is kept down (lowering the barrier of high price of entry for the mass market quicker) and those of us who play more than average people get to expand it any way we wish.

KillGore

Highly doubtful that there's a part of the console you can open and plug a SATA drive in. All done externally via USB/SD/etc.

Regardless, the base console cost is kept down (lowering the barrier of high price of entry for the mass market quicker) and those of us who play more than average people get to expand it any way we wish.

With them selling the 3DS at $250 at launch and then cutting its price has shown me that Nintendo likes to sell their systems at a much higher price than they spend on manufacturing it. It seems obvious yes, but I thought that they would at least try to keep that gap pretty minimal, that way they can keep the consumers happy while still selling their console at a small profit, with the rest of the profit being earned by games and accessories. I bet they'll sell their console at a much higher price than what it takes to make it. $10 isn't going to kill them and it shouldn't make them charge $50 more for the console. I do understand their point of view from someone running the company, but I'm mainly speaking from a consumer's viewpoint, which is what I am. $10 won't kill them and if they put 20gb+ of internal memory then it means they earn my money, and a lot of people's as well. As you can see, I'm not the only one who believes the console should have an internal memory, and I'm sure a lot of them won't buy the console because of that. Wii U has been getting negative news time and time again such as the console being only on par with current gen games, frames per second being halved if you use two controllers and now the rumors of it using Frien Codes, there's not even an amazing title for it! more bad news would seriously sway consumers away from the console.

USC-fan

Banned
If the manufacturer puts 20gb of internal memory doesn't mean you and me don't have the choice to keep adding more memory from Pen Drives, SD Cards, External Drives, AND internal drives (which is an extra option if they put an internal drive, unless Nintendo is leaving a space for us to put the internal drive right now). So we would both win, you would still have the choice to decide how to add even more memory and I can have my memory from day one, out of the box without the need to buy extra memory.
Biggest problem with only having 8GB of storage is you will have lower limits on demo size, patches, game installs and download games. Just like the limits on the wii. Could be a lot bigger problem when the next gen console from sony/ms launch.

Doesnt really matter if you can add usb storage because most will not and they will have to limit it to what most people have. Demo for example are now over 2GB on ps3.

KillGore

Biggest problem with only having 8GB of storage is you will have lower limits on demo size, patches, game installs and download games. Just like the limits on the wii. Could be a lot bigger problem when the next gen console from sony/ms launch.

Doesnt really matter if you can add usb storage because most will not and they will have to limit it to what most people have. Demo for example are now over 2GB on ps3.

Yup, I also think this way. Heck, I bought a Vita with 8gb and on the first day I filled it up (demo, apps, installs, saves, photos for wallpaper, videos, music) and it was just horrible to be honest.

Going by Nintendo's own demos, the majority of usage of the touchscreen is going to be by finger, not stylus.

And you think it will be shit even though people will tell you otherwise because multitouch is "better" even if it is perfectly fine? No one is being stopped to use theiur finger or stylus and they aren't saying it is better to use either. It is up to you how you use it. Bah bah tobor have you any wool? Once again you are pulling things out of your ass the demo's are just demos you can do whatever you want, nothing is stopping you to be more precise if you want.

You haven't even addressed what would happen if you were playing with overly dry hands or wet hands with a capacitive touch screen yet have you? That's right it doesnt work at all. But you forget to mention that issue right?

StevieP

Banned
Hmm? Nintendo made a console with multi-touch screen before?

No. Why would they?

There are no space limits on the Wii U's online store. Games will be available on day 1 for retail and digital. This includse any prospective 25GB games or even dual-layer BDs if any games go that high. You'll just need the free "blocks", which are expandable in any way you choose.

Killgore said:
With them selling the 3DS at $250 at launch and then cutting its price it has shown me that Nintendo likes to sell their systems at a much higher price than they spend on manufacturing it.

Gaming is their only deal. They don't sell OSes or TVs.

USC-fan

Banned
And you think it will be shit even though people will tell you otherwise because multitouch is "better" even if it is perfectly fine? No one is being stopped to use theiur finger or stylus and they aren't saying it is better to use either. It is up to you how you use it. Bah bah tobor have you any wool? Once again you are pulling things out of your ass the demo's are just demos you can do whatever you want, nothing is stopping you to be more precise if you want.

You haven't even addressed what would happen if you were playing with overly dry hands or wet hands with a capacitive touch screen yet have you? That's right it doesnt work at all. But you forget to mention that issue right?

It is better, really no question about it. Everyone uses capacitive on every tablet, smart phone and i cannot name one thing that doesnt use capacitive beside the ds. They did it for cost, not because it better.

There are no space limits on the Wii U's online store. Games will be available on day 1 for retail and digital. This includse any prospective 25GB games or even dual-layer BDs if any games go that high. You'll just need the free "blocks", which are expandable in any way you choose.
Link? I thought there was a 2 GB limit....

StevieP

Banned
It is better, really no question about it.

iphone_520x347.jpg

Yes, exaggeration. But you get the idea.

USC-fan said:
Link? I thought there was a 2 GB limit....

Digital and retail will be day and date. Not on my home PC right now so you can google that.

StevieP

Banned
I have no clue what you are talking about.

You said capacitive is better no question about it, then i showed you a capacitive sausage stylus.
To top it off, Nintendo has stated repeatedly that all retail games will be available to download digitally day and date. This includes BD-based games (25/50gb).

I don't see how that idea flushes with a "2gb" limit. Unless you were talking about the 3DS.

USC-fan

Banned
You said capacitive is better no question about it, then i showed you a capacitive sausage stylus.
Should I post a picture of me using a broom handle to work my ds?

Again i have no clue what you are talking about.

To top it off, Nintendo has stated repeatedly that all retail games will be available to download digitally day and date. This includes BD-based games (25/50gb).

I don't see how that idea flushes with a "2gb" limit. Unless you were talking about the 3DS.
So they going to have a version of the wiiu that can handle a 25GB game?

StevieP

Banned
Should I post a picture of me using a broom handle to work my ds?

Again i have no clue what you are talking about.

You said that capacitive was better with "no question about it" and I showed you in 1 particular way there was a question about it: precision.

So they going to have a version of the wiiu that can handle a 25GB game?

The console has a standard slot-loading BD-Rom drive (without the BluRay movie playing license of course).

Nintendo has stated that all games will be available for retail and digital download day and date. Therefore, if you'd like to download a 50GB game, you're going to need an internet connection and 50gb of free space on the Wii U (hence an external hard drive hooked up to it). This really isn't a mystery.

Roto13

I'd much rather be able to use any old thing as a stylus than have to smudge up the screen with my fingers or buy a special $30 stylus.

I understand where Nintendo is coming from on a business standpoint, but I'm so glad that they are not THE industry voice. We'd probably still be playing Game Boy Color and N64 if left to them to shape the industry alone.

"Good enough" has been Nintendo's motto for a while now.

StevieP

Banned
If it's anything like my old single touch Samsung eternity that's shit.

It isn't

I understand where Nintendo is coming from on a business standpoint, but I'm so glad that they are not THE industry voice. We'd probably still be playing Game Boy Color and N64 if left to them to shape the industry alone.

Yeah, or we'd still be using basically the same controller from 1996.

Yeah, or we'd still be using the same controller from 1996.
Nintendo has always been the innovator in controllers, I would never deny that.

These last two (Wii and Wii-U) don't seem as crucial or industry changing as their past efforts though. I'm sorry to use the word "gimmick", I know it's overused.

Then copying the 360's form for the multiplayer Wii-U controller. So out of character for Nintendo.

StevieP

Banned
My only point was that there are always different ways to explore technology, whether it's via the innards of the chips inside, or the stuff outside of the console.

They're all technology. It's succesfully synergizing technology to create a new experience that's extremely difficult. They did that with the Wii - easily. The industry decided to take a shit on them, though, for a multitude of reasons (both legitimate and not).

This controller *could* do that, and has the potential to. Nintendo just really sucked at showing that and basically flubbed the assymetrical demo of it. I don't see it being as much of a "win" as the Wiimote was in that regard, personally (until I am shown otherwise) but that's why the Wii peripherals are seconadies. Everything about this E3 was garbage, though for everyone outside Ubi. They should just cancel the trade show and everyone can show what they're doing on their own time.

I personally like trade shows, but it's pretty clear most manufacturers have become disinterested in them.

It is better, really no question about it. Everyone uses capacitive on every tablet, smart phone and i cannot name one thing that doesnt use capacitive beside the ds. They did it for cost, not because it better.

I wasn't arguing about if it was better, no doubt it might be better at some things but not everything and nintendo didn't choose the other one because it was better or worse but because of price. Being better or worse had nothing to do with it and neither does the argument, Tobor was trying to make it out to be like it actually mattered in the context of the wiiu which it doesn't. Tobor is arguing that nintendo wanted to choose the cheap one because it was worse and it also didnt work. which is just false. Cheap doesnt mean bad.

If you read the second line.

playing with overly dry hands or wet hands with a capacitive touch screen

Go on and wet your hands a little and see if you can still use your smartphone or tablet. In gaming situations where tension is involved in play, perspiration of hands can and will occur for many people. it is truly game breaking.

Actually I just realised from the other reply about the sausage stylus is that you may not have a clue about the technologies at all.

jts

...hate me...
Incredible how is this still going. But seriously, how do we go from:

A touchscreen? On a controller? Pfft, stupid. Typical Nintendo.

To:

WHAT? THE TOUCHSCREEN ISN'T THE KIND I'D LIKE IT TO BE? FUCK, BECAUSE I REALLY CARED FOR THIS CONSOLE.

This is like a bizarro world where Nintendo didn't make the only successful touchscreen gaming device ever, in both sales and quality of the games.

I know people will whine about everything and anything though. About the comfort of the controller although Nintendo always excels at that and reviewers have been saying so. About the responsiveness of the screen although that really wasn't a vocal criticism of any kind.

Heck, I still remember people laughing and faux raging about the DSi getting 0.3Mpx cameras, perfectly adequate for its screens but Nintendo was TEH CHEAP AND STUPID LOL. 4 years later, the PS Vita launches with cameras of the same exact resolution.

Nintendo can't win. Except it does.

Tobor

I wasn't arguing about if it was better, no doubt it might be better at some things but not everything and nintendo didn't choose the other one because it was better or worse but because of price. Being better or worse had nothing to do with it and neither does the argument, Tobor was trying to make it out to be like it actually mattered in the context of the wiiu which it doesn't. Tobor is arguing that nintendo wanted to choose the cheap one because it was worse and it also didnt work. which is just false. Cheap doesnt mean bad.

If you read the second line.

Go on and wet your hands a little and see if you can still use your smartphone or tablet. In gaming situations where tension is involved in play, perspiration of hands can and will occur for many people. it is truly game breaking.

Actually I just realised from the other reply about the sausage stylus is that you may not have a clue about the technologies at all.

Lol. WTF are you on about? You don't understand anything I've been saying, and you're speaking gibberish. I cant even find anything to bold and respond to in that mess. Get back to me when you're making sense.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Remember 01Net, the guys who predicted a 3DS redesign for early 2012?
They are impressed with the touchscreen:

"It surprisingly has the punch of an iPad in terms of responsiveness, making us forget about the absence of multitouch".

They also report accelerometers/gyro work better than in the wiimote.

Overall, they say the Swiss Army Gamepad gives the Wii U experience a high level of heterogenity/quality.

http://www.01net.com/editorial/567695/e3-2012-prise-en-main-de-la-wii-u-de-nintendo-nos-impressions/

KillGore said:
Let me guess, you don't have an Xbox 360 or a PS3, am I right? There are demos that are 2gb big. I have GBs worth of Rock Band songs. All of this will be filled up pretty fast. Oh and forget about downloading full games from the store. I don't want to be plugging in 2, 3 USB pen drives (the ones I have are 4gb ones). I don't want to buy SD cards and I don't want to buy HDDs. Why would I buy an HDD on the Wii U when my PS3 and 360 have them out of the box.
I think it's a bit silly to be adamant that you must buy a system with included storage for $X+Y rather than buying a base system at $X and optional storage for $Y. BUT I do agree that 8 GB is a stupid low standard limit. 16 or 32 GB should be no problem.

3DS did come with 2 GB internal and a 2 GB SD card, though, so it's possible they could pull the same thing again.

Dave Long

Banned
So what do people want Nintendo to do? Release a console that's just a 360 or PS3 in different clothing? Where will that get them exactly? Did none of you live through the Gamecube era where that's exactly what they were offering and they STILL didn't get the third party games?

If you don't want a Nintendo console or you don't like what they're doing, go find some 360 and PS3 threads and enjoy yourself in there. Stop shitting on everyone else's parade.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Remember 01Net, the guys who predicted a 3DS redesign for early 2012?
They are impressed with the touchscreen:

"It surprisingly has the punch of an iPad in terms of responsiveness, making us forget about the absence of multitouch".

They also report accelerometers/gyro work better than in the wiimote.

Overall, they say the Swiss Army Gamepad gives the Wii U experience a high level of heterogenity/quality.

http://www.01net.com/editorial/567695/e3-2012-prise-en-main-de-la-wii-u-de-nintendo-nos-impressions/

Good to hear.

marc^o^

Strange, because every demo we saw of someone touching that screen you could tell they were pressing quite hard on it. Just like you would on a DS.
No, I saw the shuriken demo in Nintendo Land, the Rayman demo on stage at Nintendo's conference with a zoom on the GamePad: smooth as butter.

Agent X

There is only one commonly used feature of multitouch that the Wii-U can't do, it's pinch to zoom, which isn't needed for gaming and for browsing isn't needed since you can already tap accurately. Sure, fruit ninja, but those games are quite rare.

I can't believe you're dismissing the gaming possibilities of multi-touch so swiftly. There were threads here not so long ago, where users here came up with great ideas of how multi-touch could be applied to games, far beyond merely using it to "pinch to zoom".

Music games, for example, could display the visual representation of a piano keyboard on the screen, and allowing the user to press multiple notes simultaneously. Or you could have a game like Elite Beat Agents that require taps or finger swipes in multiple locations.

Just because single-touch was "sufficient" for DS games over the last few years, doesn't mean that we should be held to the same limitations going forward, or that there's no possible room for improvement. Hey, once upon a time, single-touch was "sufficient" for the Palm Pilot, too.

The Boat

Let me guess, you don't have an Xbox 360 or a PS3, am I right? There are demos that are 2gb big. I have GBs worth of Rock Band songs. All of this will be filled up pretty fast. Oh and forget about downloading full games from the store. I don't want to be plugging in 2, 3 USB pen drives (the ones I have are 4gb ones). I don't want to buy SD cards and I don't want to buy HDDs. Why would I buy an HDD on the Wii U when my PS3 and 360 have them out of the box. You are right, there is an 8gb Xbox 360 but with 4-5 demos it already gets filled, since we all know it's really not 8gb, it's a bit less. The 8gb Xbox 360 is obviously much cheaper than the Wii U (you're crazy if you think the Wii U will be anything close to $200)

Like I said, 20gb internal memory, how much would that go for? why won't anyone answer me that? I bet it's like $10 isn't it? if 120gb goes for $30, I can't imagine the 20gb being that expensive.
I have both actually, so don't go off making assumptions. Comparing the price point of a new console to an old one doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't know why I'm arguing with you, because it's a lost cause, but it's very simple, 8 GB are enough for a few demos and downloadable games so nobody will miss out because they bought it and didn't get an HDD and everyone has storage devices lying around. Is it that really that much a bother to buy an HDD if you need one? Cause it kinda sounds like a tantrum to me.

I don't think anyone can answer you how much it costs, but even a small difference in cost for the manufacturer either translates to a price bump or a loss, not to mention it would increase the console size and temperature which would mean more costs related to cooling.

There's a reason why there were 360s without an HDD it's not because they're stubborn.

AzaK

No, I saw the shuriken demo in Nintendo Land, the Rayman demo on stage at Nintendo's conference with a zoom on the GamePad: smooth as butter.

The shuriken demo is hard to tell because the GamePad is on an angle, but if you look at this demo (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/352310/rayman-legends-e3-gameplay-demo/#) to me he's pressing the screen rather solidly. Unlike what you'd see on an iPad IMO. This doesn't prove that it can't be touched lightly and won't be actually workable in real life but I definitely noticed something a little off for my tastes.

What exactly is the argument? Anyone who owns a DS/3DS knows that you just have to graze the screen for it to pick up the input. This "you have to press hard" crap can only be coming from people who don't own either system or don't play touch-based games with them.

marc^o^

The shuriken demo is hard to tell because the GamePad is on an angle, but if you look at this demo (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/352310/rayman-legends-e3-gameplay-demo/#) to me he's pressing the screen rather solidly. Unlike what you'd see on an iPad IMO. This doesn't prove that it can't be touched lightly and won't be actually workable in real life but I definitely noticed something a little off for my tastes.
Maybe Anihawk could tell us. I only read positive impressions so far regarding responsiveness.

canvee

What exactly is the argument? Anyone who owns a DS/3DS knows that you just have to graze the screen for it to pick up the input. This "you have to press hard" crap can only be coming from people who don't own either system or don't play touch-based games with them.

Some people have different preferences. I have a 3ds yet I understand where these sort of arguments come from. The 3ds touch screen is very responsive when I use the stylus and I would say that it is more accurate than capacitive touchscreens in this situation. However, try scrolling through the home menu without the stylus, you WILL need to push down hard.

For me, I feel that the wii u gamepad screen is big enough to the point where the accuracy offered by a resistive touchscreen is no longer important. I was watching the Zombiu gameplay video on IGN and there was an obvious amount of pressure needed to flick though the menus.

Top Bottom