• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: WiiU screen isnt multitouch due to cost- DS screen was/is sufficient enough

steveovig

Do we really need another inferior PC? Wii U is about offering an alternate gaming experience. Eurogamer wrote there's more new concepts in Nintendo Land than on the whole E3 showfloor. Some ideas won't stick, others will. Wii U will succeed based on Nintendo creators vision: a balance of exclusive features and compromises.

I don't believe it though. I want to see third party games and everything else, not a rehash of the Wii. We'll see I guess as it's not like I wasn't going to buy the U but it still feels like Nintendo is always one or two steps back.

Tapiozona

Banned
Er no, I don't think this is the case. All of those phones come with a $30 data pack for two years. That's $720 alone in data plan. An iPhone doesn't really cost you $200.

My nook color an many other android tablets which have amazing multitouch screens are priced below $200 and I'm not paying $720 for a data plan.

Not to mention the screen size is probably about the same or even larger.

Jokeropia

I will always consider precision to be more important for gaming than multitouch, especially since the controller isn't exactly short on buttons. A multitouch resistive screen might be the best of two worlds, but if we're hypothesising I can think of several other things I would rather have had them spend the extra money on in that case.

Do we really need another inferior PC? Wii U is about offering an alternate gaming experience. Eurogamer wrote there's more new concepts in Nintendo Land than on the whole E3 showfloor. This is exagereted of course, but still. Some ideas won't stick, others will. Wii U will succeed based on Nintendo creators vision: a balance of exclusive features and compromises.

Heard this line before with the Wii. "Do we need another inferior PC? Wii is about offering an alternate gaming experience". It was an "alternate experience" all right. One that involved me selling the console halfway through the current generation (first time that has ever happened) and had me ending my fanboyism of Nintendo.

If Nintendo wants to design another Wii with the WiiU, complete with outdated hardware at every turn and making excuses of what they arbitrarily declare what's "sufficient" (and ending up being completely wrong), they can count me right the fuck out. Way, way out.

Because internet browsing without multitouch is going to be a fucking chore ever since the dawn of the iPhone, iPad and Android devices.

No gestures, no two-finger / multi-finger swipes, no accurate and responsive zoom functionality, simply a gimped browser.

Well, on on a Gamepad with Buttons there are many possibilities to implement zoom, back and forward efficently - I think this is really a non-issue.

I'm surfing gaf with my ipad right now and you know what? Pinch to zoom doesnt work on the mobile gaf site with the ipad - and I didn't missed it, because It was not necessary.

I'm quite sure that Nintendo will optimize their content, twitter, social media, OS and other stuff to fit perfectly on the tab and thats all I will use anyway.

Jomjom

Banned
How is this any different than almost every console Nintendo has made? They always cheap out to sell consoles at a lower price while still profiting.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
My nook color an many other android tablets which have amazing multitouch screens are priced below $200 and I'm not paying $720 for a data plan.

I have an iPad, everyone has a tablet nowdays. What's the point for Wii U to compete with the best tablets of the market? It's not its purpose. It has its own advantages over your Nook, its own value.

Ardenyal

So they saved money on the touch screen, they saved money on the screen resolution, they saved money on the batteries... These controllers better be $9.99.

ThankeeSai

I've seen the Rayman footage and the P-100 footage, both of which showed the player using their finger on the screen, both of which seemed perfectly fine and responsive.

Also, I have a smart phone with multitouch, but I don't really use it for gaming that much so have no real idea how this improves android gaming. The only real example I've seen people mention for WiiU is pinch to zoom on maps.

I'd be genuinely interested to know what other examples people can come up with where multitouch would be useful. Like I said...genuinely. I'm not trying to start anything here.

Majine

Banned
I like the guy in the interview, he was very down to earth and honest. If it was Reggie, the answer would probably be "Oh come ooon, who needs Multitouch? What's wrong with you?".

marc^o^

Heard this line before with the Wii. "Do we need another inferior PC? Wii is about offering an alternate gaming experience". It was an "alternate experience" all right. One that involved me selling the console halfway through the current generation (first time that has ever happened) and had me ending my fanboyism of Nintendo.

If Nintendo wants to design another Wii with the WiiU, complete with outdated hardware at every turn and making excuses of what they arbitrarily declare what's "sufficient" (and ending up being completely wrong), they can count me right the fuck out. Way, way out.
Most people I know liked the games they bought on Wii. Lots like you wished it could provide PS3 graphics with traditional controls. That's what Wii U offers, with additional features. I can understand Wii U is not a must have yet, but it's a damn nice product which will undoubtly bring us some gems.

Tapiozona

Banned
Most people I know liked the games they bought on Wii. Lots like you wished it could provide PS3 graphics with traditional controls. That's what Wii U offers, with additional features. I can understand Wii U is not a must have yet, but it's a damn nice product which will undoubtly bring us some gems.

Looks more like a dumbed down cheap gimmick which will end up being a fad, like the wii, collecting dust in most peoples entertainment centers. It will sell of course, but boy did they skimp on this thing.

No, it isn't. Do we even know what the "price" difference of multitouch would be?

I'm tired of people just assuming Nintendo can do no wrong with the hardware design. Just admit they're being cheapskates and move on. No need to white-knight them at every turn.

It will cost more and Nintendo is not going to give it free.
They are cheapskates, but they also think about what they want to charge YOU.

I'm not white knighting them and there are a lot of things they left out of other consoles and even this console that i consider foolish and cheap (no dolby digital on the Wii, no optical out on the Wii and Wii-U, no dvd function, etc).

You are not going to miss multi touch on this controller.

marc^o^

Looks more like a dumbed down cheap gimmick which will end up being a fad, like the wii, collecting dust in most peoples entertainment centers. It will sell of course, but boy did they skimp on this thing.
Actually I don't think it will sell if its games and the gameplay experience are not really good.

I question the cost differential between the two...
but whatever. Given the form factor, it's an unfortunate constraint on control, but will probably not matter in the end.

It will cost more and Nintendo is not going to give it free

How much more? If it's $5 it's ridiculous to cheapen out on this particular aspect.

You don't make a tablet without multitouch when the iPad is in the hands of non-gamers (yes, the market Nintendo's going after) everywhere. It's that simple. And you know that's who they're going after, after yesterday's disaster of a conference.

I wished it stayed even remotely competitive with anything released in the past five years, and I'm including both gameplay AND graphics. I wasn't wishing it was a PS3, because I bought a PS3 for that. I bought into a Wii with the idea that the motion controls were going to truly provide a different experience, and it ended up being nothing but a gimmick. Even Nintendo didn't bother with motion gaming for several years, churning out 2D platformer after 2D platformer with the Wiimote held on its side and using only waggle. That is NOT what I, or anyone else, had in mind. By the time Skyward Sword came out I was already long, long gone. Way too little, way too late.

Nintendo's about talking the talk, but it can't walk the walk. They're about selling the potential, but they never go past the point of "potential". This has "Wii" written all over it, and I'm not talking about its sales.

Is there a more meaninful rebuttal than being factual?
Yes, a rebuttal that actually rebuts the comment. I responded to someone saying that "Multi touch brings nothing to games". How does Meteos prove that "Multi touch brings nothing to games"? What if I think that Where's My Water is a better game than Meteos?

marc^o^

Yes, a rebuttal that actually rebuts the comment. I responded to someone saying that "Multi touch brings nothing to games". How does Meteos prove that "Multi touch brings nothing to games"? What if I think that Where's My Water is a better game than Meteos?
I stand corrected. I'm not saying multitouch can't offer unique experiences either.

Jokeropia

I wished it stayed even remotely competitive with anything released in the past five years, and I'm including both gameplay AND graphics. I wasn't wishing it was a PS3, because I bought a PS3 for that. I bought into a Wii with the idea that the motion controls were going to truly provide a different experience, and it ended up being nothing but a gimmick. Even Nintendo didn't bother with motion gaming for several years, churning out 2D platformer after 2D platformer with the Wiimote held on its side and using only waggle. That is NOT what I, or anyone else, had in mind. By the time Skyward Sword came out I was already long, long gone. Way too little, way too late.

Nintendo's about talking the talk, but it can't walk the walk. They're about selling the potential, but they never go past the point of "potential". This has "Wii" written all over it, and I'm not talking about its sales.
You're projecting. I loved the relative abundance of 2D platformers and Wii was my favorite console this generation.

JGS

Banned
It's not moot because pinching is much better than button on touchscreens.
Says who?

Further, just because it's better doesn't mean it's adds anything other than an incremental benefit. I would like my toilet heated and gold plated, doesn't mean it's practical for its purpose.

Also, the Upad's screen is larger than your phone so it's not just a "small screen", would be great to have pinching on it.
I'm not disagreeing that the pinch would be great, it's just so superficial so as not to matter. I know the map is an often used excuse but hopefully the screen is used for way more than that and there are other options that serve the purpose of pinching and add little to no speed resistance.

If the tech is designed without it it can be great too. It's not beyond the realm of comprehension that something could work without multi-touch As the previews prove. Most gaming systems with touch prove that. Heck, most of the games on my Iphone don't require it.

This is one cost they needed to eat, IMO. If they're trying to get the people playing games on iPods and iPads and such, the controller has to mimic those functions at least as well as the originals. As it stands, people are going to get their hands on the uPad, find it's user experience to be nowhere near as satisfying as the iPad, and sour on it.

Doesn't mean the system will flop or anything, but they have no hope of competing with iPads and most smartphones.

edit:
You're projecting. I loved the relative abundance of 2D platformers and Wii was my favorite console this generation.

It was mine too, but I don't disagree with anything he said. Nintendo definitely didn't show the promise of motion controls until Zelda came out. For most of the Wii's life, they were more of an alternative to gamepad controls more than anything. At least as it pertains to... "hobbyist" gaming.

Why someone is so cheap to use resistive screens in 2012???

Capacitive touchscreens are really cheap nowadays. You can have a 4 or 5 point-touchpanel for a few dollars.

Why?

Nintendo must not have played Where's My Water.

Is Cut My Rope shorter on DS/browser? I don't see how some of the later levels would be possible without multitouch.

Eh i finished cut the rope using two fingers but i never had them touching at the same time. so it is possible. also resistive can do 2 finger multitouch. Also i do most of my neogaf from the phone and i hardly ever use multi touch actually i only do it to zoom in on videos or photos but it would have been grest if i didnt have to use two fingers to do it. a simple touch and tilt is sufficient but even a tap to zoom with slider would be better. Even when i type messages i only ever use two fingers and they dont touch at the same time.

You dont really need pinch to zoom when your screen is big enough or have two screens, with one of them being resistive when touched, a microphone for voice, analogue clickable sticks, analogue triggers, buttons, a gyroscope, a compass, your finger and a camera. You are telling me none of those combinations is vastly superior to multi touch?

wii u comes with a screen: "who needs it buttons for life yo"

wii u no multi touch: "wtf buttons? not optimal usage yo"

For all those saying how cheap these screens are think about this. how much does $1 cost when you need to give it to 100 million consoles?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah after a 2 year contract. Most smartphones are $400+ unsubsidized.

That's because of other things, the touch digitizer is a pretty small part of that cost. My first smartphone cost like $150 unsubsidized, and it had a capacitive multi-touch screen. Sure, it could only sense two points simultaneously, not 10 like my current phone, but that was enough for pinch-to-zoom, better text input and stuff like that.

That's because of other things, the touch digitizer is a pretty small part of that cost. My first smartphone cost like $150 unsubsidized, and it had a capacitive multi-touch screen. Sure, it could only sense two points simultaneously, not 10 like my current phone, but that was enough for pinch-to-zoom, better text input and stuff like that.

Resistive can do 2 fingers when programmed properly. it cant do more than that though

Tobor

Capacitive touchscreens are really cheap nowadays. You can have a 4 or 5 point-touchpanel for a few dollars.

Why?

11875-nintendo_logo_super.jpg

Jokeropia

Why?
Because capacitive touch screens are significantly less precise, if only because a finger is much fatter than a stylus. (I know there are capacitive styli, but they're also notably fatter than the resistive ones.) This is not so important for browsing or typical pad usage, but can mean a lot in certain types of games.

I want multi touch capability in the WiiU, however calling the Wii a fad is dishonest. It-s probably the most influential piece of electronics in the mid 2000's. Yes, Nintendo was cheap and short sighted from the HardWare processing site but the control and interface was pure genious.

You do realize that there's an actual gaming console working here in the background as well as the tablet controller right?

You guys comparing 199.99 dollar tablets to a home entertainment system that has a tablet controller expecting it to be as cheap as your nook or kindle are setting yourselves up for major disappointment.

goomba

Banned
Everyone tends to forget that resistive screens are much better when using a stylus.

Capacitive styluses are finger sized and awful, you cant write with them.

If you add something like multitouch you do up the cost, and so we're trying to strike the right balance between the robust set of features and capablilites for the hardware but also make it affordable to people.

$249.99 or gtfo.

Oppo

Because capacitive touch screens are significantly less precise, if only because a finger is much fatter than a stylus. (I know there are capacitive styli, but they're also notably fatter than the resistive ones.) This is not so important for browsing or typical pad usage, but can mean a lot in certain types of games.

Well to be fair, this is exactly why people also like multitouch/pinch-to-zoom; it alleviates much of the accuracy problem when you can quickly and easily zoom. That's why browsers are bearable on phones. Scrolling with the d-pad or sticks sucks, just try using the PS3 browser.

Tobor

Everyone tends to forget that resistive screens are much better when using a stylus.

Capacitive styluses are finger sized and awful, you cant write with them.

Nintendo is expecting people to use their fingers. Look at the E3 video, they're practically hiding the fact it has a stylus. They show people typing with fingers, tapping buttons with fingers, swiping, browsing, and everything else with fingers.

Who cares how good the screen is with a stylus when the majority of gaming experiences are designed for fingers?

How much more? If it's $5 it's ridiculous to cheapen out on this particular aspect.

You don't make a tablet without multitouch when the iPad is in the hands of non-gamers (yes, the market Nintendo's going after) everywhere. It's that simple. And you know that's who they're going after, after yesterday's disaster of a conference.

Well, they did, better get used to it.

JGS

Banned
Nintendo is expecting people to use their fingers. Look at the E3 video, they're practically hiding the fact it has a stylus. They show people typing with fingers, tapping buttons with fingers, swiping, browsing, and everything else with fingers.

Who cares how good the screen is with a stylus when the majority of gaming experiences are designed for fingers?
So proof that multitouch is not needed is still failure...

gaming_noob

Every day the chances of a Wii U purchase for myself is getting slimmer. I'll probably wait until it's $150 to get it just like the Wii...unless it launches at 150 :O

Tobor

So proof that multitouch is not needed is still failure...

You guys realize multitouch is not the only reason to use a capacitive screen, right?

It's a better, more responsive experience all around.

Besides, that, a Nintendo demo proves nothing about multitouch. It does however, speak to how they expect people to operate the touchscreen.

Top Bottom