• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: WiiU screen isnt multitouch due to cost- DS screen was/is sufficient enough

Tobor

When people talk about cell phones and how cheap they are, they do realize that they are usually subsidized heavily by two year service plans, right?

Just look at tablets, which aren't carrier subsidized.

The Amazon Kindle Fire is $199 with a capacitive screen.

andthebeatgoeson

When people talk about cell phones and how cheap they are, they do realize that they are usually subsidized heavily by two year service plans, right?

I asked that question to point that out. On amazon, most good phones are 300-500, unsubsidized.

What kind of GPU does it have?

Kabouter

Well it was obvious it was always a cost consideration, if you want to be at least somewhat competitive on price you can't expect to have the optimal component choices for everything. Of course the impact on gameplay is significant, but you have to make sacrifices somewhere unless you want to go with the risky subsidized console model, and it's not like making the sacrifices elsewhere wouldn't have an impact.

the fire isn't sold at much profit either right, if at a profit?

and Nintendo may be looking to sell everyone an extra one of these.

chrislowe

The touchscreen for the DS replacements can be bought for as little as $2.40.

But since Nintendo probably buys millions of these instead of just 1 as the price is for, i guess they are much cheaper.

So my guess is, what does Nintendo think of as "more expensive" ? $4? $5?

what's the price difference between a multitouch screen and a resistive touchscreen?

I liked the Samsung Note solution, you have the advantages of a multitouch screen and of a Wacom tablet.

Dave Long

Banned

Kindle Fire is also pretty much all profit for Amazon after the initial sale. Sending you bits over the Internet is way cheaper than being in the packaged goods business like Nintendo is with this unit.

Don't underestimate the Amazon Prime warchest either. They're essentially getting the same sorts of subsidizing from a different source.

Portugeezer

Multitouch would be a waste of money on their part. Good call.

Feature creep is real. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. You have all these buttons.

DS was crap with fingers. 3DS is a bit better with your finger. I expect Wii U to work fine with fingers.

Loofy

Still laughing at the people who claimed this was a genius gameplay design move by Nintendo and not a budgetary concern. Lol
If it was worth it they would have put it in.
It isnt worth it.

It has to be true, because you said it in bold and all-caps.

I do admit that if a handful of people on a message board can't think up unique game ideas involving multi-touch controls, where buttons just wouldn't do, then it's impossible for professional, creative developers at Nintendo and other companies to do so. I don't see how any argument could be made to the contrary.
If this was the case we would have already seen something on mobile gaming that would be impossible on regular controllers. We havent.
But I guess your next point will be that mobile developers cant think of unique game ideas that only superior, super professional console developers can think of.

Chuckpebble

Web browsing with an analog stick is actually pretty nice. I can read GAF mobile on my 3DS by scrolling it at a smooth steady pace, like movie credits. I'm sure zooming could easily be handled with touch interface buttons or the D-pad. I don't see any need for multi touch. That tech was born out of necessity for making a portable device to fit in your pocket with as much screen as possible. I don't think the WiiU pad is meant to be stuck in your pocket.

JABEE

This is what I love about Nintendo and any company like Nintendo.

A company that identifies the free market and spares no expense to cut costs in order to be aggressively profitable; a true hero of capitalism.

I'm tempted to buy some stock right now. Wii U has everything it needs to be amazing for the company.

And then they sells WiiU for $350 on day one, without blinking.

I think it's been confirmed that the lower shoulder buttons are, in fact, analog. They just look shallow from the outside I guess.
Keep hearing conflicting things, but that their controller specifications don't talk about them any different than the other buttons I'm pessimistic.

JGS

Banned
To be fair, zooming on the 3DS web browser just feels weird and slow, whereas on phones it feels really nice. I know I know, first world problems, but you can't blame some of us for wanting a smoother experience. Maybe they could let me zoom in with the R trigger and zoom out with the L trigger, but how do I pick a specific place to zoom in?
I don't think the UPad handles information the same as the 3ds though. The speed would have to be similar to what you would see on the screen (That's one of the big things they've been advertising).

It's not multi-touch but it will be quick and geared toward single touch. It's not a case of shoehorning in something that should be destined for multi-touch. It's adapted to the type of screen it is.

I was thinking there is just a button for zoom so pinching to expand/contract is moot.

EDIT: Internet browsing seems to be a concern and it may be legitimate as I don't like browsing on any screen that small. I've adapted with my phone but it's not ideal. I'll probably just have my phone handy for when I am browsing or use the TV.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Well it was obvious it was always a cost consideration, if you want to be at least somewhat competitive on price you can't expect to have the optimal component choices for everything. Of course the impact on gameplay is significant, but you have to make sacrifices somewhere unless you want to go with the risky subsidized console model, and it's not like making the sacrifices elsewhere wouldn't have an impact.
Significant?!? How many Vita games are better than DS or 3DS games thanks to multitouch? On iPad I can think of Fruit Ninja, which I love. But there are far more examples of DS games that are great thanks to the extra precision brought by its screen. Angry Birds use of the zoom is appreciable, but the game would add pinpoint accuracy with a stylus.

Loofy

Capacitive is better for fingers. This is not debatable. Going by Nintendo's own demo videos, they are expecting people to use their fingers on the screen. They chose an inferior tech to save a buck. The end.
Hmm since it isnt debatable you should be able to easily find a bunch of E3 impressions where people complained that the wiiu gamepad didnt control as well as their cellphone or ipad.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Mind you you wouldn't really have to pinch zoom when your hands are on the buttons. That's why when I suggest zoom buttons on the screen, they should be placed near your fingers. That way you wouldn't really need to lift your hands off. I don't get the "rotating the screen" though.

Keep hearing conflicting things, but that their controller specifications don't talk about them any different than the other buttons I'm pessimistic.

The conference says they're analog triggers.

RagnarokX

The touchscreen for the DS replacements can be bought for as little as $2.40.

But since Nintendo probably buys millions of these instead of just 1 as the price is for, i guess they are much cheaper.

So my guess is, what does Nintendo think of as "more expensive" ? $4? $5?

Um... you know that the WiiU touchscreen isn't the DS touchscreen, right?

Dragmire

*cradles the doubters in his arms, petting their heads* It's all gonna be okay. Somehow we're gonna make it through this.

ghibli99

The less touch the better, especially when combined with traditional controls. So single-touch is perfectly fine for me.

Nintendo taking every cost cutting measure possible to maximize profit day 1

Water is wet

If Nintendo had its way they'd use the same tech as the Wii with just the new Wii U pad, we should be grateful they're using 7 year old old tech

I like Nintendo's cheapskate mentality. Imagine if others took the same approach throught gaming history?

"Yeah, the one button joystick worked great for us with the 2600, and people enjoyed it, so we decided to go with that for our new 5200 model." - Atari

Yep.

Nintendo's basically taking the stance that everyone else should advance technology. They'll just sit back, use outdated hardware to save them a buck, then spin some wild tales about what's "good enough" for the fans to eat up.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Don't know if it has already been mentioned, but typing on a virtual keyboard (which it seems like you'll be doing quite a bit of on the Upad), using both your hands, is a vastly superior experience on a multi-touch screen. You can type much faster when you don't need to make sure you lift your finger from the screen before typing the next character. On the Upad you're not gonna be able to type with the "flow" you can on a capacitive smartphone/tablet screen.

linko9

What's nice is that from the impressions I've heard, the screen is much more finger-friendly (less friction, less prints) than the (3)DS screen. To me that's much more important than being multi-touch.

Hiltz

I knew it was for those reasons. Nintendo goes with what is adequate and inexpensive not excessive and expensive. Of course, it was pretty easy to figure out given Nintendo's track record.

Tobor

Hmm since it isnt debatable you should be able to easily find a bunch of E3 impressions where people complained that the wiiu gamepad didnt control as well as their cellphone or ipad.

Sure, took me all of two seconds.

The least satisfying aspect of the experience was the touchscreen. Like the ones on the DS and 3DS handhelds, it uses resistive technology, which is why it reacts to the stylus as well as your finger. It offers only single-touch input — eliminating the possibility of two-finger gestures — and isn’t as responsive as the capacitive screens on the iPhone and other smartphones. (I found I occasionally had to jab it more than once before it noticed my input.) Still, it’s far from terrible, and if you’ve used the DS or 3DS, it’ll feel very familiar.

http://techland.time.com/2012/06/05/nintendo-wii-u-hands-on-e3/#ixzz1x2k4E2SR

I wonder how many other non-multitouch devices there will be around when this is still for sale in 2017.

The problem could be that as smartphones and ipads get even more and more popular, people will be so used to multitouch that they won't understand why the Wii U doesn't have it too.

But I guess it will depend on how games implement the use of touch.

raven777

I don't own 3DS so I don't know how much touch is improved from DS but DS touch was crap, so if Wii U doesn't have much improved touch screen over DS than it will be disappointment. Most Resistive touch are worse than Capacitive (not all) these days and I highly doubt they will have Wacom digitizer precision in their touch screen.

KillGore

I was thinking there is just a button for zoom so pinching to expand/contract is moot.

EDIT: Internet browsing seems to be a concern and it may be legitimate as I don't like browsing on any screen that small. I've adapted with my phone but it's not ideal. I'll probably just have my phone handy for when I am browsing or use the TV.

It's not moot because pinching is much better than button on touchscreens.

Also, the Upad's screen is larger than your phone so it's not just a "small screen", would be great to have pinching on it.

Flo_Evans

Don't know if it has already been mentioned, but typing on a virtual keyboard (which it seems like you'll be doing quite a bit of on the Upad), using both your hands, is a vastly superior experience on a multi-touch screen. You can type much faster when you don't need to make sure you lift your finger from the screen before typing the next character. On the Upad you're not gonna be able to type with the "flow" you can on a capacitive smartphone/tablet screen.

naw man you can just use the d-pad to select letters. Works great on the NES! no reason to change.

zruben

Banned
for videogames, i'd rather have the precision of the stylus... I'm fine with this decision... I really don't think I'll do much internet browsing on the wiiU.

Zornica

Banned
not sure if it was mentioned in this thread already, but the ds/l/i/xxl/3ds screens doo actually support multitouch if a developer uses it. It may be not official supported, but it does work. there are even games that uses it, like hotel dusk for example where you have to activate 2 different switches at once - even if nintendo officially states that something like that wound't work.

Top Bottom