• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: WiiU screen isnt multitouch due to cost- DS screen was/is sufficient enough

for videogames, i'd rather have the precision of the stylus... I'm fine with this decision... I really don't think I'll do much internet browsing on the wiiU.
So when playing a game on the wiiu pad you are ok taking out the stylus every time you need to interact with the screen for optimal response?

It's 2012

If this was the case we would have already seen something on mobile gaming that would be impossible on regular controllers. We havent.
But I guess your next point will be that mobile developers cant think of unique game ideas that only superior, super professional console developers can think of.

That's a very nice straw man you've built up there.

It's pretty clear that the majority of people posting in this topic believe that pinch-to-zoom is literally the only application multi-touch has, and that any other possible use can easily be replaced by holding multiple buttons and cluttering up the touch screen even more. So I was simply agreeing with the bolded statement. We should obviously be thrilled for Nintendo that they've found another way to reduce costs and make more profit, or lose less money on the controllers, and in no way are they potentially limiting ideas available for the focal input device on their controller for years to come.

Yes I am aware of that.

Just checked what a 10" multitouch overlay would cost, and its $5 a piece.

Well, guess nintendo cant afford it :-/
This topic is hilarious. Nitpicking down to the soul. This is exactly why Nintnedo has put a stopping point to these "accessories". We can't afford a $399 system mass market. Anything over $299.95 is NOT. Do u really want Nintnedo to fail?

This topic is hilarious. Nitpicking down to the soul. This is exactly why Nintnedo has put a stopping point to these "accessories". We can't afford a $399 system mass market. Anything over $299.95 is NOT. Do u really want Nintnedo to fail?

We all want Nintendo Land to succeed for the greater good of gaming

Koren

The best decision would have been a multi touch resistive screen
I'll go with multi-touch IR screen. Damn I love those: precise, no force needed, fast.

But I agree. That being said, I thing multi-touch resistive are expensive... and I'm not sure the benefits (that exists) are so important to justify it. The virtual keyboard typing issue may be the most interesting one (zooming is truly not a problem)

KillGore

It looks like the Wii U is running PS3 and 360 games, I doubt they're using expensive tech, especially considering the competition is from 2005. I don't think the console is really that expensive in the first place, but we won't know until the final tech specs is known.

During the main conference there was a section that showed the gamepad. IIRC it mentioned analog input for triggers.

There was never a conference wtf

shhhh I'm trying to make everyone forget that horrible conference

I'll go with multi-touch IR screen. Damn I love those: precise, no force needed, fast.

But I agree. That being said, I thing multi-touch resistive are expensive... and I'm not sure the benefits (that exists) are so important to justify it. The virtual keyboard typing issue may be the most interesting one (zooming is truly not a problem)

I don't think I've touched an IR screen (I think). I'm interested now.

fse

Thought every one knew Nintendo was cheap. No wonder the WiiU ain't blowing people away with its "next gen" graphics.

zruben

Banned
So when playing a game on the wiiu pad you are ok taking out the stylus every time you need to interact with the screen for optimal response?

It's 2012

I don't know yet man, I need to play some games first... but with the experience I had with the DS, some games just couldn't be played with the fingers, you needed precision, like Rythm Tengoku or Elite Beat Agents just to mention a couple of examples.

When playing "Draw Something" on my phone I usually select wrong words because of the imprecision of the touchscreen, I don't want that to happen in a fast action paced game.

Even "cut the rope" is better on the dsi than the phone... the stylus gives me a better visibility and precision.

And yes, I play those games on 2012

Dave Long

Banned
He's not wrong though

iPhone Touchscreen > 3DS Touchscreen
Uh... this is definitely subjective. I own and use both almost daily and I really don't think one is much better than the other. In fact, with a stylus, precision is way better on the 3DS.

not sure if it was mentioned in this thread already, but the ds/l/i/xxl/3ds screens doo actually support multitouch if a developer uses it. It may be not official supported, but it does work. there are even games that uses it, like hotel dusk for example where you have to activate 2 different switches at once - even if nintendo officially states that something like that wound't work.

I don't remember how Hotel Dusk uses it, but I do remember while messing around in Pictochat seeing how one could sort of do so. Press two points, and it would draw at the halfway point. This allowed for some interesting drawing techniques. I also realized this meant if they had a Left button and Right button on a screen, if both were being used it could tell so by the activation of an invisible Center button. "My" method wouldn't be very flexible, though.
Ookami-kun said:
During the main conference there was a section that showed the gamepad. IIRC it mentioned analog input for triggers.
I was really paying attention to that part because of the confusion around it, and didn't hear that mentioned. I remember it being said the Zs were triggers where your hands would naturally sit. Trigger doesn't imply analog, though, as they've used that at least as far back as N64's Z button.

Hieberrr

It's 2012, many people already owns external HDD's.

No HDD = cheaper WiiU ----> more people buying it.

Most people actually don't. Most of the game/electronic enthusiasts do, but not the rest of the market.

But I'm not complaining. I'd much rather use my own HDD than a proprietary piece of shit.

I think thought hard about the question: do we really need it? Is it worth the price?

The answer is obvious.

No, it isn't. Do we even know what the "price" difference of multitouch would be?

I'm tired of people just assuming Nintendo can do no wrong with the hardware design. Just admit they're being cheapskates and move on. No need to white-knight them at every turn.

Edit: Case in point:

Non issue because it looks like you can control with the tip of your finger, not just a pointy stylus or fingernail. Multi touch brings nothing to games, I'm sure Nintendo researched this.

KillGore

It's 2012 and HDDs are still expensive as fuck, have you been under a rock or something? Maybe Nintendo should put a SSD in the Wii U...

You're kidding me right? HDDs are not that expensive anymore. You can find a 120gb hard drive for almost $30 (I found this in under a minute, Imagine taking longer to look for the best deal). Imagine Nintendo buying that in huge quantities, it shouldn't be expensive for them at all.

I guess desktops shouldn't come with hard drives then right? Just put the OS in a small flash mamory. I mean EVERYONE has external HDDs then it shouldn't matter.

Not everyone has an external hard drive, I know I dont, plus the competition does have hard drives on their console and at a cheaper price or similar price. Come on guys, keep coming with these excuses.

Koren

I don't think I've touched an IR screen (I think). I'm interested now.
I thought I would never get a good e-book reader with touch, because capacitive/resistive always have a small inpact on the display quality (reduced contrast), which was a no-go for me for an e-book reader.

Then I bought in 2010 on the the newest Sony eReaders with IR touch. They are great. I manage to make precise drawings on the screen with a stylus, and it works perfectly with touch (I got used to turn the pages with a finger sweep rather than a button press). It's not multitouch on those, as far as I know, but it can be done without a lot of hardware modifications.

You can probably try a PRS-T1 in a lot of places. The software (and e-paper) is sometimes a bit slow to follow your drawing, but that's not a touchscreen issue.

It's often used in the industry because they can take an awful lot of beating.

Amir0x

Banned

No HDD in every system, means developers can't depend on it to be there, means there are immediately options cut off to them in determining where to best spend their funds.

People must just want inferior platforms for no reason. I got 1TB of HDD space for like 89.99 only like a year ago. And it's doubtful Nintendo would need much more than 60GB for a start.

These people making excuses for this giant faceless corporation who has literally tons of money that they are quite clearly NOT investing back into new hardcore IPs or any other thing that is "new" at all at this point that would cost more than a stick of gum to produce might begin to wonder to themselves why exactly they would try to defend such decisions.

Ultimately, Wii U is a PS360-level hardware platform; PS360 platforms come with 160gbs for under $299.99 (often with MULTIPLE games included! And PS3 has a blu-ray!). If Wii U had a smaller size, and cames out this fall, you're telling me there is some massive impossible price gap even considering the Wii U pad (which they've clearly cut corners on to make cheap anyway - comically low fidelity screen, abysmal battery life, system runs 30fps when two pads are used, etc)?

The question you should be asking is "what's best for me as a gamer?" There is no sane argument against an included HDD being best for a gamer. Unless you hate gaming, there's really no argument to be made here.

Non issue because it looks like you can control with the tip of your finger, not just a pointy stylus or fingernail. Multi touch brings nothing to games, I'm sure Nintendo researched this.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
In point of fact, no, I don't think pinch to zoom is the only thing multi-touch is good for. I have a vita, I have a tablet. I have, indeed, partaken of the rope cutting and the ninja fruiting.

It would be ideal from an interface flexibility standpoint if the Wii U controller had multi-touch... but of everything else it COULD lack, that is the least important thing for, ironically, the hardcore market.

The ones most upset at Nintendo's E3 showing. The ones who wish the Wii U padlet didn't even exist. And who all say they're going to run out and buy a Wii U Pro Pad to play like real gamers.

So in this sense, Nintendo really can't win.

Leave out multitouch, concerned enthusiast gamers will say they're crippling the system. While seemingly an equal number of enthusiast gamers will say who needs a screen at all, get rid of it, and get a real game pad.

The Wii U.

It's sufficient.

The system was originally called Wii Ultimate.

But shaving off seven letters saved enough to cover the blue LED around the home button.

Zornica

Banned
I don't remember how Hotel Dusk uses it, but I do remember while messing around in Pictochat seeing how one could sort of do so. Press two points, and it would draw at the halfway point. This allowed for some interesting drawing techniques. I also realized this meant if they had a Left button and Right button on a screen, if both were being used it could tell so by the activation of an invisible Center button. "My" method wouldn't be very flexible, though.

that's approximately how they did it in hotel dusk, but there are videos on youtube showing some homebrewed ds's recognizing if you touch the screen with 1 or 2 Styli so it could be programmed to work that way. And there is at least one other game that uses this, I can't remember how it was called.
anyway, it's useability is very limited ofc, but for simple things like zooming, which is probably the only thing multitouch is used for anyway, this would probably work. there is a video on youtube from a guy called ashen (you may know him). He did a review of an ipad clone with a resistiv touchscreen and he demonstrates that zooming works, so theoretically it should work here too.

Chuckpebble

In point of fact, no, I don't think pinch to zoom is the only thing multi-touch is good for. I have a vita, I have a tablet. I have, indeed, partaken of the rope cutting and the ninja fruiting.

I actually just came in to ask about this. So the Vita does have multi-touch? Does the Vita have any games that make use of it yet? Just not seeing it as such a make or break feature.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

It's 2012
You can have stylus precision for specific apps/games, or use your finger as in Rayman, have you seen the E3 video?

Nintendo must not have played Where's My Water.

Is Cut My Rope shorter on DS/browser? I don't see how some of the later levels would be possible without multitouch.

Ramma2

Woah arguments about not including a hard drive, this is like 2005 all over again!

My opinion, its silly to not have one standard.

Stronty

I'm less likely to buy a WiiU at release without multi touch, I too am a cheapskate and might pick one up when they are at the end of their lifespan, unless some other company has a more compelling offering at a discount price. Gamecube didn't need DVD or a modem on day one and I didn't need a Gamecube on day 1 either, I however did need a Dreamcast on day 1 with Soul Calibur. If a console has sizzle I'll jump in early, otherwise I'll just wait for pricedrops and clearances.

Kamille

It's 2012

A stylus isn't actually required. Most people I've seen using the touch screen at E3 do so with their fingers. Stylus is more ideal for drawing and when you need some extra precision.

Is Cut My Rope shorter on DS/browser? I don't see how some of the later levels would be possible without multitouch.

Cut The Rope has the multitouch stages removed on DSiWare. When it comes down to it, the little novelties of multitouch in 99 cent throwaway games are trivial to Nintendo, if multitouch adds nothing to their big games they don't need it.

KillGore

I love how some of you guys are trying to excuse Nintendo not using multitouch with things like "I bet they researched it" or "multi touch isn't needed" yet you think dual screen is needed? you think motion controls are needed? you think a screen on your controller is needed? Of course not, none of these are really needed but the more options there are, the more these devs can explore and open up new ideas for future games.

I bet Nintendo will have multitouch one day and these people will be amazed how Nintendo uses multitouch.

marc^o^

Can you play PictoPict or Meteos on an iPhone? No, and these games are just as good as Cut the Rope.

There are plenty of questionable decisions to pick on Nintendo for the Wii U.
Using a resistive screen is not one of them.

Multitouch is very rarely useful for gaming, especially on a device with buttons.

Liamario

Banned
From what i've seen, touching the screen with just your finger does require more pressure than I would like.

You can have stylus precision for specific apps/games, or use your finger as in Rayman, have you seen the E3 video?

I understand you can use your finger but you're not going to get the same responsiveness as of you're using a stylus, this should not be a tech issue in 2012, this is like 2001 palm pilot issues

Where are people getting this "No HDD" stuff from? It will still have some form of onboard storage, right? Flash based? I seem to recall the dev spec leak said 8 gigs of internal storage plus 512 mb for system applications.

marc^o^

I understand you can use your finger but you're not going to get the same responsiveness as of you're using a stylus, this should not be a tech issue in 2012, this is like 2001 palm pilot issues
Hands-on and the flawless onstage Rayman rythm demo seem to show the input is just fine. Apple is on a league of its own regarding responsiveness, doesn't mean inferior screens do not do the job.

Tobor

I actually just came in to ask about this. So the Vita does have multi-touch? Does the Vita have any games that make use of it yet? Just not seeing it as such a make or break feature.

Yes, the Vita has a capacitive screen, the result is a better experience when using fingers than any DS has ever had.

It's not about one make or break function of the screen, it's about the overall user experience. Capacitive is better with fingers.

steveovig

It would also save cost if you dumped the stupid controller to begin with. Then, they'd actually be able to compete for third parties.

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont think that it is a big deal. For browsing, multi touch could be easier, that is true, but i dont think it will be a big deal in the games.

gogogow

You're kidding me right? HDDs are not that expensive anymore. You can find a 120gb hard drive for almost $30 (I found this in under a minute, Imagine taking longer to look for the best deal). Imagine Nintendo buying that in huge quantities, it shouldn't be expensive for them at all.

You're kidding me right? Thailand flood, remember? Reading your posts, I think you didn't know about that. Ebay prices really? Go to Newegg, some legit dealer, there you can see HDD prices, not some random ebay seller.

I'm only saying that HDD prices are through the roof, not that Nintendo shouldn't put HDD's in the Wii U. As a consumer/potential customer, of course I would love them to put one in.

mantidor

Lowered expectations. The ability to get straight ports from iOS/Android would have been nice.

I'm sure there still will be many straight ports, not every game uses multitouch, and when they use it more often than not is for zooming, which can easily be solved by all the buttons and stick the thing has.

Haha. Nintendo has never made a mistake designing hardware. Never.

No one is perfect but they have had a pretty good track record so far in interface hardware, as in "setting the industry standard" kind of quality.

I guess that we won't be playing any piano minigames, but I'll live with it. Honestly thats the only "gaming" application I can think of right now.

marc^o^

It would also save cost if you dumped the stupid controller to begin with. Then, they'd actually be able to compete for third parties.
Do we really need another inferior PC? Wii U is about offering an alternate gaming experience. Eurogamer wrote there's more new concepts in Nintendo Land than on the whole E3 showfloor. This is exagereted of course, but still. Some ideas won't stick, others will. Wii U will succeed based on Nintendo creators vision: a balance of exclusive features and compromises.

Top Bottom