• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World 2011 8-10 Jan [Update: neoGAF geekin' out to quality game music]

swerve

Vinterbird said:
Since it fucks up region sales and so on. Which was the reasoning why they locked it in first place.

No, they locked it because they have an online store and it's their chosen way to deal with licensing/user accounts. Same for Wii, which was unlocked until very late stages (Perrin Kaplan famously not getting the memo).

swerve said:
No, they locked it because they have an online store and it's their chosen way to deal with licensing/user accounts. Same for Wii, which was unlocked until very late stages (Perrin Kaplan famously not getting the memo).

In that case, they could have had their locked online store, but unlocked DSi exclusive physical games. Which was not the case.

I don't want no fancy-smancy art on my Zelda box. I want this. With glorious shiny gold for the background. And no "3D" tacked onto the game title.

aKfRK.jpg

Keeping it old-school.

Chairhome

1-D_FTW said:
What does that mean? I'm right handed and I reach for my wallet with my left hand. I even pull my keys out and open the car door lock with my left hand. Does that mean I'm screwed too?
Uh... it was a joke about how he's so rich from making games for righties.

Chairhome

Vinterbird said:
In that case, they could have had their locked online store, but unlocked DSi exclusive physical games. Which was not the case.
Isn't this a non issue right now since there are like... two dsi exclusive games?

If the worry is that people will confuse DS and 3DS boxes, I'd rather have the logo on the top than on the right.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to trying it out in the morning.

Chairhome said:
Isn't this a non issue right now since there are like... two dsi exclusive games?

In the case of the DSi - sure. But it is an indication of where Nintendo is going with their systems. Meaning the 3DS will region locked.

Boogiepop

Vinterbird said:
Yup. And therefore close to unplayable for all us left handed people.
Personally, I'm thinking of taking the thumb strap off my DS Phat and using that if I can't get used to trying to use the stylus righty. Generally worked pretty well for me whenever I needed it on the DS...

Super Street Fighter IV sounds pretty awesome.

I like how you can download play with the download play. In other words, it sounds like you can download the game from someone with the cartridge, then go somewhere else and have other people download from you and play together.

However, it sounds like one of those features few developers will use, ever. Like custom soundtracks on the Wii (Excite Truck), or USB keyboards on the Wii.

Neiteio

seady said:
I wish Nintendo put some of their "Nintendo Magic" into this game as I see a lot of potential. Right now it feels like a interesting but also generic looking submarine game. But imagine if they add some art style into it - give it "Star Fox" or "Advance Wars" kinda treatment and create some new Nintendo mascots to go with the game? That would be a new franchise right there for years to come. Would be nice if it is a launch title too.

sft_steeldiver_main.jpg
I do feel Steel Diver has Nintendo Magic, in that more subtle "Sim City on Super NES" sort of way. Just as that game appeared to be mostly "generic" (read: down-to-earth) city-building with occasional cartoon touches like Dr. Wright, so too does Steel Diver lovingly simulate something -- in this case, naval warfare -- while adding a fantastical touch here and there for good measure. I already love the nautilus sea monster in the art!

Mank said:
Personally, I'm thinking of taking the thumb strap off my DS Phat and using that if I can't get used to trying to use the stylus righty. Generally worked pretty well for me whenever I needed it on the DS...

This is what I gonna do, thumbstrap with Metroid Prime Hunters worked really well.

wwm0nkey

Why would you do that? said:
Super Street Fighter IV sounds pretty awesome.

I like how you can download play with the download play. In other words, it sounds like you can download the game from someone with the cartridge, then go somewhere else and have other people download from you and play together.

However, it sounds like one of those features few developers will use, ever. Like custom soundtracks on the Wii (Excite Truck), or USB keyboards on the Wii.
Sounds like something more people would use to me, Download a demo and share it with people. Kind of like Viral Demos :lol

That or they could just release the demo on the store.

Keyouta

I haven't seen much talk of the 3DS' OS. I know not everything has been revealed, but based on the preview video, what do you guys think?

Keyouta said:
I haven't seen much talk of the 3DS' OS. I know not everything has been revealed, but based on the preview video, what do you guys think?

Next natural step from DSi. The ingame menu you can bring up is cool, but we'll know more next week.

wrowa

Android18a said:
I don't want no fancy-smancy art on my Zelda box. I want this. With glorious shiny gold for the background. And no "3D" tacked onto the game title.

http://i.imgur.com/aKfRK.jpg[IMG]

Keeping it old-school.[/QUOTE]
PAL artwork or bust.

[img]http://npshare.de/thumbnails/add7c809/nf/500x500/SNC11224.th.JPG

So much better than the US one.

Neiteio

Any impressions written up for Steel Diver? I'm very interested in the game now that I've seen the colorful promo art/screens shown for it at Nintendo's website. :)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I was going to chime in.

Any Steel Diver or Pilotwings impressions? Anyone confirm the Zelda framerate? And where are the videos!!!

wrowa

Speaking of it, wasn't there supposed to be a video of Tales of the Abyss? Hopefully Namco plans to put it online these days, I'm curious whether or not they've downgraded the game technically.

(Yes, I'm aware that there shouldn't be any need for a downgrade and that the screenshots are looking quite the same, but after RR I don't trust Namco. Especially not, since I assume that TotA is going to be quite a quick and maybe dirty port)

ashbash159 said:
Because of using the slide-pad WITH the stylus. We can't use pens in our right hand with much precision.
Right, but Kid Icarus doesn't require super precision with the stylus, just general movements. Regardless, you better get used to it, Sakurai was proud of his control scheme for KI, and said he hopes other companies adopt it.

wwm0nkey said:
Sounds like something more people would use to me, Download a demo and share it with people. Kind of like Viral Demos :lol

That or they could just release the demo on the store.
Well, the original DS could sort of do that, but very few games used that feature. :(

Sonic Rush had it. Before I bought it, I would download the demo from someone with the full game and I'd never turn the system off and play it over and over. Those were fun times...

...Point is, DS Download Play felt way too under-utilized, and I have a feeling it'll be the same for the 3DS.

Raelson said:
Looking forward to the music today.
I have a bad feeling it'll be the same music every day. However, if not, I desperately hope for Pokemon and maybe Kirby and Metroid music.

Xrenity

Hex said:
Why does that look like a blatant rip off of that Jurassic Park 3D-ish gif that has been used forever?

http://i.imgur.com/I5iup.gif[/IM][/QUOTE]
Because this is what dinosaurs look like.

Why would you do that? said:
...Point is, DS Download Play felt way too under-utilized, and I have a feeling it'll be the same for the 3DS.
Wasn't there talk of 3DS automatically installing demos (and probably firmware updates) using Spotpass...wait, probably not spotpass (which I'm guessing is smaller metadata like Miis, and Nintendogs) but the other communication for DS systems standing still whose name I've fotgotten (hopefully its not been dropped due to battery concerns, altough it could have been a huge mistranslation of spotpass for all I know).

Then I guess that would mean the NAND would have demo verisons of games you've recently played stored in it which it then sends to other systems.

JohnB

jay said:
Many, many kids read Atlus Shrugged or some other Rand novel in high school and think it's the most profound thing ever. I guess you either go Vonnegut and absurd humanism or Rand and objectivism in your teens. You know, because there are exactly two types of people.

O.T. but I recall this made me giggle when I read this for the first time the other week: :D

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Cheers!

JohnB

I hope to hell Nintendo set up accounts for this system.

When I received as a gift a black Wii I couldn't believe I had to send my old Wii console back, along with the new one and wait a week or so just to transfer my purchases over.

And the black Wii had been roughed up something rotten in the process.

Cheers,
J

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Android18a said:

aKfRK.jpg

Keeping it old-school.
if any piece of artwork has to be chosen for OoT, Ganondorf vs Link is the best one.

JohnB said:
I hope to hell Nintendo set up accounts for this system.

When I received as a gift a black Wii I couldn't believe I had to send my old Wii console back, along with the new one and wait a week or so just to transfer my purchases over.

And the black Wii had been roughed up something rotten in the process.

Cheers,
J

They've said as late back as E3 that they were aware of that problem for the Wii, and they would try and fix it for 3DS.

Vinterbird said:
They've said as late back as E3 that they were aware of that problem for the Wii, and they would try and fix it for 3DS.
The DSi->3DS transfers could be accomplished via some ridiculous password system rather than actual user accounts. Best to keep expectations low here.

seady

Cheesemeister said:
If the worry is that people will confuse DS and 3DS boxes, I'd rather have the logo on the top than on the right.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to trying it out in the morning.

Yeah, I wish the put the logo on the top, and have the case open at the bottom. That would be unique. (would be nice if all covers are 3D too)

seady

VOOK said:
I'm left handed and had trouble playing Kid Icarus, just saying.

I am left handed too and already have a lot of trouble playing games on the DS that forces you to use your right hand for stylus. Heroes of Mana comes to mind.

Father_Brain said:
The DSi->3DS transfers could be accomplished via some ridiculous password system rather than actual user accounts. Best to keep expectations low here.

Does the 3DS have an IR port? Because they will probably circumvent the DSiWare license transfer that way. Or sell us a separate cable.

This is a 3 day event, right? We're going to see more later tonight around the same time as last night right? What are they showing off tonight?

Instro

Cow Mengde said:
This is a 3 day event, right? We're going to see more later tonight around the same time as last night right? What are they showing off tonight?

aopf9i.png

Street Fighter and Resident Evil are tonight.

Inferno313 said:
Random question that probably doesn't have an answer:

Will we be able to transfer DSiWare purchases to this?

Yes, they've already said that you will be able to transfer DSiWare purchases to the 3DS. You can also transfer DSiWare and 3DS Ware purchases between 3DS machines.

Regulus Tera said:
Does anyone know if they are gonna play any new pieces for the Music Live event, or will it be the same as yesterday's?
Hopefully new. I'd love some awesome jazzy Kirby and Yoshi music.

Top Bottom