• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World 2011 8-10 Jan [Update: neoGAF geekin' out to quality game music]

Chittagong

Gold Member
The japanese launch lineup looks pretty disappointing. Well, looking at the positive side, makes it easier to resist getting a phat 3DS

GDGF

Soothsayer
swerve said:
No, it's a 3D mode, still played in 2D, just viewed differently. If you switch of 3D, it seems fair that you switch off the 3D viewing mode.

Whilst that sounds very cool, it doesn't really change the gameplay, it just enables a different camera which would make no sense without depth.

But it does open the door to creating genres where depth perception is paramount. I imagine the effect this would have on platformers (where you'll be able to accurately judge distance finally) or games where weapons would be range dependent, or flight sims where you'll finally be able to gauge how far away an enemy is from you (which would help you to line up shots)
Hell, sports games could take huge advantage of depth perception.

The doors are open.

wsippel

Banned
Outlandish theory regarding Game Coins:

What if Game Coins are basically a Gamerscore that's also a game independent "currency"? Let's say you can earn 1000 points per game by completing achievements, and every game contains unlockables worth 1000 points as well - but you can spend coins collected in one game in any other game. You suck at, say, Street Fighter, but there is this unlockable costume you really want, and you know you'd probably never manage to unlock it playing just Street Fighter. But you are also pretty good at Mario Kart. You play some Mario Kart, earn an achievement, get coins, and use those coins to unlock that cool Street Fighter costume. But you also get a small amount of coins by doing other stuff - passing people in StreetPass, adding friends, checking out demos, buying 3DSWare, or simply by walking around. Just as a motivation to carry the system with you at all times, check new releases, and simply use it to it's fullest, because maybe, just maybe, one more step taken, one more friend added, or one more demo download will give you that one coin you needed to unlock that awesome paintjob in Ridge Racer.

Kard8p3

wsippel said:

What if Game Coins are basically a Gamerscore that's also a game independent "currency"? Let's say you can earn 1000 points per game by completing achievements, and every game contains unlockables worth 1000 points as well - but you can spend coins collected in one game in any other game. You suck at, say, Street Fighter, but there is this unlockable costume you really want, and you know you'd probably never manage to unlock it playing just Street Fighter. But you are also pretty good at Mario Kart. You play some Mario Kart, earn an achievement, get coins, and use those coins to unlock that cool Street Fighter costume. But you also get a small amount of coins by doing other stuff - passing people in StreetPass, adding friends, checking out demos, buying 3DSWare, or simply by walking around. Just as a motivation to carry the system with you at all times, check new releases, and simply use it to it's fullest, because maybe, just maybe, one more step taken, one more friend added, or one more demo download will give you that one coin you needed to unlock that awesome paintjob in Ridge Racer.

Now I'm going to want game coins to work like this.

wsippel said:

Fuck yeah dude, I hope this happens! Good thought.

wsippel said:

Now this has to happen otherwise i will be disappointed

pulga

Banned
wsippel said:

Now I'm gonna hate you after its revealed to be just a pedometer thing.

Poyunch

The only problem I can see occurring is that with eventually so many games, coins will be abundant and either unlockables will become too easy to unlock or the number of coins required to unlock something increases exponentially making it harder for new 3DS owners to unlock.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think it says that 3DS records number of steps, and that depending on the number of steps recorded you accumulate 'game coin'.

The stats package also records games played, time spent in each game etc. I think it says you can see a breakdown of steps take daily, weekly, monthly etc.

So game coin is linked to the number of steps taken. It says something else about it but Google Translate isn't doing very well with athat...perhaps it illuminates the purpose of 'game coin'.

edit - I think it says re. game coin that 'common use in game will support'. So I guess the more you walk, the more game coin you get, and some games might read that game coin number and perhaps do something with it. Doesn't seem to make a huge amount of sense but that seems to be what it is.

luffeN

After watching the Pit vs. Death boss fight I kinda want a Bayonetta for 3DS. The battle somehow reminded me of Bayonetta.

ASIS

wsippel said:

Contact Nintendo ASAP!

Seriously though, this is such an awesome idea.

EDIT: will there be anymore announcements or is this it? Could we expect some stuff about Wii? (specifically Zelda?)

Anth0ny

wsippel said:

That would be awesome.

Instro

wsippel said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIDLC8M4R28

GDGF

Soothsayer
wsippel said:

That's pretty fucking brilliant right there.

Fatbody

wsippel said:

The cross-game stuff you're talking about sounds a lot like what Ubisoft is doing with Uplay. I've spent points earned in Splinter Cell Conviction to unlock things in AC: Brotherhood.

Vanille

PounchEnvy said:
The only problem I can see occurring is that with eventually so many games, coins will be abundant and either unlockables will become too easy to unlock or the number of coins required to unlock something increases exponentially making it harder for new 3DS owners to unlock.

That's a good point. It would be very unbalanced.

gofreak said:
I think it says that 3DS records number of steps, and that depending on the number of steps recorded you accumulate 'game coin'.

The stats package also records games played, time spent in each game etc. I think it says you can see a breakdown of steps take daily, weekly, monthly etc.

So game coin is linked to the number of steps taken. It says something else about it but Google Translate isn't doing very well with athat...perhaps it illuminates the purpose of 'game coin'.

edit - I think it says re. game coin that 'common use in game will support'. So I guess the more you walk, the more game coin you get, and some games might read that game coin number and perhaps do something with it. Doesn't seem to make a huge amount of sense but that seems to be what it is.

And wsippel's idea isn't contradictory to that, it would just be one of a number of ways to get coins. Whatever it is I doubt it's limited to steps, which already have a counter on the top screen.

Vanille said:
That's a good point. It would be very unbalanced.

If each game offered the same amount of coins and cost the same total to unlock all content, it wouldn't be unbalanced at all.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Vinterbird said:
Yup. And therefore close to unplayable for all us left handed people.

I am left handed and I did have issues with it, but it's one of those things you just get used to. You aren't doing anything complex with your right hand, and I don't believe the problems I had had anything to do with my left handedness (more of a disconnect between what I was doing and where I was looking.)

The really complex stuff was being done with my left hand.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
john tv said:
Gah, sorry I missed this. I wasn't really looking for it; I kinda want to say it wasn't actually 60fps, but definitely don't quote me on that. To be honest I'm not much of an fps guy myself; as long as it's steady, I'm happy.

We'll be talking all about everything we played on the next 8-4 Play, which I think we'll probably move a week forward to this coming week. :)
Much appreciated :)

Poyunch

Graphics Horse said:
If each game offered the same amount of coins and cost the same total to unlock all content, it wouldn't be unbalanced at all.
What happens after three years of 3DS gaming? Are subsequent games still going to require the same number of coins to unlock something? Don't you think the value of coins would drop after people have gathered three years worth of coins? That would lower the value of unlockables.

The smart thing to do would increase the number of coins required to unlock things but that would leave new adopters at a disadvantage.

Somnid

The game coins look to be a public pool of credits obtained by walking around with your DS that you can use to unlock stuff/use in games.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Doesn't keep track of games you completed? What about the crowns?

The crowns from what it sounds is a relative ranking. A gold #1 crown on "time played" would be on your most played game for example.

Anyway in that screenshot the info page from top to bottom is:

Time played for
Number of Times played
Time played per week
First time played
Last time played

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I noticed this earlier but for both Super Street Fighter IV and Dead or Alive, "Internet Play" is the option for online play in the in-game menus.

They're locked down for the demo units obviously, but what's worth mentioning is that they use those names instead of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

thought it was worth mentioning.

There's an additional event at 16:00 that wasn't on the original schedules. I got intrigued for a second, but then I looked at the characters and realized that it's just a Nintendo Music Live encore.

Nessus

Graphics Horse said:
And wsippel's idea isn't contradictory to that, it would just be one of a number of ways to get coins. Whatever it is I doubt it's limited to steps, which already have a counter on the top screen.

Makes me sad that Nintendo won't do it, but they could make "achievement" coins be red coins. Things could require a combination of both currencies to unlock, could even be used towards buying games or something in the store, various promotions.

That would solve any balance issues, I think.

Father_Brain said:
There's an additional event at 16:00 that wasn't on the original schedules. I got intrigued for a second, but then I looked at the characters and realized that it's just a Nintendo Music Live encore.

so two music event in one day? they smartened up :D

Top Bottom