• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: you can now buy games via Nintendo.com, have them sent to your console

SmokeMaxX

Aw man, it only accepts credit cards. Would have liked it if they used my eShop funds. :(

"We accept VISA and MasterCard (U.S. and Canada only). Please note that we cannot accept Nintendo eShop funds or Club Nintendo Coins as payment for purchases on this site."

Kinda pointless to not allow eShop funds to be used.

Meh. I'd love gifting if they allowed eShop funds. I was about to have some Bayonetta 2 sales in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread but since I can't gift out of my eShop money, there's no point.

Gleethor

They should announce pre-loading right before smash comes out. I would definitely go digital and buy extra storage for that.

Ondore

Actual functionality question here: I'm in Canada, so once I log in with the NNID info will it auto-switch to Canadian pricing and let me send it? Or does it do that automatically?

Pre-ordering it is a step behind. But now I can buy, say, Hyrule Warriors & have the game download while I'm at work. At least it is progress.

Yeh, I'm not knocking the idea of the web shop and pushing the download to the system. It's just pre-orders as they currently are (i.e. with no discount, or extra) that I don't really get.

Actual functionality question here: I'm in Canada, so once I log in with the NNID info will it auto-switch to Canadian pricing and let me send it? Or does it do that automatically?

If you use the US site and try to sign in, you will get an error. However on that same page is a link to the Canadian site which then works fine.

Bwana Whiskey

Neo Member
Just ordered Earthbound from their site and choose the option to send it directly to my U for a test. Checked it about 1-2 minutes later, nothing yet in the Download Management.

Just ordered Earthbound from their site and choose the option to send it directly to my U for a test. Checked it about 1-2 minutes later, nothing yet in the Download Management.

I think you're gonna have to leave the system off (stand-by) for a bit. At least until the amber light comes on.

EDIT: If you filter search by "Wii U Games" "3DS Games" "Available Now" and "Nintendo.com" (as in purchase method), it shows a total of 87 games.

Datschge

It will download while in standby. The frequency (every hour, every 24h etc.) it checks for stuff (updates, downloads) can be set in the standby settings.

Bwana Whiskey

Neo Member
It will download while in standby. The frequency (every hour, every 24h etc.) it checks for stuff (updates, downloads) can be set in the standby settings.

I turned it on immediately after placing my order and left it on. And the download just started. Took about 8-10 minutes to start the auto download.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I turned it on immediately after placing my order and left it on. And the download just started. Took about 8-10 minutes to start the auto download.

I think this is new, compared to what said in the web eShop thread. There, it seemed that the download could start speficically when the console was in stand-by mode, even if it wasn't something we were completely sure of. Now, it seems downloads start while the console is fully turned on as well...?

Bwana Whiskey

Neo Member
I think this is new, compared to what said in the web eShop thread. There, it seemed that the download could start speficically when the console was in stand-by mode, even if it wasn't something we were completely sure of. Now, it seems downloads start while the console is fully turned on as well...?

I turned mine on right after I ordered it and kept checking the download management until it popped up around the 10 minute mark. Looks like it works while the console is on too.

Salsa

xFnh1ry.png

wut

so this is nothing but a shorcut

lame as all hell

edit: ah, okay, games already out are a direct purchase

now if they only accepted international credit cards like everyone else and their mother.. or paypal

boiled goose

good with gravy
It would be nice if the active device list were as loose as Google Play's, but unfortunately, it's not an industry standard, certainly not in the video game console business.

Nintendo needs to lead or continue to become increasingly irrelevant.

how entertainment is accessed, purchased, and distributed has involved. All manufacturers of consoles need to adapt. Nintendo is the 1 struggling the most so the other ones with the most reasons to adapt.

xFnh1ry.png

wut

so this is nothing but a shorcut

lame as all hell

edit: ah, okay, games already out are a direct purchase

now if they only accepted international credit cards like everyone else and their mother.. or paypal

Games not already out can be pre-ordered.

And I still don't get why your international card doesn't work with a Canadian account. That will forever be weird to me.

**Goes to preorder Bayonetta 2**
**Fails**
**Learns preordering doesn't do shit anyway**
**Soul is crushed a little bit more**
**Finds comfort in Nintendo consistency**
**Will to live sustained**

maxcriden

This also means that winners of maxcriden code giveaways can use the alpha site and have that game ready to go when they get home.

Also surprise post Direct releases (like NES Remix) will also be ready to go when we get off work.

For a company that loves to blindside their base with random releases (every weeks eShop offerings) this could be a cool timesaver.

Haha, you've outed my vanity searching. ;)

(I do really like the idea of this.)

El Sabroso

Use a Canadian eShop account. You can use international cards on that eShop as well as the Canadian version of this site (..I assume, since the US version wouldn't let me log in)

sadly web version does not allow international Cards, tried with same card I purchase games in Canadian eShop from console but in web tells me it needs to match billing address

I hope Nintendo introduces Pre-Orders from console's eShop app, so I can pre-order games

Does this imply that Nintendo got their heads our of their asses and there is finally an account system? If so, I can finally buy a Nintendo product! Yay!

Ondore

Does it say "Bought on the Nintendo website" or similar, or just "Bought with a download code" like what happens when you redeem a Club Nintendo code?

oatmeal

Banned
Nintendo has done multiple FLAWLESS launches, no reason to think Smash will be any different.

MK8 was smooth as butter, Zelda TWW was smooth, Mario 3D World (probably the biggest test they had initially) was about 3-4 mins late but was perfect.

Nintendo has launches on lock down.

Rich!

Nintendo has done multiple FLAWLESS launches, no reason to think Smash will be any different.

MK8 was smooth as butter, Zelda TWW was smooth, Mario 3D World (probably the biggest test they had initially) was about 3-4 mins late but was perfect.

Nintendo has launches on lock down.

I think you are forgetting the catastrophe that was Wii U launch day. Also, the servers were down for the N3DS JP launch.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Doesn't PSN (dunno about XBL since I never owned one) also have the account console limit? It's not as free as people think.

bumpkin

Yep! Hope they open in PAL too! Is the automatic download real?
I can't see how it'd be any different than the system updates if you keep your Wii U in standby mode. I just wish there was a game I wanted right now to test that theory.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I can't see how it'd be any different than the system updates if you keep your Wii U in standby mode. I just wish there was a game I wanted right now to test that theory.

Hope so! Would be pretty useful to me, being at work all day

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Did they add that page today?

Also: redeeming codes online? Is that connected to the supposed web eShop pages we found out?

Top Bottom