• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's eventual new sidescrolling Mario needs to look like the art of SMB3

I mean like this:

Um0mTYo.jpg

Watching videos of Cuphead only strengthens that desire of mine. Nintendo has top-tier artists and gameplay designers working for them. There is still demand for old-school 2D sidescrolling Mario. And, with the release of the NES and SNES classic minis, old-school Mario is probably even more on people's minds than usual.

giphy.gif

f84ff033d545c004248e2a5319d2a3bc.gif

The game doesn't even need to have the same crazy amount of animation frames that Cuphead has (though I sure as shit wouldn't mind of it did). I just want to help you visualize what I am taking about. Beautiful 2D art/sprites, old-school-style. Reminiscent of Super Mario Bros. 3.

Fucking get Koichi Hayashida and put him on that shit, yo.

Closest we will ever get is Wario Land:Shake It/Dimension. Anime character animation frames by Production IG were yummy even if it wasn't like, butter smooth. Problem was it wasn't a Mario game.

Marcel

NSMB series is huge seller so I think you're gonna have to deal with another game in that style eventually.

maxcriden

I couldn't agree more, especially with Kotabe or Kotabe-inspired art.

Club_Nintendo_Characters_Poster.png

Reposting something I posted in an awesome recent thread about 2D Mario art.

Super Mario postage stamps just launched in Japan.

00000670_820_461.jpg

00000670_01.jpg

Kotabe's Mario art is my fave, for sure. I'm not sure if he did the art for these stamps but it looks similar to me. His art or something in the style of it adorns my Wii U GamePad cover (from GameStop). And then I love the inclusion of his art in 3DL and 3DW.

Kotabe-related threads:

Mario_beach_2016.jpg

New Summer Wallpaper from Nintendo reveals Mario's CHONCH status (image appears to be broken)

Nintendo Illustrations to Highlight The Wii U Difference (JP)

Old Iwata Asks: Yoichi Kotabe - The father of Mario art

Some similar art I like:

f864d8d88a52e20636dee9824fcbdb8a.jpg

images

images

Yoichi Kotabe's Mario art is amazing. I would love a 2D Mario game with his art style.

He did all the postcards in 3D Land too.

4.mpo

mario_letter-7.jpg

super_mario_3d_land___tanooki_peach___toads_by_supersmash3ds-d4goor8.png

ZeoVGM

Banned
Please yes.

No more of that nasty NSMB shit art please

It's been pointed out in the last thread but NSMBU actually looks great. It took them a while to make that art style into something interesting though.

But yeah, it seems like that style is done for mainline games. I would love to see Nintendo try something unique for their next 2D Mario. Specifically, amazing 2D art.

Gotta keep that 4-player mode though. So damn fun.

KingSlime

I don't know that there is anything more prospectively exciting to me (video game-wise) than the thought of a 2D Mario game with hand drawn art in that style. I would love to see Nintendo put a team together who specializes in that kind of style, and have them revisit some of their classic franchises this way. A new Mario, a new Zelda in the style of Link's Awakening with high-res 2D art... I would go crazy for that.

Marcel

It's been pointed out in the last thread but NSMBU actually looks great. It took them a while to make that art style into something interesting though.

But yeah, it seems like that style is done for mainline games.

Based on what?

I am very much hoping for this as well. That they do away entirely with the "New" style of sidescroller and make a new one.

This sort of echos comments made by Tezuka a year or two ago about what they want to do with the next 2D games when they happen. The two series and developers are seperate between 2D and 3D games.

psyfi

Banned
Yeah I've been saying this for years. It's their best Mario art style, and there's no reason they couldn't pull it off.

I like the NSMB artstyle more SMB3 comic art *ducks and hides*
lmao I refuse to believe anyone likes the NSMB aesthetic

compo

Banned
I liked the photo realistic look that certain parts of Paper Mario: Color Splash had. I think that could be a cool style for a side scroller.

Super Mario Run's VS mode has the other players as hand drawn artwork. Kotabe i think

SMR_Luigi_Preview.png
SMR_Toadette_Preview.png
SMR_Daisy_Preview.png
SMR_Peach_Preview.png
SMR_Yoshi_Preview.png

They've been pushing this since 3D land, surprise we haven't gotten one because Wario Land for the nintendo wii is nearly 10 years old

PSFan

Dang! I never noticed in the SMB3 artwork, that Luigi was making off with Peach while Mario was distracted with all those enemies.

CookTrain

I liked the photo realistic look that certain parts of Paper Mario: Color Splash had. I think that could be a cool style for a side scroller.

I wish Colour Splash were a better game because I think the presentation might be the best Mario has ever had. Such a complete, solid look.

clemenx

Banned
The hate for New! I think is really hyperbollic. It's not bad at all.

I agree we don't need more games in that style tho. They created an almost perfect 2d MArio with that style in the WiiU version.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Whats good for Wario, is good for Mario.

tumblr_m295jjf9tb1qb1m9to1_500.gif

tumblr_lrj84iBQqC1qk26dzo1_500.gif

DBJYi6x.gif

Instro

The hate for New! I think is really hyperbollic. It's not bad at all.

I agree we don't need more games in that style tho. They created an almost perfect 2d MArio with that style in the WiiU version.

Define not bad? By comparison to a wide array of recent 2D games, both indie or otherwise, it doesn't stack up well. The WiiU game is a step up, but nothing particularly special outside of certain levels.

Marcel

It's the dullest shit. It is bad, and deserves the hate it gets. It's like the artists working on those games just flat out don't care.

Look if you want Nintendo artists that don't care you should play a Paper Mario game after Thousand Year Door.

jett

D-Member
Look if you want Nintendo artists that don't care you should play a Paper Mario game after Thousand Year Door.

No, no, you aren't twisting my words like that. I specifically said the artists working on the NSMB games, and specifically those games.

Mikey Jr.

Yes please!

I have little interest in odyssey.

But another smb3? Id rebuy the switch immediately the day it comes out.

I just hope they drop the "New". Dumb name that doesn't make sense anymore. Be cool if they pull a Mario Kart and just call it Super Mario Bros. 9 or whatever number we're up to at this point.

Instro

It's the dullest shit. It is bad, and deserves the hate it gets. It's like the artists working on those games just flat out don't care.

I would guess that either they don't care, or in someway they believe that the art style contributes to the sales success of the series. Maybe both.

I just hope they drop the "New". Dumb name that doesn't make sense anymore. Be cool if they pull a Mario Kart and just call it Super Mario Bros. 9 or whatever number we're up to at this point.

I don't think they would do that, the New series is already it's own thing. Imagine a E3 reveal "Super Mario Bros... 5" tho. The only problem is almost no one knows World is SMB4.

Remember how much Miyamoto loathed the idea of Mario that it influenced him to create Yoshi's Island with its unabashed 2D art style? Even more ironic now that we see how bland NSMB the has looked.

I want to see them make a new Mario game with that sort of regret. With art possibly by KyoAni.

Altazor

Kotabe's Mario art is like my childhood. Man, I'd love to get a 2D Mario that looked just like that, but in motion.

Top Bottom