• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's eventual new sidescrolling Mario needs to look like the art of SMB3

ZeoVGM

Banned
Based on what?

It's been five years since the last one with no sign that it's coming. The largest time frame without a NSMB game was three years (and in one of those years, they put out two).

I'd say it's very likely that they're done with that specific style.

I couldn't agree more, especially with Kotabe or Kotabe-inspired art.

Club_Nintendo_Characters_Poster.png

Reposting something I posted in an awesome recent thread about 2D Mario art.

Kotabe's Mario art is my fave, for sure. I'm not sure if he did the art for these stamps but it looks similar to me. His art or something in the style of it adorns my Wii U GamePad cover (from GameStop). And then I love the inclusion of his art in 3DL and 3DW.

Kotabe-related threads:

Mario_beach_2016.jpg

New Summer Wallpaper from Nintendo reveals Mario's CHONCH status (image appears to be broken)

Nintendo Illustrations to Highlight The Wii U Difference (JP)

Old Iwata Asks: Yoichi Kotabe - The father of Mario art

Some similar art I like:

f864d8d88a52e20636dee9824fcbdb8a.jpg

images

images

These are gorgeous.

Whats good for Wario, is good for Mario.

tumblr_m295jjf9tb1qb1m9to1_500.gif

tumblr_lrj84iBQqC1qk26dzo1_500.gif

DBJYi6x.gif

I had never seen this game before. Yeah, something like that.

Mikey Jr.

I couldn't agree more, especially with Kotabe or Kotabe-inspired art.

Club_Nintendo_Characters_Poster.png

Reposting something I posted in an awesome recent thread about 2D Mario art.

Kotabe's Mario art is my fave, for sure. I'm not sure if he did the art for these stamps but it looks similar to me. His art or something in the style of it adorns my Wii U GamePad cover (from GameStop). And then I love the inclusion of his art in 3DL and 3DW.

Kotabe-related threads:

Mario_beach_2016.jpg

New Summer Wallpaper from Nintendo reveals Mario's CHONCH status (image appears to be broken)

Nintendo Illustrations to Highlight The Wii U Difference (JP)

Old Iwata Asks: Yoichi Kotabe - The father of Mario art

Some similar art I like:

f864d8d88a52e20636dee9824fcbdb8a.jpg

images

images

Ahh, I always wondered why the new art never clicked with me.
Didn't know it was a specific artist who did it. Nice! Thanks.

It's been five years since the last one with no sign that it's coming. The largest time frame without a NSMB game was three years (and in one of those years, they put out two).

While I disagree that they're done with the style (Mario Maker and Mario Run say hi), I would definitely love a fresh coat of paint. I don't hate the NSMB style as much as a lot of people seem to, and I think NSMB2 is an awesome game that gets tons of undue hate. But it does feel as soulless as Donkey Kong Country.

Bluth54

The fact it's been 5 years since the last one means nothing when we get one per platform.

MarkusRJR

Good-feel working with EAD on a 2D Mario would be a dream project tbh. Gorgeous 2D art from Good-feel while EAD focuses on level design and gameplay.

It'll never happen, but it would probably be amazing.

Galang

Banned
I'm sure it's been considered at some point. Hopefully they'll decide to green light a project like this in the near future.

HeroR

The games were release within 9 months of each other, I don't see how that is the case.

It was Donkey Kong Country. It was said in an interview that they were pressured to make Yoshi Island 3D like the Donkey Kong Country, which got a lot of ire from the Yoshi Island team.

The games were release within 9 months of each other, I don't see how that is the case.

I'm sure Miyamoto saw Donkey Kong Country from the moment it started development. Considering games took much shorter to develop back then, it's possible Miyamoto saw DKC in development, and it inspired him to go in the opposite way for Yoshi's Island.

While I disagree that they're done with the style (Mario Maker and Mario Run say hi), I would definitely love a fresh coat of paint. I don't hate the NSMB style as much as a lot of people seem to, and I think NSMB2 is an awesome game that gets tons of undue hate. But it does feel as soulless as Donkey Kong Country.
How is DKC "soulless"?

KJA

I'm surprised no one has mentioned these official animated artwork, present in Mario Kart 8.

MK8-Line-Mario-Drift.gif

MK8-Line-Mario-Kart.gif

MK8-Line-Mario-Sleep.gif

MK8-Line-Mario-Lakitu.gif

I'd love to see game made out of this.

Mario World assets looked amazing in Mario Maker. I want a game that looks like that

Actually anything that isn’t the awful style they have now. I don’t need koopa troopas dancing to that terrible music

Might just be me but I really don't think any of these look good. First one looks like a fan-made online Mario game and the rest are way too artsy or just plain ugly.

Not saying that a drawing-styled Mario game wouldn't work - they already used this idea back in 1995 with Yoshi's Island, and that looked great.

Instro

2D Mario strikes me as a prime opportunity for a GaaS type release, particularly with Mario Maker already being a thing. Essentially using Mario Maker as the foundation of a long term digital content service wherein Nintendo regularly offers new content packs, containing new levels/worlds, new artstyles, new characters, etc., all of which would be integrated into the user creation engine, and driven further from there.

I totally agree, but this take is pretty damn old/stale at this point

No offense meant, OP

Especially if this isn't the first time you've said this

pswii60

Whats good for Wario, is good for Mario.

tumblr_m295jjf9tb1qb1m9to1_500.gif

tumblr_lrj84iBQqC1qk26dzo1_500.gif

DBJYi6x.gif

This is tolerable.

I hate the look of NSMB. But I also hate the Flash-game vector graphics aesthetics of so many non-pixel art 2D indie platformers, and I fear Nintendo going down that route would just make a game that looks like it belongs in that category, a bit generic.

I'd like the Sonic Mania route, but with twice the resolution on the pixel art.

I also feel like the gameplay can take a hit when you move away from pixel art, especially for a twitch platformer. You want perfect collision detection.

EDIT: Of course we're all assuming Nintendo is working on another 2D Mario platformer, it might not even be on their radar. With Super Mario Run having the NSMB aesthetics (and assets), they'll want to make Switch games to visibly differentiate.

oti

Banned
I really hope Nintendo is taking a good look at Cuphead. Sparking some much-needed ambition in the 2D Mario graphics department. The NSMB art style won't cut it anymore.

Sure, as long as the art doesn't prevent them from making tons of gameplay ideas (if not then, I think they'd probably go in the direction of Super Mario Brothers 2 JP and reuse assets often with higher difficulty), I certainly would not mind that level of presentation.

I would imagine as a result, that much of the work going into such high-quality 2D animation would have to be outsourced like Warioland Shake It!. The question then is whether Nintendo would allow that for an internal developer.

Might just be me but I really don't think any of these look good. First one looks like a fan-made online Mario game and the rest are way too artsy or just plain ugly.

Not saying that a drawing-styled Mario game wouldn't work - they already used this idea back in 1995 with Yoshi's Island, and that looked great.

You're not alone, those all look terrible.

Bumhead

Banned
- Oddyssey
- Mario Maker 2
- Galaxy 1 & 2 HD Collection
- Totally new 2D Mario in this art style/any art style bar NSMBU

I think that would represent a really special generation of Mario games for Switch, and I don't think it's particularly unrealistic either.

Peltz

I made a thread a few months ago based on this style of artwork. There are a ton of great images in there including everything already posted above.

It would be great and would please both the longtime fans and a larger audience (since this kind of art is still heavily used in promotional materials). Just do it Nintendo, please?

I am not looking forward to Gaf's reaction when the next NSMB is revealed and I am certainly not looking forward to Gaf's reaction when that game makes a bigger impact than Cuphead or whatever greatest looking 2D game of all time is.

Kurt

They should do something like donkey kong freeze. But within a mario world art. But also a bit more 3d like bloodstained.

Kotabe's artstyle is the best, it was never rendered in-game though, i always envisioned it in a cartoon or manga.

Changing the visuals would probably go a long way, I'm not touching a 2D Mario that looks like the New series not in a thousand years. I don't recall buying a single one full price or even at a discount, I think I got the 3DS one through Club Nintendo for "free" with a friend's code and the NSMBU one came with the console (and I couldn't sell because no one wanted it).

how much do you want for it? Ill get it if its well priced with shipping.

hiredhand

They should do something like donkey kong freeze. But within a mario world art. But also a bit more 3d like bloodstained.
This. The biggest problem with the New series isn't that it's 3D. It's that it's bland 3D.

It's weird that pretty much all the other Nintendo side scrollers look much better than their supposed flagship title.

Mael

I'm surprised no one has mentioned these official animated artwork, present in Mario Kart 8.

MK8-Line-Mario-Drift.gif

MK8-Line-Mario-Kart.gif

MK8-Line-Mario-Sleep.gif

MK8-Line-Mario-Lakitu.gif

I'd love to see game made out of this.

These are the only gifs that look good imo.
I'm ok with NSMB style though.
It's a little too clean at times but it can be rather beautiful and makes for some really awesome gameplay
QCF-ART-NSMBU-3.png

What they did with Mario Maker for NSMBU wasn't great though :/
I guess the lack of slopes really did that style no favor...

Top Bottom