• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's next platform will run Android. Here's why.

MaulerX

Wasn't there a report yesterday stating that Microsoft is working on a ROM that would allow people to flash their Android devices and turn them into Windows 10 devices? Even if it's heavily forked, why would Nintendo even remotely want to chance or risk such a scenario?

Tadaima

Let me direct you to the title: "Nintendo's next platform will run Android." + some buzzfeed bullshit on the end.

If you start "discussions" this way you will always get resistance. This is a very heavy-handed thread claiming your stab in the dark is closer than any other stab in the dark.

The first step is to have evidence behind your assertions.

As it sits now, this thread jumped to the top of my "worst threads of 2014 list" pretty much based on your approach.

Next time present your opinions as opinions and don't expect the burden of disproving your opinions to be placed on your audience. The burden of proof is on you when you said Nintendo's next platform will run Android.

Somebody has never been to a debate before, it seems. The title is a typical debate topic. I added the "Here's why" part to make it blindingly obvious that it was an assertion.

There is some good discussion getting going, though, so let's bring our attention to that and ignore the discussion-halting responses such as GIF replies and whatnot.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So far, all I see is:
1. People laughing at the idea;
2. People pointing to piracy as the only reason Android will not be adopted.

Adoption of Android does not = piracy. As has been mentioned, it can be locked down. Nintendo is getting much better at that.

I listed off six good reasons why Android makes business sense for Nintendo. I am yet to see a reason why it does not.

Then you are clearly ignoring the other posts in the thread.

I have seen:
  • Piracy
  • Stability
  • Loss of control
  • Doesn't follow historical trends
  • Hinders performance
I picked all those up just by skimming. I could get more by actually reading in depth.

RM8

Android can not be locked down. Any device released on android has been shattered open and allowed sidelining of apps and games and eventual custom rom installation.
Iwata: How did people find MarioGalaxy3.apk? I hid it inside many confusing folders :0

BTW OP, that you don't own an Android device makes more sense than you owning one.

WolvenOne

For someone unfamiliar with Android and only going with what I see online, wouldn't this make it easily susceptible for hacking/piracy?

Edit: Apparently it would.

It'd need to be modified and locked down, which is certainly doable but would take work. Frankly though, yeah, if Nintendo doesn't use Android, this would be the reason why.

Conversely though, the ease of porting and how cheap it would be to utilize the OS should still make it attractive. Again though, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Memory

I don't know why everyone is assuming a Nintendo home console is coming before a new handheld.

Even if the NX is announced as a home console first i'm assuming we will see a handheld before its released. I totally expect said handheld to play the the smart phone games in addition to downscaled Wii U games.

That's if the NX isn't a hybrid like everyone wants it to be, not sure how it would work from a technology view point though. Its would have to be a weak home console or a handheld with low battery life. But i'm not techy so maybe its possible on the kind of budget Nintendo normally has for its devices.

Not to mention they would beholden to Google of all companies for software updates, stablitity(lol android) and overall vision for the software. This will just not happen, ever. Piracy is the number one reason but even if you somehow eliminated that it's still just a dumb idea. I mean, you read the quote in this thread, they want to take inspiration for their new platform from ios and android......not licence one of those platforms for their own hardware. It's all but confirmed they will NOT be using android. I'm out before this pointless thread spirals any further into stupidity.

orioto

Good Art™
That's cutting off a revenue stream, so unless their next console makes absolutely no money it isn't worth it.

I've had this debate in the past, and that's not true at all. Soft makes money, not hardware.

Take a simple exemple. Mario kart.

In proposition A, there is a WiiU, MK8 sells way less than the 7th.
Proposition b, no WiiU, MK8 is released on 3ds after MK7. it sells more, cause the park is bigger, more money to make.

You gonna tell me "but on 3ds they already had one so it wouldn't sell" which is super wrong. Cause there is one and only Nintendo fanbase, and Mario Kart fan base, not one on console and one on portable, and the rare people who will tell me "oh i'm a big fan of nitnendo but i never play their game on portable" well.. are have a weird appreciation of nintendo's game to begin with..

Nintendo next home platform:
• Plays dedicated Nintendo NX games
• Plays Nintendo smartphone games
• Backwards compatible with Wii U games
• Possibly also plays Nintendo 4DS games, akin to Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player, in order to bolster the console's library and not end up with another Wii U situation

Nintendo next handheld platform:
• Plays dedicated Nintendo 4DS games
• Plays Nintendo smartphone games
• Backwards compatible with Nintendo 3DS games

I don't think we're going to see a split in hardware/library any more.

I think one device will encompass home and mobile gaming.

RM8

I've had this debate in the past, and that's not true at all. Soft make money, not hardware.

Proposition b, no WiiU, MK8 is released on 3ds after MK7. it sells more, cause the park is bigger, more money to make.

You gonna tell me "but on 3ds they already had one so it wouldn't sell" which is super wrong. Cause there is one and only Nintendo fanbase, and Mario Kart fan base, not one on console and one on portable, and the rare people who will tell me "oh i'm a big fan of nitnendo but i never play their game on portable" well.. are have a weird appreciation of nintendo's game to begin with..
As a launch 3DS owner who loves MK7, I bought a WiiU literally because of MK8. Nintendo has always made money from selling hardware, it's just that for the first time ever, 3DS and WiiU started being sold at a loss. That won't happen next generation.

Roo

Like many have already stated, their next consoles won't run iOS/Android or any other OS that isn't theirs.

They used the Android/iOS example to let people know they're having a similar aproach with their own hardware instead of programming and coding games for every console with its unique OS every single time they release a new console.

Learning how a console's OS works takes precious time away from development teams. it should be considerably easier for them to develop games if they already know how the OS works.

Roto13

So far, all I see is:

So you've closed your eyes to all of the people pointing out that you're just making shit up.

mechphree

If they made their OS Android or heavily integrated with it good buyers anyone buying any games on it. Android is so highly breakable it's laughable. I don't see it being the preferred method over ios.

NeOak

Nintendo, "should," use a modified version of Android OS for their next major platform, because it's cheap, relatively stable, and would allow easy porting back and forth between mobile devices. But lets be real here, it's Nintendo. Nintendo has proven time and time again that they're perfectly willing to go it alone, and lending some IP out to a mobile game company doesn't necessarily change that.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if their next platform ran off a modified version of Android OS, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't either.

Relatively stable is not enough.

Android is shit in that regards compared to BSD. Sony went with FreeBSD because it is stable.

So far, all I see is:

Adoption of Android does not = piracy. As has been mentioned, it can be locked down. Nintendo is getting much better at that.

I listed off six good reasons why Android makes business sense for Nintendo. I am yet to see a reason why it does not.

People pointing out that you are making stuff up.

Android is not secure, and can be hacked up the wazoo.

Somebody has never been to a debate before, it seems. The title is a typical debate topic. I added the "Here's why" part to make it blindingly obvious that it was an assertion.

There is some good discussion getting going, though, so let's bring our attention to that and ignore the discussion-halting responses such as GIF replies and whatnot.

Debate? You state stuff as "fact" when it is just speculation and expect people to NOT call you out on that?

It'd need to be modified and locked down, which is certainly doable but would take work. Frankly though, yeah, if Nintendo doesn't use Android, this would be the reason why.

Conversely though, the ease of porting and how cheap it would be to utilize the OS should still make it attractive. Again though, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Not doable.

Darryl

Banned
I can see lines between handheld and home consoles blurred now that enough time has passed. The two could really benefit from running a lot of the same games. However, smartphones are incredibly different. These two markets shouldn't be interchangeable right now outside of the account system. Also, being able to take what currently exists on Android (apps) and putting it on their game console is dumb. People already have widely adopted smartphones and can already use those features.

The last thing console developers want is an operating system that is fundamentally tied to Java. You can do native (C/C++) development on Android, but even John Carmack has a hard time with it because it's super janky and not very well supported. But even with native code, you are still at the mercy of an operating system that is very unfriendly to the types of games console developers make (i.e. hardware intensive games). Take Super Mario 3D World, for example. Whether or not that game is pushing artistic or technical boundaries is another discussion, but for Nintendo to make a game of that visual quality at 720P/60FPS requires an operating system that more or less leaves you alone. Mobile platforms (iOS, Android), on the other hand, frequently take away control from any application that is running at any given time since they have to constantly reallocate hardware resources to other services running on the device.

Having said that, Nintendo could significantly modify Android to eliminate some of these problems and we still haven't seen many high-powered Android devices. So some of the memory allocation issues could be resolved if you're not running on a battery and don't have to deal with other applications that are always running (phone, messaging, etc.).

I should also mention that I'm not an Android developer so take all of that commentary with a sizable grain of salt.

Lunar15

I just don't get how there can be so much speculation out of a system codename that was hastily announced merely to remind shareholders that they were still making dedicated game systems.

Just chill, people. Android isn't out of the question, but highly debatable. I get the concept here, but I'm not sure why there's such a need to *prove* it at this point.

Tadaima

Then you are clearly ignoring the other posts in the thread.

I have seen:
  • Piracy
  • Stability
  • Loss of control
  • Doesn't follow historical trends
  • Hinders performance
I picked all those up just by skimming. I could get more by actually reading in depth.

Great! Then let's discuss those points, rather than critiquing the OP's presentation style.

I can't find a post about stability. But Android is better-supported than Nintendo's own OSes ever will be, so I think we can agree that Android as a starting point is much better than 0.

As for piracy, Nintendo has a lot of experience in this area. Rather than spending 3 - 5 years building their own OS and a fraction of that on security, they can fork Android and spend 3 - 5 years (or far less) on security. You can also build security into the hardware, although with digital becoming the norm, it is much less effective.

To get the most out of performance, Nintendo can optimise their fork. If we're going to talk about performance, perhaps we should look at Wii U and its horrendous performance.

"Doesn't follow historical trends" and "Loss of control" doesn't mean anything anymore. Nintendo is now developing for other platforms, didn't you hear?

defferoo

there are so many things wrong with this post.. i don't even... PS4 and Xbox One primarily use x86 chips, the ARM chips they have inside are just co-processors. Wii U and Wii both use ARM chips as security processors. Starting from the Game Boy Advance, Nintendo has been using ARM chips in their handhelds. so basically rumors about them using ARM has nothing to do with Android. I agree that they should use ARM for both handheld and console CPUs, but that's another matter entirely.

Them mentioning Android (and iOS) as inspiration does not mean they're going to use Android. I doubt Nintendo smartphone games will run on their dedicated systems. They've stated that they intend to keep the two things separate.

NeOak

Great! Then let's discuss those points, rather than critiquing the OP's presentation style.

I can't find a post about stability. But Android is better-supported than Nintendo's own OSes ever will be, so I think we can agree that Android as a starting point is much better than 0.

As for piracy, Nintendo has a lot of experience in this area. Rather than spending 3 - 5 years building their own OS and a fraction of that on security, they can fork Android and spend 3 - 5 years (or far less) on security. You can also build security into the hardware, although with digital becoming the norm, it is much less effective.

To get the most out of performance, Nintendo can optimise their fork. If we're going to talk about performance, perhaps we should look at Wii U and its horrendous performance.

"Doesn't follow historical trends" and "Loss of control" doesn't mean anything anymore. Nintendo is now developing for other platforms, didn't you hear?

Are you nuts? Why the fuck would Nintendo waste money on that when they can go for way more secure stuff like FreeBSD?

Everything on console models depends on having a closed ecosystem that keeps everyone using only approved content. Android will never be like that. Ever. It was built on Linux precisely because it was open.

Again: Tales from your ass.

RM8

I'm waiting for you to give me an example of an un-rootable Android device. Or for you to consider that Nintendo is good at fighting piracy -because- of their closed, propietary OS (starting this gen).

Tadaima

Are you nuts? Why the fuck would Nintendo waste money on that when they can go for way more secure stuff like FreeBSD?

Again: Tales from your ass.

Because of the reasons listed in the post... the most noteworthy of which is the fact that Nintendo is already developing for Android/iOS.

mrlion

NeOak

Because of the reasons listed in the post... the most noteworthy of which is the fact that Nintendo is already developing for Android/iOS.

You don't really know the difference between developing for the OS and developing an OS.

That is like saying that Apple is going to use Windows OS because they are developing the next iTunes release for Windows.

Nafai1123

Banned
If they were worried about piracy, couldn't they develop a multi-OS environment kinda like the XB1 with Android in there for mobile game compatibility? Or even just a heavily modified version of Android. Piracy is bad on Windows too but you don't see the same problem on XB1.

I could see it happening.

e9d.jpg

C'mon guys.

The Kindle line of products use a forked version of android. They've all been hacked.

Better yet, list one fork of android that hasn't been hacked...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Why? I don't see what's wrong with using an established OS and building on top of it. Hell, the PS4 runs on FreeBSD.
Does it?

The fact something uses technologies based on an established os ecosystem does not make it a specimen of the ecosystem.

Unless you insist OSX is also some form of BSD.

nynt9

It's not a "bluff." "All but confirmed" does not mean "confirmed" – it means that everything is in place in order for it to happen.

Here's a Yahoo Answers post with somebody else's explanation.

No. It means "very nearly". Here's a dictionary definition: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/all but

"very nearly confirmed" means they are about to officially confirm it. This is nowhere near confirmation as there is no factual basis for this.

TLOU:Remastered was all but confirmed before its official announcement. There is 0 reason to think this is a thing, and there are official statements contradicting the core premise of your idea.

Just stop. Desist.

Darryl

Banned

Like they're already being pretty radical historically by making smartphone games as it is. Now all their games are gonna become mobile-compatible. You think they're just gonna jump off the dead end.

Nanashrew

Banned
I've had this debate in the past, and that's not true at all. Soft make money, not hardware.

I believe Aquamarine broke the data down many times before on why a hybrid would be difficult because their hardware makes up nearly half their profits.

Top Bottom