• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's reviews at an all time low for the past 10 years

Did you really just use 'all time' in the same sentence as 'for the past 10 years'?

By making the distinction as your sole point, it gives the impression that a 10 year low is insignicant. It really, really, isn't.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but the past year has been surprising in it's softness. Nintendo needs to buckle down and deliver an amazing NX launch lineup.

End of generation spinoff time. They could obviously done better even with this factor, but you have to figure the big guns that get high meta scores like Metroid and 3D Mario are saved for the NX, and hopefully will be out next year.

TI82

Banned
By making the distinction as your sole point, it gives the impression that a 10 year low is insignicant. It really, really, isn't.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but the past year has been surprising in it's softness. Nintendo needs to buckle down and deliver an amazing NX launch lineup.

It's just people trying to derail and downplay this year. As a Nintendo fan I also agree that this year was low down but hopefully it's so the NX can be super good.

Jeremy

All to draw a large contrast in between now and their big comeback, right?!

My biggest problem is trying to determine whether or not I should continue buying games that won't go to the NX, even though that fear is all based on (sound) assumptions.

I remember when I told people at the end of X360 and PS3's life to expect to see a lot of the games, specifically GTA V, on their next console. They were adamant that I was wrong.

AntMurda

People always throw around "but NIntendo has the best first-party" - that just isn't necessarily true. SCE is the superior first-party publisher to a lot of the gaming world.

Chronoman

Banned
People always throw around "but NIntendo has the best first-party" - that just isn't necessarily true. SCE is the superior first-party publisher to a lot of the gaming world.

What part of the gaming world is that? I do not think anyone particularly thinks that.

Even Colin Moriarty and Greg Miller, big Sony fans would argue that Uncharted, Sonys biggest franchise, is stale, and has not changed at all since the first entry.

Nintendo definitely had a bad year. Chibi Robo looked like some bad licensed game from THQ 10 years ago. It is only going to get worse as they explore free to play and selling collectibles like Amiibos.

So many quotes but ill just answer here lol. When i consider goty i dont put my personal picks in there otherwise for me it would go
Splatoon
Mario maker
Teraway unfolded
Until dawn
Bloodborne
Etc
But i know for a fact two of those just not happening but I'll give Nintendo credit for having two amazing games on my list

What part of the gaming world is that? I do not think anyone particularly thinks that.

Even Colin Moriarty and Greg Miller, big Sony fans would argue that Uncharted, Sonys biggest franchise, is stale, and has not changed at all since the first entry.
Can we not? That's just going to make the thread go sour and you both know that

tbd

It'll be over 80 I suspect, not everyone is Kotaku. The Xenoblade Chronicles X review thread will be interesting.

I just hope people won't take those scores all too seriously again. They really don't mean anything with blatant as fuck moneyhatting going on or reviewers not even understanding or finishing the game they review, or in Triforce Heroes' case mostly playing it offline when it's an online game. When the 20th unpolished Assassin's Creed game still gets 10/10s and 9/10s I just refuse to even care about scores regarding my anticipated games.

sörine;186371288 said:
Average Scores 2015
Nintendo: 69.89 (27 games)
Sony: 76.06 (16 games)
Microsoft: 80.82 (11 games)

Unscored 2015 games:

Nintendo
amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits (Wii U)
EarthBound Beginnings (Wii U)
Flipnote Studio 3D (3DS)
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (3DS)
Nintendo Badge Arcade (3DS)
Nintendo Presents New Style Boutique 2: Fashion Forward (3DS)
Pokémon Shuffle (iOS)
Super Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (3DS)
Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U)

Sony
Beyond: Two Souls (PS4)
Fat Princess: Piece of Cake (Vita)
Hardware: Rivals (PS4)
Hustle Kings (PS4)
Helldivers (PS3)
Helldivers (Vita)
Journey: Collector's Edition (PS4)
MLB 15: The Show (PS3)
MLB 15: The Show (Vita)
Run Sackboy! Run! (Vita)

Microsoft
Happy Wars (One)
Halo: Spartan Assault (iOS)
Screamride (360)
Squid Hero for Kinect (One)
State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition (PC)

I have one and two more scored games for MS and Sony respectively but I may not know which are DLC etc. I'm counting the same game on different platforms though too.

Anyway, as someone asked before, the standard deviations I got for 2015 were:

Nintendo: 12.38
Microsoft: 9.26
Sony: 10.74

AntMurda

I'm not going to even list the great amount of varied games SCE releases. Especially with you dismissing a game millions of people love so easily.

I just hope people won't take those scores all too seriously again. They really don't mean anything with blatant as fuck moneyhatting going on or reviewers not even understanding or finishing the game they review, or in Triforce Heroes' case mostly playing it offline when it's an online game. When the 20th unpolished Assassin's Creed game still gets 10/10s and 9/10s I just refuse to even care about scores regarding my anticipated games.
This just reads like i dont like what my game got so I'll shit on another game. If a game is good it will get scored accordingly. Look at battlefront getting slammed cuz its light on content. Same way mario and amiibo festival did. Come on now

tbd

I'm not going to even list the great amount of varied games SCE releases. Especially with you dismissing a game millions of people love so easily.

Millions of people also love Two Broke Girls, though. I can absolutely understand him. It's a linear eight hours shooter with terrible controller aim.

Ridley327

As I've been pointed out, I don't think a case could be made for that being true this year. Bloodborne is obviously a big feather in their bonnet for the year, and Until Dawn is sure to be 2015's big sleeper hit, but other than that, you've got The Order: 1886, which was met with aggressive indifference on all fronts, and a whole lot of remasters, both at retail and digital. It's hardly the kind of lineup that dazzles, and with where GOTY talk has been going, having one big candidate for serious discussion in that regard is something that both Sony and Nintendo can have a stake in, even if Mario Maker isn't the most obvious choice with where trends have been in recent years.

Kudos for MS for being as aggressive as they were this year with their output, since it has been making a difference for their perception for gamers. Granted, having another MCC debacle on their hands would have been disastrous, but they've been going above and beyond in a lot of respects and it's nice to see that they're not willing to rest on their laurels.

Millions of people also love Two Broke Girls, though. I can absolutely understand him. It's a linear eight hours shooter with terrible controller aim.
Wow and i think it's time to go. Nintendo threads never stay about Nintendo when it seems like its negative news(its really notthey had a bad year get over it,move on and get hyped for 2016 regardless of the console)

maxcriden

I also want to say reviewers en masse have become bizarrely hard on platformers in general and not as into Nintendo games from what I've seen. I guess reviewers are just harder on games in general, but I get the sense there are fewer and fewer reviewers for major news outlets out there who are fans of the kind of games Nintendo generally makes, and that it undoubtedly going to color your review scores. I want fans of genres to be the ones reviewing not just Nintendo games but all kinds of games, FWIW.

With that said, hers are games from Nintendo that are worthy of higher scores than their metacritic averages:

Kirby
Yoshi
BOXBOY!
Stretchmo
Majora's Mask 3D
Splatoon, maybe, though it's tough to say without re-reviews following the content rollout
Triforce Heroes

I think all of these are absolutely superb games and I have to wonder just how much of them reviewers played through. I dony like the idea that reviews of games are so based on a limited window to (from what I can tell) hurriedly make your way through the main portion of a game, and I see this not just with Nintendo reviews but with many other reviews as well. I can say here on GAF impressions of all of these games have been overwhelmingly positive by those who played them.

Dragon

Banned

That's very reductionist. You can levy the same criticism against many of the franchises Nintendo has, including the 2D Marios. Which largely haven't changed since Super Mario 3.

NIGHT-

That's your opinion, and kind of a weird one but okay.

It seems to be a pretty common opinion on here, most people think LBP has a great level editior, but it's not worth investing into because the gameplay and physics are not good at all.

Which is exactly why this year was so "soft". The next year will be just as weak if not more, despite Zelda or StarFox. The NX development has been started, and they haven't got the resources to put more games on Wii U. They try, and we get Mario Tennis and Amiibo Festival. I suspect we will see some quality titles announced alongside the NX next E3.

JoeM86

Nintendo definitely had a bad year. Chibi Robo looked like some bad licensed game from THQ 10 years ago. It is only going to get worse as they explore free to play and selling collectibles like Amiibos.

Why? Not all games will be free to play and amiibo seldom lock major content behind them, usually just superfluous content or stuff that could not exist without amiibo.

Just because Chibi Robo was iffy does not mean all their content is going to be like this. Consider the games developed by Nintendo themselves. Not a stinker among them (amiibo Festival was ND Cube as leads).

maxcriden

It might not have looked great in screens online, but most 3DS games don't (look at how LBW screens were received), and most in the OT had a great time with it.

Which is exactly why this year was so "soft". The next year will be just as weak if not more, despite Zelda or StarFox. The NX development has been started, and they haven't got the resources to put more games on Wii U. They try, and we get Mario Tennis and Amiibo Festival. I suspect we will see some quality titles announced alongside the NX next E3.

There's a list of planned games for next year that have a lot of potential tial for high review scores, though, and if we get NX next Fall, hopefully a bevy of quality releases releases alongside it.

Hugstable

Banned
I also want to say reviewers en masse have become bizarrely hard on platformers in general and not as into Nintendo games from what I've seen. I guess reviewers are just harder on games in general, but I get the sense there are fewer and fewer reviewers for major news outlets out there who are fans of the kind of games Nintendo generally makes, and that it undoubtedly going to color your review scores. I want fans of genres to be the ones reviewing not just Nintendo games but all kinds of games, FWIW.

With that said, hers are games from Nintendo that are worthy of higher scores than their metacritic averages:

Kirby
Yoshi
BOXBOY!
Stretchmo
Majora's Mask 3D
Splatoon, maybe, though it's tough to say without re-reviews following the content rollout
Triforce Heroes

I think all of these are absolutely superb games and I have to wonder just how much of them reviewers played through. I dony like the idea that reviews of games are so based on a limited window to (from what I can tell) hurriedly make your way through the main portion of a game, and I see this not just with Nintendo reviews but with many other reviews as well. I can say here on GAF impressions of all of these games have been overwhelmingly positive by those who played them.

Oh wow, just looked up BoxBoy! and that seemed to get a 40 score from EGM. I'm gonna read that review now, cause I'm now wondering what game they played lol. Boxboy! was a huge surprise for me, especially considering how much enjoyable content that little game had for 5$

Ansatz

Can you guys give some concrete examples of what these quality NX titles might be? If you look at each development studio that makes games for Nintendo, which of those could realistically be ready with a big, expansive AAA title for NX launch window?

maxcriden

Oh wow, just looked up BoxBoy! and that seemed to get a 40 score from EGM. I'm gonna read that review now, cause I'm now wondering what game they played lol. Boxboy! was a huge surprise for me, especially considering how much enjoyable content that little game had for 5$

The idea that a game like BOXBOY! could get a 4/10 from someone baffles me...but nowhere near as much as a score like that for Kirby or Yoshi, which is the utmost in befuddlement. 😵😵😵

Can you guys give some concrete examples of what these quality NX titles might be? If you look at each development studio that makes games for Nintendo, which of those could realistically be ready with a big, expansive AAA title for NX launch window?

Happily, yes. I'd love to.

Zelda Wii U/NX
Pikmin 4
New Retro Studios title
New mainline EAD Mario (and new smaller game from this team)
New Monster Games title or port
New Kirby
New mainline console Paper Mario
New game by MK8 team
New game by Animal Crossing team
new Pokémon entry (but I expect this will be Pokémon Z for 3DS)

tbd

Wow and i think it's time to go. Nintendo threads never stay about Nintendo when it seems like its negative news(its really notthey had a bad year get over it,move on and get hyped for 2016 regardless of the console)

People, including me, just replied, though. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=186371828&postcount=311 Tell this guy.

That's very reductionist. You can levy the same criticism against many of the franchises Nintendo has, including the 2D Marios. Which largely haven't changed since Super Mario 3.

I wasn't arguing which franchise stagnates and which doesn't, you should reply to the other guy. I just said I can understand people that don't like Uncharted.

DR2K

Banned
A bit of both. Reviewers are becoming harsher as the days pass by so mediocrity, bs excuses, poor game design, false advertisement, padding and etc, doesn't get a pass like it used to back in the days. Nintendo's output this year, bar a few has been very poor as well. You can blame that on the transitional phase to NX, but given the general output of Nintendo games on Wii U this generation, its been pretty slow.

Expect an increase next year though, given the likelihood of better game releases. It's been pretty obvious the B-teams were getting their launches out of the way this year.

Best wishes.

Unless it's a Bethesda game.

Sin and Punishment 2, Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Epic Yarn, Dragon Quest IX, HeartGold SoulSilver

People also forget that, though Metroid: Other M was released this year, it wasn't reviewed as poorly as people think it was.

I really don't see Xenoblade X having a 90 metacritic rating.

He noted that already in the OP.

It'll be over 80 I suspect, not everyone is Kotaku. The Xenoblade Chronicles X review thread will be interesting.

This is what I'm expecting as well. Import impressions were mixed, but the latest impressions in the west from people actually reviewing the game have been glowing.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Some of you are totally incapable of discussing the merits of games without bringing down other games. Mario and Uncharted are both very different series, yet here we are trying to draw illogical comparisons. Let's not delude ourselves into thinking that Mario is perfect. All games have faults, but at least be able to name the strengths of your game without shitting on another. That shit is annoying.

Dragon

Banned
I wasn't arguing which franchise stagnates and which doesn't, you should reply to the other guy. I just said I can understand people that don't like Uncharted.

No you weren't, because it appears you realize that it's a silly argument either way. Let me put it this way, why is Uncharted and Microsoft franchises coming up in this thread? There's a reason for it, I think most Nintendo fans would say this year is poor with only two or three notable games. Which is definitely less than what they're used to.

Some of you are totally incapable of discussing the merits of games without bringing down other games. Mario and Uncharted are both very different series, yet here we are trying to draw illogical comparisons. Let's not delude ourselves into thinking that Mario is perfect. All games have faults, but at least be able to name the strengths of your game without shitting on another. That shit is annoying.
Pretty muc this is what every Nintendo thread turns into. Instead of talking about what can get better next year, what people expect etc it's danced around and the focus is shifted to sony or Microsoft

NotLiquid

Let's be generous and assume for a moment that Star Fox Zero and Zelda Wii U end up scoring frequent 9s/10s, however let's also assume that the those two games, along with the only other announced games so far such as Pokkén and Twilight Princess HD, will be the only games on the Wii U released in 2016 by Nintendo.

That would still most likely result in a higher average ranking than 2015 which saw a more frequent output of titles like Splatoon, Yoshi, Super Mario Maker, Xenoblade X and Kirby, most of which have been considered to be great (decent at worst) titles, but thing is if that would happen I'd still say that potential 2016 scoring doesn't constitute Nintendo necessarily having a better year when you get down to it. 2011 has a fairly good/average ranking for Nintendo but that's a ranking only buoyed by three games that came out only during the tail end of that year. Did that end up justifying the entire year long drought though?

10 years isn't really what's insignificant. The statistic itself on the other hand kind of is.

casiopao

I probably got the best case scenario with Rayman. Playing it with a younger person who actually enjoys the pointless touch screen/gyro stuff, asI never had to deal with it, and just got to enjoy the strong platforming side.

I know yoshi looks amazing, I certainly wouldn't disagree there, but the collectables crap which is at the core of the game is something fundamental to the game. A few things is OK, but they always go too far for my liking in Yoshi games.

Well... for 3DS the only Nintendo published game I bought this entire year, played enough and enjoyed was Majoras Mask, which was great. Now, I'm expecting Triforce heroes as a christmas present, and Mario & Luigi is out soon, which is probably going to be solid. But so far, again, the only Nintendo published game I can recommend so far is Majora, which is a port of an old N64 game. I got codename steam during one of the bargain bin sales but then never touched it. And I can't actually think of another Nintendo published 3DS game from this year, so even if I'm missing something, I guess I didn't enjoy it.

But that is not what we are discussing here. Yeah, maybe for 3DS the game publish may not be for your taste but it does not mean some those game are bad. BoxBoy is nice platformer. Strectmo is another nice small puzzle game and of course Monster Hunter is easily GOTY quality kind of game.

Many other 3DS game is still worth a mention here which i feel sadly overshadowed by the bad performance on Wii U front.

sörine

Banned
Very nice, those four really poor games did drag Nintendo down low.
Nintendo's larger publishing slate probably also brought them down some, they're trying to hold up two platforms almost single handedly so there's going to be stuff they may not have otherwise bothered publishing that drags down the average (ie: Devil's Third). I mean Nintendo has as many scored games as Sony & MS combined. And remasters greatly helped Sony's average comparatively.

By some other metrics:

2015 Average by original games only
Nintendo: 68.48 (25 games)
Sony: 71.62 (8 games)
Microsoft: 83.60 (5 games)

2015 Average by 1st party developed games only
Nintendo: 71.45 (11 games)
Sony: 80.50 (2 games)
Microsoft: 81.33 (6 games)

maxcriden

I don't think it is unreasonable to bring up Sony and Microsoft in a thread about Nintendo's poorer-than-usual Metacritic scores. They are the other two first parties out there, so comparison is only natural.

bart64

Banned
Yoshi was great and aside from this year the wii u has lots of awesome games. I've noticed that reviewers have been short changing nintendo a lot lately and I bet it has something to do with their lack of advertising spending. Not trying to be a one-sided fanboy, just makes objective sense to me. That said, zelda will probably make a big dent.

Top Bottom