• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's reviews at an all time low for the past 10 years

This is Nintendo's worst year I could remember 1st party wise: Lazy, rushed and sometimes unambitious.

Good thing Xeno X, which has the potential to be my GOTY, is coming in 2 weeks.

tbd

Not sure why this thread is needed. It's like saying "the sky is blue" to me. Wii U bombed, they have to fill a lot of void all by themselves.

Not to mention that we shouldn't take scores seriously.

goldenpp72

This whole topic comes off as pointless somehow. Nintendo shit out a few stinkers that drastically lowered their average, but in the end you have a year on console that will result in the release of Mario Maker, Splatoon, X Chronicles and Yoshi.

Reading the OP replies in this thread, you really should just quit Nintendo if you think Littlebigplanet is overall superior to Mario Maker. Littlebigplanet as a game couldn't even breath in the fart of Mario Maker and I say this as someone who owns both. LBP is more robust as a maker but MM has a much more intuitive one due to the pad and of course, is a Mario game which absolutely bends over LBP as a game.

Also Yoshi very much is worth full price, it has enough to do and find and the production values are among the highest of the gen with an excellent sound track and visual presentation. Overall though, this year is pretty weak due to Nintendo losing both Zelda and Star Fox, nonetheless this topic feels petty in its intent.

Chronoman

Banned
Their better games got dragged down by stuff like Amiibo festival and Ultra Smash. It was by no means a bad year if all you really wanted to do was play their bigger published titles which is what most do.

I mean say what you want about the gaf hardcore but their wasn't a huge line of people playing fluidity in 2010 and there is not a huge line of people trying to play Stretchmo in 2015

Agreed. People just over react.

Oh, it doesn't really matter why they are the way they are. I also don't really care about the technical background of why their platforming game has bad platforming controls. The bad controls are what makes me give up on LBP games far quicker then I've given up on Mario Maker. Even a lot of the well made LBP levels are frustrating to play because of the poor controls.

I understand people really like LBP for whatever reason but it is in no way shape or form a better level editor or a better platformer than mario maker. Like at all.

Somnid

Interesting. Output is on the lower side which also illustrates what we already know and the main holiday titles were rushed (theses are usually the 9-10 games in most years). And while perhaps not intended the same way they did label this a year of change, and a year of change it was in many ways.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Let's try to ignore how "all time" and "past 10 years" in the same phrase is tabloid-level sensationalism, or how 10 years mean different outlets, reviewers, thus it's not so reliable for comparisons across long periods. Let's focus on this year's output.

This has been one of the lower years for Nintendo, I don't think anyone can deny that. It's a year where Nintendo released way too many spin-offs in a short amount of time, with some of them being games of poor quality (Amiibo Party and Mario Tennis: Ultra Light as posterchilds), and a lower amount of bigger titles, which creates a context that enhances the amount of spin-offs (especially for the Holidays). It's also a year where they released titles like Splatoon (which is still evolving), Mario Maker, S.T.E.A.M., Majora's Mask 3D, Xenoblade 3D, Yoshi, Xenoblade is coming. Plus, continued quality support for Mario Kart and Smash Bros (not including expansions in comparisons of mere games' output, just saying that these were other kind of developments Nintendo worked on, and is still working on, this year). So, we had good, if not great games, but they were less than other years, while titles with lower quality were more.

Still, bad releases like Amiibo Festival or Mario Tennis can't be excused by Nintendo focusing almost completely on NX internally: it's a known factor that influenced this year's releases, but those two games (especially Mario Tennis' lightness, from a certain point of view) are plain bad even when considering resources elsewhere.

Chronoman

Banned
Let's try to ignore how "all time" and "past 10 years" in the same phrase is tabloid-level sensationalism, or how 10 years mean different outlets, reviewers, thus it's not so reliable for comparisons across long periods. Let's focus on this year's output.

This has been one of the lower years for Nintendo, I don't think anyone can deny that. It's a year where Nintendo released way too many spin-offs in a short amount of time, with some of them being games of poor quality (Amiibo Party and Mario Tennis: Ultra Light as posterchilds), and a lower amount of bigger titles, which creates a context that enhances the amount of spin-offs (especially for the Holidays). It's also a year where they released titles like Splatoon (which is still evolving), Mario Maker, S.T.E.A.M., Majora's Mask 3D, Xenoblade 3D, Yoshi, Xenoblade is coming. Plus, continued quality support for Mario Kart and Smash Bros (not including expansions in comparisons of mere games' output, just saying that these were other kind of developments Nintendo worked on, and is still working on, this year). So, we had good, if not great games, but they were less than other years, while titles with lower quality were more.

Still, bad releases like Amiibo Festival or Mario Tennis can't be excused by Nintendo focusing almost completely on NX internally: it's a known factor that influenced this year's releases, but those two games (especially Mario Tennis' lightness, from a certain point of view) are plain bad even when considering resources elsewhere.

This is exactly what I said, just worded better

Oersted

1. all time low and past 10 years in one sentence

2. 2015 not over yet

3. There is a 3 % difference between 69 and 72 %

4. It is published by Nintendo , which includes Devils Third

If I wouldn't know your opinion about Nintendo, I would wonder why this thread exists

zelas

Yet they still had the best first party output of any of the big three console makers this year.
People sure love playing up the importance of first party. Most people make first party only comparisons when a platform has all of the other bases covered. And last I checked console hardware sales made it pretty obvious that Nintendo's first party output isn't good enough to make up for, or make most people overlook, its flaws (particularly library).

The quality of their first party output is more relevant than Sony and MS because there is hardly anything else worthwhile that has wide appeal. So when Nintendo is dropping the ball and there's nothing else to turn to, that's kind of a problem.

It's a meaningless statistic. 2007 had Mario Galaxy (97), Metroid Prime 3 (90) and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (90), and the average is still 74. It's the large quantity of spin-offs and minor games that makes the difference.

61 Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
40 Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival
60 Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash
44 Devil's Third
56 Pokémon Rumble World
56 Pokémon Shuffle

There's a reason why they're doing remakes, games that use old assets and cheap spin-offs on Wii U and 3DS, and that's not because they magically lost their ability to make great games in less than a year like some people love to suggest.

"Neogaf user Rodin confirms Metroid Prime 4, F-Zero, Super Mario Brothers 4, Pokemon Online, Earthbound Re-born and Advance Wars for NX"

/IGN

Dear god I want all of this to be true, take me Nintendo, I'm yours

People sure love playing up the importance of first party. Most people make first party only comparisons when a platform has all of the other bases covered. And last I checked console hardware sales made it pretty obvious that Nintendo's first party output isn't good enough to make up for, or make most people overlook, its flaws (particularly library).

The quality of their first party output is more relevant than Sony and MS because there is hardly anything else worthwhile that has wide appeal. So when Nintendo is dropping the ball and there's nothing else to turn to, that's kind of a problem.

But its a thread about publisher output not console library. We're talking 3DS in here too.

We are talking about publishing. Third or first party is irrelevant to whether you had a good or poor publishing year. MS, Warner, EA, Sony, Ubisoft, SE etc are all fair game for comparison in this case. There is no need for people to play it off as console wars.

This whole topic comes off as petty somehow. Nintendo shit out a few stinkers that drastically lowered their average, but in the end you have a year on console that will result in the release of Mario Maker, Splatoon, X Chronicles and Yoshi.

I think it's a little telling if we have got to the point where Wooly world has to be counted as a stand out example of the best nintendo has.

Mario Maker and Splatoon are the only games I can point at and say "If you own a wii u, I think most people should own these games". Sad fact is, despite buying nearly everything I feel worth my time, I'm at...
I want to say only 4 retail titles on wii u this year. Fatal Frame 5, Mario Maker, Splatoon and Kirby. And I don't really think FF5 or Kirby are things I can recommend. I'll be getting Xenoblade X on launch, but I'm also not convinced that'll have the same impact for me as the first due to a number of design choices (I hate character creators, for one thing, preferring a well defined standard design, ala shulk, vyse, or geralt as examples).

It's absolutely been a weak year for Nintendo, but we didn't need review numbers to tell us that.

Rodin

"Neogaf user Rodin confirms Metroid Prime 4, F-Zero, Super Mario Brothers 4, Pokemon Online, Earthbound Re-born and Advance Wars for NX"

/IGN

Dear god I want all of this to be true, take me Nintendo, I'm yours

Hahahahaha i'm crying over here

Is this how GAF-->internet-->GAF thread are born? XD

I think it's a little telling if we have got to the point where Wooly world has to be counted as a stand out example of the best nintendo has.
Why? It's a great game.

Mario Maker and Splatoon are the only games I can point at and say "If you own a wii u, I think most people should own these games". Sad fact is, despite buying nearly everything I feel worth my time, I'm at...
I want to say only 4 retail titles on wii u this year. Fatal Frame 5, Mario Maker, Splatoon and Kirby. And I don't really think FF5 or Kirby are things I can recommend. I'll be getting Xenoblade X on launch, but I'm also not convinced that'll have the same impact for me as the first due to a number of design choices (I hate character creators, for one thing, preferring a well defined standard design, ala shulk, vyse, or geralt as examples).

It's absolutely been a weak year for Nintendo, but we didn't need review numbers to tell us that.

Woolly World is a great game :/
Its player reception has been exceptional :/

The hyperbole's are strong in this thread.

That wasn't hyperbole. Little Big Planet has the most un-fun platforming I've ever seen in a game. Floaty, janky, hardly worth playing if it weren't for some of the genuinely imaginative levels some players have made in it.

Mario Maker, on the other hand, is superb.

I am not so sure about Nintendo preparing for the next console that is why they have not released many games this year. It reminds me of the WiiU where people said the same thing, yet Nintendo was too slow in releasing games for their new console.

Nintendo financed the publishings of those games, even helped with the first Layton to make it a success. You are splitting hairs. Sony had NOTHING to do with the dev of Bloodborne whatsoever. Xenoblade X looks better than Bloodborne does from an artistic standpoint. That is what most reviewers are saying anyway. The most beautiful world of the year.

"The only reason Splatoon didn't go under is because it had to hold an entire platform by itself." So why did Splatoon sell when Kirby did not? You make no sense. People like you try to do everything to downplay any Nintendo success.
Without Sony there would not be bloodborne. Sony had everything to do with the game. Discounting the fact that Sony fully financed and helped develop the game is misleading and delusional.

Macka

Also, stop including HHD in the apparent year end rushed titles. Game is great.
Eh, just because it turned out okay (for what it is) doesn't mean it wasn't rushed. I'd argue that the only reason it was made at all is because they already had the assets from New Leaf and needed some easily-made games to pad out the release schedule.

Do you even understand the point of the thread you're in right now? This is a thread about Nintendo's first party output. It is only natural in a thread about that, to compare their output to their competitions first party output.

If this thread was about the average score of every Wii U game that came out this year, then I may see your point about it being weird that I'm comparing first party outputs between companies. I'm not "Playing up the importance" of first party. I'm drawing the most obvious parallel based on the threads core concept.

If anything, you're the weird one for trying to bring third party support in a thread that is obviously dedicated to criticizing Nintendo's "Poor" first party output this year. This isn't a thread about the Wii U's overall game library. It's very clearly one about Nintendo made games. So it makes little to no sense to bring in third party support into the comparison.

Chronoman

Banned
Next year is looking to be one of Nintendo's strongest publish years ever with

2 Zelda games
Star Fox
2 DQ games
Bravely Second
Pokken
SMTxFE
Fire Emblem
Hyrule Legends

and more, so what does it really matter if they had a single off year in 10 years?

goldenpp72

Out of curiosity what to you makes Yoshi a lackluster game not worthy of being mentioned? It's second only to the Snes original from my experience with it so far, but easily the only entry in the series to even come within spitting distance of that. It has been a weak year though, I imagine Nintendo is just trying to hold back more significant releases for hardware that isn't already in the grave, which from a consumer aspect who actually owns the system is pretty crappy but makes sense.

Last thing I'll say about Little Big Planet to Mario Maker comparisons.

Reggie wishes it was on Nintendo systems
http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-boss-wants-littlebigplanet/

Producer and Director of Mario Maker both have played and enjoyed Little Big Planet
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...r-prefix-mario-paint-and-littlebigplanet.aspx

Something being good doesn't suddenly make it as good or better than something else. I don't think anyone has argued that LBP is overall a bad game, it has a very cute art design/production values and the maker aspect of it is excellent. The problem is that the content you can create for it is not the kind of content that would typically be considered great on its own. If you removed the creation side of LBP the game would fall apart much like Minecraft, where as with Mario maker you get the fundamentals of AAA Mario gameplay but the ability to create it too.

I'd dare anyone to find a video of the best Mario gameplay and then put it side to side to anything in LBP and then say yep, LBP sure is better to play.

Next year is looking to be one of Nintendo's strongest publish years ever with

2 Zelda games
Star Fox
2 DQ games
Bravely Second
Pokken
SMTxFE
Fire Emblem
Hyrule Legends

and more, so what does it really matter if they had a single off year in 10 years?

It doesn't. The point being also that compared to other peers in the industry a down year for Nintendo is still a good year for most publishers.

I knew I shouldn't have bought all these games and enjoyed playing them... damn I feel dirty :/

Scores are dumb anyway but if there's anything we could try to look as a learning it's maybe that they tried making more games than they could handle to compensate the lack of 3rd party support... something they can't make alone.

Producer and Director of Mario Maker both have played and enjoyed Little Big Planet
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...r-prefix-mario-paint-and-littlebigplanet.aspx
Neither of these changes anything said by anyone in this thread about LBP. It doesn't suddenly not have floaty controls because Reggie likes it. I played and enjoyed LBP, but that doesn't change the fact that it has problems.

You are very poor at debating and making your point.

Servbot24

Banned
This isn't very interesting. Everyone knows this has been a shit year, and everyone knows it's because NX is incoming.

Ummm, of course Reggie wants critically acclaimed games on his console, and of course someone who is making a design game has tried the most popular design game ever on consoles short of Minecraft. Next it will be "breaking news! The maker of Destiny has played a Call of Duty game before! :O".

I realize this post comes off as snobby, I just genuinely don't see any merit here.

Why? It's a great game.

Woolly World is a great game :/
Its player reception has been exceptional :/

To be blunt: I've never liked the yoshi games. I don't understand what people see in it, the collectathon+2D combination doesn't work for me. I think it's an average game at best, and the scores which typically end up at about 75+-5 are about right.
The real problem I had was, as far as I could see, it was giving me the impression that it was not doing anything that I don't think mario/dk/rayman had already done better on wii u.

You've convinced me. The links you've provided have erased from my memory the bad platforming mechanics that plague the LBP series. Thank you.

I enjoyed LBP, too, for what it's worth. But a half-decent platformer it is certainly not.

Chronoman

Banned
It doesn't. The point being also that compared to other peers in the industry a down year for Nintendo is still a good year for most publishers.

Compared to Sony and Microsoft, Nintnedo killed them from a publisher standpoint again this year. Pretty much every year for the last 5+ years.

goldenpp72

To be blunt: I've never liked the yoshi games. I don't understand what people see in it, the collectathon+2D combination doesn't work for me. I think it's an average game at best, and the scores which typically end up at about 75+-5 are about right.
It's not doing anything that I don't think mario/dk/rayman have already done better on wii u.

I'd say this depends on what we're talking about, the NSMB series isn't really well produced in comparison to Yoshi (in that the art/music design absolutely obliterate NSMB) but Mario 3D World is fantastic, as is DK but the graphics in that are also mediocre. Obviously graphics are only a piece of the puzzle but a lot of Nintendo games this gen felt half baked in the overall budget sense, it's nice that Yoshi does not feel this way.

For Rayman.. Legends wasn't very good in comparison to Yoshi i'd say, Yoshi is easily an 8 or greater game if you actually enjoy the design it's going for, you can tell a lot of love and thought went into the game and the co op is really fun most of the time.

Rayman Origins was great though, but legends is way too gimmicky to hold a candle against Yoshi overall imo, but different strokes as in the end all of them are good.

The real problem I had was, as far as I could see, it was giving me the impression that it was not doing anything that I don't think mario/dk/rayman had already done better on wii u.

Oh so you just dont like yoshi. That's fine. But frankly if you ever played yoshi's island for example its a better platformer than 90% of stuff ever released even if you dont collect things. I also don't really even put the Woolly World in the collectathon category. You dont have to collect anything and like the original game there is only 2 other things in the levels, flowers and red coins/stamps.

Tropical freeze reviewed at 83, Woolly World as 78. The difference between these games aint as big as you are suggesting (I prefer Woolly World personally). Its fine if you don't like it but you're overblowing the quality drop vs the other 2D platformers on the system.

Edit: I forgot wonder wool. Optional as well. But the skins you get are so darn cute.

Servbot24

Banned

Most individual publishers, sure. But people who play primarily PS or XB get to play the combined efforts of many different publishers, rather than just one. Nintendo essentially needs to make better games than Naughty Dog, From, Bungie, CDPR, Kojima, Bethesda, Blizzard, etc combined, and they need to do it all by themselves (they have gotten a bit of help from Platinum this gen too). No matter how great they are, that's just not possible.

Most years Nintendo deserves a lot of credit (not this year though), but credit only gets you so far.

Sin and Punishment 2, Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Epic Yarn, Dragon Quest IX, HeartGold SoulSilver

some real good games

Level maker less robust than Little Big Planet, Yoshi looks fun but not at full price, sequel to a DS game I hated and didn't review well, and remake of n64 game

I mean sure they are games but not games with much mass appeal other than Mario and even thats ehh

Yoshi is worth full price for sure. The game is my platformer of the year. More than enough content and really excellent level design. Game is top tier and your post shows that you really haven't even seen much of the game.

TI82

Banned
Yoshi is worth full price for sure. The game is my platformer of the year. More than enough content and really excellent level design. Game is top tier and your post shows that you really haven't even seen much of the game.

Probably depends on if you like platformers, as a whole I don't. Especially on the Wii U where there are a stupid amount of them.

Could you also list the standard deviation, OP?

If you did this in an excel spreadsheet it would be easy to do, I think the command is =STDEV(), or maybe STD(), can't remember.

casiopao

Since when is this relevant to what u are talking here???

Considering that many other developer have been using Super Mario Maker to develop stage like Shovel Knight developer and Rayman developer does it make the game some way better?

Umm. Why won't we count a game which is good? Wooly World is one of the best Yoshi game after quite some time, Not only it is rewarding to collect things, it also had difficulties to back up the game.

And you counting only Wii U is already wrong here. After all, this thread is about Nintendo which means that we should also count 3DS there and there are quite a number of must own game there for sure.

Stretchmo, Box Boy, Majora Mask, Inazuma Eleven, LBX, Yokai Watch is all great game which people should give attention for sure.

Hell, one of the best game on 3DS which is Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate was published by Nintendo in EU so i can't see how Nintendo does not bring great game for us this year at all.

TI82

Banned
Could you also list the standard deviation, OP?

If you did this in an excel spreadsheet it would be easy to do, I think the command is =STDEV(), or maybe STD(), can't remember.

Alright did it for you, don't really do spreadsheets only did this for formatting.

STDev of titles per year: 5.125692858
Total score: 471.1272362
Average: 4.702300017

Top Bottom