• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's reviews at an all time low for the past 10 years

TI82

Banned
Sony has had a GOTY candidate drop every 3 months this year. The fact that they're not first parties (Bloodborne excluded) means literally nothing. Gotta come to terms with the fact that Nintendo has no desire to compete with Sony/MS anymore. It's Nintendo first party vs everyone else, and it's a very one sided battle right now. Hopefully NX encourages developers to start releasing some quality third party titles on Nintendo platforms again.

Don't bother, it's just classic thread derailing techniques. A thread about Nintendo having a poor year means they will try to deflect into Sony and Microsoft for some reason.

Sony has had a GOTY candidate drop every 3 months this year. The fact that they're not first parties (Bloodborne excluded) means literally nothing. Gotta come to terms with the fact that Nintendo has no desire to compete with Sony/MS anymore. It's Nintendo first party vs everyone else, and it's a very one sided battle right now. Hopefully NX encourages developers to start releasing some quality third party titles on Nintendo platforms again.

I misread your post. Ok.

I agree, it has been a weaker year firstparty wise. But let's not pretend there aren't any thirdparty games on the 3DS. Acting like Nintendo is the sole publisher that makes games for their systems and the rest doesn't count is just as arbitrary .

Chronoman

Banned
Yet they still had the best first party output of any of the big three console makers this year.

This is what it comes down too.

If you want to say they had the worst third party support, that is valid. But using numbers that amount to nothing to prove Nintendo's first party output has been bad is ridiculous.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not sure how you can compare review averages over the years. Different reviewers and outlets.

Ridley327

Whoa, pump the brakes there a bit. Wasn't the first Sony published title on the PS4 after Bloodborne the much-questioned port of God of War 3? The only non-port they've put out since Bloodborne has been Until Dawn, and The Order: 1886 sure as he'll isn't in the running for anything non-technical.

So because they published it, they made it? So Nintendo made all the Layton games, Bravely Second, the Dragon Quest games coming out next year? Did Nintendo make Yokai Watch? The biggest hit in Japan right now?

Xenoblade X is not out and reviewers are gushing over it. Who cares if it has the flaws of the first game if the overall package is amazing. No one would have given Splatoon that much attention? Do you hear yourself?

That is foolish.

Nintendo published these titles in select territories. Sony financed the development of Bloodborne and it easily shows in the graphical jump compared to DS alone. Maybe one of the best looking games I've ever played, love for detail at literally every corner.

Anyway, this year finally had next gen going crazy strong in both games released and announced. The only reason Splatoon didn't go under is because it had to hold an entire platform by itself. Arena shooters aren't that special, even a cartoony one. Not to mention that the title was released absolutely barebones. Maybe we can talk whenever they make a fullfledged sequel. ,,Being on WiiU" bonus isn't enough to make it a serious competition.

Chronoman

Banned
Nintendo published these titles in select territories. Sony financed the development of Bloodborne and it easily shows in the graphical jump compared to DS alone. Maybe one of the best looking games I've ever played, love for detail at literally every corner.

Anyway, this year finally had next gen going crazy strong in both games released and announced. The only reason Splatoon didn't go under is because it had to hold an entire platform by itself. Arena shooters aren't that special, even a cartoony one. Not to mention that the title was released absolutely barebones. Maybe we can talk whenever they make a fullfledged sequel.

Nintendo financed the publishings of those games, even helped with the first Layton to make it a success. You are splitting hairs. Sony had NOTHING to do with the dev of Bloodborne whatsoever. Xenoblade X looks better than Bloodborne does from an artistic standpoint. That is what most reviewers are saying anyway. The most beautiful world of the year.

"The only reason Splatoon didn't go under is because it had to hold an entire platform by itself." So why did Splatoon sell when Kirby did not? You make no sense. People like you try to do everything to downplay any Nintendo success.

-MB-

Don't bother, it's just classic thread derailing techniques. A thread about Nintendo having a poor year means they will try to deflect into Sony and Microsoft for some reason.

You should know, you are the expert at derailing threads, espescially the Nintendo themed ones.

Forkball

Amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis Wii U alone probably dragged down the scores. Those two look like two of the worst Nintendo games in a long time. We also got a lot of spinoffs this year which typically score lower than their main counterparts.

Splatoon and Mario Maker are among the best games this year, so it's not like the glory days of Nintendo development are behind us.

Chronoman

Banned
Amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis Wii U alone probably dragged down the scores. Those two look like two of the worst Nintendo games in a long time. We also got a lot of spinoffs this year which typically score lower than their main counterparts.

Splatoon and Mario Maker are among the best games this year, so it's not like the glory days of Nintendo development are behind us.

Considering most people made the argument that 2014 might have been one of Nintendo's strongest years ever.

Things like yoshi, kirby, STEAM, mario tennis and animal crossing amiibo party doesn't set the world on fire, and this year we had a lot of that kind of games from nintendo. However Splatoon, mario maker and majoras mask 3D are still amazing.

Nintendo financed the publishings of those games, even helped with the first Layton to make it a success. You are splitting hairs. Sony had NOTHING to do with the dev of Bloodborne whatsoever. Xenoblade X looks better than Bloodborne does from an artistic standpoint. That is what most reviewers are saying anyway. The most beautiful world of the year.

"The only reason Splatoon didn't go under is because it had to hold an entire platform by itself." So why did Splatoon sell when Kirby did not? You make no sense. People like you try to do everything to downplay any Nintendo success.

No need for comparison between xenoblade and bloodbourne here dude.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Remember when people raged about Devils Third not being published by Nintendo? Be careful what you wish for. That game alone will heavily sink the average.

Because one of the main ways to judge the quality of a company is to look at the competition of said company and see how they're doing as well? How do you not understand that as a concept? If Nintendo had a "Poor year" then it's competition had straight up bad ones.

Chronoman

Banned
Nintendo is publishing 2 high quality DQ games next year, Bravely Second. Their one mistake was publishing garbage like Devil's Third. Even then they still managed to publish Yokai Watch.

It literally DOES matter in a thread talking about publisher average metacritic. This isn't a Wii U vs. PS4 thread. Its a thread looking at Nintendo output as a publisher. So the apt comparison is - who is doing better as a publisher?

NIGHT-

Sin and Punishment 2, Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Epic Yarn, Dragon Quest IX, HeartGold SoulSilver

some real good games

Level maker less robust than Little Big Planet, Yoshi looks fun but not at full price, sequel to a DS game I hated and didn't review well, and remake of n64 game

I mean sure they are games but not games with much mass appeal other than Mario and even thats ehh

The level maker doesn't need to be robust to be better than LBP, because the core gameplay in LBP was garbage and felt like shit.

Nipo

You can't.

Of course you can. You just need to include average scores for first party Playstation and Microsoft games over the same period.

It is similar to how they compare student achievement at schools over years despite different tests students and teachers because they do comparisons to other schools.

KingBroly

Banned

I feel like Mario Tennis would've reviewed better if they said 'we're going to have X months of free content coming.' Maybe not completely, but somewhat. As is, there's no indication it's going to change. As is, it's clear it needed an extra 4-5 months of development for a bit of fleshing out. But it's clear it was put out now because Star Fox was delayed. If it wasn't, Mario Tennis wouldn't be out right now, IMO.

People seem to simply ignore Mario Maker for some reason. The game's fucking fantastic. It's like...probably the only good Gamepad game Nintendo's made on Wii U, tbh. It'd be worse without it.

JGCD

Neo Member

THIS SO MUCH

I could play those two games alone for month on end!!!

Mario Maker beat LBP for me in term of how easy it is to.......
1)Make a level
2)Going online to play a level
3)fun way to play online levels for exclusive content

I LOVE LBP but yea Mario maker just does it too well

(Not trying to trash LBP here, The maker is much grander, but for 2D platfroming its sorta weak)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
A pie-chart thread by TI82? Why, yes, it is.

Edge magazine
6.92 - 2015 - 12 titles
7.55 - 2014 - 11 titles
7.17 - 2013 - 16 titles
7.42 - 2012 - 12 titles
7.67 - 2011 - 13 titles
7.08 - 2010 - 18 titles
6.83 - 2009 - 16 titles
6.75 - 2008 - 15 titles
7.08 - 2007 - 22 titles
7.17 - 2006 - 20 titles

One more issue left which could change that. I could go back further if someone wanted but I got a bit bored.
Visualante, stop ruining the effect, for Pete's!

Nintendo financed the publishings of those games, even helped with the first Layton to make it a success. You are splitting hairs.

More like your are making things up and spin them so it fits your fantasy. Bloodborne's existence goes to Sony's account, none of your examples had Nintendo involved outside of localisation in the west.

Xenoblade X looks better than Bloodborne does from an artistic standpoint. That is what most reviewers are saying anyway,.

Lovecraftian Metroidvania map in which every inch feels completely unique >> Anime tropes that are now much worse than in the first Xenoblade, running through empty fields.
Speaking of which, what's going on with all that pathetic fan service in Nintendo games recently? I guess if you can't keep your quality up anymore, you gotta pander to that otaku for cheap money. Instead of censoring every second game, someone should ask why NCL pushes this shit to begin with.
It's pathetic whatever happened to this company in the last 5 years, hopefully Kimishima can pull this around with NX.

Talk about lack of self awareness.

People are comparing Nintendo's output to that of it's nearest rivals in the business.

You are the one who tries to deflect the comparisons to keep the thread on the topic of "Nintendo's year sure was shit. Full Stop. Discuss !!1!"

Chronoman

Banned
Actually, we are talking about Nintendo. It is just you who needs to derail and thread whine.

This topic is literally about Nintendo's first party output. Ridiculously using reviews with no context, no trends, to prove a point about Nintendo's output. Nonsense.

That's your opinion, and kind of a weird one but okay.
It's really not. Since the beginning the biggest and most common criticism of LBP is that it's controls are floaty and poor. I like LBP for it's versatility, but it's platforming is not good.

Raw64life

No lies detected. I own a 3DS and a Wii U and Super Mario Maker is the only game I've purchased for either system this year. I can't remember the last time I only bought 1 Nintendo game the entire year. I bought 6 last year.

oti

Banned
Bad/mediocre year for Nintendo BUT Super Mario Maker and Splatoon are both GOTY candidates, if not even greater. People will forget the Wii U but those two games will forever be two of the greatest. I'm sure about it.

They didn't publish a lot of big name quality this year. That said I found that Splatoon, Mario Maker and Yoshi were all excellent on the console side. Splatoon's content roll out hurt its scores (fairly imo, it was barebones at launch where as now its genuinely a feature filled title) and I think yoshi overall metacritic score is fair but some individual reviews were far too scathing given the quality of the overall product.

They had an off year. I can accept that. But I don't really think it was as doom and gloom as you always try to make it.

Also let me plug in that Littlebig planet is a far far far inferior product to Mario Maker. Mario Maker has way better mechanics, way more room for creativity in actual gameplay and a way more user friendly structered editor. Its a building tool, what you are building has to actually be worth playing which its not in lbp being frank.

Chronoman

Banned
They didn't publish a lot of big name quality this year. That said I found that Splatoon, Mario Maker and Yoshi were all excellent on the console side. Splatoon's content roll out hurt its scores (fairly imo, it was barebones at launch where as now its genuinely a feature filled title) and I think yoshi overall metacritic score is fair but some individual reviews were far too scathing given the quality of the overall product.

They had an off year. I can accept that. But I don't really think it was as doom and gloom as you always try to make it.

When you add in Xenoblade X, publishing Yokai, Majora 3D, and more. It was not that bad. Better than the others from a publishing standpoint

Oh, it doesn't really matter why they are the way they are. I also don't really care about the technical background of why their platforming game has bad platforming controls. The bad controls are what makes me give up on LBP games far quicker then I've given up on Mario Maker. Even a lot of the well made LBP levels are frustrating to play because of the poor controls.

Piercator

Banned
byvAEyA.png

Data derived from

And yes, I know that 2015 isn't over yet. But there are only two titles left for 2015, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

So, let's assume both will match the scores of their previous titles (which Xenoblade is unlikely to do given import impressions) that would give us a +149 for total score (90 theoretical for Xenoblade, 59 theoretical for Mystery Dungeon) and a 29 for total hardware in 2015.

Which leaves us with 70.2 average, still the lowest in the past ten years. Just some food for thought, could be because the extremely low software output this year or because of low quality titles such as Amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis.

Some people just love to make propaganda and don't care about how they do it. Man, this is ridiculous.
All I can say is, "so what"
I really don't get the intention here.
Overall, im a PS fan, but making the analysis for PS is the same lame shit. Take some of the titles that had been embarrassing for Sony (like the recently pulled it out Samurai 2) and you may have even a lower "score review for last ten years"
When you dealing with units of analysis like games you can't clutch them to make conclusions. People don't play group of games belonging to the last X years. They play 1 at the time. The analysis just don't match the type of unit.
Sorry, but this is really absurd

Complaining about bringing up other publishers in a thread that is straight up comparing year over year qualitative output is very eye opening as to the point of this thread. It was never about whether Nintendo favorably or unfavorably compares to overall market. It was just an excuse to randomly pick on Nintendo because they've had a relative down year COMPARED TO THE ALREADY HIGH BAR THAT THEY THEMSELVES SET. They aren't lagging behind industry or other publishers so I can't see another reason to even analyze this data set.

TI82

Banned
Oh, it doesn't really matter why they are the way they are. I also don't really care about the technical background of why their platforming game has bad platforming controls. The bad controls are what makes me give up on LBP games far quicker then I've given up on Mario Maker. Even a lot of the well made LBP levels are frustrating to play because of the poor controls.

Oh well, your loss.

When you add in Xenoblade X, publishing Yokai, Majora 3D, and more. It was not that bad. Better than the others from a publishing standpoint

Their better games got dragged down by stuff like Amiibo festival and Ultra Smash. It was by no means a bad year if all you really wanted to do was play their bigger published titles which is what most do.

I mean say what you want about the gaf hardcore but their wasn't a huge line of people playing fluidity in 2010 and there is not a huge line of people trying to play Stretchmo in 2015

Top Bottom